PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry comes out against Confederate flag license plate.

JB
10-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Rick Perry comes out against Confederate flag license plate.
Texas Gov. Rick Perry has come out against the marketing of a Confederate license plate in his state, an issue that could come up again in his bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

"That's just a part of history . . . . You don't need to scrape that wound again," Perry said. "It just doesn't need to happen." <portions snipped>Ruh-Roh Raggy (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rick-perry-comes-against-confederate-flag-licence-plates-192708770.html)

Starbuck
10-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Gee. Wonder what Cain thinks of a Confederate License plate....:D

Tipsycatlover
10-27-2011, 08:37 PM
He keeps not doing himself any good!

Rockntractor
10-27-2011, 08:45 PM
He keeps not doing himself any good!

I swear sometimes these guys are running against themselves.

Chuck58
10-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Perry needs to get a clue. Maybe watching this YouTube video, made in 2008, will wake him up. Mr. Edgerton is still carrying the flag today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8hPo6mYnks

txradioguy
10-28-2011, 02:16 AM
Rick Perry comes out against Confederate flag license plate.Ruh-Roh Raggy (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rick-perry-comes-against-confederate-flag-licence-plates-192708770.html)

OMG now we absolutely can't vote for him!

:rolleyes:

Seriously?

WTF People? With all the things that are wrong about Obama...wrong with where this country is going...and with a chance to elect someone who can slow down if not out right reverse the disaster of the last 4 years...you want to nitpick over whether one of our potential nominees didn't approve of a Confederate Flag license plate?

Again I ask WTF?

Do you realize what a field day the media...not to mention Obama and the DNC would have with this in a general election if Perry supported this?

linda22003
10-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Seriously?

WTF People? With all the things that are wrong about Obama...wrong with where this country is going...and with a chance to elect someone who can slow down if not out right reverse the disaster of the last 4 years...you want to nitpick over whether one of our potential nominees didn't approve of a Confederate Flag license plate?

You're showing an alarming grasp of perspective. :D

djones520
10-28-2011, 08:52 AM

Seriously?

Again I ask WTF?

Do you realize what a field day the media...not to mention Obama and the DNC would have with this in a general election if Perry supported this?

I'll take this one further. Why did it even come up? Why put himself in the position to get bashed by either side over such a small issue it shouldn't even be on the President's plate?

txradioguy
10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
I'll take this one further. Why did it even come up? Why put himself in the position to get bashed by either side over such a small issue it shouldn't even be on the President's plate?

IMHO I don't think he did. For all we know he either passed on or vetoed legislation that would have allowed for this...something that would have gone unnoticed any other time.

But he's running for president so someone is gonna go through everything he does regarding the State of Texas with a fine tooth comb hoping to catch any little bit of dirt.

djones520
10-28-2011, 09:01 AM
IMHO I don't think he did. For all we know he either passed on or vetoed legislation that would have allowed for this...something that would have gone unnoticed any other time.

But he's running for president so someone is gonna go through everything he does regarding the State of Texas with a fine tooth comb hoping to catch any little bit of dirt.

It was brought up in an interview with a Florida news paper.

Reading it though, it seems that this shouldn't even be the issue discussed. What should be is his comment about keeping the "birther movement" alive.

Want to talk about shooting yourself in the foot, thats what would do it.

Edit: Actually I misread that. Apparently he said that in an earlier interview, and then said in this one that he believes the President is a natural born citizen.

txradioguy
10-28-2011, 09:02 AM
What should be is his comment about keeping the "birther movement" alive.

Let people like Trump bang that silly drum. If Perry is truly serious about wanting to be the nominee he'll leave that birther crap alone.

Arroyo_Doble
10-28-2011, 09:26 AM
It was brought up in an interview with a Florida news paper.

Reading it though, it seems that this shouldn't even be the issue discussed. What should be is his comment about keeping the "birther movement" alive.

Edit: Actually I misread that. Apparently he said that in an earlier interview, and then said in this one that he believes the President is a natural born citizen.

