PDA

View Full Version : We lost our girl Xena today...

SarasotaRepub
11-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Xena was almost 11 and a half and we had to end her pain today.

What both of us suspected was confirmed, Xena had cancer in her right rear leg and was in a lot of pain so we helped her end the suffering.

That's two of our three, we still have Darlene.

Xena had a strong heart, it took 3 shots to stop it...

Rockntractor
11-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Xena was almost 11 and a half and we had to end her pain today.

What both of us suspected was confirmed, Xena had cancer in her right rear leg and was in a lot of pain so we helped her end the suffering.

That's two of our three, we still have Darlene.

Xena had a strong heart, it took 3 shots to stop it...

Real sorry to hear that.:(

Bailey
11-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Im very sorry to hear about your loss :(

Dont worry in time you will see them again :)

SarasotaRepub
11-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Here's a pic of Xena from a couple of years ago.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/2385bd4b.jpg

patriot45
11-25-2011, 08:10 PM
So sorry to hear that Bud. Me Robin and Atrain send our condolences.:(

SaintLouieWoman
11-25-2011, 08:37 PM
So sorry to hear that Bud. Me Robin and Atrain send our condolences.:(

Thanks so much, sitting here stunned, just too much has happened to us lately. Xena was a sweet dog, very gentle. She's been keeping to herself, but some neighbors came over this morning and she hopped in to see them.

The doc said her eyes were so dilated, and that she was in a lot of pain. I hate that damned osteosarcoma. This is the 3rd grey I've lost to that blankety blank disease. We had the choice of drugging her up and taking her home this weekend, but SR opted to end her pain now. She was his dog way before we even knew each other. He was right, she couldn't stay in that pain. Rest in peace, sweet Xena.

Bailey
11-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks so much, sitting here stunned, just too much has happened to us lately. Xena was a sweet dog, very gentle. She's been keeping to herself, but some neighbors came over this morning and she hopped in to see them.

The doc said her eyes were so dilated, and that she was in a lot of pain. I hate that damned osteosarcoma. This is the 3rd grey I've lost to that blankety blank disease. We had the choice of drugging her up and taking her home this weekend, but SR opted to end her pain now. She was his dog way before we even knew each other. He was right, she couldn't stay in that pain. Rest in peace, sweet Xena.

I know what you are going through I lost 2 golden retrivers to cancer :(

Constitutionally Speaking
11-25-2011, 09:36 PM
That is so sad. They just mean so much to us and it is so very hard to say goodbye.

Kay
11-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to read this.
You did the best you could for her, now she's at peace.

I hope Darlene isn't too depressed being the only dog in the family now.

MrsSmith
11-25-2011, 10:01 PM
So sorry about Xena. It's always hard to lose a best friend.

Elspeth
11-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I am so sorry. :(

Such a painful choice, but the best one under the circumstances.

SarasotaRepub
11-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

We had Darlene with us to give Xena some moral support and they were together in the same room with us at the end. Darlene was a little shy and kinda hid behind SLW. I had my girl in my arms at the end.

bijou
11-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Dreadful news, so sorry to hear this. :(

ABC in Georgia
11-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Oh how very sad. I am so sorry guys.

Darlene will probably need comforting now as well. She will miss her too.

My thoughts are with you.

~ Gerry

SaintLouieWoman
11-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Oh how very sad. I am so sorry guys.

Darlene will probably need comforting now as well. She will miss her too.

My thoughts are with you.

~ Gerry
Thanks, Gerry. Darlene seems pretty lost right now. She and Xena always played together and over the last month, Darlene had been comforting Xena. Right now she's laying on the twin daybed in our "computer room" near SR. We'll probably start looking for another dog shortly. There are so many dogs that need a home. Whatever we do, the decision is already made to get a rescue dog, but need to be sure that we get a non-aggressive dog. Darlene is a very sweet dog. I've hardly ever heard her growl.

Tecate
11-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Sorry to hear this.

My parents also lost their 10 year old Greyhound (Cricket) to this disease last December. At first we thought she had injured her front leg somehow and her situation actually improved for a period of days. Then when she couldn't even make it up or down the two stairs of the porch to the back yard without help it became clear that it was more than just a minor injury.

