Molon Labe
11-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Can anybody explain this?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=military+donations+by+candidate

http://troopssupport2012.com/images/2012_military_presidential_donations2.gif

http://libertyportal.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/rep-field-piechart1-sm.gif

Arroyo_Doble
11-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Paul has a loyal following and they have shown they are more than willing to put their money where his mouth is in the past .......... that and perhaps they like his philosophy when comes to how and where and why we should use our military force.

noonwitch
11-15-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm shocked to see Obama 2nd on that list.

Molon Labe
11-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Me too...judging by the fact that he could give two shats about it.

Starbuck
11-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Can anybody explain this?............

Because the entire dollar amount only adds up to $80,000, which when you consider the scope of Presidential campaigns, is pretty insignificant. And when you consider that the armed forces consists of 1.5 million people, that comes to about 5 cents each.......................

Ron Paul's take at $36,000 is about 2 cents each............

AmPat
11-15-2011, 02:29 PM

The percentage of Blacks in the military is more around three times that of the total population. Blacks will mindlessly support O Blah Blah regardless of military affiliation.:cool:

Molon Labe
11-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Because the entire dollar amount only adds up to $80,000, which when you consider the scope of Presidential campaigns, is pretty insignificant. And when you consider that the armed forces consists of 1.5 million people, that comes to about 5 cents each.......................

Correct....but look beyond dollar amount. This is actual members.

..... doesn't this mean of those in the military that feel strongly about donating....they are doing so for a particular candidate. And looking at the numbers it's by a 2 to 1 ratio over ALL other Republicans.

This is confusing based on his F.P. stances compared with the rest.

txradioguy
11-15-2011, 04:27 PM
This is confusing based on his F.P. stances compared with the rest.

Not really. It's like Ronulans touting all of his straw poll wins every single election cycle.

It's hyped up propaganda from the Paul camp that in the end signifies nothing.

Kinda like the Ronulans that like to trot out the Ron paul and Ronald Reagan pic to try and prove some kind of link between the two.

fettpett
11-15-2011, 06:38 PM
I'd rather see vote totals and polls than donations.

Kay
11-15-2011, 09:11 PM
If you read the articles, this poll includes people who listed one of the
5 branches as their employer....not just those who are enlisted and active.
So this also includes civilians who are employed by the military too.

Also this could be skewed by the low sample size of the population polled
in relation to all military personnel, and other factors like the region polled?
Did they poll across all locations or just the DC area?

I don't put a lot of faith in this being a true and correct picture.

Molon Labe
12-13-2011, 04:17 PM
If you read the articles, this poll includes people who listed one of the
5 branches as their employer....not just those who are enlisted and active.
So this also includes civilians who are employed by the military too.

Also this could be skewed by the low sample size of the population polled
in relation to all military personnel, and other factors like the region polled?
Did they poll across all locations or just the DC area?

I don't put a lot of faith in this being a true and correct picture.

It's not a poll. It's receipts from all donations for each candidate.

From what I'm reading, this is the way all candidates measure this data.

Odysseus
12-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Paul's talk of reducing deployments resonates with some of the younger troops, who have been back and forth to the sandbox more times than they care to think about, but at this point, what you are seeing reflects the strength of his support and the fact that the field hasn't coalesced around a single candidate. Most officers and senior NCOs are wating to see how things shake out before committing funds to a candidate. It's a basic axiom of tactical operations that you identify a position from which you can engage your objective and only then do you commit resources to the assault.

Obama is popular among some black troops, although he is not as popular as among the general black population.

Tecate
12-14-2011, 12:21 AM
I always get a kick out of how Ron Paul's "extremely loyal followers" are used as an excuse to explain away anything positive about Ron Paul.

As if Ron Paul supporters are somehow capable of doing things that no one else could ever do. lol

djones520
12-14-2011, 01:31 AM

I'm not. I think it just shows that not many in the military donate, and those that do are nutballs.

marinejcksn
12-14-2011, 01:40 AM
I believe it has to do with the fact that Dr. Paul wants to bring troops home from overseas on bases around the World as to why the military supports him this much financially. That, and the fact that our military is increasingly younger and Ron Paul draws out a support base of younger people substantially.

Having said this, what are the feelings about Paul? I haven't heard much here. Personally, I can't stand that Hannity and Rush and Fox write him off as crazy while claiming to be openminded. We're still allowing Huntsman and Santorum in debates and they have virtually no following but yet we're supposed to write off Ron Paul why?

He has flaws like all the other candidates in this race. But that doesn't give reason to just write him off immediately, in my opinion.

djones520
12-14-2011, 03:10 AM
I believe it has to do with the fact that Dr. Paul wants to bring troops home from overseas on bases around the World as to why the military supports him this much financially. That, and the fact that our military is increasingly younger and Ron Paul draws out a support base of younger people substantially.

Having said this, what are the feelings about Paul? I haven't heard much here. Personally, I can't stand that Hannity and Rush and Fox write him off as crazy while claiming to be openminded. We're still allowing Huntsman and Santorum in debates and they have virtually no following but yet we're supposed to write off Ron Paul why?

He has flaws like all the other candidates in this race. But that doesn't give reason to just write him off immediately, in my opinion.

