PDA

View Full Version : Crucified Santa??

Elspeth
12-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Seems to be in Linda's neck of the woods.

Town under fire for crucified Santa display at courthouse (http://www.kfiam640.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=9475501)

A Christmas display outside the courthouse in Leesburg, VA featuring Santa Claus crucified on a cross was torn down by an angry resident in spite of arguments by elected leaders that the display was Constitutionally-protected free speech....

...The display was erected by Jeff Heflin, whose application was submitted and approved by the Loudon County Board of Supervisors.

“The county would not dismantle it, the county gave it permission for it to be there,” Supervisor Steven Miller told the local newspaper. “We had the same thing happen a year ago when Ed Myers put up some vulgar parody lyrics of the “Twelve Days of Christmas.” Well those came down within an hour and that’s vigilantes.”

The Loudon Times reported that Heflin described his display as “art work of Santa on a cross to depict society’s materialistic obsessions and addictions and how it is killing the peace, love, joy and kindness that is supposed to be prevalent during the holiday season.”

“It was meant to show the over-commercialization of Christmas,” said Jonathan Weintraub, of the NOVA Atheists. “I agree. It is over commercialized. People should keep their hands off the display, all the displays.”

The display was torn down by an unidentified local resident, according to the Loudon County Sheriff’s Dept. So far, no one has been arrested....

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Santa-Claus-4.jpg

JB
12-06-2011, 06:17 PM
"It was meant to show the over-commercialization of Christmas,” said Jonathan Weintraub, of the NOVA Atheists.That's rich. An atheist showing concern for what the meaning of Christmas should or should not be about.

Tell you what douche...how about they put up a manger display, to show what Christmas is really all about. Would that be OK with you?

Arroyo_Doble
12-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I have seen bad art in my life but that is truly awful. The execution is terrible, the point is lost in the laziness and lack of detail, and it fails to evoke the emotional connection of a debased, spiritual celebration.

If you are going to do something, put a little effort into it. Oh, and crucifying Santa is ham handed and simple. Try to be more subtle next time and crucify the Grinch.

JB
12-06-2011, 07:03 PM
I have seen bad art in my life but that is truly awful...It might work as an anti-smoking ad.

"Look kids, this is what happens when you smoke."

Elspeth
12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
I have seen bad art in my life but that is truly awful. The execution is terrible, the point is lost in the laziness and lack of detail, and it fails to evoke the emotional connection of a debased, spiritual celebration.

Perhaps the artist's avowed purpose was not his true purpose. Or maybe he got his inspiration from Tim Burton. All I kept wondering is what kind of trauma this might have inflicted on little kids whose parents' daily route took them by the courthouse.

RedGrouse
12-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I like to see the Easter Bunny crucified. :cool:

Arroyo_Doble
12-07-2011, 09:23 PM
I like to see the Easter Bunny crucified. :cool:

See, now that is good on more than one level. You have a mix of Christian dominance of European paganism mixed in with the spiritual aspects of Easter for Christians along with the brutal execution of a clear symbol of fertility.

Work up an artist's statement, put some serious effort into the piece and you may get The Whitney on board.

linda22003
12-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Rather to the west of me. Haven't heard anything about this locally.

NJCardFan
12-08-2011, 10:46 AM
See, now that is good on more than one level. You have a mix of Christian dominance of European paganism mixed in with the spiritual aspects of Easter for Christians along with the brutal execution of a clear symbol of fertility.

Work up an artist's statement, put some serious effort into the piece and you may get The Whitney on board.

Um, Christians do not hold the Easter Bunny up in any way, shape, or form and detest the commercialization of what Easter has turned into as much as what Christmas has turned into. So fap off.

Arroyo_Doble
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Um, Christians do not hold the Easter Bunny up in any way, shape, or form ...

Er .... yea. I know.

Molon Labe
12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Pretty sick display. For shock value and getting Christians riled up. Ignorant people.

Tipsycatlover
12-08-2011, 11:49 AM
It doesn't look like Santa is being cruicified, it looks like the cross is a structure to hang the effigy from. It doesn't look like Santa. It looks like "The Nightmare Before Christmas".

noonwitch
12-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Ted Nugent once posed for a cover of a now-defunct local alternative paper at Christmas time. The photo was staged so that it appeared that he was picking Santa's reindeer off of his roof with a hunting rifle. One of the inside photos was of Ted standing over what appeared to be Santa's freshly shot corpse.

I found it hilarious at the time, but Ted tried to stop them from printing it after he thought it over.

This is a public display, where kids who still believe in Santa will see it. That's just not nice.

THE Gypsy
12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
It doesn't look like Santa is being cruicified, it looks like the cross is a structure to hang the effigy from. It doesn't look like Santa. It looks like "The Nightmare Before Christmas".

I saw it the same way.

THE Gypsy
12-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Loudoun’s ‘Skeleton Santa’ dismantler speaks

...Czarnecki, a longtime Leesburg resident, drove past the courthouse, saw the jauntily posed sacrilege, and figured there was a mistake. It’ll be gone soon. But later, it was still there.

She thought about the children who might see it, and be traumatized by a possibly crucified Santa. (She’s a young grandmother.) She was offended as a Christian at the use of the cross. It did not seem funny, and the implied message of “Christmas commercialized to death” seemed insignificant to Czarnecki.

“So I parked my car and walked over,” she said. And though she hadn’t planned it, and certainly didn’t realize she’d be filmed by a local TV news crew, soon the controversial Kringle was neatly lying on the ground.

...Rather than rip it to the ground, she carefully picked Santa and the suit off the cross and laid it down piece by piece. As she did, she thought to herself, “This is awful. Everybody knows this is awful. Is there any question it’s inappropriate.”

...“And I left,” Czarnecki said, calmly walking away. The display was later restored, then torn down again and damaged over the weekend, the Loudoun Times-Mirror reported.

“I was deeply offended,” Czarnecki said. “It felt like a spiritual assault. The cross is a symbol that Christians and non-Christians recognize. Nobody has the right to put up such a thing.” There has not been any indication that she will be charged with anything, she said.

I asked whether the creator of the piece, Jeff Heflin Jr. of Middleburg, had a First Amendment right to freedom of speech in this instance. “I don’t think that’s correct,” Czarnecki said. “Nobody can put whatever they want. If you deliberately attack a religion, it was threatening.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-state-of-nova/post/loudouns-skeleton-santa-dismantler-speaks/2011/12/12/gIQAn4rArO_blog.html?hpid=z2

"deliberately attack a religion"? :rolleyes:

Video at linky.

Tipsycatlover
12-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Is there a scarecrow in a cornfield anyplace that is not held up by a cross?