PDA

View Full Version : Joe Paterno Fired

fettpett
11-10-2011, 10:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7214380/joe-paterno-president-graham-spanier-penn-state

I'll edit this later as the story on ESPN is down atm, but basically Joe Pa got his butt fired over the Sandusky scandal after announcing that he was going to retire at the end of the season. The Board of Trustees decided it was time for Paterno and School President Graham Spanier to go after the week that Penn State has been through.

Bailey
11-10-2011, 10:20 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7214380/joe-paterno-president-graham-spanier-penn-state

I'll edit this later as the story on ESPN is down atm, but basically Joe Pa got his butt fired over the Sandusky scandal after announcing that he was going to retire at the end of the season. The Board of Trustees decided it was time for Paterno and School President Graham Spanier to go after the week that Penn State has been through.

I'm a Penn St fan (well no longer due to firing) the thing that pisses me off the most is mcleary(sp) WITNESSED the crime didn't stop it or call the police but he didn't lose his job. Mr paterno got third hand info and since he did perform a citizen arrest he got fired for it.

fettpett
11-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm a Penn St fan (well no longer due to firing) the thing that pisses me off the most is mcleary(sp) WITNESSED the crime didn't stop it or call the police but he didn't lose his job. Mr paterno got third hand info and since he did perform a citizen arrest he got fired for it.

Mclearly should be fired as well, honest I wouldn't be surprised if the entire staff is let go at the end of the season.

Bailey
11-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Mclearly should be fired as well, honest I wouldn't be surprised if the entire staff is let go at the end of the season.

Why isn't he brought up on charges? If I saw what he saw I'd kill the guy, there'd be no need for cops

fettpett
11-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Why isn't he brought up on charges? If I saw what he saw I'd kill the guy, there'd be no need for cops

Mclearly? for what? he didn't do anything criminal, in fact he testified to a Grand Jury about what he saw Sandusky doing.

Why he should be fired? For not making a bigger stink about Sandusky being on campus for the last 9 years after seeing that. I would have done everything I could to get his sorry ass away from kids, even if it meant going to the media and risk being fired and my career put in jeopardy.

Bailey
11-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Mclearly? for what? he didn't do anything criminal, in fact he testified to a Grand Jury about what he saw Sandusky doing.

Why he should be fired? For not making a bigger stink about Sandusky being on campus for the last 9 years after seeing that. I would have done everything I could to get his sorry ass away from kids, even if it meant going to the media and risk being fired and my career put in jeopardy.

HE SAW THE RAPE and did nothing more then report it to higher ups, not police or try to get the man off the boy

Space Gravy
11-10-2011, 10:53 AM
I know we call older women that pursue younger males cougars. Should we could older men that pursue younger males Nittany Lions?:D

fettpett
11-10-2011, 10:55 AM
HE SAW THE RAPE and did nothing more then report it to higher ups, not police or try to get the man off the boy

I know he did. He still reported it. Legally he did what he was suppose to. Ethically and what human decency states he didn't, which is why I think he should be fired. He'll probably never work as a coach again.

Bailey
11-10-2011, 10:58 AM
I know we call older women that pursue younger males cougars. Should we could older men that pursue younger males Nittany Lions?:D

This was old last night

noonwitch
11-10-2011, 11:34 AM
I know he did. He still reported it. Legally he did what he was suppose to. Ethically and what human decency states he didn't, which is why I think he should be fired. He'll probably never work as a coach again.

That's pretty much how I see it. Someone should have contacted law enforcement. The university is liable on that end.

I'm not sure what the law is in PA, but teachers and school personnel are mandated reporters. If they have knowlege of child abuse, they are required to report it.

Tipsycatlover
11-10-2011, 11:50 AM
The students are rioting in support of Paterno. It might indicate that among university students rape isn't all that bad. Especially rape of children, boys.

