PDA

View Full Version : I suspect that I am dying. And I won't seek treatment.

SarasotaRepub
12-05-2011, 05:05 PM
I suspect a (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2431404) :bounce: . But hey, it's DU.

MedicalAdmin (1000+ posts) Mon Dec-05-11 03:23 PM
Original message I suspect that I am dying. And I won't seek treatment.

I could say that this has nothing to do with me being a typical male, but let me tell my story and you decide.

I work hard and always have. 6 years ago a company passenger van, driven by an unlicensed driver, flew through a stop sign and plowed into me. I was recovering when about 4 months later I was driving back from a PT session when another driver blew through a stop sign and T boned me into a hospital. I am partially paralysed these days and in great pain all the time from the resultant spinal injuries.

Here's were it gets fun. After the second accident the first insurance company decided that I wasn't hurt, the second company blamed the first company claiming pre-existing conditions and my insurance company said it wasn't their problem because of the car accident so they weren't paying either. The neurosurgeon and hospital (somewhat reasonably) decided that without an insurance company to cover the costs, they wanted cash on the spot.

Thus I have a spinal injury and no treatment.

My job, needless to say, let me go. Luckily a doctor I know hired me to work in her clinic (I'm a little AR and a good organizer and planner) in admin where I could function without movement as any movement triggers spasms and pain. But she can't pay enough to make a huge difference and can't extend insurance because her clinic is too small to take on the premium increase that my pre-existing condition would bring. Not that she didn't try but when faced with a bill that would have bankrupted the clinic she sat down and had a tear filled (on her part) talk with me telling me why. She had literally over 20 estimates and none of them were worth the shit found on a piece of used toilet paper.

For the past 6 years I have been struggling with a legal fight to get some payment so that I can get some treatment for this. I had a chat with my lawyer again this morning (considered to be the best personal injury attorney in the state) and he told me that the insurance companies have filed for yet another extension. He thinks that they are trying to win a war of attrition. They have offered about $12,000 in a settlement. In case you are wondering, this is a joke. My take home was about $40,000 after taxes and I had full insurance for myself and my family. I no longer have savings.

And yes, I did mention dying. Recently I started to hemorrhage blood every morning and night to the tune of between 16 and 32 ounces a day. Some days I don't but on average I would say that I bleed about 5 days out of 7. I hide this from my wife, my boss, and everyone else in my life. These bleeds have been accompanied by a loss of balance (+vertigo) and blinding migraines. A doctor friend of mine who practices in Canada took my phone call, asked about the symptoms and told me that he would screen me for a tumor and he would do it tomorrow (this was about 5 months ago). I promised him that I was seeing a doctor the next day. I lied so he wouldn't worry and moved on with my life. Or tried to. I'm sicker every day.

I doubt I will live to see the end of the lawsuit, but I could be wrong. I know a lot of you will tell me, "go see a doctor and do it now," or "get help and figure out the bills later," but that advice only exists for the rich and middle class, a club membership I lost 6 years ago when a company decided to employ for 2 years an unlicensed driver for their passenger shuttle. And my second mistake was to in this country. In any sane country, this shit just doesn't happen. I have chosen to do nothing because I can afford no other option. I can't afford the surgery. I can't afford the diagnostic tests to check if I have tumors growing in my head and even if I could, what is the point of finding out a diagnosis that I can't afford to get treated for. Ignorance is bliss for as long as it lasts.

This essay came to me because there is still an ever growing number of people, even on DU, who don't fucking get it. The insurance companies are still in control of the gates to the city and they don't want your poor ass to get through. They want you dead. They want me dead. And they are coming for you and your family next. You are one moment, one car accident, one second away from being exactly where I am.

And I spend part of each day wondering what type of bullet will do the job right.

I no longer believe that American's have the will of the means to change the system. Chomsky was right when he said in 1998 that the USA would become the greatest threat to democracy in the world in the coming century. I used to think he was cynical. I now know that he was far too pollyanna.

I would like to get feedback on the state of health care delivery in the USA. What is your story? How has this effected you or your family? Do you, like me, avoid all care even though you are sure you need it because you know you can't afford it or can't access it? Do you know anyone who has died or killed themselves because of the lack of health care access in the USA? And most importantly, does anyone have any idea what we can do about it?

