PDA

View Full Version : Your interactions about this OWS movement?

djones520
10-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm curious if other people are discussing this issue with their friends, and what is being said. This is a conversation I had today with a friend of mine.

Some people aren't getting it.
A well-written response.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/302997_10150430734175225_714315224_10699874_211956 695_n.jpg

This was his original post. I responded with this.

Actually, there are several things in there that completely express what this is about. One word to be exact. CHOICE. There is a "counter picture" circulating around about someone bitching about the debt they are in, but they do not ackn...owledge that all that debt was made by their own CHOICE. No one forced it onto them, they asked for it, and are now complaining about it. I will give not one ounce of sympathy for those folks. Nor anyone else who blames other people for the choices they made. The complete and total lack of personal responsibility that has infected our nation today is the root cause of this movement, and I personally find it disgusting.

He counters.

Right...all of these people in America, Europe, hell, even the Arab countries that revolted/are revolting are all just looking for a handout. It has nothing to do with the distribution wealth, and the means in place to maintain the status quo.

My last response, edited the name out.

XXXX, pay attention to what these people are demanding. They are demanding that all student loans just be forgiven. They are demanding a $20 an hour minimum wage. They are demanding our government spend more then 2 trillion dollars more in making their life easier. They are demanding hand outs so they don't have to get off their lazy asses and making a living like we do. This is about jealousy, plain and simple. It's about people who don't want to work, but want all the perks of it, and fuck the rest of us who have tried to make our own way in life. It IS about a lack of personal responsibility. You want to drag other issues into it, that can be debated seperately, because it's a seperate issue. The whole root cause of this from the very beginning has never been anything other then "They have it, and I want it."

Odysseus
10-25-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't deal with too many people who sympathize with these idiots. Most of the people that I associate with have jobs and pay their bills. They have no patience for these posers.

Arroyo_Doble
10-25-2011, 01:25 PM
I haven't really talked with anyone about it. My friends are all over the political spectrum but it hasn't come up for serious discussion. For my part, I think they are three years too late.

Tecate
10-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I haven't really talked with anyone about it. My friends are all over the political spectrum but it hasn't come up for serious discussion. For my part, I think they are three years too late.
I agree. The total cost of the bailout wasn't $800 billion, it was more like $23.7 Trillion (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aY0tX8UysIaM) and that number has not been updated for over two years unless I missed it, which is quite possible.

I do remember seeing a ~$28 trillion(ish) number somewhere, but I'm too lazy to dig for it right now... Like it really makes any difference at this point.

Rockntractor
10-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Cannibalism is the answer, we need to make them hungrier and more attracted to each other.

Tecate
10-25-2011, 01:51 PM
And don't forget this lovely little nugget... The derivatives. Yippeeee!

Four Biggest Banks in America have Huge Leverage (http://usawatchdog.com/four-biggest-banks-in-america-have-huge-leverage/)

1.) JP MORGAN CHASE BANK NA OH

$78.1 trillion OTC derivatives

2.) CITIBANK NATIONAL ASSN

$56.1 trillion OTC derivatives

3.) BANK OF AMERICA NA NC

$53.15 trillion OTC derivatives

4.) GOLDMAN SACHS BANK USA NY

$47.7 trillion OTC derivatives

And this little gem too...

HOLY BAILOUT - Federal Reserve Now Backstopping $75 Trillion Of Bank Of America's Derivatives Trades (http://dailybail.com/home/holy-bailout-federal-reserve-now-backstopping-75-trillion-of.html)

Odysseus
10-25-2011, 03:26 PM

Six years, actually. In 2005, John McCain called for more scrutiny of Fannie and Freddie, and was demogogued by Barney Frank for wanting to deny loans to poor people. The calls for increased oversight went nowhere, and three years later, the housing bubble burst with a vengeance.

Tecate
10-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Six years, actually. In 2005, John McCain called for more scrutiny of Fannie and Freddie, and was demogogued by Barney Frank for wanting to deny loans to poor people. The calls for increased oversight went nowhere, and three years later, the housing bubble burst with a vengeance.
But not before the banks leveraged that shit out to the absolute max, knowing exactly what they were doing in the process. Why not, when the taxpayers get to eat it with a bailout?

It goes back more than six years and is an equally bi-partisan fuck up. Neither party gets a free pass on this... Both are guilty of allowing the banks to screw us over.

Odysseus
10-25-2011, 05:08 PM
But not before the banks leveraged that shit out to the absolute max, knowing exactly what they were doing in the process. Why not, when the taxpayers get to eat it with a bailout?

It goes back more than six years and is an equally bi-partisan fuck up. Neither party gets a free pass on this... Both are guilty of allowing the banks to screw us over.

It does go back further than six years, but it isn't bi-partisan. It actually started with the Community Reinvestment Act, which was the first law that forced banks to make loans in depressed areas, regardless of the credit-worthiness of the applicants. The banks were not permitted to conduct any business that required federal approval (like issuing stock, mergers, acquisitions or pretty much anything else) unless the could show that they were "equal opportunity lenders", which meant that they were pushing bad paper. This was passed under Jimmy Carter. The next wave of idiocy came under Clinton, when the act was modified to allow the establishment of derivatives of mortgages, which passed the risk on to shareholders. Also, keep in mind that Fannie and Freddie owned more than 3/4 of the subprime mortgages in America. It wasn't the banks that did this, it was the feds, and one party in particular.