Bailey
11-10-2011, 12:09 PM
The students are rioting in support of Paterno. It might indicate that among university students rape isn't all that bad. Especially rape of children, boys.

oh so Joe pa raped kids? Oh he didn't tell anyone? Nope on both counts. Only mistake he made was trusting higher ups to handle it.

noonwitch
11-10-2011, 03:56 PM

When I was in college, I noticed a lot of my female peers didn't have the same definition of rape that I had. As alcohol was usually involved....sometimes, it was just chalked up as getting drunk with the wrong guy. I went to college from 1982-86. I blame alcohol, stupidity and ABC daytime in that order.

Elspeth
11-10-2011, 08:04 PM
There may be more to the story:

Penn State coach accused of pimping out boys to rich donors

Mark Madden, a Pittsburgh sports reporter and radio personality, claims that Jerry Sandusky used his Second Mile charity to pimp out young boys for rich donors.

Mark Madden, a radio personality on 105.9 The X went on WEEI in Boston and added more flames the fire at Penn State. He claimed that Jerry Sandusky used his charity, Second Mile Foundation, to pimp out young boys for rich Penn State donors.

Read more: http://www.kfiam640.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=9379788#ixzz1dLnBoFzy

Elspeth
11-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Timeline

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-11/penn-state-scandal/story/penn-state-timeline-jerry-sandusky-joe-paterno-mike-mcqueary

1969: Jerry Sandusky starts his coaching career as defensive line coach at Penn State.

1977: Sandusky starts The Second Mile, a foundation to help at-risk children. Its website states that Second Mile is a “statewide non-profit organization for children who need additional support and who would benefit from positive human contact.”

1994: Victim 7 meets Sandusky through The Second Mile at about the age of 10.

1994-95: Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at Second Mile picnic when he was 7 or 8.

1995-96: Boy known as Victim 5 meets Sandusky through Second Mile when he is 7 or 8.

1996-97: Boy known as Victim 4, age 12 or 13, meets Sandusky in Second Mile program.

1998: According to the grand jury report, an 11-year-old boy’s mother called university police to complain after finding out her son had showered with Sandusky. A state Department of Public Welfare investigator told the grand jury that Sandusky had showered with the boy (Victim 6) and hugged him and “admitted that it was wrong” and promised to not shower with the boy again. The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charge.

1999: Sandusky retires after learning he will not be the successor to Joe Paterno. Sandusky holds emeritus status.

Summer of 2000: Victim 3 meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is between seventh and eighth grade.

Fall of 2000: According to the grand jury report, another boy (Victim 8), age 11 to 13, was seen by a janitor, Jim Calhoun, pinned against a wall while Sandusky performed oral sex on him. Calhoun was described as “upset and crying” over what he’d seen, another person testified. Calhoun tells his supervisor, Jay Witherite and other staff members. Witherite tells Calhoun, a temporary employee, who to report the incident to, but Calhoun never files a report.

March 1, 2002: Mike McQueary, then a graduate assistant and now the receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, saw a naked boy (Victim 2) with his hands against the wall in the shower area of the locker room at the Lasch Football Building on the University Park Campus as Sandusky subjected him to anal sex, according to the grand jury report. McQueary told the grand jury that Sandusky and the boy both noticed him. McQueary went to his office and called his father, who told him to leave the building and come to his home.

— The next morning (Saturday), McQueary called Paterno and went to Paterno’s house and reported to the coach what he had witnessed.

— The next day (Sunday), Paterno called athletic director Tim Curley to his home and reported that McQueary told him that he had seen Sandusky in the showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.

— About a week and a half later, McQueary was called to a meeting with Curley and vice president of finance and business, Gary Schultz. He reported what he had seen and was told they would look into it. Paterno was not at that meeting.

— A couple of weeks after that, McQueary was contacted by Curley, who told him that Sandusky’s keys to the locker room were taken away and the incident reported to The Second Mile. Curley advised school president Graham Spanier of the information he’d received and the steps taken as a result. Spanier testified of his approval of the approach taken by Curley. The incident was not reported to the University Police or any other police agency.

2005-06: Boy known as Victim 1 meets Sandusky at The Second Mile at age 11 or 12.

