PDA

View Full Version : Roger Ebert on Sarah Palin

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Perfect take on Sarah Palin:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews/1156080,091008ebertpalin.article

I would also want someone who didn't make a teeny little sneer when referring to "people who go to the Ivy League." When I was a teen I dreamed of going to Harvard, but my dad, an electrician, told me, "Boy, we don't have the money. Thank your lucky stars you were born in Urbana and can go to the University of Illinois right here in town." So I did, very happily. Although Palin gets laughs when she mentions the "elite" Ivy League, she sure did attend the heck out of college.

Five different schools in six years. What was that about?

And how can a politician her age have never have gone to Europe? My dad had died, my mom was working as a book-keeper and I had a job at the local newspaper when, at 19, I scraped together $240 for a charter flight to Europe. I had Arthur Frommer's $5 a Day under my arm, started in London, even rented a Vespa and drove in the traffic of Rome. A few years later, I was able to send my mom, along with the $15 a Day book.

You don't need to be a pointy-headed elitist to travel abroad. You need curiosity and a hunger to see the world. What kind of a person (who has the money) arrives at the age of 44 and has only been out of the country once, on an official tour to Iraq? Sarah Palin's travel record is that of a provincial, not someone who is equipped to deal with global issues.

Shannon
09-11-2008, 01:26 PM
The movie review guy?:rolleyes:

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 01:28 PM
The movie review guy?:rolleyes:

One of hte best newspaper writers ever.

gator
09-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I have been to Europe, South America, Southeast Asia and Australia. You can throw in Canada and Mexico also.

The rest of the world pretty well sucks.

Although there are a few interesting things to see there is nothing much worth absorbing.

She has never gone to Europe because she had other priorities. What is so difficut about that for dickheads like Elbert to understand? Who really gives a shit what Elbert thinks anyhow?

Rebel Yell
09-11-2008, 01:29 PM

Apparently better htan you.:D

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 01:30 PM
I have been to Europe, South America, Southeast Asia and Australia. You can throw in Canada and Mexico also.

The rest of the world pretty well sucks.
And you can make that judgment since you've been to all those places. Palin cant, and shes a heartbeat away from being president.

jinxmchue
09-11-2008, 01:34 PM

And he thinks Russ Meyer movies are the best movies ever.

(For anyone who doesn't know, Russ Meyer was a pervert who made really crappy movies which had the sole purpose of exploiting the naked figures of large-breasted women.)

Shannon
09-11-2008, 01:35 PM
And you can make that judgment since you've been to all those places. Palin cant, and shes a heartbeat away from being president.

Of AMERICA, right? Traveling the world is suddenly a prerequisite for the presidency?:rolleyes:

jinxmchue
09-11-2008, 01:35 PM

I wonder how many foreign countries George Washington visited. Or Jefferson. Or Lincoln.

jinxmchue
09-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Of AMERICA, right? Traveling the world is suddenly a prerequisite for the presidency?:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's in the Constitutional amendment after the one that established the 57th state.

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 01:39 PM
I wonder how many foreign countries George Washington visited. Or Jefferson. Or Lincoln.

Jefferson was the United States ambassador to France and George Washington served in the British Army. You're colossally fucking stupid.

jinxmchue
09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Jefferson was the United States ambassador to France and George Washington served in the British Army. You're colossally fucking stupid.

So having visited one other country each makes them qualified to be president. Gov. Palin visited Germany. I guess you have to now agree that she's qualified.

And I notice you didn't mention anything about Lincoln. How many other presidents didn't set foot outside the U.S. before or even while they were in office?

Of course, all of this is beside the point, which was my point. I'm not surprised that escaped you. You see, Eyeshithead, there's no prerequisite that a person must be well-traveled in order to be qualified for the offices of Vice President and President of the U.S. It's a load of made-up b.s. by liberals like yourself because you don't have any REAL issues to attack Gov. Palin on. She's kicking your sorry asses simply by standing still.

linda22003
09-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Speaking of colossally fucking stupid, are you under the impression that George Washington served in the British Army in Britain? :p A short visit to Barbados was the only time GW left what is now the United States.

Shannon
09-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Speaking of colossally fucking stupid, are you under the impression that George Washington served in the British Army in Britain? :p A short visit to Barbados was the only time GW left what is now the United States.

Dammit! I have to be quicker around here!

LibraryLady
09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
The only time Washington ever left the US was to go to Barbados.

JB
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Guess we won't be seeing eyepuke in this thread any longer. He has a habit of not returning to a thread after he has his ass handed to him.

