PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon successfully tests hypersonic flying bomb

SarasotaRepub
11-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Excellent!!!! (http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-successfully-tests-hypersonic-flying-bomb-175200001.html) :thumbsup:

The Pentagon on Thursday held a successful test flight of a flying bomb that travels faster than the speed of sound and will give military planners the ability to strike targets anywhere in the world in less than a hour.

Launched by rocket from Hawaii at 1130 GMT, the "Advanced Hypersonic Weapon," or AHW, glided through the upper atmosphere over the Pacific "at hypersonic speed" before hitting its target on the Kwajalein atoll in the Marshall Islands, a Pentagon statement said.

Odysseus
11-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Excellent!!!! (http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-successfully-tests-hypersonic-flying-bomb-175200001.html) :thumbsup:

Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive! I love it!

Bailey
11-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive! I love it!

Wonder if it can bust bunkers?

Starbuck
11-18-2011, 01:12 PM

Hard to imagine anything surviving a missile strike when the missile is going over 3000 MPH. I would think you wouldn't even need an explosive charge at that speed.

Witmaster
11-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Hard to imagine anything surviving a missile strike when the missile is going over 3000 MPH. I would think you wouldn't even need an explosive charge at that speed.I am curious what the yeild is on this thing. With the right warhead and shaped charge, I could sit here on my Fob and blow holes through those damn mountains on the Pakistan border.

AmPat
11-18-2011, 01:36 PM
It doesn't need a pilot like Slim Pickens does it?:confused::eek:

JB
11-18-2011, 08:29 PM
a flying bomb that travels faster than the speed of sound I think it travels at about 5X the speed of sound. Which is even more awesomer.
before hitting its target on the Kwajalein atoll Ooh, ooh. Occupy Kwajalein Atoll by any chance? :D

Odysseus
11-18-2011, 11:16 PM
That depends on the size and shape of the payload and the depth of the bunker. A tank sabot round flies at about 1,740 m/s, give or take. At Mach 5, this missile is moving at about 1600 m/s, but it could have a much larger payload. If it were coupled with an explosive payload that could detonate after penetration, it could theoretically take out fairly deep bunkers.

I think it travels at about 5X the speed of sound. Which is even more awesomer.Ooh, ooh. Occupy Kwajalein Atoll by any chance? :D

That's not a bad idea, but we ought to be more ambitious than that. The Occuputzes like interfering with the military-industrial complex, so we ought to see if they'd like to volunteer as human shields. Occupy Teheran has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? :D

obx
11-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Ditto Ody. Occupy Pyongyang ?

AmPat
11-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Manfrancisco?:confused::eek:

Kay
11-19-2011, 11:02 AM
It doesn't need a pilot like Slim Pickens does it?:confused::eek:

Visual Aid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcW_Ygs6hm0

Odysseus