PDA

View Full Version : Iran: We'll fire 150,000 missiles at Israel if attacked

Rockntractor
11-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Defense minister Vahidi tells army volunteers 'Israel has to be punished for what it has done to the Muslims in Palestine'
ranian Defense Minister General Ahmad Vahidi said Israel would be attacked with 150,000 missiles if it launches any military action against the Islamic Republic, the Iran Independent News Service reported Sunday.
Speaking before 50,000 army volunteers in Bushehr, the minister said "Iran is not Iraq or Afghanistan, if the Americans make the mistake and attack Iran, we will show them how to fight,” adding “Israel has to be punished for what it has done to the Muslims in Palestine and Lebanon."

However, according to Iranian news outlets Vahidi did not specify if the missiles would be fired from Iran or other locations.

On Saturday a senior commander of Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard said the country would target NATO's missile defense shield in Turkey if the US or Israel attacks the Islamic Republic.

Gen. Amir Ali Hajizadeh, head of the Guards' aerospace division, was quoted by the semi-official Mehr news agency as saying the warning is part of a new defense strategy to counter what it sees as an increase in threats from the US and Israel.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4153840,00.html

djones520
11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
You know, if I was going to throw out a number that was such an obvious lie about my capabilities, I'd just say 150,000,000. It's a lot more entertaining.

Witmaster
11-28-2011, 05:55 AM
I'll see your "150,000" scuds and raise you 150 Cruise Missles.

My money is on us. every time.

Odysseus
11-28-2011, 08:35 AM
You know, if I was going to throw out a number that was such an obvious lie about my capabilities, I'd just say 150,000,000. It's a lot more entertaining.
The number is hyperbole, but the threat is real.

I'll see your "150,000" scuds and raise you 150 Cruise Missles.

My money is on us. every time.

It all depends on who makes that decision. I'd bet even money that in the event of a WMD attack on Israel, Obama would do nothing. The NATO allies are hamstrung by their Muslim populations and even without them, most of them would have no problem with a genocidal war against Jews, having actively collaborated in the last one.

And, Iran has gone far beyond Scuds. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/nuke/RS22758.pdf:

In
February 2008, Iran reportedly launched a low-orbit research rocket in preparation for a later
satellite launch. The Bush White House called that launch “unfortunate.” In August 2008, Iran
said it successfully launched a rocket that could carry its first satellite, but U.S. defense officials
said the test aimed failed shortly after launch. In early February 2009, Iran successfully launched
its Omid (Hope) satellite on a Safir-2 (or Ambassador-2) rocket , which has a range of about 155
miles. A Pentagon spokesman said this launch was “clearly a concern of ours” because “there are
dual-use capabilities here which could be applied toward the development of long-range
missiles.”

noonwitch
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM

It all depends on who makes that decision. I'd bet even money that in the event of a WMD attack on Israel, Obama would do nothing. The NATO allies are hamstrung by their Muslim populations and even without them, most of them would have no problem with a genocidal war against Jews, having actively collaborated in the last one.

And, Iran has gone far beyond Scuds. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/nuke/RS22758.pdf:

In
February 2008, Iran reportedly launched a low-orbit research rocket in preparation for a later
satellite launch. The Bush White House called that launch “unfortunate.” In August 2008, Iran
said it successfully launched a rocket that could carry its first satellite, but U.S. defense officials
said the test aimed failed shortly after launch. In early February 2009, Iran successfully launched
its Omid (Hope) satellite on a Safir-2 (or Ambassador-2) rocket , which has a range of about 155
miles. A Pentagon spokesman said this launch was “clearly a concern of ours” because “there are
dual-use capabilities here which could be applied toward the development of long-range
missiles.”

Although I know little about technology, this (155 mile range) seems like a serious risk factor for Iran's immediate neighbors more than it is to Israel. Which means, a threat to our military personnel in Iraq and Afganistan.

When a crazy man like Iran's leader says repeatedly that he is going to destroy Israel, no one should really be surprised when he tries to do so. Like Hitler-he laid out all of his plans in Mein Kampf, long before anyone took him seriously.

Molon Labe
11-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Let's assume for a second it is.

The Iranians either target Israel with their version of "Missile Command" an thousands of missile strikes or Nuke them into oblivion.

What happens to all those Palestinians they supposedly want to have their land back?

