PDA

View Full Version : New Addition to Da Empire...

SarasotaRepub
12-03-2011, 06:45 PM
:D

Meet Bella Blue...

http://joeysgreyhoundfriends.org/uploadedimages/adoptables.html.145.picture4.jpg

http://joeysgreyhoundfriends.org/uploadedimages/adoptables.html.145.picture1.jpg

http://joeysgreyhoundfriends.org/uploadedimages/adoptables.html.145.picture2.jpg

This stunning "Blue" girl will be joining SLW and me next Thursday. :D

She is 2 1/2 years old and a real looker of a Greyhound. We got her from an adoption group down in Ft. Myers.

We would have liked to bring her home today but paperwork...:mad::D

marv
12-03-2011, 07:22 PM
She's a doll...........congrats! http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/avatars/dog.gif

SarasotaRepub
12-03-2011, 08:07 PM
She's a doll...........congrats! http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/avatars/dog.gif

Darlene our other Grey liked Bella too, they got along nicely. It was of course important that Darlene got along with her. :D

Darlene will have to show Bella the ropes next week.

Rockntractor
12-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Good lookin' hound, but can she hunt?:)

SarasotaRepub
12-03-2011, 08:21 PM

Can't say for certain but she'll have some treerats to go after when she gets here.:D

SaintLouieWoman
12-04-2011, 02:01 PM
She's like our Darlene, not guaranteed cat-safe. I figured she had a strong prey drive when I watched her checking out 2 small dogs that were heading to the Petco near where they were having the Meet N Greet. Her ears pricked up and she really followed their progress with too much interest.

I've always been the one who rescued the non-catsafe hounds, since I've never had cats. She is good with kids, and that's what's important to us as can't have a dog who isn't safe when the two little ones come visiting (next year sometime).

She's a little smaller than Darlene and a very sweet pooch. She's so beautiful that she was attracting a lot of interest from potential adopters. We were lucky to get her.

bijou
12-04-2011, 02:36 PM
She's lovely. :)

Rockntractor
12-04-2011, 04:04 PM
She's like our Darlene, not guaranteed cat-safe. I figured she had a strong prey drive when I watched her checking out 2 small dogs that were heading to the Petco near where they were having the Meet N Greet. Her ears pricked up and she really followed their progress with too much interest.

I've always been the one who rescued the non-catsafe hounds, since I've never had cats. She is good with kids, and that's what's important to us as can't have a dog who isn't safe when the two little ones come visiting (next year sometime).

She's a little smaller than Darlene and a very sweet pooch. She's so beautiful that she was attracting a lot of interest from potential adopters. We were lucky to get her.

Cats are loaded with valuable nutrients!:D

Novaheart
12-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Handsome dog.

Hawkgirl
12-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Congrats! She is beautiful. I'm sure Darlene will be very happy to have a new friend around.

I came very close to adopting this weekend. I was at a local holiday party and the rescue group I adopted my cats from were there having an adoption event. My eyes locked on a shephard/basset hound mix. She had the face of a german shephard, but the body of a basset hound....I walked her, played with her a bit, I said I would think about it and went on to the holiday party. When I returned, I still hadn't made up my mind..but she found a home, so the decision was made for me. So happy that she got adopted, she was only 4 months old.

Kay
12-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Nice! I'm glad you are giving Bella Blue a good home. :)

SaintLouieWoman
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Congrats! She is beautiful. I'm sure Darlene will be very happy to have a new friend around.

I came very close to adopting this weekend. I was at a local holiday party and the rescue group I adopted my cats from were there having an adoption event. My eyes locked on a shephard/basset hound mix. She had the face of a german shephard, but the body of a basset hound....I walked her, played with her a bit, I said I would think about it and went on to the holiday party. When I returned, I still hadn't made up my mind..but she found a home, so the decision was made for me. So happy that she got adopted, she was only 4 months old.

The dog that initially attracted our attention on the website, Max, was a gorgeous fawn male. I talked to the head of the group tonight and she said that his adoption went through. He had been on trial. Bella is such a little sweetie, though, that I know she'll be fine.

We checked the website of the local shelter, but all the dogs were pit mixes. I was afraid to take a chance as Darlene is a very gentle dog and didn't want her attacked. We had been looking at various weimeriner (sp) mixes. Darned, always have trouble spelling the name. When push came to shove, we realized that we really love the greyhound breed.