This is one of those things that just come up. The Sons of Confederate Veterans wants a specialty license plate like other organizations have. For example, the Knights of Columbus:

http://kofcknights.org/Councils/lplate(1).jpg

It is a decision of a nine person board to accept or reject their application. It isn't really a legislative process and the only connection to Perry is his authority as governor to appoint individuals to the board.

This is a non-issue. It is generic silliness and another indication how unserious our nation's political debate has become.

AmPat
10-28-2011, 12:00 PM
This is one of those things that just come up. The Sons of Confederate Veterans wants a specialty license plate like other organizations have. For example, the Knights of Columbus:

http://kofcknights.org/Councils/lplate(1).jpg

It is a decision of a nine person board to accept or reject their application. It isn't really a legislative process and the only connection to Perry is his authority as governor to appoint individuals to the board.

This is a non-issue. It is generic silliness and another indication how unserious our nation's political debate has become.
I agree. This is interesting in what you generalized. Just where do you lay the blame for the "silliness and unseriousness?"

djones520
10-28-2011, 12:02 PM
I agree. This is interesting in what you generalized. Just where do you lay the blame for the "silliness and unseriousness?"

I'd say mostly on the people asking the questions.

AmPat
10-28-2011, 12:13 PM
I'd say mostly on the people asking the questions.

I'm testing AD's level of honesty. I want to see if he stands by his generalization and if so, who gets most of the blame.

On edit: I expect 1. no response or, 2. A lengthy, pseudo-intellectual quibbling attempting to blame both polar ideologies.

Arroyo_Doble
10-28-2011, 04:13 PM

On the people who consume it.

AmPat
10-28-2011, 07:12 PM
On the people who consume it.

Isn't that a typical liberal,(read stupid) non answer?:rolleyes: How does one "consume" what doesn't exist?
Care to try again with an adult answer?:cool:

noonwitch
10-31-2011, 10:40 AM

Because he already got bashed over the name of the hunting ranch-not that I think it's a big deal, but some did-not just liberals, Herman Cain got some entertaining sound bites out of it all.

Novaheart
10-31-2011, 11:01 AM

It is not generic silliness: it's a litmus test to see if a candidate can be drawn into conflict with the Southern Poverty Law Center, the ACLU, the NAACP, and knee-jerk liberal doctrine in general.

Demonizing white people, European culture, and especially southern American European people and culture is a full time job of those who wish to deflect from the reality that many of the major problems in our society are disproportionately generated from minority communities. It's easier to paint those who oppose illegal and mass immigration as racist if you can define them by race, region, or culture. It's easier to marginalize the majority if you can paint it as out of step.

It's also important to remember that it's not just some caucasian asshole at the St Pete Times having a war on the Confederate flag, it's a chunk of an entire generation who were taught about America Teh Debbil by the likes of Howard Zinn and his devotees. We talk about terrorist anchor babies, Muslims born here to parents who moved here with the intent of creating American citizens determined to destroy America, we also have a crop of first, second, and third generation Americans of Eastern European descent who appear to be taking another route, through academia, to foment cultural breakdown in this country. They called themselves refugees, perhaps they were exiles.

txradioguy
10-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Demonizing white people, European culture, and especially southern American European people and culture is a full time job of those who wish to deflect from the reality that many of the major problems in our society are disproportionately generated from minority communities. It's easier to paint those who oppose illegal and mass immigration as racist if you can define them by race, region, or culture. It's easier to marginalize the majority if you can paint it as out of step.

You just summarized the entire campaign strategy of the DNC...the DSCC...the legacy media and this Administration.

I don't know what's more pathetic...that they still trot out this tired old lie...or that people still fall for it.

RobJohnson
11-04-2011, 01:47 AM
Let people like Trump bang that silly drum. If Perry is truly serious about wanting to be the nominee he'll leave that birther crap alone.

I loved Trump's rant about Jon Stewart yesterday.

Hansel
11-04-2011, 05:28 AM

One step further. Why did Perry bring it up? He made his nest so now he can lay in it.