Final word - if your ideas for solution include insurance companies, you are a fool. That is just my opinion so don't take it personally, although being a fool you either won't figure out what I just said or you will and will take umbrage anyway.

Because I know if this was me, I'd be posting and Drama Queening it up just like this putz. :rolleyes:

And I suspect the vast majority if not all the DUmmies will just eat this and ask for more...

jendf
12-05-2011, 05:12 PM
I work hard and always have.

Yeah, I stopped reading after that. Lies! All lies! :D

Rockntractor
12-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Another one bites the dust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Dan D. Doty
12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Let me get this straight.

Two trucks ran stop signs and just managed to hit this guy in a four month period?

Most companies would have rushed to this guy's bedside with a settlement in hand to stop a law suit.

Now MedicalAdmin ( this name makes you think, don't it) has come to the conculsion that America is the worse country in the world, and is in fact a danger the people of planet Earth.

As for talking about " right bullet " that just screams Drama Queen.

Wonder if they had clowns and cake at this pity party.

Adam Wood
12-05-2011, 06:43 PM
This guy sure is a magnet for people running into him at high rates of speed.

Defensive driving, buddy. Take a course.

DumbAss Tanker
12-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Well, I suspect that you are bullshitting. It is not possible to survive a rate of blood loss that high for more than a week, without even going near the high end of the range you quote.

SarasotaRepub
12-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Threads locked. :rolleyes::D

FDK
12-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Too long. Didn't read.

Tipsycatlover
12-06-2011, 12:46 AM
A total BS. Complete and total. Let me put it this way, it wouldn't make a fiction mag.

If this had really happened, this guys hand would be so deep in those corporate deep pockets you wouldn't see his elbow.

Here's my story.

My husband was taken to the emergency room at Cedars Sinai hospital when he collapsed. He was admitted. His liver was failing and he needed a transplant. We filled out forms for assistance as we had no insurance and no money. There are literally hundreds of foundations supporting Cedars. Two of them picked up the total costs. We began the lengthy evaluation process of testing. We never got a bill. For all the treatment he got, we never got a bill.

Unfortunately, while he was on the waiting list, he contracted an unrelated condition and needed emergency surgery. I took him to our closest hospital which had a financial assistance program supported by a charitable trust started by several of the wealthy families of Rancho Palos Verdes. The surgeon who performed the emergency surgery came down in the middle of the night, she got there at 1:30 am to perform the surgery. Unfortunately the nature of this condition meant that he had at best only a 50/50 chance of survival. He spent two months in the hospital and was transferred to an acute care hospital for another two months before he died.

We never got a bill. I never got a bill.

Medical Admin is asking for personal accountds of American health care, do you think he'd be interested in this one.

BadCat
12-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Recently I started to hemorrhage blood every morning and night to the tune of between 16 and 32 ounces a day.

Uhm...you'd already BE DEAD.

noonwitch
12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
There is no way a person can hide that type of blood loss from a spouse, unless they no longer share a bed and she's a junkie who is zoning out most of the time.

Then again, this is DU.

If he really is losing blood like that, most hospitals would treat him whether he has insurance or not. He should try a Catholic or a university hospital.

Adam Wood
12-06-2011, 10:17 AM
A total BS. Complete and total. Let me put it this way, it wouldn't make a fiction mag.

If this had really happened, this guys hand would be so deep in those corporate deep pockets you wouldn't see his elbow.

Here's my story.

My husband was taken to the emergency room at Cedars Sinai hospital when he collapsed. He was admitted. His liver was failing and he needed a transplant. We filled out forms for assistance as we had no insurance and no money. There are literally hundreds of foundations supporting Cedars. Two of them picked up the total costs. We began the lengthy evaluation process of testing. We never got a bill. For all the treatment he got, we never got a bill.

Unfortunately, while he was on the waiting list, he contracted an unrelated condition and needed emergency surgery. I took him to our closest hospital which had a financial assistance program supported by a charitable trust started by several of the wealthy families of Rancho Palos Verdes. The surgeon who performed the emergency surgery came down in the middle of the night, she got there at 1:30 am to perform the surgery. Unfortunately the nature of this condition meant that he had at best only a 50/50 chance of survival. He spent two months in the hospital and was transferred to an acute care hospital for another two months before he died.