We thought that maybe a mixed breed would be healthier. We're crossing our fingers that all goes well.

A woman who was head of the rescue group where we got our first greyhound told me something that has always stuck with me over the years. I was upset that a dog that I wanted to adopt was taken. She told me that sadly there's always a long line of pups that need homes and there would always be another one. I'm sure you'll find the ideal pet for your little girl and you.

Tipsycatlover
12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Bella is just gorgeous. She looks filled with love.

SaintLouieWoman
12-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Bella is just gorgeous. She looks filled with love.

Thanks, she's a sweetie. She's arriving a bit early, tomorrow morning. I'm searching the house for some extra dog toys to contribute for the dogs still up for adoption. I've found a really cute collar and another collar/leash combo to donate. They can use some of those things for fundraisers. The expenses are high to rescue those poor dogs off the track.

There was an article on Grey2K that SR didn't want me to post. It gave some grim, graphic details about how the greys are treated here in Florida. The pics of starving dogs were hard to view.

Somehow I just couldn't get another breed, although every dog rescued is a plus. There's something about the greys' pointy little faces and big, beautiful, expressive eyes that I love. Other dogs are wonderful, but the greys have my heart.

marv
12-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks, she's a sweetie. She's arriving a bit early, tomorrow morning. I'm searching the house for some extra dog toys to contribute for the dogs still up for adoption....and today is THE BIG DAY!

We need some homecoming pics, SLW ...........http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/images/smilies/smile.gif

SaintLouieWoman
12-08-2011, 07:00 PM
...and today is THE BIG DAY!

We need some homecoming pics, SLW ...........:)

I took some. SR will post them shortly. He's been getting the board back on line, dealing with the company that hosts the server.

I'll give a little quick update. Bella Blue is acting as if she's lived here forever. It's such a joy to see her nose through all the toy baskets. It was such a shame to have all those doggie toys sitting untouched in the baskets.

Blue, the pooch in my avatar, was a play baby until the very end at 12 years old. He'd flip around the toys and loved playing with a tennis ball. Xena used to play with toys according to SR when he first got her. But she had stopped playing with them some time ago. Darlene on occasion will play with the toys, but since Blue and Xena are gone, she's just been moping around.

Now this place is full of life. Yay! Bella dragged out every toy from the little basket in the computer room. She's dragging toys from room to room, flipping them in the air. Even Darlene is playing with the toys now (perhaps a tad of jealousy).

The girls were napping together on the carpet in the computer room most of the afternoon. They were right next to each other. I tried to take a pic of Bella with her head on Darlene, but naturally she moved as I tried getting the pic.

The two greys are together almost all the time, following each other from room to room. We've had so many horrible things happen to us lately, this is a blessing.

That group in Ft Myers, Joey's Greyhound Friends, is one of the kindest I've seen in about 15 years of greyhound rescue. I'm so very happy that the physical therapist recommended them. It definitely was worth the drive to Ft Myers.

Hawkgirl
12-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Is she housetrained already? Do you crate?

SarasotaRepub
12-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Is she housetrained already? Do you crate?

She's all trained and no, we don't crate them! Here are some new pics, I'll get some better ones tomorrow! :D

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/371fec04.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/407e323d.jpg

Hawkgirl
12-08-2011, 07:19 PM
So cute! I thought carpet wasn't advisable with dogs??

I want one!!!

SaintLouieWoman
12-08-2011, 07:22 PM
It's funny, Darlene will jump up on the beds but never the couches. Some couch potato. :D

So far Bella hasn't gotten up on anything. Well actually she puts her front two paws on the bed, but won't jump up. Her foster mom said that that's what she did at her house, too.

We were so lucky to get a pooch that had been fostered for a month. She's already trained to not jump into the pool. Usually greys just off the track have no experience with much of anything other than being in a crate and in a dirt run. The beauty of adopting from a group that has fosters is much of the heavy lifting has already been done.

God bless the foster doggie parents of the world. I fostered one greyhound and flunked fostering 101----kept Jackson.

Bella has been so good. She went to the slider right away and let us know that she had to go out.

She didn't finish her dinner, but later went to the chair (subsituted for an elevated feeder) and sniffed it. As soon as we returned her food, she ate. She's a very bright dog.

Bella already follows SR everywhere.

SaintLouieWoman
12-08-2011, 07:26 PM
So cute! I thought carpet wasn't advisable with dogs??

