PDA

View Full Version : Susan Sarandon Under Fire From Catholic, Jewish Groups for Calling Pope Benedict a 'N

CueSi
10-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Susan Sarandon Under Fire From Catholic, Jewish Groups for Calling Pope Benedict a 'Nazi'

By Hollie McKay
Published October 18, 2011
FoxNews.com

EXCERPT:

Actress Susan Sarandon called Pope Benedict XVI a Nazi during a discussion session at the Hamptons Film Festival over the weekend.

Sarandon, who won an Academy Award for her role in the 1995 anti-death penalty film "Dead Man Walking,” said she had sent a copy of the book on which the movie is based to the Pope.

"The last one. Not this Nazi one we have now," she reportedly told Newsday, referring to the German-born pontiff. She later repeated her remark at the Ciroc vodka-sponsored panel.

A source tells Fox411.com that the crowd "didn't seem bothered" by Sarandon's words, and the discussion ended with the majority of the crowd praising her for everything from her work with UNICEF to her staunch support of Occupy Wall Street.

However, the Catholic League of America was quick to slam Sarandon for her "obscene" words.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/10/18/susan-sarandon-under-fire-from-catholic-and-jewish-groups-for-calling-pope/?test=faces#ixzz1bA5X3PpO

~QC

noonwitch
10-18-2011, 03:25 PM
I think the Catholic League of America/Bill Donohue are just making themselves look as foolish as Sarandon for even responding to a comment made by a celebrity liberal. Why should they even care what she thinks?Bill gets his panties in a twist every time South Park pokes fun at the Catholic Church, the man has no understanding of the words "lighten up".

Although, if Ratzinger is not culpable for being a member of the Hitler Youth when he was conscripted at age 14, George Soros is not a Nazi collaborator for the things the Nazis forced him to do as a teenager.

CueSi
10-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Although, if Ratzinger is not culpable for being a member of the Hitler Youth when he was conscripted at age 14, George Soros is not a Nazi collaborator for the things the Nazis forced him to do as a teenager.

Thing is... Ratzinger was a member in name only. He supposedly never attended a single Hitler Jugend meeting, and deserted as soon as he was conscripted into the army and pretty much apologizes to every Jew he sees. I'm serious. Send a Jew to Pope Benedict. He'll probably apologize and get him a hat or something.

Soros calls that period of time the happiest years of his life.

So...yeah. I kinda hold Soros culpable. :p

~QC

Novaheart
10-18-2011, 03:33 PM

That would depend on whether one sees signs of redemption.

Mr Ratzinger, as head of the world’s second most evil religion you are not welcome. True, your church recently “pardoned” Galileo (four centuries late), and eventually revoked its historic anti-Semitism. But the equally long-established misogyny remains. On almost all issues concerned with sex, contraception, population and reproduction your stance is illiberal, inhumane and immoral, and your propaganda claim that condoms don’t protect against AIDS is scientifically inaccurate and murderously cynical. In criminally shielding child-raping priests from justice you have placed the welfare of your church ahead of your victims. Go home to your tinpot Mussolini-concocted principality, and don’t come back.
Richard Dawkins, Newhumanist.org.uk

CueSi
10-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Richard Dawkins is atheism's Pat Robertson. And I give him as much credence as such. :p

~QC

noonwitch
10-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Thing is... Ratzinger was a member in name only. He supposedly never attended a single Hitler Jugend meeting, and deserted as soon as he was conscripted into the army and pretty much apologizes to every Jew he sees. I'm serious. Send a Jew to Pope Benedict. He'll probably apologize and get him a hat or something.

Soros calls that period of time the happiest years of his life.

So...yeah. I kinda hold Soros culpable. :p

~QC

Except that Soros was a jewish kid, who knew that if he refused to cooperate, he would be killed. Ratzinger's family might not have been given enough ration cards. There's a huge difference in the potential consequences.

