PDA

View Full Version : Material Girl, charity, apparently, does not begin at home.

Apocalypse
10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
http://reason.com/blog/2011/10/22/madonna-not-her-brothers-keepe

For the Material Girl, charity, apparently, does not begin at home. Born and raised in Bay City, Michigan, Madonna gave $135,600 in campaign donations to Democrats last year. And two years ago she contributed $11 million of her own money toward Raising Malawi, an elite academy she founded for impoverished girls in Malawi. The academy was abandoned this year after $3.8 million was spent without a brick ever being laid.

But Michigan Messenger, the local Traverse City newspaper, reported yesterday that when it comes to her own brother, the 50-year-old superstar is AWOL. The city’s exceptional network of services for people on the street has made it a magnet for homeless people all over Michigan. And among them is Anthony Ciccone.

Ciccone told the paper that he’s been among the city’s homeless for a year and a half since losing a job at his father’s vineyard and winery in Suttons Bay. The paper reports:

He said that it annoys him that some people are amused that a person from such a high-profile family would end up sleeping, as he does, under the Union St. bridge.

“My family turned their back on me, basically, when I was having a hard time,” he said. “You think I haven’t answered this kind of question a bazillion times — why my sister is a multibazillionarie, and I’m homeless on the street?”

“Never say never,” he said. “This could happen to anybody.”
“I don’t have any income, I’ve got to go collect bottles and cans, do odd jobs.”

Despite the uncommon community effort to help the homeless here, there are gaps, and Ciccone was among several locals who got cold-related injuries last winter.

“They can’t do everything all the time for everybody, they just don’t have the resources,” he said. “These people that run these things are all volunteers, they don’t get paid to do these things.”

In the cold seasons the church shelters usher people out at 8 am and city rules against camping and camp fires make staying warm difficult.

“Where do you go at 8 o’clock on a Sunday morning and you have no money in your pocket?”

If you spend enough time on frozen concrete without proper insulation you will get frostbite, he said. “You have no idea how gruesome it is.”
“You get nerve damage. That’s the milder stage, in the severe stage you have tissue damage, that is when you lose parts of your body.”

“I got frostbite on my feet last winter, Ciccone said. “A friend of mine lost all ten toes. Several have died of hypothermia.”

“You go and find a place to stay warm like the lobby at the jail, or you take a walk to get your feet warm and go to Meijer’s and sit in the lobby there.”
Madonna is a big fan of Obama (obviously), even campaigning against John McCain (who has devoted his life to raising his adopted children from Bangladesh). But instead of supporting someone who would spread other people’s wealth to her brother while she spreads her own wealth to other people, wouldn’t it be nicer (and more efficient) if she just spread her own wealth to her own brother?

----------------

Surprise surprise, another bleeding heart lib, not willing to cough up a couple of bucks to help a suffering family member.

AmPat
10-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Madonna is a big fan of Obama (obviously), even campaigning against John McCain (who has devoted his life to raising his adopted children from Bangladesh). But instead of supporting someone who would spread other people’s wealth to her brother while she spreads her own wealth to other people, wouldn’t it be nicer (and more efficient) if she just spread her own wealth to her own brother?

----------------

Surprise surprise, another bleeding heart lib, not willing to cough up a couple of bucks to help a suffering family member.She is merely following the Potentate's example toward his own brother. :cool:

noonwitch
10-24-2011, 11:24 AM
He lost his job at his father's vineyard and winery. You don't lose jobs like that without being a complete fuckup.

Traverse City is a cold place in the winter. They also get a lot of snow off of Lake Michigan. There are programs to help homeless people there, but if it's a single, homeless man, he'd be better off at the Mel Trotter mission in Grand Rapids or the Detroit Rescue Mission in Detroit. I suspect there is a reason why he is not getting help, and that it's probably the reason that got him fired from his dad's winery.

DumbAss Tanker
10-24-2011, 11:36 AM
He lost his job at his father's vineyard and winery. You don't lose jobs like that without being a complete fuckup.

Yep. "When I was having a hard time"' probably means drugged up during every waking hour for weeks on end, possibly with theft or embezzlement from the family business thrown in for extra crunchy goodness.

Novaheart
10-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Surprise surprise, another bleeding heart lib, not willing to cough up a couple of bucks to help a suffering family member.