If it weren't for the creation of new threads he would have to stop posting here. :p

jinxmchue
09-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Guess we won't be seeing eyepuke in this thread any longer. He has a habit of not returning to a thread after he has his ass handed to him.

If it weren't for the creation of new threads he would have to stop posting here. :p

Cut and run: just like they want to do in Iraq (where we're winning).

LibraryLady
09-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I cite everything I post here to a degree that is borderline insane. I try to use the best sources possible, sometimes they do fall through

He's photo shopping a picture of George Washington at Downing Street.:D

Cold Warrior
09-11-2008, 02:18 PM
While I don't particularly agree with Eyelids' line of argument, I do think it troubling that Palin effectively has never been outside of the US (her quick tour of Kuwait, Iraq, and Germany nonwithstanding). Comparison with Washington, Jefferson, or Lincoln is not really valid for a number of reasons, including: (1) foreign policy was less important during their presidencies, as America was involved much more with its own affairs (westward expansion, Civil War, etc.), than with foreign entaglements and (2) travel at the time was significantly more time-consuming than in modern times.

I've heard Ebert's argument before, i.e., that it shows a lack of curiousity, and while that may or may not be true, it certainly does provide fora much more restricted basis upon whichto make decisions regarding foreign policy. To understand the true concerns of the Eastern Europeans regarding the deployment of a missle shield, Muslims, and/or Russians, for example, it is extremely useful to have been in Eastern Europe. To understand Islam, it's helpful to have actually been in a Muslim country (outside of the official government cocoon) wherein prayer is called five times a day. And so on.

It is, for me at least, one of several troubling things about Palin.

Shannon
09-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, ummm, I don't care to understand Islam. Especially today.

JB
09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
While I...<snipped for space>Fair enough.

I'll just add that to understand leadership you should have led.

Cold Warrior
09-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Fair enough.

I'll just add that to understand leadership you should have led.

On that, we also agree. I certainly am not pushing Obama; I simply have problems with Palin. While I had fully intended to vote for McCain (as evidenced by my many posts here in support of him when others were vilifying him), a Ron Paul write-in is starting to look more attractive.

Shannon
09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
On that, we also agree. I certainly am not pushing Obama; I simply have problems with Palin. While I had fully intended to vote for McCain (as evidenced by my many posts here in support of him when others were vilifying him), a Ron Paul write-in is starting to look more attractive.

Now who's the whacky-whacky?:eek:

gator
09-11-2008, 02:45 PM

Palin changes nothing. She is fun to talk about and you have to like her. However, at the end of the day nothing will change with a McCain-Palin ticket. It will be better than Obama but then that isn't saying much.

The cost of government will still increase. The debt of the country will still be substantial and we will not seal the borders or send home the Illegals. We will still be in an Interventionist mode all over the world. We will continue to spend a third of the GNP on government and no telling what McCain will compromise with the Democrats on, just like Reagan and Bush. Entitlement programs will still be in effect. I am still pissed at Reagan for a tremendous tax increase, growing the Federal budget and closing the NFA Class III Registry. All compromises.

JB
09-11-2008, 02:47 PM
a Ron Paul write-in is starting to look more attractive.Ug. Don't do that dude.

Can your illegal alien girlfriend vote? Tell her to pull for McCain.

And don't mention that other guys name out loud fer chrissake.

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Im just saying Washington and Jefferson definitely had more foriegn policy experience working with people from different countries than Palin has.

Gingersnap
09-11-2008, 03:09 PM
This is the 21st century people. While doing the student travel thing may be a lot of fun, it hardly prepares anyone to access deep insights into the national consciousness of other countries. I've lived and worked in Sweden and I still have no unique understanding of the monumental guilt trip that country has been on for 100 years. And I had the advantage of speaking the language and having chatty relatives there.

If you want to learn more about another country you can do a good job of it by befriending people in that country over the Internet and talking with them. You can talk to dozens or hundreds without having minders or travel restrictions or other problems. You can compare what those people say to what their press says and compare that to the foreign press. You can look at what people are proud of and what they'd like you to see but you can also look at things they would not like you to see.

Travel has a lot of good points for people who enjoy it but to say that travel (especially tourist travel) is the only good way to develop the type of understanding about a country that a politician would need is just silly. This is a holdover from the days when the Grand Tour was the mark of a well educated gentleman.

Cold Warrior
09-11-2008, 03:12 PM
This is the 21st century people. While doing the student travel thing may be a lot of fun, it hardly prepares anyone to access deep insights into the national consciousness of other countries. I've lived and worked in Sweden and I still have no unique understanding of the monumental guilt trip that country has been on for 100 years. And I had the advantage of speaking the language and having chatty relatives there.