Context is everything. When Soros made those comments about "the happiest time of his life" he was referring to the flexibility and resiliance of the teenaged mind. He was saying that despite the horrible things he had to do to stay alive, he was still a teenaged boy with the energy and desires of a teenaged boy. Putting his remarks in their context is something that would have defeated someone like Beck's agenda.

I'm not a huge Soros fan or anything, I just thought that attacking him for what he was forced to do by the nazis, as a jewish kid, was way over the top, even for Beck. To expect a kid, either Ratzinger or Soros, to have the fortitude of Bonhoeffer, Miep Gies or the ten Boom family is to expect too much.

JB
10-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Godwin alert!

nightflight
10-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Context is everything. When Soros made those comments about "the happiest time of his life" he was referring to the flexibility and resiliance of the teenaged mind. He was saying that despite the horrible things he had to do to stay alive, he was still a teenaged boy with the energy and desires of a teenaged boy. Putting his remarks in their context is something that would have defeated someone like Beck's agenda.

I'm not buying that. Calling it "the happiest time of my life" seems sociopathic.

CueSi
10-19-2011, 03:01 AM
Except that Soros was a jewish kid, who knew that if he refused to cooperate, he would be killed. Ratzinger's family might not have been given enough ration cards. There's a huge difference in the potential consequences.

I'm not a huge Soros fan or anything, I just thought that attacking him for what he was forced to do by the nazis, as a jewish kid, was way over the top, even for Beck. To expect a kid, either Ratzinger or Soros, to have the fortitude of Bonhoeffer, Miep Gies or the ten Boom family is to expect too much.

I'd want to see that whole sentence, noon. I don't think he's the antichrist or anything, but the sheer lack of shame as a Jew for that period of his life?

Naw, something's wrong with that ish.

I'm not looking for Sophie Muller, Bonhoeffer, Gies, Schindler or Ten Boom...but DAMN , just a ... "That period of my life sucked. I had to sell out my own people and I fucking hated it. I felt powerless." would go so far with me.

But either way, Susan Sarandon is an anti-Catholic bitch. :)

~QC

Odysseus
10-19-2011, 09:26 AM
That would depend on whether one sees signs of redemption.

Mr Ratzinger, as head of the world’s second most evil religion you are not welcome. True, your church recently “pardoned” Galileo (four centuries late), and eventually revoked its historic anti-Semitism. But the equally long-established misogyny remains. On almost all issues concerned with sex, contraception, population and reproduction your stance is illiberal, inhumane and immoral, and your propaganda claim that condoms don’t protect against AIDS is scientifically inaccurate and murderously cynical. In criminally shielding child-raping priests from justice you have placed the welfare of your church ahead of your victims. Go home to your tinpot Mussolini-concocted principality, and don’t come back.
Richard Dawkins, Newhumanist.org.uk
Dawkins? Really? :rolleyes:

He wasn't saying that he regretted what he was forced to do, he said that it was the happiest time of his life. In other words, he enjoyed what he was forced to do. Most people in similar circumstances would have survivor's guilt (or some kind of guilt), but Soros' utter lack of conscience is on display.

OTOH, Benedict's whole family resisted the Nazis, and was forced to move repeatedly due to that opposition. He was conscripted into the Hitler Youth—as required by law for all 14-year-old boys —but refused to attend meetings, which could have gotten him arrested and sent to a labor battalion, which was the juvenile version of a labor camp. He was no Nazi, and Sarandon's slander must be answered. Donahue is right to respond.

Novaheart
10-19-2011, 09:38 AM
He wasn't saying that he regretted what he was forced to do, he said that it was the happiest time of his life. In other words, he enjoyed what he was forced to do. .

The first sentence is not proof of the second. I read an article about WWII veterans who had served in combat and the psychologist was talking about the fact that many of these men despite the horrors they had witnessed and the things they had to do, remember their military service as the best years of their lives. She explained that this was usually due to the fact that while later periods in their lives may have been happier by almost any measure, the wartime experience was when they "felt most alive."