2008: Sandusky was a full-time volunteer coach at a Clinton County high school. Steven Turchetta was the assistant principal and head football coach at the school attended by Victim 1. Turchetta became aware of Victim 1’s allegations after the boy’s mother called the school to report it. Sandusky is barred from the school district and the matter was reported to the authorities as mandated by law.

2008: Sandusky told The Second Mile that he was being investigated on allegations of sexual assault in Clinton County.

2009: The Pennsylvania attorney general begins an investigation when a Clinton County teen boy tells authorities that Sandusky has inappropriately touched him several times over a four-year period.

Sept. 2010: Sandusky retires from The Second Mile.

Nov. 5: Sandusky is charged with sexually assaulting eight boys over a 15-year period. Among the allegations, a graduate assistant—McQueary—saw Sandusky assault a boy in the shower at the Penn State practice center in 2002. Sandusky is released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts, including charges of multiple counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, corruption of minors, endangering the welfare of a child, indecent assault and unlawful contact with a minor.

— Spanier gives his support for Curley and Schultz, saying “I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years. I have complete confidence in how they handled the allegations about a former university employee.”

— Curley and Schultz are charged with perjury after being accused of failing to alert police, as required by state law, of the investigation into the allegations against Sandusky. Paterno is not charged. In a grand jury testimony, Schultz told jurors he was aware of a 1998 investigation involving sexually inappropriate behavior by Sandusky with a boy in the showers at the Penn State athletic facility. Jurors wrote that Schultz “never sought or received a police report on the 1998 incident and never attempted to learn the identity of the child in the shower in 2002.” Part of Schultz’s job is overseeing campus police.

Nov. 6: In a statement issued by his son, Scott, Paterno said, “The fact that someone we thought we knew might have harmed young people to this extent is deeply troubling. If this is true we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families. They are in our prayers.”

Paterno added, “It was obvious the witness (McQueary) was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the grand jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at the time, I referred the matter to university administrators.

— Curley stepped down, requesting to be placed on administrative leave so he could use the time to defend himself against perjury and other charges, Spanier announced after an emergency meeting of the Board of Trustees. Schultz also stepped down.

The resignations of Paterno and Spanier were not discussed at the meeting.

Nov. 7: Curley and Schultz appear in a Harrisburg, Pa., courtroom, where a judge set bail at $75,000. They were not required to enter pleas.

— At a press conference held by Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly and state police commissioner Frank Noonan, Kelly says that Paterno is not a target of the investigation of how Penn State handled the accusations but stopped short of saying the same for Spanier.

— On Paterno meeting his legal requirement to report suspected abuse, Noonan says, “somebody has to question about what I would consider the moral requirements for a human being that knows of sexual things that are taking place with a child.”

Nov. 8: Joe Paterno’s weekly news conference is canceled, setting off a firestorm of criticism from media nationwide. Paterno’s son, Scott, said Spanier canceled it, not Paterno. He also stated that a New York Times report that preparations were being discussed for Paterno’s exit as coach was premature.

— A potential ninth victim contacted authorities after seeing media accounts of Sandusky’s arrest, The Patriot-News of Harrisburg, Pa., reported.

— Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett said he plans to attend Friday’s meeting of the Penn State Board of Trustees, along with three Cabinet members.

— U.S. Rep. Patrick Meehan said he’s asking Education Secretary Arne Duncan to look into whether Penn State violated the Clery Act, which requires colleges and universities to prepare, publish and distribute an annual security report disclosing all criminal offenses reported to campus security or local police.

— Senate Majority Leader Dominic Pileggi, along with The Patriot-News and Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, called for Spanier to resign.

— Sandusky’s preliminary hearing scheduled for Wednesday is delayed until Dec. 7.

— The Centre Daily Times reports that Sandusky has been barred from being alone with his grandchildren under a temporary order on behalf of three children.

— Penn State students congregate on Paterno’s lawn in a show of support for the 84-year-old coach. Paterno briefly addresses the students, telling them to pray for the victims.