I've never heard a single young Airmen bitch about getting stationed in Japan, or Korea, or Germany. They love getting sent overseas. There is never a shortage of volunteers.

As was pointed out, this is a collection of $80,000 in donations. 1.5 million active duty personnel, and $80,000 in donations. It is not indicitive of a trend. It just shows that the folks who support Paul and Obama are more likely to donate early and often. The rest of us are more concerned with making sure our families can remain fed.

txradioguy
12-14-2011, 03:21 AM
I always get a kick out of how Ron Paul's "extremely loyal followers" are used as an excuse to explain away anything positive about Ron Paul.

There's been something positive about Dr. Nuts?

What's positive about blaming the U.S. for 9/11? Or Blaming your own country for the situation in Iran?

Lifting the embargo on a repressive Communist country is positive?

As if Ron Paul supporters are somehow capable of doing things that no one else could ever do. lol

Well that's what you cultists keep telling us.

marinejcksn
12-14-2011, 10:38 AM
I've never heard a single young Airmen bitch about getting stationed in Japan, or Korea, or Germany. They love getting sent overseas. There is never a shortage of volunteers.

That's true to a point. I was deployed in Japan almost a year and enjoyed it. But the idea of us maintaining bases over there is just another expense we can't afford indefinitely. We can maintain small detatchments and supplies and equipment abroad, but we dont need thousands of troops in these countries when we can rapidly deploy troops in a matter of hours from the US.

And I'm sick and tired of Paul getting slammed as an Anti-semite and all this other nonsense. He at least offers solutions instead of platitudes and more of the status quo. Whether his ideas are good or not, at least he's offering solutions to be debated and considered.

DumbAss Tanker
12-14-2011, 11:16 AM

Bingo. Those of us in the military are not big political donors, not generally having a lot of disposable income after the bills are paid, except for a relative handful of highly-politicized activists...a category Ron Paul and the Otard pretty well dominate.

Adam Wood
12-14-2011, 02:44 PM

As was pointed out, this is a collection of $80,000 in donations. 1.5 million active duty personnel, and $80,000 in donations. It is not indicitive of a trend. It just shows that the folks who support Paul and Obama are more likely to donate early and often. The rest of us are more concerned with making sure our families can remain fed.Nail, meet head.

As the last sentence in this article (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3601542&page=1#.Tujk4WOzGCY) indicates, this is merely a single snapshot in time. Paul supporters in particular are very enthusiastic, and Paul really almost never stopped campaigning after 2008. These are second-quarter numbers, and Paul announced his campaign in the second quarter. As such, it makes complete sense that Paul supporters, all of whom had been eager for him to run in the first place, stampeded out to donate to him. Others, given the wide field, kept their powder dry.

This is not dismissive, nor is there anything wrong with Paul supporters donating early. It just is.

Articulate_Ape
12-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Not really. It's like Ronulans touting all of his straw poll wins every single election cycle.

It's hyped up propaganda from the Paul camp that in the end signifies nothing.

Really? He's polling a close second to Newt in Iowa atm (22%/21%) with Romney at 16%. You can rationalize it any way you choose, but those are the numbers.

Molon Labe
12-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Well that's what you cultists keep telling us.

From the polling in Iowa and NH 20% of the Republican party is polling voting for him in the primary. I don't think that 20% of the GOP is a cult. That's a strong segment of the old Paleo wing that could lose a general election for the GOP. I think it's a mistake to suggest that.

Molon Labe
01-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Kinda like the Ronulans that like to trot out the Ron paul and Ronald Reagan pic to try and prove some kind of link between the two.

You mean like the fact that he was one of four Republicans in the entire congress who endorsed Reagan in 76' when nobody else would?

Here's your top contributors by politician
http://www.opensecrets.org/

Obama - Microsoft

Romney - Goldman Sachs

Paul - US Army

Gingrich - Rock TN co.

Perry - Ryan LLC

Tell me who's for "we the people" and who's for the elite again?

Articulate_Ape
01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberalsĖif we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.

Now, I canít say that I will agree with all the things that the present group who call themselves Libertarians in the sense of a party say, because I think that like in any political movement there are shades, and there are libertarians who are almost over at the point of wanting no government at all or anarchy. I believe there are legitimate government functions. There is a legitimate need in an orderly society for some government to maintain freedom or we will have tyranny by individuals. The strongest man on the block will run the neighborhood. We have government to insure that we donít each one of us have to carry a club to defend ourselves. But again, I stand on my statement that I think that libertarianism and conservatism are travelling the same path. ~ Ronald Reagan, 1975

From here. (http://reason.com/archives/1975/07/01/inside-ronald-reagan)

Novaheart
01-03-2012, 03:41 PM
The percentage of Blacks in the military is more around three times that of the total population. Blacks will mindlessly support O Blah Blah regardless of military affiliation.:cool:

I'm surprised that this went unchallenged.

The military has put out the word that the ranks are generally representative of the population ethnically and that economically the enlisted are drawn from a higher economic demographic than is often claimed by those who support a draft.

So, is the military lying about the ethnic demographics? You are claiming that blacks are 37.8% of the military, and I understand that you were being general, but did you intend to make a factual statement or was it merely an impression?