I want one!!!

Our carpet will be going soon once we make up our mind on what we want and save enough for the 3 rooms. We have hardwood (well, a good grade of engineered wood, which I've heard is better in Florida) in the hall, living room, family room, breakfast room, dining room and kitchen. The 3 bedrooms are carpeted.

The carpet looked OK when we moved in, but within a week after closing on the house the darned spots cropped up (not from our dogs, but from their's). We had the carpet cleaned in July, but those same spots came back up.

I guess this is a good time to get Bella, so in case she has a few accidents, nothing is lost with that crummy carpet. I already bought a small area rug from Crate & Barrel that was on sale to put in our master bedroom. We're hoping to find some of the light oak flooring similar to what's in the other rooms. I'm looking to get something else for the other 2 rooms, translated less expensive.

Hawkgirl
12-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I have tile on the first floor, and carpet upstairs(the bedrooms).

If I get a dog, I was thinking of using the study as it's room, but it's carpeted. I dont' like the idea of a crate, so I figure it could hang out in there, it has a comfy couch and a tv. I could leave the tv on for it while I'm away. If it has an accident, it's okay because I plan on getting hardwood installed next year on the 2nd floor.
My big worry is being out of the house for 10 hours. Maybe I should get a young adult dog that is already trained instead of a puppy.

Greyhounds are beautiful...but they do have a high sight prey drive...so no good for the felines..

SaintLouieWoman
12-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I have tile on the first floor, and carpet upstairs(the bedrooms).

If I get a dog, I was thinking of using the study as it's room, but it's carpeted. I dont' like the idea of a crate, so I figure it could hang out in there, it has a comfy couch and a tv. I could leave the tv on for it while I'm away. If it has an accident, it's okay because I plan on getting hardwood installed next year on the 2nd floor.
My big worry is being out of the house for 10 hours. Maybe I should get a young adult dog that is already trained instead of a puppy.

Greyhounds are beautiful...but they do have a high sight prey drive...so no good for the felines..

Xena was good with cats, many are. They have to be cat tested. Darlene is not cat safe, and I doubt that Bella is. Both seem too curious about smaller animals.

I've always had non-catsafe greys, as I figured that it's best to save the cat-safe ones for people who have kitties. I've seen pics of many of the greys snoozing with cats.

I think a younger dog or a much older dog would have problems going 10 hours. Some friends of mine in an online greyhound group are going through problems with their older dogs, since the owners are away for 10 hours at a time.

No matter which breed, I guess the ideal would be if a neighbor and/or friend that's trustworthy could let the dog out somewhere in the middle of the day (or middle of your shift, not sure if you get the night shift duty at the hospital).

Before SR and I were married, I had Blue and Darlene and would go home on my lunch hour from work. It was about 10 miles each way, but I was in sales, so fortunately could schedule my appointments around letting the pooches out.

Hawkgirl
12-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I work evenings. A coworker, who has a great dane/pitbull mix, leaves his dog home alone for 12+ hours because he works 12's. He says the dog is trained to wait for him, he was crated till he was 9 months of age though. He says the dog mostly sleeps when he's away and has the run of the house.

I would be with the dog morning and early afternoon till 1pm. Then it would be taken out at 11:30pm when I get home (back yard, not walk as I wouldn't want to walk that late at night).
He'd get a daily walk in the morning and would have weekends together.

I don't have the option of coming home as my commute is too long:(

SaintLouieWoman
12-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I work evenings. A coworker, who has a great dane/pitbull mix, leaves his dog home alone for 12+ hours because he works 12's. He says the dog is trained to wait for him, he was crated till he was 9 months of age though. He says the dog mostly sleeps when he's away and has the run of the house.

I would be with the dog morning and early afternoon till 1pm. Then it would be taken out at 11:30pm when I get home (back yard, not walk as I wouldn't want to walk that late at night).
He'd get a daily walk in the morning and would have weekends together.

I don't have the option of coming home as my commute is too long:(

Your friend's dog is impressive. Does your coworker work the night shift? That might explain how the dog probably sleeps that long.

Don't blame you for not wanting to walk late at night. It sounds like that would be a stretch. I was wondering if whoever takes care of your little one til 11:30 would be able to dogsit?