— The Board of Trustees releases a statement, saying it is “outraged by the horrifying details contained in the Grand Jury Report.” It also states that at Friday’s meeting, the Board will appoint a Special Committee to investigate the circumstances that “gave rise to the Grand Jury Report.”

Elspeth
11-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Nov. 9: Penn State's Board of Trustees fires head coach Joe Paterno and president Graham Spanier, effective immediately. Defensive coordinator Tom Bradley is named interim head coach and Rodney Erickson will serve as the interim school president. The news comes after Paterno announced he would retire at the end of the season. In that announcement, Paterno said, “This is a tragedy. It is one of the greatest sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more,” he said.

— U.S. Department of Education announces plans to launch investigation into the scandal at Penn State

Sources: Grand Jury report, Associated Press

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-11/penn-state-scandal/story/penn-state-timeline-jerry-sandusky-joe-paterno-mike-mcqueary#ixzz1dLzIW1zG

Kay
11-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Mclearly? for what? he didn't do anything criminal,
in fact he testified to a Grand Jury about what he saw Sandusky doing.

It's the "he didn't do anything" part that causes me to have no use for him.
If you walk by and see a man raping a 10 year old, and don't immediately
stomp his guts and/or brains out on the spot then you are an enabler. Just
reporting it later doesn't cut it. You don't see something like that and walk
away. And you sure don't just keep working along side the guy like nothing
ever happened just because your boss failed to fire the scumbag pedophile.

Bailey
11-10-2011, 09:27 PM

I couldn't agree more.

CueSi
11-10-2011, 10:04 PM
There may be more to the story:

Ya think? I would not be surprised if the NCAA and the Board of Ed isn't called in before this is over.

Yeah... not even a tap on the shoulder like and a, "Dude, what are you DOING?!" He went home to call his daddy for advice.

Seriously?

Turn in your man card.

~QC

NJCardFan
11-10-2011, 10:10 PM
People are trying to vindicate Paterno but here's the deal. If you see a crime being committed or are made aware one happened, do you go to the authorities or do you tell your boss? Simply telling the athletic director is not enough. Paterno had a moral obligation to make the proper authorities know what he knows and allow them to investigate. Or at least, when his superiors failed to act, he should have acted.

Kay
11-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Just a couple of weeks ago I watched the move Sleepers for the first time.
Great movie if you never seen it. Every time I hear or read something
about this story, I can't help but see Kevin Bacon's face.

Elspeth
11-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Ok. I'm tired of all the comparisons of Penn State to the Catholic church.

For all those who would do so, Jerry Sandusky and Penn State president Graham Spanier were both Jewish. Paterno and McQueary were Catholic. I am sure there were a bunch of Protestants in the mix as well.

This isn't about religion. This is about a man with a horrible desire to rape young boys. This goes beyond religion. This is just plain evil.

CueSi
11-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Ok. I'm tired of all the comparisons of Penn State to the Catholic church.

For all those who would do so, Jerry Sandusky and Penn State president Graham Spanier were both Jewish. Paterno and McQueary were Catholic. I am sure there were a bunch of Protestants in the mix as well.

This isn't about religion. This is about a man with a horrible desire to rape young boys. This goes beyond religion. This is just plain evil.

It's about the fanatical devotion to Penn State, and Paterno's longevity as a coach. That is why there is such a comparison to the Catholic Church.

In some parts of the country, College and High School football is as a religion. This is just as devestating as it had been Bobby Bowden in FSU in the late 80's early 90's, or Lou Holtz and Notre Dame in the same decade.

~QC

Elspeth
11-11-2011, 12:21 AM
It's about the fanatical devotion to Penn State, and Paterno's longevity as a coach. That is why there is such a comparison to the Catholic Church.

In some parts of the country, College and High School football is as a religion. This is just as devestating as it had been Bobby Bowden in FSU in the late 80's early 90's, or Lou Holtz and Notre Dame in the same decade.

~QC

What you're talking about is "idol worship".

Thou shalt have no gods before me. Even football.

