PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone experiences?

Novaheart
11-04-2011, 08:50 AM
I am finally going to give up my Sony Ericsson and go with a Smartphone so I can have internet access on the road.

I am a T Mobile customer. The reviews of the Samsung Galaxy are all over the place. HTC appears to be T Mobile's premium product, but they want $199 for the upgrade to the 4G product, and they are giving away the 3G product. Confusing.

I'm doing this on upgrade, and if for no other reason than "because" I am thinking that I want a 4G phone with front facing camera and touch screen. Part of the reason for the touch screen is because they are bigger, and you can increase the font for aging eyes.

So what do you guys have and how much do you love/hate it?

Bailey
11-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Go with Verizon, I have a Droid Thunderbolt and its a pretty good phone. I am waiting for the droid Galaxy or whatever they are calling it nowadays to come out sometime in Dec.

marv
11-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Experience? None! If it's not connected to a land line, I won't use it.........http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Bailey
11-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Experience? None! If it's not connected to a land line, I won't use it.........http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/images/smilies/tongue.gif

When you pick up your phone to make a call do you have to say to the operator "klondike 525? :p

marv
11-04-2011, 02:58 PM
When you pick up your phone to make a call do you have to say to the operator "klondike 525? :p

Nope! Just punch in the numbers like a "smart" phone. And the technology doesn't go obsolete every six months.....:p

Articulate_Ape
11-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Nope! Just punch in the numbers like a "smart" phone. And the technology doesn't go obsolete every six months.....:p

You forgot to mention that you have to crank it first.

djones520
11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I'll be upgrading sometime in the next few months. Will be getting a Droid. I have other things to sell my soul to before I sell it to Apple.

marv
11-04-2011, 06:14 PM
I don't have to sell my "soul"...or upgrade...evah! http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Articulate_Ape
11-04-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't have to sell my "soul"...or upgrade...evah! http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Your Bakelite phone is proof of that.

SarasotaRepub
11-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I'd love to get one of the new phones but I just can't justify the added cost.

Now that I was forced to retire I can't be a geek anymore...:(:(:D

Novaheart
11-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I'll be upgrading sometime in the next few months. Will be getting a Droid. I have other things to sell my soul to before I sell it to Apple.

The thing about the iPhone is that i know it will be 100% compatible and clever with my macbook. That, and my friend Bubby told me that when he walks into his house, his iPhone automatically sends any photos he has taken to his computer. Now the silliness of that is that I rarely take photos with my phone.

I think I have decided on the Samsung Exhibit (4g front and rear cameras, android, bluetooth, scratchless screen, etc...). It seems to have most of the bells and whistles that matter, isn't the size of a small tv set, and when I played with it tonight in the store (I just happened to be 12 miles out of my way) the salesman said that if I wasn't going to get the $259 Samsung Galaxy 2 II then I might as well get the most bang for the buck, which as it turns out is $29 with contract renewal plus $18 "upgrade fee". T Mobile irritates me, but I really do have a good deal and the coverage is great around here.

Novaheart
11-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I'd love to get one of the new phones but I just can't justify the added cost.

Now that I was forced to retire I can't be a geek anymore...:(:(:D

Get rid of the landline. I got sick of paying for two phones, and having people call me on the landline and then call me on my cell seconds later and leave messages both places, etc... Now I use cell full time and love it, not to mention it doubles as a Life Alert.

fettpett
11-05-2011, 09:33 AM
The Sidekick 4G is a great phone, just wish they would get Droid 2.3 out on it. :(

fettpett
11-05-2011, 09:35 AM
The thing about the iPhone is that i know it will be 100% compatible and clever with my macbook. That, and my friend Bubby told me that when he walks into his house, his iPhone automatically sends any photos he has taken to his computer. Now the silliness of that is that I rarely take photos with my phone.

I think I have decided on the Samsung Exhibit (4g front and rear cameras, android, bluetooth, scratchless screen, etc...). It seems to have most of the bells and whistles that matter, isn't the size of a small tv set, and when I played with it tonight in the store (I just happened to be 12 miles out of my way) the salesman said that if I wasn't going to get the $259 Samsung Galaxy 2 II then I might as well get the most bang for the buck, which as it turns out is $29 with contract renewal plus $18 "upgrade fee". T Mobile irritates me, but I really do have a good deal and the coverage is great around here.

Droid automatically upload all your photo's to your google account (it's just "cloud" no one else has access to them unless you put them on a google+ account or w/e) as soon as you take them...you can then download them directly to your computer

ironhorsedriver
11-05-2011, 11:20 AM
I want to get into the Smartphone revolution. My problem is that I live so far in the hills that you have to drive 12 miles to get a signal. My wife and I have flip phones through StraightTalk just so we can have phones away from home. If we get smart phones it has to be through one of the pre-pay services, and they aren't as versatile or cheap that route. So, we'll just have to sit back and wait and see which carrier finally get's a tower down here, then get a contract with them. I doubt I'll live to see it, not enough population to support it, and way to many mountains blocking.

RobJohnson
11-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I've had a Android Droid 2 from Verizon with unlimited data for over a year now.

I like it. It's also my GPS and it can be used as a mobile 3G wi-fi hotspot for up to five devices.

Rockntractor
11-05-2011, 07:25 PM
I've had a Android Droid 2 from Verizon with unlimited data for over a year now.