Once diagnosed by the vet, the poor thing didn't make it for two weeks...

My father was with her when she took her last breath.

Janice
11-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Thats really heart breaking news. We lost a cat to liver disease and a dog when he ran into the street and got run over by a Winnebago. Poor thing was still alive but his neck was obviously broke. I had to take my .38 (which I carry) and shoot him in the head to put him out of his misery. We have to make tough choices sometimes. Years later its still painful to think about. At least you guys decided to mercifully end the pain. Thats how I have to look at it. God bless.

CueSi
11-26-2011, 02:26 PM
I remember you talking about Xena from WAYYY back in the day. I am so sorry, SLW. So . . . Jimmy Stewart's "My Dog Beau"

"Beau"

by Jimmy Stewart

He never came to me when I would call
Unless I had a tennis ball,
Or he felt like it,
But mostly he didn't come at all.
When he was young
He never learned to heel
Or sit or stay,
He did things his way.

Discipline was not his bag
But when you were with him things sure didn't drag.
He'd dig up a rosebush just to spite me,
And when I'd grab him, he'd turn and bite me.

He bit lots of folks from day to day,
The delivery boy was his favorite prey.
The gas man wouldn't read our meter,
He said we owned a real man-eater.

He set the house on fire
But the story's long to tell.
Suffice it to say that he survived
And the house survived as well.

On the evening walks, and Gloria took him,
He was always first out the door.
The Old One and I brought up the rear
Because our bones were sore.

He would charge up the street with Mom hanging on,
What a beautiful pair they were!
And if it was still light and the tourists were out,
They created a bit of a stir.

But every once in a while, he would stop in his tracks
And with a frown on his face look around.
It was just to make sure that the Old One was there
And would follow him where he was bound.

We are early-to-bedders at our house--
I guess I'm the first to retire.
And as I'd leave the room he'd look at me
And get up from his place by the fire.

He knew where the tennis balls were upstairs,
And I'd give him one for a while.
He would push it under the bed with his nose
And I'd fish it out with a smile.

And before very long
He'd tire of the ball
And be asleep in his corner
In no time at all.

And there were nights when I'd feel him
Climb upon our bed
And lie between us,
And I'd pat his head.

And there were nights when I'd feel this stare
And I'd wake up and he'd be sitting there
And I reach out my hand and stroke his hair.
And sometimes I'd feel him sigh
and I think I know the reason why.

He would wake up at night
And he would have this fear
Of the dark, of life, of lots of things,
And he'd be glad to have me near.

And now he's dead.
And there are nights when I think I feel him
Climb upon our bed and lie between us,
And I pat his head.

And there are nights when I think
I feel that stare
And I reach out my hand to stroke his hair,
But he's not there.

Oh, how I wish that wasn't so,
I'll always love a dog named Beau.

~QC

CueSi
11-26-2011, 02:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGnCIdHQH0

~QC

Rockntractor
11-26-2011, 07:10 PM
That was very nice QC.:)

SarasotaRepub
11-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Yes it was!! :)

Novaheart
11-27-2011, 02:51 AM
Thanks, Gerry. Darlene seems pretty lost right now. She and Xena always played together and over the last month, Darlene had been comforting Xena. Right now she's laying on the twin daybed in our "computer room" near SR. We'll probably start looking for another dog shortly. There are so many dogs that need a home. Whatever we do, the decision is already made to get a rescue dog, but need to be sure that we get a non-aggressive dog. Darlene is a very sweet dog. I've hardly ever heard her growl.

Sorry to hear about your pup. My mom's greyhound didn't quite know what to make of my Rottweiler because Portia was pushy, so the greyhound did the most annoying thing you can do to a pushy person, she went to her room and wouldn't play.

In truth, she has only recently started acting like a dog. When she first came to us, she was extremely shy, quiet, and stayed as much of the way as possible. Now she jumps up and down and barks (if you can call it that) when I arrive at Mom's house. She nuzzles and cuddles, and lies about needing to go out so she can have another treat.