DumbAss Tanker
11-28-2011, 12:07 PM
As far as 'Missiles' goes, they might have more like 150 that would have some chance of getting near to Israel. About everything else they have with a rocket motor falls into the 'Free rocket' category, i.e. it's mostly unguided tactical weapons, artillery rockets - the stuff they have been sending to Hezbollah through Syria for firing at Israel for many years anyway. All of the ones that they haven't fired are bound to eventually be fired at Guess Who anyway, IMHO, whether the Israelis attack Iran or not. There certainly is a shitload of those rockets, many thousands to be sure, but just how many thousands is an open question.

Odysseus
11-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Although I know little about technology, this (155 mile range) seems like a serious risk factor for Iran's immediate neighbors more than it is to Israel. Which means, a threat to our military personnel in Iraq and Afganistan.

When a crazy man like Iran's leader says repeatedly that he is going to destroy Israel, no one should really be surprised when he tries to do so. Like Hitler-he laid out all of his plans in Mein Kampf, long before anyone took him seriously.
The lesson of the Holocaust is that when dictators promise murder, they mean it. We pretend otherwise because taking action carries risks that we wish to avoid, but the risks of inaction are far greater.

The Iranians either target Israel with their version of "Missile Command" an thousands of missile strikes or Nuke them into oblivion.

What happens to all those Palestinians they supposedly want to have their land back?
They die in their squalid camps. Notice that no Arab country has ever permitted them to settle, even Jordan, which meets every possible definition of a Palestinian state. To the Sunni Arabs, they were always pawns in their war on Israel.

To the Shiite Persian mullahs of Iran, who consider Sunnis to be apostates, and Arabs to be nomadic desert barbarians, they are less than that. The various European powers make the same noises that the Arabs do, because they want oil, and don't particularly care what happens any Arabs, much less what happens to six million Jews in Israel (as their actions when the previous six million in Europe were killed should amply demonstrate). The only people who care about the lives of the Palestinians are the Israelis who feed, clothe and house them and the United States, which keeps pressuring Israel to make concessions to a people that want nothing but death, preferably of Jews and westerners, but their own if no one else is available.

As far as 'Missiles' goes, they might have more like 150 that would have some chance of getting near to Israel. About everything else they have with a rocket motor falls into the 'Free rocket' category, i.e. it's mostly unguided tactical weapons, artillery rockets - the stuff they have been sending to Hezbollah through Syria for firing at Israel for many years anyway. All of the ones that they haven't fired are bound to eventually be fired at Guess Who anyway, IMHO, whether the Israelis attack Iran or not. There certainly is a shitload of those rockets, many thousands to be sure, but just how many thousands is an open question.

In terms of rockets, I've seen estimates in the 9-10 thousand range, but as you said, they are short range rockets. The issue with the range of Iran's launch platform is that it can put a payload into orbit. An orbital payload can be directed to strike targets anywhere in the world. The 155-mile range for the initial launch platform is just the first stage of the weapon system.

Lanie
11-28-2011, 02:26 PM

That's the thing. The middle east don't really care that much about the Palestinians. They care that Palestinians are coming on their land for refuge, but I don't think that they care that much about the Palestinians. I think a lot of them also believe they're supposed to fight for land that used to be Muslim land. I think Iran leadership should be taken seriously just because they're nuts. I did believe that Israel should do its own fighting since we already give them enough aid. I think they need our resources though for finding out where missles are at. If we fire, we need to make sure we can destroy most or all of the missle sites.

djones520
11-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Palestinians are Arabs. Iranians are Persian. They won't give a damn.

Starbuck
11-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Should have read:

.......Iranian Defense Minister General Ahmad Vahidi said Israel would be attacked with 150,000 missiles in hopes that one of them will reach Israel......:)

Articulate_Ape
11-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Iran: We'll fire 150,000 missiles at Israel if attacked

Then Israel will fight in the shade.

Molon Labe
11-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Palestinians are Arabs. Iranians are Persian. They won't give a damn.

Good points.

I guess the Iranians will care when Israel launches one or several of it's Nukes at any number of populated regions in Iran.

DumbAss Tanker
11-28-2011, 04:45 PM
An orbital payload can be directed to strike targets anywhere in the world. The 155-mile range for the initial launch platform is just the first stage of the weapon system.