I like it. It's also my GPS and it can be used as a mobile 3G wi-fi hotspot for up to five devices.

Check again, you have a 5 gig data limit each month.

RobJohnson
11-05-2011, 07:28 PM

No I don't. I promise. That Sprint commercial lied to you! :D

Rockntractor
11-05-2011, 07:50 PM
No I don't. I promise. That Sprint commercial lied to you! :D

I have Verizon.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/verizon.jpg

RobJohnson
11-05-2011, 08:39 PM
I have Verizon.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/verizon.jpg

You are on your cycle? :eek::D

I'm special, mine is different. It's unlimited data/internet on my Droid.

:popcorn:

Rockntractor
11-05-2011, 08:42 PM
You are on your cycle? :eek::D

I'm special, mine is different. It's unlimited data/internet on my Droid.

:popcorn:

I have a droid too.:D

RobJohnson
11-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I have a droid too.:D

I'm going to roast a hog for dinner....:D

RobJohnson
11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Unlimited means unlimited, no matter what the cycle says....they don't charge you if you have my "special" plan.

Did I mention I get 25% off my monthly service?

RobJohnson
11-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Rock....

I just looked at the Verizon website without being logged into my account.

They have really jacked up the price on the data plans!

They even offer a 10G plan and a 15G w/hotspot plan

I have unlimited data for $29.99/mo before my discount. I might not change phones for a while. :D

Novaheart
11-05-2011, 09:50 PM

The rep at T Mobile said that the "unlimited" plans are indeed unlimited in the amount of usage, however, when you exceed your "unlimited" tier (2gb 5gb, 10gb) then you lose speed for the rest of the month.

T Mobile has a usage calculator which I think is handy. http://www.t-mobile.com/Tools/MBCalculator.aspx

In reality the 200 MB plan ought to be just about right for me, but on that plan if you go over then you pay overage. It's $10/mo additional to my regular plan (which is a grandfathered plan no longer available which amounts to unlimited talk for me) . For $20/mo I can get a 2gb plan which would let me play in addition to using it for on the spot research.

Of course, it wouldn't be t-mobile without a hitch. The last rep I talked to "strongly suggested" that I get insurance with any smartphone, for $8/mo which would "cover" loss, damage, theft, malfunction. I put "cover" in quotes because there is a $40 deductible. So they want you to pay $96/year for insurance on a phone that you are paying $29 for, and which REQUIRES that you carry a data plan.

So I said, "Well, if something happens to the smartphone, I'll just go back to using my Sony Ericsson." She says that I could so that, but I would still have to pay for the data plan each month, that my new 2 year contract would be for my current plan plus data.

I hate this shit. When will they stop pretending that these phones cost $500? When will they stop this contract shit? When will they stop nickel and diming us? It's as bad as AOL before cable and unlimited internet replaced Always Off Line.

Novaheart
11-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Unlimited means unlimited, no matter what the cycle says....they don't charge you if you have my "special" plan.

Did I mention I get 25% off my monthly service?

Some of the corporate plans are indeed unlimited. My cousin's company had a special deal too.

Rockntractor
11-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Rock....

I just looked at the Verizon website without being logged into my account.

They have really jacked up the price on the data plans!

They even offer a 10G plan and a 15G w/hotspot plan

I have unlimited data for $29.99/mo before my discount. I might not change phones for a while. :D

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!:mad::D

RobJohnson
11-07-2011, 02:32 AM
The best thing ever was when I was totally lost out in the Mojave desert on my Quad Runner and realized I had no clue how to get back home...it was getting dark and cold....google saved me from the zombies! I rode for a couple hours, mostly at 60 MPH on really nice groomed trails....then it hit me..where am I?

Tipsycatlover
11-07-2011, 06:19 PM
I have an EVO and I absolutely LOVE it. I could no longer function with out it.

RobJohnson
11-08-2011, 01:14 AM
The rep at T Mobile said that the "unlimited" plans are indeed unlimited in the amount of usage, however, when you exceed your "unlimited" tier (2gb 5gb, 10gb) then you lose speed for the rest of the month.

T Mobile has a usage calculator which I think is handy. http://www.t-mobile.com/Tools/MBCalculator.aspx

In reality the 200 MB plan ought to be just about right for me, but on that plan if you go over then you pay overage. It's $10/mo additional to my regular plan (which is a grandfathered plan no longer available which amounts to unlimited talk for me) . For $20/mo I can get a 2gb plan which would let me play in addition to using it for on the spot research.

Of course, it wouldn't be t-mobile without a hitch. The last rep I talked to "strongly suggested" that I get insurance with any smartphone, for $8/mo which would "cover" loss, damage, theft, malfunction. I put "cover" in quotes because there is a $40 deductible. So they want you to pay $96/year for insurance on a phone that you are paying $29 for, and which REQUIRES that you carry a data plan.

So I said, "Well, if something happens to the smartphone, I'll just go back to using my Sony Ericsson." She says that I could so that, but I would still have to pay for the data plan each month, that my new 2 year contract would be for my current plan plus data.

I hate this shit. When will they stop pretending that these phones cost $500? When will they stop this contract shit? When will they stop nickel and diming us? It's as bad as AOL before cable and unlimited internet replaced Always Off Line.

I quit paying the insurance. If you need to use it, you end up paying $50 for a refurbished phone.. I would rather just take my chances...I had insurnace for about the first year, then they tried telling me if I wanted insurance for the second year, it was more money!