Tecate
10-25-2011, 05:56 PM
It does go back further than six years, but it isn't bi-partisan. It actually started with the Community Reinvestment Act, which was the first law that forced banks to make loans in depressed areas, regardless of the credit-worthiness of the applicants. The banks were not permitted to conduct any business that required federal approval (like issuing stock, mergers, acquisitions or pretty much anything else) unless the could show that they were "equal opportunity lenders", which meant that they were pushing bad paper. This was passed under Jimmy Carter. The next wave of idiocy came under Clinton, when the act was modified to allow the establishment of derivatives of mortgages, which passed the risk on to shareholders. Also, keep in mind that Fannie and Freddie owned more than 3/4 of the subprime mortgages in America. It wasn't the banks that did this, it was the feds, and one party in particular.
And remember how they completely nationalized Fannie and Freddie right before the collapse that they saw coming because they engineered it? Wow, dump all the losses on the taxpayers and sneak out the back door with the massively leveraged profits... Then demand a bailout to protect those profits. What a fraud and a scam... The biggest in human history to be accurate.

Paulson stood up there and asked for $750 billion in bailout money for "subprime" mortgages and then gave it to the banks after he got the money. Another in your face fraud. That $750 billion is now tens of trillions. Voting Republican is going to somehow fix this? I seriously doubt it.

Rockntractor
10-25-2011, 06:27 PM
A Voting Republican is going to somehow fix this? I seriously doubt it.
Cain is a different kind of Republican.

Tecate
10-25-2011, 10:33 PM
My gut tells me that he's just the current flavor of the month, just like Bachman and then Perry. In 2-3 weeks, it'll be all about somebody else.

Rockntractor
10-25-2011, 10:41 PM
My gut tells me that he's just the current flavor of the month, just like Bachman and then Perry. In 2-3 weeks, it'll be all about somebody else.

They will try to feed us Mittens.....................let's fool them!

Tipsycatlover
10-26-2011, 09:26 AM
The OWS parasite class should be left alone. Stay where they are. There is no better object lesson in the world than the graphic depiction of liberal parasites in charge.

txradioguy
10-26-2011, 09:34 AM

Not according to the 100%'ers.

fettpett
10-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Not according to the 100%'ers.

who do they want? cripes those people piss me off...Cain's as close as we're going to get and they still aren't happy, fuck'm

Cain will be the nominee, not Mitt, not Perry, sure as fuck not Paul.

txradioguy
10-26-2011, 09:57 AM
who do they want? cripes those people piss me off...Cain's as close as we're going to get and they still aren't happy, fuck'm

Cain will be the nominee, not Mitt, not Perry, sure as fuck not Paul.

They want Ron Paul with Pat Buchannan as his running mate. They are as good an example of isolationist narrow minded political regressionists as you're gonna find.

And anyone who disagrees with their pre-WWI point of view about how this country SHOULD be run is a Lib a racist or worse.

These 100%'ers think they are the guardians of the Holy Grail of Conservatism when they are closer in worldview to the nutjobs at DU than most people on this forum.

djones520
10-30-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm getting a little sick of the "poor is me" protestor schtick. Laws are there for a reason. The Tea Party was villified as a violent, racist, protest when there was never any proof of such actions. They applied for their permits, clean...ed up their messes, didn't obstruct traffic, didn't destroy public property, etc... OWS protests around the country are breaking the law repeatedly, including the Denver one, with tresspassing, violence, littering, theft, sexual assault, public acts of lewdness, drug use, and god knows what else. You sleep in the bed you make. Hell some of them our encouraging violence on the scale of shooting the police. I have ZERO sympathy to give for these people.See More

I just kinda exploded on a friend on facebook. Had to delete a post of mine where I attacked her for bringing her three year old daughter to Occupy Denver, but I let this and some other things stand.

SarasotaRepub
10-30-2011, 05:19 PM
I just kinda exploded on a friend on facebook. Had to delete a post of mine where I attacked her for bringing her three year old daughter to Occupy Denver, but I let this and some other things stand.

You might as well expect a pro mil stance from mike_c. :D

djones520
10-30-2011, 05:24 PM
You might as well expect a pro mil stance from mike_c. :D

I'd love to have a face to face conversation with him one day. Well... it would be more of a fist to face, repeatedly type of conversation. :D

Tipsycatlover
10-30-2011, 08:12 PM
I went to Occupy LA. The site is a haven for the city's many homeless. One mentally ill woman has staked out a few feet of ground that she is protecting as sovereign sacred sustainable ground. Poor thing. The one thing that strikes me about the college age, and in college is how ignorant they are. Everything is regurgitated buzz words. They don't think. I asked one young man what he would do if what he wanted happened. THe government seized the assets and property of the rich, then refused to redistribute it. This kid could not imagine such a thing! Of COURSE the governent would be generous with the poor. That's what it is supposed to do, OORRRR, they could protest!

SarasotaRepub
10-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I went to Occupy LA. The site is a haven for the city's many homeless. One mentally ill woman has staked out a few feet of ground that she is protecting as sovereign sacred sustainable ground. Poor thing. The one thing that strikes me about the college age, and in college is how ignorant they are. Everything is regurgitated buzz words. They don't think. I asked one young man what he would do if what he wanted happened. THe government seized the assets and property of the rich, then refused to redistribute it. This kid could not imagine such a thing! Of COURSE the governent would be generous with the poor. That's what it is supposed to do, OORRRR, they could protest!

Too bad you couldn't have gotten a recording.:(:D

Tipsycatlover
11-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Too bad you couldn't have gotten a recording.:(:D

The Occupy LA crowd got two hours on local radio to spew their pus. A more ignorant crowd I have never seen. Ever.