If you want to learn more about another country you can do a good job of it by befriending people in that country over the Internet and talking with them. You can talk to dozens or hundreds without having minders or travel restrictions or other problems. You can compare what those people say to what their press says and compare that to the foreign press. You can look at what people are proud of and what they'd like you to see but you can also look at things they would not like you to see.

Travel has a lot of good points for people who enjoy it but to say that travel (especially tourist travel) is the only good way to develop the type of understanding about a country that a politician would need is just silly. This is a holdover from the days when the Grand Tour was the mark of a well educated gentleman.

While I would not completely agree with your assertion that virtual travel can replace real travel, I would also say that there is no evidence of Palin, the subject of our discussion, doing this. Certainly we don't know everything about her, but she simply doesn't strike me as someone who reads tomes on other cultures and/or countries, interfaces with multiple nationalities on the internets, etc.

Cold Warrior
09-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Ug. Don't do that dude.

Can your illegal alien girlfriend vote? Tell her to pull for McCain.

And don't mention that other guys name out loud fer chrissake.

You really don't want to know what my girlfriend thinks of Palin. Before the pick, she was leaning towards McCain as someone who would benefit her financially (taxes). Since then, her reaction against Palin has been intense and deep. However, in any case, she can't vote.

Shannon
09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Since then, her reaction against Palin has been intense and deep.

Why?:confused:

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 03:28 PM

Because she's a fucking insult? He picked because she is a woman, its so blatantly obvious.

JB
09-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Why?:confused:No, no, no, no, no. What's wrong with you?

Shannon
09-11-2008, 03:31 PM
No, no, no, no, no. What's wrong with you?

I've never been sure. I'm afraid I'm at a loss here though. Please enlighten me.

JB
09-11-2008, 03:31 PM
He picked because she is a woman, its so blatantly obvious.Can you link a reference to one of your "best sources" for that statement?

JB
09-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Please enlighten me.I simply meant "don't get him started." :D

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Can you link a reference to one of your "best sources" for that statement?

My source: being awake and/or out of a coma for the past month.

McCain pushed that whole "Its OK for women to vote McCain! Especially if you liked Hillary!" thing for weeks and it culminated in him picking some woman that he'd only met once prior to her nomination. She is not qualified to be president, she ran a tiny state (population wise) that has been a part of America for like 50 years and a town that is smaller than some High Schools. He picked her because she is a woman, there is no other reason for Sarah Palin to be where she is.

JB
09-11-2008, 03:40 PM
My source: being awake and/or out of a coma for the past month.So it's merely your opinion. That's fine.

Just stop running around here and acting like your posts are anything more than that.

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 03:43 PM
So it's merely your opinion. That's fine.

Just stop running around here and acting like your posts are anything more than that.

So why do you think McCain picked Palin?

JB
09-11-2008, 03:48 PM
So why do you think McCain picked Palin?You just posted that it's "blatantly obvious". He wants to bang her. Everyone knows this.

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 03:53 PM
You just posted that it's "blatantly obvious". He wants to bang her. Everyone knows this.

Good enough for me.

JB
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Good enough for me.Excellent. You've taken what I said at face value.

Barack's a Muslim.

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 03:59 PM
I heard he sleeps with the Quran under his pillow.

gator
09-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Here is an iteresting discussion on Obama's Momma:

http://http://www.atlah.org/broadcast/ndnr09-03-08.html (http://www.atlah.org/broadcast/ndnr09-03-08.html)

LibraryLady
09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Manning is as crazy and hate filled as Wright. puh-leeeze

Gingersnap
09-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Let's get back to why a movie reviewer is chiming in on national politics, shall we?

LibraryLady
09-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Ebert's entire lower jaw has been destroyed by cancer. Seems to have affected his mind as well.

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Let's get back to why a movie reviewer is chiming in on national politics, shall we?

Because he's an extremely intelligent person? It is America after all.

gator
09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Manning is as crazy and hate filled as Wright. puh-leeeze

Yea, but he is entertaining.

Gingersnap
09-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Because he's an extremely intelligent person? It is America after all.

Well, it makes as much sense as pretending that a sportscaster is some kind real journalist, I guess.

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Well, it makes as much sense as pretending that a sportscaster is some kind real journalist, I guess.

What job do you have that makes you qualified to discuss national politics?

Shannon
09-11-2008, 04:50 PM

What job do you have?:rolleyes:

LibraryLady
09-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Ebert used to be a sports writer!

Lager
09-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Ebert spends so much time rubbing elbows with Hollywood, their sense of knowing what's best for the world rubs off on him. I don't really care what his politics are. I do think he knows movies. However, you often see his politics come through in the way he reviews liberal themed films, and that questions his journalistic integrity.