Needless to say, I am the go-to guy in our family for doggie cuddles and kisses.

linda22003
11-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm late catching up with the news. Very sorry to hear it. :(

djones520
11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Sorry to hear the news guys. Make sure you pay a lot of extra attention to Darlene. I just saw it with my mom last year where our dog passed away, and her cat followed shortly afterwards. They were best friends and when Ruffles died the cat just lost the will to live. He effectively starved himself to death over the next month.

With Darlene being alone now she may face similar issues. So make sure she's getting as much attention as possible and just watch her mood.

SarasotaRepub
11-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Sorry to hear the news guys. Make sure you pay a lot of extra attention to Darlene. I just saw it with my mom last year where our dog passed away, and her cat followed shortly afterwards. They were best friends and when Ruffles died the cat just lost the will to live. He effectively starved himself to death over the next month.

With Darlene being alone now she may face similar issues. So make sure she's getting as much attention as possible and just watch her mood.

Not to worry, she is getting PLENTY of extra attention and food. She's making out like a bandit.:D

She was really down yesterday but is bouncing back.

djones520
11-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Not to worry, she is getting PLENTY of extra attention and food. She's making out like a bandit.:D

She was really down yesterday but is bouncing back.

That's good to hear. How are you guys holding up?

SarasotaRepub
11-27-2011, 08:04 PM

Well her leaving us was sudden but we both know how painful and aggresive the greyhound bone cancer is and afer her leg swelled up I was pretty sure it was the endgame. She had also begun to lose weight VERY fast. There was no way I was going to make her suffer and SLW agreed so we did what was best.

We will probably have another pal for Darlene shortly...:)

djones520
11-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Well her leaving us was sudden but we both know how painful and aggresive the greyhound bone cancer is and afer her leg swelled up I was pretty sure it was the endgame. She had also begun to lose weight VERY fast. There was no way I was going to make her suffer and SLW agreed so we did what was best.

We will probably have another pal for Darlene shortly...:)

Get a Rotti. Can't go wrong with Rotti's. :D

SarasotaRepub
11-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Get a Rotti. Can't go wrong with Rotti's. :D

House insurance company doesn't like em. If it was up to me I'd get a Dane or a Doberman but SLW would kill me. :D

djones520
11-27-2011, 08:19 PM
House insurance company doesn't like em. If it was up to me I'd get a Dane or a Doberman but SLW would kill me. :D

Yeah, DoD seems to have their heads up there ass about them as well. If I understand it correctly, they just recently based a military wide ban on them. I plan on living off base next assignment so I can get one, then they'll have to deal with it when they send me overseas.

Novaheart
11-27-2011, 09:52 PM

I called Portia "Anne Frank" because I installed gates on interior doorways so she couldn't be seen from the outside in the daytime (the family room is all glass on two walls.) But that was that was a delightful private insurance company whose executives got into trouble. (http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/banking/article439305.ece) Now I have Citizens and don't really care what their dog policy is.

Anyway, Rottie Rescue folks will tell you that Rottweilers don't actually exist. Those adorable monsters you adopt from them are actually "mixed lab and golden retriever".

djones520
11-27-2011, 09:55 PM
I called Portia "Anne Frank" because I installed gates on interior doorways so she couldn't be seen from the outside in the daytime (the family room is all glass on two walls.) But that was that was a delightful private insurance company whose executives got into trouble. (http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/banking/article439305.ece) Now I have Citizens and don't really care what their dog policy is.

Anyway, Rottie Rescue folks will tell you that Rottweilers don't actually exist. Those adorable monsters you adopt from them are actually "mixed lab and golden retriever".

Hah! I'll have to try that one out.

SaintLouieWoman
11-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Not so well, it's been just too much for me to handle lately.

Tipsycatlover
11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
God Bless and keep her precious soul. She will be waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.

RobJohnson
11-29-2011, 03:18 AM
So sad to hear this. :mad:

noonwitch
11-29-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm sorry.

My dog is 13 and my cat is 15, I consider every day I have them with me to be a blessing.

Hawkgirl
12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
So sorry to hear about this....I firmly believe we will see our departed pets after we go as well....She is now pain free and at peace. It still sucks to lose her, but you did the right thing in ending her pain.