PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving cranberries

SaintLouieWoman
11-16-2011, 05:16 PM
A Thanksgiving Cranberry Recipe

What’s Thanksgiving without cranberries? These tart ruby-red fruits are bursting with flavor and packed with antioxidants. And they’re versatile as well. We’ve gone beyond traditional cranberry sauce to give you a new way to use this flavorful fruit.
Cranberry Orange Compote (Phase 2)
Description
This classic compote is the perfect accompaniment for your turkey meat and it makes a flavorful condiment for the next day’s sandwiches (you might want to double this recipe to ensure leftovers). Low in calories, cranberries are also a good source of vitamin C. If you like a sweeter compote, add a little more sugar substitute.
Make-ahead: The compote can be made up to 1 week in advance and refrigerated in a covered container. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Makes 8 (3-tablespoon) servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Ingredients
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup water
1/2 cup granular sugar substitute
Instructions
Place cranberries, zest, cinnamon, and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until berries have popped and compote has thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sugar substitute to taste. Serve at room temperature.
Nutritional information
Per (3-tablespoon) serving:
20 calories
0 g fat (0 g sat)
5 g carbohydrate
0 g protein
1 g fiber
0 mg sodium

linda22003
11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
I try to do something different every year; I always do a cooked sauce because raw relish is too harsh for my taste.

Among the ones I've done:

Cranberries and Pears
Cranberries and Mandarin Oranges
Cranberries and Port Wine with Cinnamon
Cranberries with Apples and Nuts

This year, I think, cranberries and fresh ginger....