PDA

View Full Version : ABC hyped the teaser to sound like Ms. Palin was ready to press the button.

megimoo
09-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Palin Interview: She Didn’t Blink When Asked to Run

Palin Interview:ABC hyped the teaser to sound like Ms. Palin was ready to press the button.

“Exclusive: Gov. Sarah Palin warns war may be necessary if Russia invades another country.”

But the transcript showed that she was merely repeating Mr. McCain’s position and had not used provocative language. And we’re wondering if the McCain camp is reconsidering its selection of ABC, since it hyped the teaser to sound like Ms. Palin was ready to press the button.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/palin-interview-she-didnt-blink-when-asked-to-run/?hp

In Gov. Sarah Palin’s interview with ABC News, she said she “didn’t blink” when Senator John McCain asked her to be his running mate.

Charles Gibson, the interviewer, asked her if she didn’t hesitate and question whether she was experienced enough.

“I didn’t hesitate, no,” she said.

He asked if that didn’t that take some hubris.

“I answered him yes,” Ms. Palin said, “because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can’t blink, you have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we’re on, reform of this country and victory in the war, you can’t blink. So I didn’t blink then even when asked to run as his running mate.”

Ms. Palin, the governor of Alaska, is making her debut news interview, 13 days after Mr. McCain plucked her from relative obscurity to fill the second-most powerful position in the country and perhaps the most powerful, should the need arise.

The McCain campaign selected Mr. Gibson to be her first questioner, and the network is taking the opportunity to stretch out its eye in the spotlight as curiosity about Ms. Palin has sent network ratings soaring.

Excerpts from Mr. Gibson’s first interview are to appear tonight on “World News” at 6:30 P.M., Eastern, and again on “Nightline” tonight. There’s more on Friday, starting with “Good Morning America” at 7 A.M., then again on “World News” and on “20/20,” which will broadcast a one-hour special edition at 10 P.M.

The network teased the interview on its Web site this afternoon with this eye-popping bulletin: “Exclusive: Gov. Sarah Palin warns war may be necessary if Russia invades another country.”

But the transcript showed that she was merely repeating Mr. McCain’s position and had not used provocative language. And we’re wondering if the McCain camp is reconsidering its selection of ABC, since it hyped the teaser to sound like Ms. Palin was ready to press the button.

Anyway, she said that she believes, as Mr. McCain does, that Ukraine and Georgia should be admitted to NATO. Mr. Gibson then asked: “And under the NATO treaty, wouldn’t we then have to go to war if Russia went into Georgia?”

“Perhaps so,” Ms. Palin responded. “I mean, that is the agreement when you are a NATO ally, is if another country is attacked, you’re going to be expected to be called upon and help.”

A moment later, Mr. Gibson asked: “And you think it would be worth it to the United States, Georgia is worth it to the United States to go to war if Russia were to invade?”

She responded: “What I think is that smaller democratic countries that are invaded by a larger power is something for us to be vigilant against

We have got to be cognizant of what the consequences are if a larger power is able to take over smaller democratic countries.

And we have got to be vigilant. We have got to show the support, in this case, for Georgia. The support that we can show is economic sanctions perhaps against Russia, if this is what it leads to.”

Update: Well, Ms. Palin just finished her 10-minute segment on the evening news. She appeared extremely rehearsed, especially when she repeated three times that she did not want to “second guess” Israel.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/palin-interview-she-didnt-blink-when-asked-to-run/?hp

PoliCon
09-12-2008, 05:50 PM
They should have let Brit Hume do the interview.