PDA

View Full Version : Obama's New Christmas Tree Tax

Apocalypse
11-08-2011, 11:00 PM
http://blog.heritage.org/2011/11/08/obama-couldnt-wait-his-new-christmas-tree-tax/

To pay for the new Federal Christmas tree image improvement and marketing program, the Department of Agriculture imposed a 15-cent fee on all sales of fresh Christmas trees by sellers of more than 500 trees per year (7 CFR 1214.52). And, of course, the Christmas tree sellers are free to pass along the 15-cent Federal fee to consumers who buy their Christmas trees.

Acting Administrator Shipman had the temerity to say the 15-cent mandatory Christmas tree fee “is not a tax nor does it yield revenue for the Federal government” (76 CFR 69102). The Federal government mandates that the Christmas tree sellers pay the 15-cents per tree, whether they want to or not. The Federal government directs that the revenue generated by the 15-cent fee goes to the Board appointed by the Secretary of Agriculture to carry out the Christmas tree program established by the Secretary of Agriculture. Mr. President, that’s a new 15-cent tax to pay for a Federal program to improve the image and marketing of Christmas trees.

Of course, its not a tax according to the left, its a "Fee".

marv
11-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Our artificial 6' tree is going on ten years now...:D

fettpett
11-09-2011, 12:47 AM
yes...lets kill an industry that is already hurting...fuck this douchebag

djones520
11-09-2011, 12:45 PM
How is this constitutional? Since when did the Executive Branch have the power to level taxes?

Starbuck
11-09-2011, 12:48 PM
The Christmas Tree image improvement and marketing tax?

From OBAMA??!!:eek:

Oh, Jeez.:(

Arroyo_Doble
11-09-2011, 12:56 PM
How is this constitutional? Since when did the Executive Branch have the power to level taxes?

I have only glanced over this but I am going with the authority given in Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act of 1930 for now.

Rockntractor
11-09-2011, 12:59 PM

They seldom level them but they have been known to levy them.:confused:

Arroyo_Doble
11-09-2011, 02:49 PM
I have only glanced over this but I am going with the authority given in Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act of 1930 for now.

I was wrong. It was the Commodity Promotion, Research, and Information Act of 1996 (http://www.federalregister.gov/commodity-promotion-agricultural-marketing).

KhrushchevsShoe
11-09-2011, 03:21 PM
yes...lets kill an industry that is already hurting...fuck this douchebag

$.15 fees are not going to kill the industry. Give me a break.

Rockntractor
11-09-2011, 03:40 PM

It is the accumulation of many taxes(or fees) that create the burden. Break not granted.

Arroyo_Doble
11-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Good news everyone!

The War on Christmas has been cancelled (http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/15999710/christmas-tree-tax-heritage-foundation-national-christmas-tree-association-holidays).

djones520
11-09-2011, 03:54 PM
The more I read into this, the more it seemed it was just sensationalized. It seems this was pretty much asked for by the christmas tree folks.

Arroyo_Doble
11-09-2011, 04:02 PM
The more I read into this, the more it seemed it was just sensationalized. It seems this was pretty much asked for by the christmas tree folks.

When sampling the wares of outrage merchants, caveat emptor.

Rockntractor
11-09-2011, 04:12 PM

That would depend on whether all Christmas tree growers are signed on and in agreement with The National Christmas Tree Association. Give me some numbers.

Rockntractor
11-09-2011, 04:39 PM
By Michael Billera | November 9, 2011 2:07 PM EST

A 15-cent increase in the price on fresh Christmas trees has some industry leaders cheering while others are up in arms.

The Obama administration and the Agriculture Department announced on Wednesday that it will impose a 15-cent charge on all fresh Christmas trees to support a federal program to improve the image, branding, and advertising of Christmas trees. This program will be run similar to the "Got Milk" ads or "Where's the beef" ads run by the USDA.

"It is the same structure, same regulatory authority," said Bryan Ostlund in a phone interview. Ostlund is the Executive Director of Pacific Northwest Christmas Association.

"The Christmas tree industry petitioned the USDA for a 15-cent tax on each harvested tree each year," said Ostlund. He continued to explain that the tax is expected to bring in $1 million to $2 million.

Ostlund reassured that whatever the program takes in will be enough to cover the cost of a national advertising campaign.

So, in the coming years, there could be a new catchy slogan about Christmas trees on billboards and magazines.

"I have been involved in other programs in the blueberry industry. They started operating on 100,000 dollars. Now their operating budget just passed the 4 million dollar mark," said Ostlund.

A 12-member board will distribute the money for ads and promotions as well as for research. The USDA hopes that it will promote a "favorable image of Christmas trees to the general public."

This will largely be a self-regulated program by the industry. The national Christmas tree organizations needed the USDA's authority to conduct such an operation.

"This was very much an industry driven concept," said Richard Moore, a former Cornell professor and the Director of the Christmas Tree Growers Association, in a phone interview.

Fresh tree sales had a steady decline in recent years. About 31 million Christmas trees were sold in 2007 compared to 37 million in 2007, according to the Agriculture Department. Sales on artificial trees continue to increase.

However, this tax was being considered since the Bush administration. The National Christmas Tree Association set up an investigative body in 2008 to determine how they can improve declining fresh tree sales.

"I don't think I would call it a tax, I would call it an assessment," said Moore. "We really go to set the rules in the frame work. We decided to do 15 cents a tree. That is why if you produce less than 500 trees a year you don't have to pay."

"Here is my question. How would any former know to do that," asked Robert Brown. Brown and his wife run two small choose-and-cut farms Upstate New York. He claimed many small farmers are unaware of this change and the possibility to opt-out.