"It can be directed to" is the operative phrase there. Where it really lands, after taking into account Persian engineering and Israeli computer hacking and viruses, is a much more wide-open question.

:popcorn:

Odysseus
11-28-2011, 05:43 PM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

How did Molon Labe miss that?

Good points.

I guess the Iranians will care when Israel launches one or several of it's Nukes at any number of populated regions in Iran.
The Iranian people, yes. The mullahs, not so much. Much of this is posturing because they want an attack that will allow them to crack down on the opposition in the run up to the next election. But, they also are serious about nuking Israel if the opportunity arises (and they are spending hundreds of millions of dollars to ensure that it does).

"It can be directed to" is the operative phrase there. Where it really lands, after taking into account Persian engineering and Israeli computer hacking and viruses, is a much more wide-open question.

:popcorn:

Yes, but even a near miss with a nuke can ruin your whole day.

DumbAss Tanker
11-28-2011, 06:57 PM

Therein lies the entire problem with Israel actually using any of its nukes on its neighborhood thugs. A hit on the target is still a near miss for Israel...particularly if fired in an extremity of circumstance rather than in a carefully planned shot with the luxury of being able to await ideal meteorological conditions for downwind effects. Like Mutually Assured Destruction, nukes in such a situation make a much better threat than they do an actual weapon.

And I would not be at all surprised to find out that the programmed deceleration burn for an Iranian orbital weapon aimed at Tel Aviv would actually deliver a very surprising package to Tehran...surprising to the Iranians, anyway.

Rockntractor
11-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Perhaps Israel could fire a dummy missile which would cause Iran to fire their 150,000 missiles which would fall short of Israel and all over the Arabs in between Israel and Iran. Any that come further could be shot down with patriots.

Wei Wu Wei
11-28-2011, 07:15 PM

lol

Rockntractor
11-28-2011, 07:18 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/rdin429l.jpg

Rockntractor
11-28-2011, 07:19 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Iraqi-Scud-Missile-Launcher-1-742214.gif

Wei Wu Wei
11-28-2011, 07:20 PM
I imagine any country would defend itself if they were attacked first by a foreign power. When Israel is attacked they rain hell down on their neighbors.

The last time the US has a major attack resulted in the invasion of multiple countries and upwards of a million deaths.

When the US was attacked in Pearl Harbor, we brought the fight to Japan, brought their empire to it's knees, and became the only nation in all of human history to use atomic weapons on people.

We don't fuck around, Israel doesn't fuck around, Russia wouldn't fuck around and neither would China or any other country worth their salt. There's no doubt that if Iran were attacked, they'd fight back. Of course, that wouldn't be a winning fight for Iran.

In fact, that's exactly why Iran wouldn't strike first. These people have been around for thousands of years, they aren't going to attack a nation that has hundreds of nuclear weapons. If Iran nuked Israel, Iran would be wiped off the face of the Earth in a matter of hours. The Iranian people are a people who know how to last, they've been around for a long time, they aren't going to throw it all away for nothing.

They would gain nothing at all from attacking Israel, and lose everything, it's stupid.

Bongo55
11-28-2011, 08:37 PM
In fact, that's exactly why Iran wouldn't strike first. These people have been around for thousands of years, they aren't going to attack a nation that has hundreds of nuclear weapons. If Iran nuked Israel, Iran would be wiped off the face of the Earth in a matter of hours. The Iranian people are a people who know how to last, they've been around for a long time, they aren't going to throw it all away for nothing.

They would gain nothing at all from attacking Israel, and lose everything, it's stupid.

Bullshit, they would gain everything they desire. the current leadership any way, and probably allot of citizens as well. They have a serious hard on for the end of days, and believe that when the world is in utter chaos their savior (the Mahdi) will appear. Ask yourself what kind of crap has iran been doing since 1979? Sowing chaos almost always through 3rd parties.

I think if we had to kick the shit out of a country for 9-11, that may or may not of had anything to do with the attack, I wish iran would of won that asshole lottery. Iraq was in a box they were not as much threat. I also think the local population would have been better able to take advantage of liberty.... well our version of it anyway.