Eyelids
09-11-2008, 04:54 PM
What job do you have?:rolleyes:

I know you are but what am I?

Gingersnap
09-11-2008, 05:05 PM

Well, I'm a moderator on a political discussion board. Right there, I've pretty much blown Ebert out of the water. :p

Cold Warrior
09-11-2008, 05:22 PM

Well...

I simply meant "don't get him started." :D

Too late!!!

In many, but not all, of the things below, I agree with her, although I have a more jaundiced view of life, being 20+ years older than her, and so take things with a bit more perspective (a very elegant phrase meaning "I don't give a shit; all I'm interested in is getting laiid, good scotch, and rock n' roll")...

1. She's adamantly pro-choice, while Palin is not
2. She thinks that "abstinence education" is a joke, that teenagers will generally jump into bed with one another, and that the answer is to teach them how to do so without getting preggers
3. She thinks that "Creationism" or "ID" in the 21st century is akin to witch doctors and voodoo dolls
4. She thinks that the American practice of "breeding" is a bit silly and that the ideal family will have only the minimal number of children that they can support and raise to go to Harvard or Yale
5. She's well-travelled and thinks that anyone who's not been outside of the US lacks the perspective to make judgements about other cultures and peoples (a very nice way of saying "hick")

I could go on, but that's the "Top Five."

JB
09-11-2008, 06:22 PM
In other words...they cloned the female you.

It's a match made in heaven. Don't let her get away dude.

Cold Warrior
09-11-2008, 06:25 PM
In other words...they cloned the female you.

It's a match made in heaven. Don't let her get away dude.

Actually, that's probably true. But, unlike me, she's in love with the "American Dream." You know, the house the Merc, the material crap.

Molon Labe
09-11-2008, 06:44 PM

First off I respect Ebert's Movie reviews.

MOVIE REVIEWS!

Ebert also tells people they MUST see every liberal propaganda film made and they routinely get 4 stars.

Let him stick with what he knows best.....film.

Also...substitue the Name Barack Obama anywhere in his piece where the name Palin appears and you have a perfect counter argument.

ReaganForRus
09-11-2008, 06:58 PM

What a pile of crap!...........Using your logic, only military people can make military decisions because they served, only a doctor can make health decisions because of their natural curiosity, only a educator can speak out with authority on a child's education because they have the training and the exposure to teaching.

Guess what, Eyelids?

Millions of people make decisions daily in their own lives on situations which they may or may not have exposure or a natural curiosity in. To simply state that a person is not qualified to be in the Executive Branch on exposure and actual experience would eliminate your Buddy, BHO, because he has even less experience then Sarah Palin.

To quote Red Foreman, "You're a dumbass!"

YupItsMe
09-12-2008, 01:39 AM
So why do you think McCain picked Palin?

To get the conservative vote maybe moron. Take a look at the reaction on this website "Conservative Underground" to McCain since he picked her. The turnaround's been 180 degrees. But unfortunately, you're a lib and can only see people for their sex or race.

YupItsMe
09-12-2008, 01:45 AM

Remember this is from the party that thought "President Bartlett" would be a better choice than Kerry or Bush in 2004:rolleyes:

cat714
09-12-2008, 04:25 AM
I don't expect too many Hollywood types supporting the Republican party period, let alone Palin. I certainly don't give a rat's @$$ about what some movie reviewer thinks. :rolleyes:

First of all, Palin isn't running for president, but I know the focus is on her because some people think McCain is going to drop dead. :rolleyes: None of these candidates can travel abroad outside the "official government cocoon."

I don't knock a presidential candidate (or their VPs) for not having traveled all over the world. Alaska had a lot of problems and I commend Palin for having her priorities in place. Obama's obligation would have been to his state as well, but his focus was on himself. If I am not mistaken, Slick Willy didn't have a lot of foreign policy experience before he took office and he did all his travelling while president.

A good leader will recognize their lack of experience (or weaknesses) and will surround themselves with people who are more experienced. There's nothing wrong with that and it doesn't mean that Palin can not make a decision. Foreign relations is important, but it isn't nearly as important as taking care of one's own country first.

jinxmchue
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Because she's a fucking insult? He picked because she is a woman, its so blatantly obvious.

So why were Democrats wanting Hillary for either Prez or VP? For the same reason? There's far, far more reason to believe that about Hillary than about Palin.

Exit question: since you obviously disagree with Matt Damon as to why Palin was picked, do you think he and every other Hollywood liberal should shut up about politics?

jinxmchue
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Can you link a reference to one of your "best sources" for that statement?

Can people link to their asses?