CueSi
11-11-2011, 12:28 AM
What you're talking about is "idol worship".

Thou shalt have no gods before me. Even football.

Well, not everyone follows the 10 commandments.

~QC

Kay
11-11-2011, 12:37 AM
It's about the fanatical devotion to Penn State, and Paterno's longevity as a coach.
That is why there is such a comparison to the Catholic Church.

Exactly. Had this been the Jr. High school coach in Podunk, Anywhere that got
caught in the showers raping a kid, it would have been a big scandalous thing.
But since it was in the sacred Penn State locker room it was swept under the
carpet rather than risk a scandal.

fettpett
11-11-2011, 01:58 AM
I haven't heard much comparison between the two, and I listen to a lot of sports radio, along with politics. Frankely kinda got tired of the story on Tuesday :( not because of the story in of it's self, but how many in the media were going on and on, on the same points. It got tiresome hearing the same thing over and over.

McQueary was wrong, and Kay I said as much. But think of it as a shock to the system, seeing a guy that was one of his coaches, and probably in everything but this a very good guy, someone that you looked up to, doing something so henious. Many of us would like to say "oh yeah I'd go stop it" but the truth is very few of us would. Calling his dad was a whiny kid move seeing as McQueary was like 28 I believe at the time, and going to campus police would have been the smarter move at lest or going to Paterno that night instead of waiting till morning.

CueSi
11-11-2011, 04:10 AM
What gets me is he didn't even make his presence known to distract him. Not even a tap on the shoulder with a , "What The hell are you doing, man?!" Not even a throat clearing. Not a damn word.

THE HELL, man? I at least would make enough noise till he stopped. I know I wouldn't be calling my daddy, dammit.

~QC

Tipsycatlover
11-11-2011, 10:12 AM
It was more than a moral obligation. He was an employee of the school! He wasn't someone just walking by!

Rebel Yell
11-11-2011, 12:30 PM

McQueery will be fired. You can bet that, but Paterno deserved to be fired. NO ONE had more power to stop this than Paterno. He had numerous chances to stop it, but chose to look the other way.

Rebel Yell
11-11-2011, 12:33 PM
oh so Joe pa raped kids? Oh he didn't tell anyone? Nope on both counts. Only mistake he made was trusting higher ups to handle it.

You know damn well, that in the real world, Paterno had no higher ups. Why did Paterno let Sandusky back into the program. Hell, the man was there last week.

Bailey
11-11-2011, 12:38 PM
McQueery will be fired. You can bet that, but Paterno deserved to be fired. NO ONE had more power to stop this than Paterno. He had numerous chances to stop it, but chose to look the other way.

Well you are wrong, I'd say the guy who saw the wrong doings had more power to stop it.

Rebel Yell
11-11-2011, 12:39 PM
McQueary was wrong, and Kay I said as much. But think of it as a shock to the system, seeing a guy that was one of his coaches, and probably in everything but this a very good guy, someone that you looked up to, doing something so henious. Many of us would like to say "oh yeah I'd go stop it" but the truth is very few of us would. Calling his dad was a whiny kid move seeing as McQueary was like 28 I believe at the time, and going to campus police would have been the smarter move at lest or going to Paterno that night instead of waiting till morning.

I agree, but at some point the shock wears off and you actually do something about it. I can't help but think about that 10 year old boy geting raped and saw McQueary standing there. What must have went through his mind when that pussy just walked away.

Rebel Yell
11-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Well you are wrong, I'd say the guy who saw the wrong doings had more power to stop it.

I'm not saying that JoePa is more culpable than McQueary. I'm sayijngn that, after the fact, no one had more power to stop Sandusky than JoePa. There is no excuse for JoePa to keep letting Sandusky into the facilities with young oys. He never even confronted his friend of 30 years about what he was told. JoePa didn't want to know.