Odysseus
11-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Therein lies the entire problem with Israel actually using any of its nukes on its neighborhood thugs. A hit on the target is still a near miss for Israel...particularly if fired in an extremity of circumstance rather than in a carefully planned shot with the luxury of being able to await ideal meteorological conditions for downwind effects. Like Mutually Assured Destruction, nukes in such a situation make a much better threat than they do an actual weapon.

And I would not be at all surprised to find out that the programmed deceleration burn for an Iranian orbital weapon aimed at Tel Aviv would actually deliver a very surprising package to Tehran...surprising to the Iranians, anyway.
It all works out when the Twelfth Imam shows up.

I imagine any country would defend itself if they were attacked first by a foreign power. When Israel is attacked they rain hell down on their neighbors.
If Israel rained hell on its neighbors, then there wouldn't be any neighbors. The Palestinians continue to breathe because Israel has shown more restraint than any other nation in history in the face of unbelievable provocations.

The last time the US has a major attack resulted in the invasion of multiple countries and upwards of a million deaths.
A million deaths? Seriously? :rolleyes:

When the US was attacked in Pearl Harbor, we brought the fight to Japan, brought their empire to it's knees, and became the only nation in all of human history to use atomic weapons on people.
Also the last nation to do so. And let's remember that it was Japan that attacked us, and Japan that was targeted. So far, Iran has threatened Israel, the US and Turkey with direct attacks, and has already attempted to murder the Saudi ambassador to the US in the US, through a VBIED that would have killed hundreds of non-combatants in the middle of Washington DC if the plot had gone forward. But, keep the moral equivalence coming.

We don't fuck around, Israel doesn't fuck around, Russia wouldn't fuck around and neither would China or any other country worth their salt. There's no doubt that if Iran were attacked, they'd fight back. Of course, that wouldn't be a winning fight for Iran.
Two points. First, in the event of such a war, you'd be among the first to protest our imperialist response. Your credibility on the issue is nil.
Second, the Iranians don't care about winning the war. They care about initiating a conflagration that will engulf the world and pave the way for the return of the Twelfth Imam. They are convinced that they are in their end times, and that Allah demands that they start the war.

You're wrong. The Iranians believe that Israel cannot retaliate if it is obliterated, and that a first strike by Iran will accomplish that. Second, the believe that they have the obligation to initiate the final conflict that Shia Islam demands before the Mahdi, or Twelfth Imam, returns to bring true Islam to the world. Third, the Persian people have been around for thousands of years, but no generation lasts more than a lifetime. The current mullahs are old men who have nothing to lose, with a tenuous hold on their nation, and a firm belief that they can enter paradise by killing the enemies of Allah. They don't see the world the way that you do, and until you understand their mindset, you are playing into their hands.

Lanie
11-29-2011, 12:26 AM
Perhaps Israel could fire a dummy missile which would cause Iran to fire their 150,000 missiles which would fall short of Israel and all over the Arabs in between Israel and Iran. Any that come further could be shot down with patriots.

You're nice.

Rockntractor
11-29-2011, 01:08 AM
You're nice.

Thanks!:)

Molon Labe
12-01-2011, 10:36 AM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

How did Molon Labe miss that?

The Iranian people, yes. The mullahs, not so much. Much of this is posturing because they want an attack that will allow them to crack down on the opposition in the run up to the next election. But, they also are serious about nuking Israel if the opportunity arises (and they are spending hundreds of millions of dollars to ensure that it does).

Don't know......but it's a great line from the film.

No one is serious about nuking anyone. Israel has all the nukes and Iran even if they get one has no way of delivering it.

Iran is backed by Russia and Israel by the U.S.

It is a strategic blunder to do anything like this. The evidence of the Soviets and the NORKs is enough historical precedent that Nationstates with nukes don't tend to attack anyone or get attacked.

Odysseus
12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Don't know......but it's a great line from the film.

No one is serious about nuking anyone. Israel has all the nukes and Iran even if they get one has no way of delivering it.

Iran is backed by Russia and Israel by the U.S.

It is a strategic blunder to do anything like this. The evidence of the Soviets and the NORKs is enough historical precedent that Nationstates with nukes don't tend to attack anyone or get attacked.

Russia's foreign policy is partially based on their anger at having been reduced in status from our primary adversary to one among many, and not the most dangerous, so they continue to play games to embarrass or weaken us, even when it is not in their longterm interests. The Russians don't actually want a nuclear-armed Iran on their borders, but until the Iranians actually have them, Putin will continue to support them as a means of tweaking the US. You'll know that Iran has a deliverable bomb when the Russians stop using them as a proxy to mess with us and start treating them as a threat.

