PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Law Professor Calls Care Packages for U.S. Troops 'Shameful'

txradioguy
11-14-2011, 03:08 PM
A Massachusetts law professor has created a campus firestorm with an email to colleagues that declares it would be "shameful" to send care packages to U.S. troops "who have gone overseas to kill other human beings."

Michael Avery, a professor at Suffolk University Law School, sent a five-paragraph email to colleagues in response to a school-wide appeal for care packages for deployed soldiers, Fox affiliate WFXT-TV reports.

"I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings," Avery wrote.

The professor, who specializes in constitutional law, wrote the email last week in response to a university drive to collect items for U.S. troops, like sunblock and sanitary products. He also wrote that sympathy for American troops in harm's way is "not particularly rational in today's world."

Paul Spera, past commander in chief of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, blasted Avery's remarks on Monday, calling the professor's argument "despicable."

"The shameful thing is that hes teaching our young people," Spera told FoxNews.com.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/14/massachusetts-law-professor-calls-care-packages-for-us-troops-shameful/#ixzz1dhygRKt5

Apache
11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Pos

Tipsycatlover
11-14-2011, 10:06 PM
He should be sent over there on a nice little fact finding mission. Without a military security detail, we wouldn't want to insult him by having all those violent guys around.

Rockntractor
11-14-2011, 10:11 PM
"I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings," Avery wrote.

It is more shameful for an academic institution to employ a professor that that doesn't have common human decency.

Novaheart
11-15-2011, 01:04 AM
It is more shameful for an academic institution to employ a professor that that doesn't have common human decency.

We who are not "academics" and those who are "academics" have quite different ideas about what a university is. We think it's a place where you go to learn something useful and get a piece of paper that says "Hire me and pay me more than you would have four, six, or eighteen years ago." They think it's a place where people call each other "Doctor" and there isn't an MD in the room. They think it's a place where great ideas are discussed, which must mean that the people discussing them are great.

I mean seriously, the professor at Yale who wrote a poem for Henry Louis Gates shortly after the incident? I wanted to barf.

But you know what was funnier than that? The idiot on DU who tried to chastise me for mocking poets, who posted "Strange Fruit" , credited it to Billie Holliday (who didn't write it), and accompanied it with a picture of a "lynching" which was actually an execution.

NJCardFan
11-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Why do I get the feeling that this piece of crap wouldn't be against organizing care packages for prison inmates.

fettpett
11-15-2011, 08:23 AM
This clown can take a very long walk off a short pier, above a very high cliff.. :(

Arroyo_Doble
11-15-2011, 09:09 AM
A friend that deployed (an evil public school teacher who is also in the reserves) told me that the best thing she got were the sheets we gave her.

Strange thing, that.

Oh, and the professor in the OP is a douchebag. The military serves to project the political will of this nation. If he doesn't want them over seas "kill[ing] other people," he should try to convince his fellow citizens not to send them.

AmPat
11-15-2011, 09:21 AM
A friend that deployed (an evil public school teacher who is also in the reserves) told me that the best thing she got were the sheets we gave her.

Strange thing, that.

Oh, and the professor in the OP is a douchebag. The military serves to project the political will of this nation. If he doesn't want them over seas "kill[ing] other people," he should try to convince his fellow citizens not to send them.

These POC make stupid anti-American statements because it gives them the academic equivalent of Street Cred. They don't care what limits they exceed as long as they get the proverbial pat on the back from the liberal crowd. :cool:

noonwitch
11-15-2011, 12:10 PM
I wonder if this guy is one of those cranks who sends out a message like this to his peers every year, and this year, they all just got sick of it.

The care packages are really great things for school kids to prepare and send. Each kid can provide an item and it ends up not costing anyone very much money, but spreads a lot of joy to some people who could use it.

When my sister was at MSU during the first Gulf War, the MSU students used to send packages of baby wipes, body lotion, Koolaid packets, Twinkies and other things, addressed to "any soldier" in a specific division. I remember buying a bunch of stuff and giving it to her for the baskets.

Molon Labe
11-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Wah? That's one of the few things a soldier can actually look forward to overseas..

Especially when he gets a little Jack Daniel mini in a secret Pringles can. ;)

Odysseus
11-17-2011, 02:29 PM
So, a law school professor, and presumably, an attorney, considers the military's mission shameful? What next? Will crack whores start carping about our grooming habits?

I'm sure that this clown, whose claimed specialty is Constitutional law, would have no problem sending Halal care packages to Gitmo.

txradioguy
11-17-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm sure that this clown, whose claimed specialty is Constitutional law, would have no problem sending Halal care packages to Gitmo.

You're assuming he hasn't already. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find his name on the list of lawyers defending those scumbags down at Gitmo pro bono

Odysseus
11-17-2011, 06:13 PM
You're assuming he hasn't already. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find his name on the list of lawyers defending those scumbags down at Gitmo pro bono

Wouldn't surprise me, either. It's sad that a Constitutional law professor takes such a dim view of one of the few federal institutions that is actually mandated by the Constitution.

Arroyo_Doble
11-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Wouldn't surprise me, either. It's sad that a Constitutional law professor takes such a dim view of one of the few federal institutions that is actually mandated by the Constitution.

The Post Office?

Odysseus
11-17-2011, 11:02 PM
The Post Office?

Try not to play dumb, Annoyo. It just makes it harder to tell when you aren't playing.

txradioguy
11-18-2011, 02:36 AM
Try not to play dumb, Annoyo. It just makes it harder to tell when you aren't playing.

QFT

Lanie
11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
What a butthole.

AmPat
11-18-2011, 02:00 PM
What a butthole.

AD or the Prof???:confused:

Zathras
11-18-2011, 04:27 PM

Got some news for you Ody...AD's not playing here.

Lanie
11-18-2011, 04:28 PM
AD or the Prof???:confused:

The professor.

AmPat
11-18-2011, 05:14 PM
The professor.

You hit 50%, not bad for a lib.:D