I'd like to hear her side before passing judgement. I've known of a couple of families who no longer help a family member or give him access to their home or vulnerable family members because alcoholism, drug addiction, or mental illness has rendered him untrustworthy and unable or unwilling to be helped.

More to the point, Madonna's relationship with her brother is none of our business, if indeed she has a brother and if indeed this man is her brother.

Novaheart
10-24-2011, 11:53 AM
She is merely following the Potentate's example toward his own brother. :cool:

I have a cousin whose father has had several litters with wandering dogs after my aunt divorced him. Those people are not my relations, nor does my cousin need to claim them.

noonwitch
10-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I have a cousin whose father has had several litters with wandering dogs after my aunt divorced him. Those people are not my relations, nor does my cousin need to claim them.

As I tell the kids on my caseload:

"Keep track of your siblings, and be nice to them whenever possible. You never know when you might need a kidney".

But I know what you mean about wandering men. I half-expect some guy whose mother was a prostitute in Seoul in the 50s to show up on my doorstep claiming to be my brother. If he has blue eyes like my dad's, I'll know it's true.

Novaheart
10-24-2011, 02:30 PM
As I tell the kids on my caseload:

"Keep track of your siblings, and be nice to them whenever possible. You never know when you might need a kidney".

But I know what you mean about wandering men. I half-expect some guy whose mother was a prostitute in Seoul in the 50s to show up on my doorstep claiming to be my brother. If he has blue eyes like my dad's, I'll know it's true.

You want to know something really cool? When I told my cousin (same cousin) about my kidney problems, he was kind and understanding. About two weeks later he told me that he had spoken with his doctor and a person involved with transplants, and that he would get tested if needed to be a donor for me. I was wrecked by that. I can't wait to tell my nephrologist so she can get that look of concern and superior knowledge on her face and tell me,

"You know Nova, the chances of your cousin being a match are quite slim."

"Perhaps, but I haven't told you that Georgie is my maternal first cousin, my paternal fourth cousin through his father and that my parents are sixth cousins to each other." That's why I call him my cousinbrother.

AmPat
10-24-2011, 02:35 PM

Are you insinuating that Obama is a bastard?:confused::cool:

Odysseus
10-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Wandering dogs? Should this be in the bestiality thread?

CueSi
10-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Yep. "When I was having a hard time"' probably means drugged up during every waking hour for weeks on end, possibly with theft or embezzlement from the family business thrown in for extra crunchy goodness.

Yeah... that's what I was thinking. If that's the case, I can't blame Madge on this one. If that's NOT the case, then get me my torch and pitchfork. :p

Wandering dogs? Should this be in the bestiality thread?

Naw... I think "wandering dog" was his gently obtuse way of saying "aintshyt ho". :p

~QC

Novaheart
10-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Are you insinuating that Obama is a bastard?:confused::cool:

I think that technically he is, given that his father was not legally eligible to marry his mother, given that he was already married. Obama is a distant cousin of mine, but not the one to whom I was referring.

Hawkgirl
10-24-2011, 10:05 PM
I suspect she's given him plenty of hand outs through the years, with little effect.

You are your brother's keeper...to a point.

Apocalypse
10-24-2011, 11:35 PM
I suspect she's given him plenty of hand outs through the years, with little effect.

You are your brother's keeper...to a point.
Problem is, Madonna is a very public liberal who likes to preach to others about how they need to give and live.

To be brave is to love someone unconditionally, without expecting anything in return. To just give. That takes courage, because we don't want to fall on our faces or leave ourselves open to hurt.

Seems she likes to tell others how to live, but doesn't do so her self.

AmPat
10-25-2011, 10:39 AM
No doubt the brother is a loser. He is still a loser in need. Material girl has no problem being a public touchy-feely liberal, but when her ideology met reality, she chose. What she chose invalidates her preachy liberalism and she loses any credibility toward charity. I may have waited on her brother yesterday at a local food pantry. No celebrities were present.

noonwitch
10-25-2011, 01:05 PM
No doubt the brother is a loser. He is still a loser in need. Material girl has no problem being a public touchy-feely liberal, but when her ideology met reality, she chose. What she chose invalidates her preachy liberalism and she loses any credibility toward charity. I may have waited on her brother yesterday at a local food pantry. No celebrities were present.

She is the Material Girl.

Madonna does nothing for her home state. That might be because we still prefer Aretha to her.