Taking in a pup would probably be tough. They're not developed enough to hold it that long, whether crated or in a room. I used to confine Darlene in my bedroom while I went to work, but SR convinced me to give her a chance. Despite a few accidents, she was fine.

SarasotaRepub
12-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Bella Pic Update!!!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/ea80d865.jpg

linda22003
12-09-2011, 11:00 AM
I love happy endings. :)

marv
12-09-2011, 11:32 AM
The pics of Bella are priceless. And there is no happier ending than with a pup that has found a home. Our Max, the ultimate poser, was a drop off from a friend who had to move and couldn't take him with him...and in the best of the Christmas season...

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii473/marv-album/Christmas.jpg

SarasotaRepub
12-09-2011, 12:19 PM
The pics of Bella are priceless. And there is no happier ending than with a pup that has found a home. Our Max, the ultimate poser, was a drop off from a friend who had to move and couldn't take him with him...and in the best of the Christmas season...

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii473/marv-album/Christmas.jpg

Max is a Keeper!!! :D

Hawkgirl
12-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Bella Pic Update!!!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/ea80d865.jpg

She is so gorgeous! So glad she found a good home!!!

Hawkgirl
12-09-2011, 06:17 PM
BTw...is that a mango tree?:D

Hawkgirl
12-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Your friend's dog is impressive. Does your coworker work the night shift? That might explain how the dog probably sleeps that long.

Don't blame you for not wanting to walk late at night. It sounds like that would be a stretch. I was wondering if whoever takes care of your little one til 11:30 would be able to dogsit?

Taking in a pup would probably be tough. They're not developed enough to hold it that long, whether crated or in a room. I used to confine Darlene in my bedroom while I went to work, but SR convinced me to give her a chance. Despite a few accidents, she was fine.

He works my shift(evenings). My parents watch my daughter and they would not be willing to help out..they've already disclosed that :(

I have decided not to use the crate, it would be in a play pen till it's a few months old...and then would have the guest room along with a comfy couch and a tv while I'm away.

Look at this gorgeous Rottie, already cat safe...her foster has kitties,and a bird...

http://i44.tinypic.com/30hr2it.jpg

Name: Kookie
Rescue ID: 1110D2588
Species: Dog
Breed: Rottweiler / Mixed
Learn more about the Rottweiler.

Sex: Female
Current Age: 3 Months 29 Days (best estimate)
Kookie's sister, Kandy (available for adoption) can also be seen on our website.

Description:

I AM A VERY SWEET BABY, I AM A LITTLE SHY. MY FOSTER MOMMY HAS KITTIES, A PIGGY AND BIRDIES AND WE ALL GET ALONG GREAT!

WON'T YOU TAKE ME HOME :-) XOXOXO

Hawkgirl
12-09-2011, 06:29 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/33p4l1h.jpg

Name: Kandy
Rescue ID: 1110D2589
Species: Dog
Breed: Rottweiler / Mixed
Learn more about the Rottweiler.

Sex: Female
Current Age: 3 Months 29 Days (best estimate)
Indoor or Outdoor: Indoor Only
Good with Dogs: Yes
Good with Cats: Yes
Microchipped: Yes
Kandy's sister, Kookie (available for adoption) can also be seen on our website.

Description:

HI I AM KANDY, BOTH ME AND MY SISTER KOOKIE ARE LOOKING FOR OUR FURREVER.

WE ARE VERY SWEET AND WE WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER :-) XOXOXO

SarasotaRepub
12-09-2011, 06:44 PM
BTw...is that a mango tree?:D

Nope, just an orange. :D

SarasotaRepub
12-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Those are cute puppers!!! :D Take both. :eek::D

Hawkgirl
12-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Those are cute puppers!!! :D Take both. :eek::D

If I had a big back yard and a dope around the house to share in the responsibilities...I'd have 2-3 dogs....but 1 will have to do for now...:D

SaintLouieWoman
12-09-2011, 11:41 PM
That pup looks very cute and sweet. The advantage of a pup is she'll grow up with your little girl, but might be a bit more difficult to housebreak. At least you'll be able to socialize the pooch the proper way.

We're just so lucky with Bella. I've never had one so well behaved from the beginning. My foster, who was just off the track, was a wild man, pumped up on steroids by his trainers. He chewed closet doors, tore off a screen, chewed furniture. It's a miracle (actually a tribute to my loving greyhounds and putting up with way too much) that I kept him. Someone actually wanted to adopt Jackson, but I couldn't let him go. He turned out to be a very good dog, but he was a trial.