Elspeth
11-11-2011, 02:52 PM

Paterno wasn't the President of the university: Spanier was. And administrators Schultz and Curley were considered not credible by the grand jury. There's more than enough blame to go around. Also, the NY Times has a great article about how the local police dropped the ball as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/sports/ncaafootball/aftermath-of-1998-sandusky-investigation-raises-additional-questions.html?_r=1

fettpett
11-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Paterno wasn't the President of the university: Spanier was. And administrators Schultz and Curley were considered not credible by the grand jury. There's more than enough blame to go around. Also, the NY Times has a great article about how the local police dropped the ball as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/sports/ncaafootball/aftermath-of-1998-sandusky-investigation-raises-additional-questions.html?_r=1

:rolleyes::rolleyes: you don't get how schools work, particularly where you have a guy who's a living legend. Paterno had the power to easily get this taken care of from day one and chose not to.He had the power to hire and fire and tell the school who should and shouldn't be on campus. It's just as much on his shoulders as Spanier.

Elspeth
11-11-2011, 07:24 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes: you don't get how schools work, particularly where you have a guy who's a living legend. Paterno had the power to easily get this taken care of from day one and chose not to.He had the power to hire and fire and tell the school who should and shouldn't be on campus. It's just as much on his shoulders as Spanier.

Spanier could have pulled rank. He'd have been unpopular, but he could have had some balls anyway.

I understand that Paterno was a god in State College, though. Maybe it's good that the old man was fired this way. No human should ever be that much of a god to anyone. This is why we have a first commandment.

Bailey
11-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Spanier could have pulled rank. He'd have been unpopular, but he could have had some balls anyway.

I understand that Paterno was a god in State College, though. Maybe it's good that the old man was fired this way. No human should ever be that much of a god to anyone. This is why we have a first commandment.

Joe hasnt been the coach of that team for 10 years for crying out loud, hes/was a figure head. THE ASSHOLE WHO SAW THIS WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY AS A PUSSY

Elspeth
11-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Joe hasnt been the coach of that team for 10 years for crying out loud, hes/was a figure head. THE ASSHOLE WHO SAW THIS WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY AS A PUSSY

What asshole are you referring to?:confused:

Bailey
11-11-2011, 07:39 PM
What asshole are you referring to?:confused:

Sorry I meant McQueary, I am choking on my own rage here.

Elspeth
11-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Sorry I meant McQueary, I am choking on my own rage here.

McQueary is apparently covered by whistleblower protections. The fact that no one went to the police is appalling, but legally McQueary may be in the clear.

Elspeth
11-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Two more victims have been found.

(There will be dozens more by the time this is all over.)

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20111111_Pa__troopers_interview_two_new_accusers_i n_Penn_State_sex_scandal.html

Pa. troopers interview two new accusers in Penn State sex scandal

By John P. Martin, Jeremy Roebuck, and Jeff Gammage

The investigation into alleged child sex abuse by a former Pennsylvania State University football coach expanded Thursday, as state authorities explored new allegations against Jerry Sandusky and Texas police opened a probe into claims he molested a boy there twice in the 1990s.

Pennsylvania state troopers have interviewed at least two new accusers since Sandusky's arrest last weekend and were girding for more, according to a source close to the case but unauthorized to publicly discuss it.

Police believe the national spotlight will spur more victims to break years of silence, much like Catholic church sex-abuse scandal did, the source said...

The university trustees met privately for a fourth time this week. At its public meeting Friday, the board is expected to name a special committee to investigate how the university responded to the allegations about Sandusky...

Bailey
11-11-2011, 08:07 PM
McQueary is apparently covered by whistleblower protections. The fact that no one went to the police is appalling, but legally McQueary may be in the clear.

What whistle did he blow? he didnt go to the cops and Paterno should be covered as well since he went to the AD but he lost his job as well. If i was Coach Paterno i'd sue the school.

Elspeth
11-11-2011, 08:12 PM
What whistle did he blow? he didnt go to the cops and Paterno should be covered as well since he went to the AD but he lost his job as well. If i was Coach Paterno i'd sue the school.

I'm not sure what the statute is, only that Governor Corbett referred to that as the reason why McQueary still had a job.