Odysseus
10-19-2011, 10:30 AM
The first sentence is not proof of the second. I read an article about WWII veterans who had served in combat and the psychologist was talking about the fact that many of these men despite the horrors they had witnessed and the things they had to do, remember their military service as the best years of their lives. She explained that this was usually due to the fact that while later periods in their lives may have been happier by almost any measure, the wartime experience was when they "felt most alive."

So, preying on his fellow Jews made Soros feel "most alive"? Sounds sociopathic to me.

fettpett
10-19-2011, 10:35 AM
So, preying on his fellow Jews made Soros feel "most alive"? Sounds sociopathic to me.

with the way he's acted since then, would there be a surprise?

Soros, classic example of a self-hating lib

nightflight
10-19-2011, 11:22 AM
There is no way you can spin "the happiest days of my life" in a way that it doesn't sound callous, sociopathic, demented, and obscene. Come on people.

noonwitch
10-19-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd want to see that whole sentence, noon. I don't think he's the antichrist or anything, but the sheer lack of shame as a Jew for that period of his life?

Naw, something's wrong with that ish.

I'm not looking for Sophie Muller, Bonhoeffer, Gies, Schindler or Ten Boom...but DAMN , just a ... "That period of my life sucked. I had to sell out my own people and I fucking hated it. I felt powerless." would go so far with me.

But either way, Susan Sarandon is an anti-Catholic bitch. :)

~QC

I've been searching, and I haven't been able to find a quote of Soros even saying that that time was the happiest time of his life. The closest I could find were transcripts of a 60 Minutes interview with Steve Kroft in which Soros is talking about the work he did for his stepfather, a man his father paid to pretend to be George's father in order to save the kid from the Holocaust. He stated that he felt no guilt about the work he did, and that if he didn't do it, someone else would have. He stated that the lesson he learned from the Holocaust is to be prepared for the worst.

Those are some cold statements, but they are not "the happiest time of my life". I'm starting to think that maybe the "happiest time of my life" quote is not an actual quote of Soros', but someone else's commentary on his remarks in the Kroft interview. Somebody who doesn't really care about accuracy, because he's a "commentator" not a "reporter" or "news anchor".

noonwitch
10-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Okay, I found the Soros quote about the happiest time of his life being the time he was a Nazi collaborator.

He made the statement in a definite context-the intro to his father's (Tivadar Soros) book, Masquarade-Dancing Around Death In Nazi-Occupied Hungary. He was referring to working as a courier with his dad for 10 months for the jewish council.

Tivadar Soros stated in his book that "As jews couldn't go to school any more, they were ordered to report to council headquarters. The children were enlisted as couriers under the command of their teachers. My . younger son, George, also became a courier. On the second day, he returned home at seven in the evening.

'What did you do all day?' 'Mostly nothing. But this afternoon I was given some notices to deliver to various addresses.' 'Did you read what the said?'. 'I even brought one home'. He handed me a small slip of paper, with a typewritten message. 'Do you know what this means?', I asked him. 'I can guess', he replied, with great seriousness. 'They'll be interned'".

His father stopped him working as a courier, and made arrangements for him to take on the identity of the godson of a mid-level Hungarian official, and George worked for him, which involved confiscating the property of the jews being sent to the camps.

The quote about the happiest time in his life was:

"It is a sacreligious thing to say, but those ten months were the happiest times of my life....We led an adventurous live and we had fun together".

It is a very insensitive thing to say, but he was referring to the things that he and his father did to survive. He wasn't saying that he enjoyed the suffering of the jews who went to the camps. He was living with a secret identity and he was 13-14 years old at the time-it would seem like a big adventure to a kid. He was a kid following his father's survival plan. There is a context to his quote.

Overall, I really don't care about Soros or Ratzinger's activities during WWII. I'm not a catholic, I could care less about such things because I know that I don't need some guy wearing a dress and a pointy hat to speak for God. I can go directly to the source. If the leaders of the catholic church want to make Pee-Wee Herman their next pope, it's their perogative to do so.

