PDA

View Full Version : Weird growth

djones520
12-04-2011, 09:50 PM
I was just petting my dog and by her neck I felt a weird bump. I parted her fur and found something attached to her, and it appeared to be pushing into her skin. I can't describe it. I know what ticks are and this was not one. It was about half an inch long, maybe 2mm's wide, and had a slight curve. It was very hard, but crusty. Whatever it was it was not alive.

It didn't seem to be causing her any pain and after a few attempts I was able to pull it out with a pair of tweezers. It felt like it just snapped off and I was worried it was left in her, but when I examined her skin I found a hole and it didn't look like there was anything left. It didn't seem to penetrate all the way through the skin either, just a couple of millimeters into it.

Anyone ever see anything like this before?

Novaheart
12-04-2011, 10:00 PM
I was just petting my dog and by her neck I felt a weird bump. I parted her fur and found something attached to her, and it appeared to be pushing into her skin. I can't describe it. I know what ticks are and this was not one. It was about half an inch long, maybe 2mm's wide, and had a slight curve. It was very hard, but crusty. Whatever it was it was not alive.

It didn't seem to be causing her any pain and after a few attempts I was able to pull it out with a pair of tweezers. It felt like it just snapped off and I was worried it was left in her, but when I examined her skin I found a hole and it didn't look like there was anything left. It didn't seem to penetrate all the way through the skin either, just a couple of millimeters into it.

Anyone ever see anything like this before?

It's probably too late, but if you could slice it in half with a razor blade, it might tell you something. If you can't slice it in half with a razor blade, then my guess would be that someone shot your dog with a pellet gun.

SarasotaRepub
12-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Very strange, doesn't sound like anything I've seen or heard talked about. Glad she's ok.
:confused::confused::confused:

SaintLouieWoman
12-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Also never heard of anything like that. Did you put some sort of disinfectant on it, like alcohol or something? Perhaps you could try some neosporin on that spot just in case.

djones520
12-05-2011, 01:44 AM
No, I didn't put any on her. It didn't seem to be disturbing her at all, and it had obviously been there for some time and the skin around it seemed fine. I'll check her when I get home in the morning and see how the hole is doing.

Articulate_Ape
12-05-2011, 01:52 AM
If anything like this happens in the next 24 hours, you might wanna consider a visit to the vet, Jonesy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgFKdWcKXY

I'm just sayin'.

SaintLouieWoman
12-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Did you ever find out anything else about that weird growth? It sounds like you and your family have been rather busy with the new baby and all, but just trying for an update.

BTW, when will your wife and the new baby be home? So glad that your mom is there to help her.

djones520
12-13-2011, 02:39 PM
The dog seems fine. I've checked occasionally and haven't felt anything new there.

And we've been home since Sunday. They kept us about 30 hours then released us.