Teetop
09-12-2008, 03:49 PM
So now that the polls show McCain leading, eyeshit won't post anymore poll numbers and shout SEE!

God, you're an idiot, eyeshit.:rolleyes:

AlmostThere
09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
I think he can write that because he can spell or at least use a spell-checker and knows what an apostrophe is used for.

AmPat
09-12-2008, 08:19 PM
This sounds as though you are suggesting that if one has no personal experience, then they have no credibility to undertake an endeavor or to have an opinion. You must now then be a McCain supporter since Uh Bama has experience in almost NOTHING.

AlmostThere
09-12-2008, 08:25 PM

Well, it is blatantly obvious she is a woman. But as far as someone being a fucking insult...

AmPat
09-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Because she's a fucking insult? He picked because she is a woman, its so blatantly obvious.So I guess with that astute insight it is fair to say that DIMocRATS picked Uh-Bama because he is :eek:BLACK!

PoliCon
09-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Typical leftist elitists take. Sufused in their elitism they see no value in middle America. Middle America is to be scored or at best pitied for not being as enlightened as are the elitists. And the dems continue to support these jackasses.

PoliCon
09-12-2008, 09:26 PM
BTW - Glen beck is doing his TV show from Hollywood. Has some interesting stuff in there about elistists and jackasses like Ebert.

AmPat
09-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Can people link to their asses?

Yes! His head is stuck in it all day long. That is the ultimate link.

Gingersnap
09-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Back on topic to some extent:

When it comes down to it, travel offers virtually no insight into the opinions or mindset of any world leader. Let's face it, you don't meet world leaders when you take a gap year or tool around the watering holes of Greece. And even if you did, so what?

Although world leaders all share some traits in common such as smarts, ambition, and local street sense, they are all just as varied as anyone else.

If I meet guy A, guy B, and guy C, this tells me nothing about guy D. Add to that the highly artificial environment of politics and diplomacy and you or I have about as much "insight" into the nature of world leaders as somebody who has spent 12 state dinners and 2 hunting trips with one.

We have an entire Department devoted to wining and dining world leaders and ferreting out the straight dope on various cultures and political movements and they are about as useless as tits on a bull for the most part.

AmPat
09-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Good point Ginger. Venezuela is a prime example. I don't believe for a second that Chavez is the voice of the people. A side note: Chavez has power now but his future is not promising. I wouldn't be shocked to see a headline about Chavez swinging from a rope one day.

Cold Warrior
09-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Back on topic to some extent:

When it comes down to it, travel offers virtually no insight into the opinions or mindset of any world leader. Let's face it, you don't meet world leaders when you take a gap year or tool around the watering holes of Greece. And even if you did, so what?

Although world leaders all share some traits in common such as smarts, ambition, and local street sense, they are all just as varied as anyone else.

If I meet guy A, guy B, and guy C, this tells me nothing about guy D. Add to that the highly artificial environment of politics and diplomacy and you or I have about as much "insight" into the nature of world leaders as somebody who has spent 12 state dinners and 2 hunting trips with one.

We have an entire Department devoted to wining and dining world leaders and ferreting out the straight dope on various cultures and political movements and they are about as useless as tits on a bull for the most part.

Agreed (to some extent) that travel will offer no insights into the minds of world leaders. However, travel, if you don't just stay in the hotels and go to the sites, if you walk about in the cities, observe and interact with the people, etc. teaches you about the customs, concerns, issues of other people and cultures. For example, if you've travelled in the Middle East, read the English language newspapers, watched the observance of 5 times a day prayer, talked to the people about the issues that concern them, you have a much better perspective on the underlying dynamics of the area. Similarly for Eastern Europe, for the Far East, etc.

A very, very trivial specific example (that I've related here previously), but one that I think illustrates the point, nevertheless. Watching (for my sins) Fox News Morning Show one morning a couple of years ago and the blonde bimbo (I know, there's a lot of them -- the one with like 1000 kids) was talking to a correspondent in Baghdad. It was a Thursday afternoon there and there were lots of automobile horns sounding in the background and the blonde asks him why. He told her it was due to all the wedding parties. The bimbo couldn't understand why there would be many weddings in a Muslim country on a Thursday afternoon!! If she had ever travelled to a Muslim country, she would know why.

Cseeman
09-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Ok Since when are we basing our political decisions on what Roger Ebert says... does'nt he make his living reviewing movies...

It Friggin insane

Cseeman
09-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Ok Eyelids.... washington and Jeffeson had more foreign expeience then Obama also... as a matter of fact Palin has more experience then Obama... to say palin is not qualified and Obama is .... is to make a stupid argument