But, if Iran did have nukes, the mullahs would certainly use them. They really do want to bring about the return of the Mahdi. They aren't kidding when they talk about that, and we need to learn that they really are religious fanatics.

noonwitch
12-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Russia's foreign policy is partially based on their anger at having been reduced in status from our primary adversary to one among many, and not the most dangerous, so they continue to play games to embarrass or weaken us, even when it is not in their longterm interests. The Russians don't actually want a nuclear-armed Iran on their borders, but until the Iranians actually have them, Putin will continue to support them as a means of tweaking the US. You'll know that Iran has a deliverable bomb when the Russians stop using them as a proxy to mess with us and start treating them as a threat.

But, if Iran did have nukes, the mullahs would certainly use them. They really do want to bring about the return of the Mahdi. They aren't kidding when they talk about that, and we need to learn that they really are religious fanatics.

Interesting points, in light of the explosion at the Iranian nuke facility a couple of weeks ago. It makes me wonder if the Russians have been supplying them with faulty nuclear equipment as a tactic to prevent Iran from actually developing a functioning nuclear weapon.

Molon Labe
12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Russia's foreign policy is partially based on their anger at having been reduced in status from our primary adversary to one among many,and not the most dangerous, so they continue to play games to embarrass or weaken us, even when it is not in their longterm interests.

That is entirely speculation. You're entitled to that. Unfortunately in policy making, one has to make assessments of vulnerabiity analysis based on evidence of historical fact to assess a security dilemma.
Assumptions are fine in military decison making. Not here.

If the Russian's were truly a major threat to us then there wouldn't have been a complete overhaul of Cold war doctrine to COINTELPRO and reworking of the whole doctrine to Full Spectrum in the last 10 years.

The Russians don't actually want a nuclear-armed Iran on their borders, but until the Iranians actually have them, Putin will continue to support them as a means of tweaking the US. You'll know that Iran has a deliverable bomb when the Russians stop using them as a proxy to mess with us and start treating them as a threat.

That's debatable. Who says they don't? Aren't the Russian's and Iranians natural Allies? That would presume that Russia does no see them as a threat. Haven't they supplied most of the Nuclear experts in Iran to get it's program up and running? If they do percieve us as a threat, then having a nuclear armed Iran makes sense.

I have read extensively that the Russian postion on a nuclear armed Iran is still up in the air as to whether they do or do not want them to have them....., and there is much to suggest that if the Russains do wish to keep Iran a Non nuclear prolif. state, they have stated in no uncertain terms that they want it to be done by diplomatic means only.

A stregic blunder would Israel have on it's hands if it miscaculated this. I doubt they will do so.

You perceive the Mullah's as more wacko then the NORKs. NK is more a dictatorship with one hand on the button than Iran...or Pakistan, who's IS nuclear.....

I've never said I don't believe extremist Islam is not a problem.....but I don't think Islam is as dangerous currently as the NORKS and Pakistan who are presently worse governments and presently Nuclear.
And then....I'm not too scared of them either.

You seem to see Iranian Mullahs as Mola Ram and the Thuggees from Temple of Doom....I do not.

Molon Labe
12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Interesting points, in light of the explosion at the Iranian nuke facility a couple of weeks ago. It makes me wonder if the Russians have been supplying them with faulty nuclear equipment as a tactic to prevent Iran from actually developing a functioning nuclear weapon.

Oh and one yesteday too. I doubt it's the Russians though.

Wonder what that might be? :rolleyes:

Hint: cia operatives recently captured?

Arroyo_Doble
12-01-2011, 02:44 PM
The evidence of the Soviets and the NORKs is enough historical precedent that Nationstates with nukes don't tend to attack anyone or get attacked.

The Iraqi Axiom: The best way to prevent invasion and occupation is to actually have weapons of mass destruction.

Molon Labe
12-01-2011, 04:44 PM
The Iraqi Axiom: The best way to prevent invasion and occupation is to actually have weapons of mass destruction.

Yes. It was a staple of my studies in college in International Relations. It was an Axiom long before Iraq.

Iraq and Libya are simply case studies of this.