DumbAss Tanker
10-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Okay, I found the Soros quote about the happiest time of his life being the time he was a Nazi collaborator.

He made the statement in a definite context-the intro to his father's (Tivadar Soros) book, Masquarade-Dancing Around Death In Nazi-Occupied Hungary. He was referring to working as a courier with his dad for 10 months for the jewish council.

Tivadar Soros stated in his book that "As jews couldn't go to school any more, they were ordered to report to council headquarters. The children were enlisted as couriers under the command of their teachers. My . younger son, George, also became a courier. On the second day, he returned home at seven in the evening.

'What did you do all day?' 'Mostly nothing. But this afternoon I was given some notices to deliver to various addresses.' 'Did you read what the said?'. 'I even brought one home'. He handed me a small slip of paper, with a typewritten message. 'Do you know what this means?', I asked him. 'I can guess', he replied, with great seriousness. 'They'll be interned'".

His father stopped him working as a courier, and made arrangements for him to take on the identity of the godson of a mid-level Hungarian official, and George worked for him, which involved confiscating the property of the jews being sent to the camps.

The quote about the happiest time in his life was:

"It is a sacreligious thing to say, but those ten months were the happiest times of my life....We led an adventurous live and we had fun together".

It is a very insensitive thing to say, but he was referring to the things that he and his father did to survive. He wasn't saying that he enjoyed the suffering of the jews who went to the camps. He was living with a secret identity and he was 13-14 years old at the time-it would seem like a big adventure to a kid. He was a kid following his father's survival plan. There is a context to his quote.

Overall, I really don't care about Soros or Ratzinger's activities during WWII. I'm not a catholic, I could care less about such things because I know that I don't need some guy wearing a dress and a pointy hat to speak for God. I can go directly to the source. If the leaders of the catholic church want to make Pee-Wee Herman their next pope, it's their perogative to do so.

Yeh, after reading that, I think Nightflight has the right of it.

And as for Susan Sarandon - just die bitch, it's been a long, slow spiral downward for you since Rocky Horror, don't drag it out any further.

Odysseus
10-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeh, after reading that, I think Nightflight has the right of it.

And as for Susan Sarandon - just die bitch, it's been a long, slow spiral downward for you since Rocky Horror, don't drag it out any further.

I rather enjoyed her topless scene in Pretty Baby, which was after Rocky Horror. Sadly, her career isn't the only thing that's sagged since then.

Bailey
10-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I rather enjoyed her topless scene in Pretty Baby, which was after Rocky Horror. Sadly, her career isn't the only thing that's sagged since then.

How can you enjoy her boobs when there is a HUGE chance of seeing that face?

fettpett
10-19-2011, 03:03 PM

thats what the big black dot is for in still shots :D

Odysseus
10-19-2011, 04:40 PM

Back then, the face was firm, too. She was a hottie back in the day, but like Jane Fonda, the beauty masked an ugly soul.

Bailey
10-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Back then, the face was firm, too. She was a hottie back in the day, but like Jane Fonda, the beauty masked an ugly soul.

if you say so :vomit: :D

Novaheart
10-19-2011, 05:12 PM

There was a documentary on PBS in which a young Jewish man interviews women who survived the camps. One of those women was very candid, and she told some funny stories about life in the camps. She thought about what she had said, and she said, (something very close to this) "I guess that is why some of the women wouldn't be on this program. They would feel ashamed to tell you that there were times when we laughed, that the guards weren't all monsters. They probably think I am betraying the dead, but when you are in such a desperate situation, you have to laugh to survive. "

She had told a story about when they first arrived at the camp. All the womens' clothes had been put into a pile and the women had been stripped to go through delousing or something. When they got to dress, the clothes were comically inappropriate. She said that she had on a cocktail dress and a pair of slippers- in a work camp. That all the women and the guards (who were also women) suddenly realized how insane the whole thing was and broke out into laughter all at once. She went on to tell about developing a friendship with one of the female guards who "hired" her has a seamstress.