We never got a bill. I never got a bill.

Medical Admin is asking for personal accountds of American health care, do you think he'd be interested in this one.Sorry to hear about your husband. I'm sure that was very difficult to go through.

Zafod
12-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Being a licences claims adjuster I can professionally say this guy is full of shit.

SarasotaRepub
12-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Hence the Lock. :rolleyes::D

Tipsycatlover
12-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Sorry to hear about your husband. I'm sure that was very difficult to go through.

On Dec 9th it will be a full year and it doesn't get any easier either. All I can say is, I thank God every day that there were very wealthy people who set up these trusts and foundations. He got the very best care, by the very best doctors right up to the end.

An OWS protester would shit on his grave. The put upon poor will probably steal his gravestone.

Carol
12-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Interesting.

MedicalAdmin Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Dec-05-11 04:19 PM
Response to Reply #10
39. I'd love to but I can't even afford to fix my broken car...

... I walk 7 miles to my job each way. Daily.

It seems to me that a plane ticket is definitely out of the question and I'm pretty sure I can't hitchhike there.

I am partially paralysed these days and in great pain all the time from the resultant spinal injuries.

Luckily a doctor I know hired me to work in her clinic (I'm a little AR and a good organizer and planner) in admin where I could function without movement as any movement triggers spasms and pain.

But he can WALK 7 miles each way to work.

uppityperson Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Dec-05-11 05:40 PM
Response to Original message
84. Human average is 6 qts of blood in body. If you are bleeding out 1/2-1 qt a day,

and do so 5 of 7 days, how many transfusions have you had?

Yes, insurance sucks and it sounds like those mva ins companies are giving you the real run around.

But how can you be "bleeding out" over 1/2 your total blood a week?

I am sorry that you are having to deal with asshole ins companies, but this doesn't make sense.

He responds to many comments until 6:37 pm and then totally quits respondiing just before this comment.

I think it's someone with mental illness problems. Otherwise he'd know how illogical these are and would have avoided it.

Tipsycatlover
12-06-2011, 11:29 AM
This is what happens when your brain is on pot.

Zathras
12-06-2011, 12:32 PM
MedicalAdmin Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Dec-05-11 04:19 PM
Response to Reply #10
39. I'd love to but I can't even afford to fix my broken car...

... I walk 7 miles to my job each way. Daily.

It seems to me that a plane ticket is definitely out of the question and I'm pretty sure I can't hitchhike there.

Let me guess....that 7 miles the DUmmy walks every day....uphill both ways and in the snow.

Hmmm, I'm sensing something spherical and made out of vulcanised rubber is involved with this story.

AmPat
12-06-2011, 01:07 PM
On Dec 9th it will be a full year and it doesn't get any easier either. All I can say is, I thank God every day that there were very wealthy people who set up these trusts and foundations. He got the very best care, by the very best doctors right up to the end.

An OWS protester would shit on his grave. The put upon poor will probably steal his gravestone.

God bless you. I pray God will give you peace beyond understanding. Your story highlights the true nature of Charity. Charity is never efficient when coerced and pushed through government filters (bureaucracy). If government got out of the "Charity" business, we could take care of people VOLUNTARILY and decrease the size and cost of our out of control government at the same time.

Odysseus
12-06-2011, 02:50 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. But you are right, it sounds like everyone that could do something to help did so. That really is how most people are, except in DUmpsville, where everyone but them is a greedy manipulator.

jendf
12-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Let me guess....that 7 miles the DUmmy walks every day....uphill both ways and in the snow.

Hmmm, I'm sensing something spherical and made out of vulcanised rubber is involved with this story.

And barefoot.

SarasotaRepub
12-07-2011, 09:52 PM
And barefoot.

Did I mention the broken glass??? :D

ABC in Georgia
12-07-2011, 10:40 PM
And how about the snow blindness from looking down to see where he was going, while trudging all those miles to work?

Especially on sunny mornings, huh?

Guess at least he could follow the day before's blood trail if need be!

My goodness, such a trouper! :rotfl:

~ ABC