Bailey
11-11-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure what the statute is, only that Governor Corbett referred to that as the reason why McQueary still had a job.

My point is if McQueary went to Joe and didnt lose his job why did joe lose his if he went to the next stage up? I am confused

Elspeth
11-11-2011, 08:50 PM
My point is if McQueary went to Joe and didnt lose his job why did joe lose his if he went to the next stage up? I am confused

Good question. It may be because the grand jury report shows Paterno minimizing the assault. According to the grand jury report, McQueary told Paterno of the full rape. Paterno, on the other hand, remembers passing it up the chain as "horseplay".

The grand jury report is online and easily googled.

Tipsycatlover
11-11-2011, 10:29 PM
What happened to the DA right before he was going to file a slew of charges?

Did either of these guys, McCreary and Paterno know what happened to the DA and were afraid to say anything lest the same thing happen to them?

Elspeth
11-11-2011, 10:31 PM
What happened to the DA right before he was going to file a slew of charges?

Did either of these guys, McCreary and Paterno know what happened to the DA and were afraid to say anything lest the same thing happen to them?

That is an excellent question. As of now, no one claims to know what happened to the DA. He has just been declared legally dead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060027/Ray-Gricar-disappeared-2005-tried-bring-sex-abuse-case-Penn-States-Jerry-Sandusky.html

The district attorney who tried and failed to prosecute Jerry Sandusky in 1998 after reports of sexual abuse emerged, has been missing since 2005 and was declared legally dead in July.

Ray Gricar disappeared on April 15 six years ago after telling his girlfriend he was going for a drive.

His body was never found, only his abandoned car and his laptop which had been tossed in the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania without its hard drive.

In 1998, Gricar had attempted to bring a case against Penn State former football defence coordinator Jerry Sandusky on child rape charges.

The case of Sandusky, accused of years of abuse of boys that allegedly was covered up by school officials, has shaken the university and its football programme...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060027/Ray-Gricar-disappeared-2005-tried-bring-sex-abuse-case-Penn-States-Jerry-Sandusky.html#ixzz1dSEoxrWN

Tipsycatlover
11-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Sandusky has a lot of motive for killing that DA.

Elspeth
11-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Sandusky has a lot of motive for killing that DA.

If Gricar's death had to do with Sandusky, then it goes further than the one man. I find it hard to believe that the school officials would murder someone--especially when they could buy the guy off. My hunch is that the Second Mile "charity" was actually a larger pedophile ring than has come to light and that someone from that ring made sure Gricar was taken care of.

Of course, there is an interesting alternative theory:

http://www.dallasjustice.com/dallascriminallawyerblog/suspicious-ray-gricar-actions-as-d-a-investigating-penn-state-child-abuse-makes-me-think-gricar-is-alive-and-well-and-the-fbi-does-too

1. Ray Gricar is no hero.

Ray Gricar was present for that Grand Jury and he’s hearing all that testimony. Go read the Victim 6 testimony. In it, Sandusky gave a confession, a CONFESSION.

Sandusky states to Victim 6′s mother — as overheard by State College Police Department Detective Ralph Ralston and University Police Detective Ronald Shreffler — that his genitals “maybe” touched the kid’s naked body as he, also naked, hugged the boy in the shower. Sandusky to the mother: “I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won’t get it from you. I wish I could die.”

Jerry Sandusky knew what he had done to those boys was wrong. He said so. This testimony is absolute proof of guilt. Any wet behind the ears DA could have gotten a conviction with this evidence.

Ray Gricar wasn’t a newbie prosecutor. Ray Gricar had this testimony, along with everything else you can read in that Grand Jury transcript, and he didn’t file a thing.

All this jabber about Gricar being his own man and going after justice, not being political: that is a bunch of hooey. Read the six victim transcript. It’s blatantly obvious Gricar is no hero here.