Darlene always was good, just got into a few things initially. But she was easy. I've had a total of 7 greyhounds (not all at one time), and Bella is the easiest. She has just enough playfulness in her that she's not quite perfect, but almost perfect.

We left her alone for a few hours this afternoon, as we had a doc appointment. She was perfect.

ABC in Georgia
12-10-2011, 03:07 PM
If I had a big back yard and a dope around the house to share in the responsibilities...I'd have 2-3 dogs....but 1 will have to do for now...:D

My two cents worth ~

"Dope to help around the house or not" (funny girl!) ... to crate or not to crate, evening shift or no evening shift, one, two, or three dogs ... the main thing you need to consider is if the puppy is housebroken or not.

Yes, puppies are adorable (created that way on purpose, don'tcha know? :)) ... but with no one home full-time to train it to do his business OUTSIDE, you will have no end of regrets!

Puppies really are like children, in that they need constant guidance and discipline, not just affection and fun times.

My opinion, anyway, for what it's worth to you.

~ ABC

SaintLouieWoman
12-10-2011, 03:57 PM
My two cents worth ~

"Dope to help around the house or not" (funny girl!) ... to crate or not to crate, evening shift or no evening shift, one, two, or three dogs ... the main thing you need to consider is if the puppy is housebroken or not.

Yes, puppies are adorable (created that way on purpose, don'tcha know? :)) ... but with no one home full-time to train it to do his business OUTSIDE, you will have no end of regrets!

Puppies really are like children, in that they need constant guidance and discipline, not just affection and fun times.

My opinion, anyway, for what it's worth to you.

~ ABC

You're right that it's not a good thing for them to develop bad habits. I'm glad that darling little Bella Blue is already housebroken. And we're fortunate that we're home most of the time. That makes it a whole lot easier.

Maybe the solution is for Hawkgirl's mom to go with her to look at puppies. Maybe she'll fall in love with a little cute pup and agree for the pooch to come to her place with the granddaughter. One can dream.

My mom used to "hate" dogs, or so she said. When I had little schnauzers when my sons were younger, my mom would always make little coats for those "darned dogs". Then at the end of her life, she'd look forward to the visits from the greyhounds at the nursing home. She even let my small female black greyhound at the time, Tiny, jump on the bed with her. So sometimes moms can change their mind.

By the way, the dog whom the adoption coordinator said wouldn't jump up on a bed is up on our bed now, stealing Darlene's pillow spot. :D

We're terrible trainers, laughed instead of telling her to get off. Now the two girls came into the computer room together. They're inseperable. I can't tell you how glad that I am that we got Bella for Darlene (and us).

ABC in Georgia
12-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Darlene always was good, just got into a few things initially. But she was easy. I've had a total of 7 greyhounds (not all at one time), and Bella is the easiest. She has just enough playfulness in her that she's not quite perfect, but almost perfect.

We left her alone for a few hours this afternoon, as we had a doc appointment. She was perfect.

Oh Mercy, SLW ... (Also see edit at bottom)

Came in here to comment on the adorable new addition to your household. Got caught up in reading Hawkgirl's posts, and of course had to stick my nose into it. Hope she didn't mind. :confused:

Anyway, such gorgeous pics SR added, and such a very lucky animal to have found you both! She will know that she has been "rescued" and that she is finally loved. She'll be a good girl for you, I'm sure!

Have fun guys, and enjoy her!

~ ABC

Edited to add ... SLW you came in while I was doing my wonderful 2-fingered typing.

We're terrible trainers, laughed instead of telling her to get off. Now the two girls came into the computer room together. They're inseperable. I can't tell you how glad that I am that we got Bella for Darlene (and us).

Who cares, all 4 of you sound like a happy household indeed!

SaintLouieWoman
12-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Update----never believe what a rescue group tells you. :D

Bella is the pooch that NEVER jumps on a bed. Today we heard the sound of barking coming from our bedroom. Also greyhounds supposedly don't bark.

The first bark was from Darlene, telling that youngster that she'd best not dare jump up on the bed. Later we heard some barking again drifting in from the bedroom. But Darlene was with us in the kitchen.

It was the crazy pup, on our bed, barking. I guess she saw Darlene up there barking, so she thought she'd do the same thing.

We love that new pooch. She's so cute. :D