He said that this new plan was heavily driven by the National Christmas Tree Association as a way for large organizations to make money.

"I believe this is directed for the benefit for the large growers," said Brown.

He and his wife run two small choose-and-cut farms Upstate New York. He said that this new plan was heavily driven by the National Christmas Tree Association as a way for large organizations to make money.

"Now all of a sudden we have to pay for advertising for the big growers because they are losing ground because of the artificial tree," said Brown.

Brown continued to explain that most independent farmers pay for their own advertising. He does not believe it is fair that he has to contribute to a national advertising program when his sales have been going up.

"We don't know what their goals and objectives and what they will be doing other than marketing. Most of the small growers all ready do their own marketing," said Brown.

Brown also suggested that independent farmers will not be represented on the national board. Moore refuted those claims.

"Well, I wouldn't necessary second guess that. If someone wrote a good application for the USDA, as long as they are constructive, they can be included," said Moore. "They want to be inclusive, they want diversity. They certainly don't won't a good ol' boy board."

Moore also suggested that cost of doing business will only increase minimally.

"This is just a minor cost of doing business," said Moore. "I don't see the 15-cents being a really significant cost."

After three years, growers and importers will vote on whether to continue the program.

However, as the national Christmas tree organizations across the country sort out their differences and begin to distribute the earnings from the program, Ostlund commented on the most important thing. He claimed that the average Christmas tree consumer should not see any dramatic price increase in the coming years.

"From a consumer standpoint, I wouldn't think it will really affect the consumer in anyway."
http://newyork.ibtimes.com/articles/246400/20111109/christmas-tree-tax-insiders-respond-means-consumer.htm

It doesn't appear all growers are for this.

Tipsycatlover
11-09-2011, 05:02 PM
As soon as Christmas tree advertising starts, the secularists are going to go crazy over it.

djones520
11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
http://newyork.ibtimes.com/articles/246400/20111109/christmas-tree-tax-insiders-respond-means-consumer.htm

It doesn't appear all growers are for this.

Then they got nothing to sweat.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/11/obama-administration-to-delay-new-15-cent-christmas-tree-fee/

JB
11-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Good news everyone!

The War on Christmas has been cancelled (http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/15999710/christmas-tree-tax-heritage-foundation-national-christmas-tree-association-holidays).I've always been in favor of the expansion of Christmas creep.

I think lights, displays, signs, sales, etc...should start going up around July 5th.

djones520
11-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I've always been in favor of the expansion of Christmas creep.

I think lights, displays, signs, sales, etc...should start going up around July 5th.

Get with the times. Just don't bother taking them down.

Arroyo_Doble
11-09-2011, 06:56 PM
I've always been in favor of the expansion of Christmas creep.

It's just all so commercial, nowadays ......

Now, 1976? THAT, was Christmas.

JB
11-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Get with the times. Just don't bother taking them down.Oh yeah. They're out there. :D
Now, 1976? THAT, was Christmas.I'm not familiar. I'll have to do some research.

MrsSmith
11-09-2011, 11:37 PM
How can this be constitutional? Isn't the government promoting one religion over others if they promote "Christmas" trees? The ACLU and Freedom From Religion movements will need to sue to block this unconstitutional promotion, or at least force them to split up the money and use it to promote all religious sales!

;):D

fettpett
11-10-2011, 12:09 AM

thats not the point. They want to advertise, fine, The private industry can do it on their own, with the any Associations, just throwing on a tax on the whole industry willy-nilly is stupid, particularly one that has been hurting over the last 20 years due to fake trees.

Plus Rock's right, it's not just one tax, it's the whole bunch of them.

Rockntractor
11-10-2011, 12:22 AM
thats not the point. They want to advertise, fine, The private industry can do it on their own, with the any Associations, just throwing on a tax on the whole industry willy-nilly is stupid, particularly one that has been hurting over the last 20 years due to fake trees.

Plus Rock's right, it's not just one tax, it's the whole bunch of them.

Exactly, if this association has so much support they can collect the necessary funds voluntarily from dues, not unwilling participants with the force of government.

RobJohnson
11-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Exactly, if this association has so much support they can collect the necessary funds voluntarily from dues, not unwilling participants with the force of government.

I agree.

Plus for every 15 cents collected the gov't would spend 50 cents collecting it! :D

noonwitch
11-10-2011, 10:07 AM
How can this be constitutional? Isn't the government promoting one religion over others if they promote "Christmas" trees? The ACLU and Freedom From Religion movements will need to sue to block this unconstitutional promotion, or at least force them to split up the money and use it to promote all religious sales!

;):D

Christmas trees have nothing to do really with the Jesus part of the Christmas story. They are a pagan tradition that marked the celebration of the change of seasons.

I had a whacky aunt-in-law who would only put Christian-themed ornaments on her Christmas tree after she got born again while watching Jim and Tammy Faye. She said that otherwise, Christmas trees are wrong because they are a pagan tradition.

Santa and Christmas trees are always acceptable in the public sector.

fettpett
11-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Christmas trees have nothing to do really with the Jesus part of the Christmas story. They are a pagan tradition that marked the celebration of the change of seasons.

I had a whacky aunt-in-law who would only put Christian-themed ornaments on her Christmas tree after she got born again while watching Jim and Tammy Faye. She said that otherwise, Christmas trees are wrong because they are a pagan tradition.

Santa and Christmas trees are always acceptable in the public sector.

well, technically so is the date as well, Dec 25 is a direct usurp of a Pagan holiday that commemorated the first noticeable day that days were getting longer. Christ was born in the spring, the only time of year that the sheep are in the fields.