PDA

View Full Version : High School Reunions

djones520
11-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Just got notified about my 10 year reunion.

I'm looking through the list of people who said they'd be there, and I don't even recognize half of them. There is only 2 people in my class that I even talk to anymore, and I really wouldn't even call them friends.

Almost all of my friends where in the class above me, or below.

I'm planning on going, but I'm not really sure why.

Anyone else have akward reunion experiences?

marv
11-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Yeah! Paseo High School (http://paseo1956.com/) 50 year reunion. I was on the organizing committee.

http://paseo1956.com/images/internal/committee.jpg

That's me in the black crewneck....

Not worth the time, expense or effort. All I found were some 68 and 69 year old high school kids.........DUH!

Zathras
11-27-2011, 11:19 PM
The only reunion I've ever gone to was my 10th back in 1987. Nobody I knew was there and I ended up leaving after about an hour.

Starbuck
11-28-2011, 12:13 AM
I only recently made the final decision not to attend my 50th. Leaving home at a young age and staying gone was a very good decision for me. The only reason - the real reason - I would have attended would be to show a few people how successful I had become. And that's a pretty lousy reason.

djones520
11-28-2011, 12:18 AM
I only recently made the final decision not to attend my 50th. Leaving home at a young age and staying gone was a very good decision for me. The only reason - the real reason - I would have attended would be to show a few people how successful I had become. And that's a pretty lousy reason.

Isn't that the only reason people go to these things? :D

SaintLouieWoman
11-28-2011, 01:05 AM
I've been to one about 15 years ago. I hated it; everyone was still in their same silly little cliques. It was soooo boring. You would have thought by that time folks wouldn't have the insane need to show off. I've never been to another one. At least I have a good excuse to not go now---too far to return to St Louis from Florida vs I just plain don't want to see any of them. I never kept up with any of them. I had a lot more fun in college, but come to think of it, never went to a college reunion either. :D

djones520
11-28-2011, 01:51 AM
I was lucky in the regards that I never belonged to a single clique. I kinda floated between them all. But it led to the side effect of having no real friends, as I mentioned up above.

There are a few that I'm hoping to see. Probably would have enjoyed seeing more if I was still single. :D

noonwitch
11-28-2011, 10:46 AM
I went to my 20 year reunion in 2002. I didn't have a lot of fun. I was a lot heavier than I am today (and in high school), and my sister was really sick that weekend.

My 30 year reunion is next fall. I'm going to go, and get a pretty new dress to wear. I look so much better than at the last one.

nightflight
11-28-2011, 01:34 PM
I went to my 25th about a month ago. I had the best time; a beautiful day in Savannah, and a great night at the Hilton! I was glad to see everyone.

Starbuck
11-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Isn't that the only reason people go to these things? :D

Pretty much. And that's why so many people come away disappointed. If everyone had the same motive, which is to put their success on display, then who is going to care about your success? No one.

For me, it was a great exercise in introspection. I mean, I sat down and asked myself why I really want to go, and the answer wasn't very pleasant. I wanted to go so that I could stick it all in "their" faces. And that, I confess, was pretty small of me.

If my actual motive - the one I think about most of the time - would have been 'to connect with long lost friends' then I could see where I would have a great time. But that wasn't my real motive.

I'm glad I had that little talk with myself.:)

Hawkgirl
11-28-2011, 07:08 PM
My 25 year high school reunion is coming up next year, but since I don't live in NY anymore, I don't plan on going. I've recently reunited with many of my friends through facebook....which is nice...but that's about it.

RobJohnson
11-29-2011, 02:42 AM
I was going to go to a reuinon. I bought my plane ticket, and I was off to Illinois... When I landed I found out about a wedding...this was last summer.

I had a last minute change of plans and went to a very nice outdoor wedding in Iowa. There were several long time friends there that I had not seen in a long time. My arrival was unplanned. The groom was shocked to see me, it had been a few years.

Some people are still pissed that I missed that reuinon....lol

Odysseus
11-29-2011, 03:58 PM
My 25 year high school reunion is coming up next year, but since I don't live in NY anymore, I don't plan on going. I've recently reunited with many of my friends through facebook....which is nice...but that's about it.

I went to High School in NYC, but was in Iraq for the 25th and FT Hood for the 30th. I might go to the 35th, but only if it's not too much hassle.

noonwitch
11-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I went to High School in NYC, but was in Iraq for the 25th and FT Hood for the 30th. I might go to the 35th, but only if it's not too much hassle.

One of the main reasons I'm going to my 30th is to see my best friend from high school, who was unable to attend previous reunions because she was active duty in the Navy. She retired from the service a couple of years ago, so will hopefully be attending this one.