PDA

View Full Version : Obama: God backs jobs plan

Rockntractor
11-02-2011, 07:26 PM
By Stephen Collinson | AFP 37 mins ago
President Barack Obama Wednesday said even God wanted to put Americans back to work, invoking divine blessing for his joust with Republicans over measures designed to slice into high unemployment.
Obama also taunted his foes with historic arguments in favor of repairing vital infrastructure once made by conservative icon Ronald Reagan, as he stumped for a $60 billion infrastructure bill being taken up by the Senate.
The president rebuked the House of Representatives for passing a bill reaffirming the US motto "In God We Trust" rather than getting to work on his stalled $447 billion jobs program.
"That's not putting people back to work. I trust in God, but God wants to see us help ourselves by putting people back to work," the president said.
Obama's spokesman Jay Carney denied that Obama had perhaps gone too far by dragging the Almighty into a fierce political spat.
"I believe that the phrase from the Bible is 'the Lord helps those who help themselves,'" Carney said.
"I think the point the president is making is that, you know, we have it within our capacity to do the things to help the American people."

Lose IQ points by reading the rest>http://news.yahoo.com/obama-presses-republicans-bridge-scheme-151914720.html

fettpett
11-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Carney's a moron

The phrase "God helps those who help themselves" is a popular motto which emphasizes the importance of self-initiative.

The phrase originated in ancient Greece, occurring as the moral to one of Aesop's Fables, and later in the great tragedy authors of ancient Greek drama. It has been commonly attributed to Benjamin Franklin, however the modern English wording appears earlier in Algernon Sidney's work.

It is mistaken by many to be a Bible quote, however the phrase does not occur in the Bible. Some Christians have criticized it as being against the Bible's message of God's grace.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helps_those_who_help_themselves

Starbuck
11-02-2011, 10:24 PM
I trust in God, but God wants to see us .................
He is now God's emissary, speaking on His behalf?:Taps4:

Rockntractor
11-02-2011, 10:29 PM
He is now God's emissary, speaking on His behalf?:Taps4:

They will have to put another recliner at His right hand.

Lanie
11-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I agree that God wants us to help ourselves.

I agree that Obama shouldn't use God.

You know what? I see Republicans use God all of the time, and yet there's no objection to it.

Apache
11-02-2011, 11:03 PM
You know what? I see Republicans use God all of the time, and yet there's no objection to it.

Proof?

Tipsycatlover
11-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Having a leader who claims to be the voice of God on earth is perhaps the most dangerous thing a nation can do. We may as well go all in and get Ahmadinejad over here. Same thing.

noonwitch
11-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Carney's a moron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helps_those_who_help_themselves

We used to joke about that when I was in Young Life. It does go to show how illiterate the average american is about not just the Bible, but classic literature in general. One of my friends was arguing with her husband once about whether the verse "there is no new thing under the sun" was from the Bible or from Shakespeare (her argument), and called me up to settle the argument.

fettpett
11-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I agree that God wants us to help ourselves.

I agree that Obama shouldn't use God.

that Quote is NOT part of the Christian philosophy and should not be attributed to it. It came directly from Greek humanistic philosophy. It goes against the Biblical teachings of Grace through faith, not works.

DumbAss Tanker
11-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Obamahammed, Messenger of God.

I'll bet he made sure there wasn't a dark cloud in sight when he laid that one on them.

Starbuck
11-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Obamahammed, Messenger of God.

I'll bet he made sure there wasn't a dark cloud in sight when he laid that one on them.

I don't understand. What's Michelle got to do with this?:confused:

Hansel
11-03-2011, 05:52 PM
that Quote is NOT part of the Christian philosophy and should not be attributed to it. It came directly from Greek humanistic philosophy. It goes against the Biblical teachings of Grace through faith, not works.
The quote is referring to physical needs and not spiritual needs.

fettpett
11-03-2011, 06:15 PM
The quote is referring to physical needs and not spiritual needs.

not really, Franklin was a diest, thus he believed in God but that God kept his hands off everything. Closest one can get is about teaching a man to fish.

AmPat
11-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Apparently O Blah Blah has graduated from Straw Men to Straw Gods?:confused::rolleyes:

Hansel
11-04-2011, 05:30 AM
not really, Franklin was a diest, thus he believed in God but that God kept his hands off everything. Closest one can get is about teaching a man to fish.
Huh?

Starbuck
11-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Huh?

Kinda didn't understand the "teach a man to fish thing", myself. Could be, Fett was thinking "can lead a horse to water...":confused:

fettpett
11-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
actually it's a Chinese Proverb, so that doesn't even fit either LOL

Zathras
11-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
actually it's a Chinese Proverb, so that doesn't even fit either LOL

I like the version in my signature better. :D