PDA

View Full Version : Obama Plagerized WaPo Cartoon During Lipstick Remark?

Gingersnap
09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
ELECTION 2008
Obama plagiarized 'lipstick speech'?
Comments almost word-for-word copy of Washington Post political cartoon

Posted: September 10, 2008
4:23 pm Eastern

By Aaron Klein
2008 WorldNetDaily

Remarks by Sen. Barack Obama yesterday leading up to his controversial "lipstick on a pig" jab at the McCain campaign mirror almost word-for-word a political cartoon published last week in the Washington Post.

Much has been made of Obama criticizing McCain's idea of "change" by stating, "You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig." Taking it as an attack McCain's vice-presidential running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin, the campaign responded with a video on the Internet today.

But less attention has been paid to Obama's statements just preceding the lipstick reference, which appear to be an un-attributed copy of the caption in a Washington Post political cartoon by Tom Toles Sept. 5.

Obama stated yesterday:

"'Watch out, George Bush, except for economic policy, health care policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy and Karl Rove-style politics we're really going to shake things up in Washington!' That's not change ... you know, you can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig."
http://i37.tinypic.com/i5n5eu.gif

The political cartoon, also mocking McCain's and Palin's concept of change, stated four days earlier:

"Watch out, Mr. Bush! With the exception of economic policy and energy policy and social issues and tax policy and foreign policy and Supreme Court appointments and Rove-style politics, we're coming in there to shake things up!"

The similarities between the cartoon and Obama's speech were first noticed by users at the Free Republic website.

I wouldn't normally link to WND (they are a little erratic) but this just seemed too bizarre to pass up and the evidence is fairly compelling.

WND (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=74881)

LibraryLady
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Toles is a vicious BDSer and LOVED by DU.

Gingersnap
09-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Toles is a vicious BDSer and LOVED by DU.

Oh, he can make any cartoons he cares to make. It's the eerie similarity between the cartoon and the remark that interest me.

Odysseus
09-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Oh, he can make any cartoons he cares to make. It's the eerie similarity between the cartoon and the remark that interest me.

This isn't Obama's first brush with plagiarism. Remember the speech that he lifted from Deval Patrick? Between Biden's record (plagiarized speeches, law review articles, etc.,) and this issue, is there an original thought between them?

That would make a great campaign spot in and of itself: "It's bad enough that Barack Obama has to stoop to smearing Sarah Palin, now it turns out that those weren't even his words." Then they can run his voice over the image of the cartoon and follow it up with, "But this isn't the first time Barack Obama or Joe Biden has taken someone else's words as their own." Then cue the Obama and Deval Patrick speeches, followed by the Biden and Neil Kinnock speeches, and close with, "For a couple of guys who claim to be full of new ideas, they sure seem to be having a hard time coming up with an original way of expressing them."

GrumpyOldLady
09-11-2008, 12:07 PM
YES HE DID!

and when asked about it he said 'YES I CAN'.

(just kidding about the 'yes I can' part)

Odysseus
09-11-2008, 12:35 PM
YES HE DID!

and when asked about it he said 'YES I CAN'.

(just kidding about the 'yes I can' part)

I believe that he said it, but I also believe that someone else said it first. :D

voiceoflg
09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
You didn't really think Obama has an original thought, did you?

Odysseus
09-11-2008, 12:38 PM
You didn't really think Obama has an original thought, did you?

No, but I thought that at least one of his speechwriters did.