2. Ray Gricar Intentionally Didn’t Pursue This Prosecution

Media reports have DA Ray Gricar involved in the Sandusky child abuse investigation with Gricar having Jerry Sandusky setup by police in one victim’s house, where he spoke with the boy’s mother while the cops listened to the conversation. As reported to the Grand Jury, Jerry Sandusky admitted in the presence of a police officer that he, in fact, showered with the child victim, which would corroborate the sexual abuse allegation. He also admitted that what he did was wrong.

So, cops have the evidence and they take it back to the DA. Think about Law and Order on TV: the cop part of the show is done, and now the story flips to the attorney part.

Well, here District Attorney Ray Gricar declined to prosecute Penn State’s Jerry Sandusky for a lack of evidence. Gricar is telling people that he doesn’t have enough to go forward.

Look, I’m an experienced criminal defense attorney: usually having a prosecutor say words like this is music to my ears. Not here. This is very, very strange based on my experience. Read that transcript again: Gricar doesn’t have enough evidence? Bull.

3. Gricar Disappears in 2005 – So Where is He?

Next thing you know, District Attorney Ray Gricar has disappeared from the face of the earth. No body has ever been found. From the NCAA site, we know that his car was found abandoned 50 miles away from his home; his laptop, wallet, and keys were missing; and there was a search on the home computer, “how to wreck a hard drive.”

His personal computer – a laptop that Gricar was supposed to return to the District Attorney’s Office as he was about to retire – was found in a local river, but its hard drive was long gone. Guts of that laptop had been apparently removed.

In my opinion, it seems like Gricar deep-sixed the sex investigation to protect Penn State, and has since disappeared. But that doesn’t mean he’s dead.

FBI Reports Ray Gricar is Missing, Not Dead

If you visit the Federal Bureau of Investigation site, you will find what the federal government thinks about this case. Pennsylvania district attorney Ray Gricar is listed as MISSING. He’s known to have not one but two alias: Ray Gray and Ray Lange.

Tipsycatlover
11-11-2011, 10:46 PM
If Gricar's death had to do with Sandusky, then it goes further than the one man. I find it hard to believe that the school officials would murder someone--especially when they could buy the guy off. My hunch is that the Second Mile "charity" was actually a larger pedophile ring than has come to light and that someone from that ring made sure Gricar was taken care of.

Events have proved you more correct than not. It was a gay child-brothel with the boys being pimped out for money.

Elspeth
11-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Events have proved you more correct than not. It was a gay child-brothel with the boys being pimped out for money.

Do you have the link on that?

If this is true, then this scandal goes beyond Penn State. One wonders how far up the rot goes.

Elspeth
11-12-2011, 12:28 AM
BTW, has everyone heard that Sandusky is out; he is free on 100K unsecured bail: he doesn't have to post the money unless he doesn't show up in court later this month. They decided that Sandusky is not a flight risk or a risk to himself and others.

HOW DOES THAT WORK?

Tipsycatlover
11-12-2011, 09:40 AM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/shock-allegations-penn-st-coach-may-have-been-pimping-out-boys-to-donors/

•Local radio host says there are “rumors” the Penn St. coach at the center of child rape allegations may have been “pimping out” boys, affiliated with the charity he worked for, to donors.
•The host, Mark Madden, has been right before: he was the first person to break the news about the scandal seven months ago.
•Madden also says it could be revealed that the coach, Jerry Sandusky, was told “he had to retire in exchange for a cover-up.”

If you think the Penn St. University rape scandal involving a coach and several young boys is new news, think again. Back in April, a Pittsburgh radio host named Mark Madden wrote a story about coach Jerry Sandusky and the allegations, and alleged that the university could have had covered it up. Parts of his article were almost prophetic:

Elspeth
11-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Jesus, Tipsy!

That's just too wild to be believed. I'll check it out. I was thinking that maybe Second Mile was a real charity that got co-opted by some local NAMBLA board member and Sandusky's proclivities to child rape were used as blackmail.

If Madden is right, then perhaps the charity was started as a pedophile ring to begin with? They did some legit charity work to keep the authorities away, but....

God, it's just too sick to even contemplate.

This is when I hope there is indeed a hell. A really hot, hot, hell.