View Full Version : The Democrats' History of Racism

Articulate_Ape
10-18-2011, 01:48 PM
The story that needs to be told.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpezudbbZMA

Molon Labe
10-18-2011, 02:30 PM
good vid

On a similar note. I was watching a documentary several weeks back. Amazing how the North is always treated as the bastion of good race relations and the south as "racist"....yet it was places like Boston and Detroit where some real hell broke loose.

Same goes for Democratic party. Because they took the banner of social justice for minorities in the 50's, people get confused that they still are acting in minorities best interests. Democrats are only for minorites as long as they are voting Democrat

Novaheart
10-18-2011, 03:17 PM
good vid

On a similar note. I was watching a documentary several weeks back. Amazing how the North is always treated as the bastion of good race relations and the south as "racist"....yet it was places like Boston and Detroit where some real hell broke loose.

Same goes for Democratic party. Because they took the banner of social justice for minorities in the 50's, people get confused that they still are acting in minorities best interests. Democrats are only for minorites as long as they are voting Democrat

I have chatted with many people who seem unaware that the North was segregated, and some Canadians who were unaware that Canada "even had enough blacks to have segregated schools" much less that they actually had segregated schools. Of course even the ones who do know that often don't know that while the color line was the most official and least crossable, there were other restrictions in place for other groups of people owing to their religion or ethnicity.

noonwitch
10-18-2011, 03:44 PM
There is the modern Democratic party, then there is the beginning of the party in the reconstructed South. The beginning of the party in the south was started with the Klan, and was their way of fighting the Yankees and blacks who were moving toward equality (by force of union troops).

Then there is the Democratic party that established themselves in the 20s and 30s as the party of the average working american. This is how FDR got elected 4 times. FDR never had any ties to the Klan. LBJ is who really delivered the african american vote to the Democratic Party, and he was pretty cynical about his reasons-to get black americans to vote democratic. LBJ was a racist to the core, though.

Everyone around Detroit knows of the 1967 "civil disturbance" (they don't like to call it a riot here), but not many know about the one in the 1940s. That one was deadlier, even if it didn't do as much spectacular destruction to buildings as the 1967 riot did. The 40s riot was started by white people who thought black people were getting too uppity (this is how it was explained to me by an elderly black man). They were egged on by a catholic priest named Father Coughlin and by the minions of Henry Ford, both of whom had ties to the Klan. It was really nasty, with white marauders pulling black people off of street cars and beating them in the streets. They had to send troops into the city to establish the peace that time, too.

Molon Labe
10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
I have chatted with many people who seem unaware that the North was segregated, and some Canadians who were unaware that Canada "even had enough blacks to have segregated schools" much less that they actually had segregated schools. Of course even the ones who do know that often don't know that while the color line was the most official and least crossable, there were other restrictions in place for other groups of people owing to their religion or ethnicity.

I live in an area where you routinely see things that would blow the minds of someone living in say Philly.

A black man with a confederate flag t-shirt.......and one black gentleman that flies the confederate flag in his yard. Yeah, they know there are racists all over the place, but they also know there are a lot of misconceptions about the south.

I could give two shats for "dixie" and flying the confederate flag, but what people believe about Southern confederate heritage up north just "aint" so.

noonwitch
10-18-2011, 03:55 PM
I live in an area where you routinely see things that would blow the minds of someone living in say Philly.

A black man with a confederate flag t-shirt.......and one black gentleman that flies the confederate flag in his yard. Yeah, they know there are racists all over the place, but they also know there are a lot of misconceptions about the south.

I could give two shats for "dixie" and flying the confederate flag, but what people believe about Southern confederate heritage up north just "aint" so.

You'all can cook. I don't think that's a misconception.

Zafod
10-18-2011, 06:03 PM
LIBBOT TO THE RESCUE!!!!

fixed

Wei Wu Wei
10-18-2011, 07:30 PM
150 years ago Republicans were doing great things for blacks in America and Democrats were appealing to the many reactionary racists who couldn't deal with it.

http://i.imgur.com/RbxB1.jpg

This strategy continued for a long time.

This is very common knowledge.

Articulate_Ape
10-18-2011, 07:37 PM
150 years ago Republicans were doing great things for blacks in America and Democrats were appealing to the many reactionary racists who couldn't deal with it.

http://i.imgur.com/RbxB1.jpg

This strategy continued for a long time.

This is very common knowledge.

Common knowledge perhaps, but not common wisdom. There is a difference remember.

Rockntractor
10-18-2011, 07:40 PM

and they still do it to this day.