PDA

View Full Version : GOP filibusters judicial nominee

Rockntractor
12-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Senators move to block Caitlin Halligan, President Obama's pick for a seat on the Washington federal appeals court. Republicans cite concerns about her record on gun rights and terrorism detainees.
By James Oliphant, Washington Bureau

December 7, 2011
Reporting from Washington—

Republicans blocked a vote on President Obama's pick for a seat on the crucial federal appeals court in Washington, dealing the White House a setback as it continues to struggle to fill judicial vacancies across the nation.

The Senate GOP filibustered the nomination of Caitlin Halligan, a New York lawyer who had won praise from some conservatives.

Republicans said they were concerned about Halligan's record on gun rights and terrorism detainee issues. All but one — Alaska's Lisa Murkowski — voted to prevent her nomination from going to the floor for a final vote, where the judge could have been approved by a simple majority. The final tally was 54 to 45, six votes short of the 60 needed to break the filibuster.

It marked the second time this year that Republicans have filibustered a key Obama judicial nominee. They denied Californian Goodwin Liu a seat on the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco in May. (A few months later, Liu was appointed to the California Supreme Court by Gov. Jerry Brown.)

Obama chose Halligan, a former New York state solicitor general who serves as general counsel to the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, considered one of the most important federal appellate courts in the nation because of its role in reviewing decisions made by government agencies.

A judgeship on the court is often viewed as a stepping stone to the Supreme Court, and nominations to the D.C. Circuit have for years prompted clashes between Senate Democrats and Republicans. Indeed, Halligan was picked to replace John G. Roberts Jr., who was elevated to the high court as its chief justice in 2005.

Senate Democrats and interest groups argued that in blocking Halligan, the GOP abandoned a standard that was agreed upon by both parties in 2005, when Republicans threatened to do away with the judicial filibuster entirely. Then, the so-called Gang of 14 — a bipartisan group of senators — vowed to push through any nominee except in "extraordinary circumstances."

Senate Republicans are "blocking 20 other highly qualified judicial nominees," President Obama said in a statement. "These are distinguished nominees who, historically, would be confirmed without delay."

Read More>http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-judge-filibuster-20111207,0,6667496.story

DumbAss Tanker
12-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Democrat-dominated Senates in past Congresses have had as many as 300 judicial appointments stacked up when a Republican was in the White House. Suck it, DemonRats.

Rockntractor
12-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Democrat-dominated Senates in past Congresses have had as many as 300 judicial appointments stacked up when a Republican was in the White House. Suck it, DemonRats.

The Republicans are finally showing some signs of testicular development.

Janice
12-07-2011, 06:23 PM

Must have been a 'one off ' ... even a nonworking clock is right twice a day.

Wei Wu Wei
12-07-2011, 06:33 PM

They filibuster everything though.

Rockntractor
12-07-2011, 06:58 PM
They filibuster everything though.

No they don't Wei.

Novaheart
12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I'd filibuster her because her name is Caitlin. I'd also block anyone who has a cutesy spelling of his or her name. And anyone whose first name is Phillip or Allen.

Rockntractor
12-07-2011, 09:40 PM
I'd filibuster her because her name is Caitlin. I'd also block anyone who has a cutesy spelling of his or her name. And anyone whose first name is Phillip or Allen.

or Steve.

AmPat
12-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Senate Republicans are "blocking 20 other highly qualified judicial nominees," President Obama said in a statement. "These are distinguished nominees who, historically, would be confirmed without delay."What the Marxist is saying is; " blocking 20 completely Marxist (DIMoRAT), liberal, progressive moonbats that I want to saddle the American people with before I am unceremoniously dumped out on my @$$ next November.

The next part, " President Obama said" is code for: Everything preceding these words were lies.

txradioguy
12-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Gotta love how that story is written. The vote was 54-45 yet it's the Republicans and the Republicans alone that filibustered the vote according to the story.

How about a headline like "Bi-partisian vote blocks Obama Judicial Nominee"?

THAT would be more accurate.

AmPat
12-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Gotta love how that story is written. The vote was 54-45 yet it's the Republicans and the Republicans alone that filibustered the vote according to the story.

How about a headline like "Bi-partisian vote blocks Obama Judicial Nominee"?

THAT would be more accurate.
Since Obama wasn't in the voting demographic, it can't be him that didn't vote. Who is missing?:confused:
On edit: Found it. Orin Hatch voted present.

Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa), the top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said in remarks on the Senate floor that Halligan’s representation of New York in a case against gun manufacturers and her membership on a New York City Bar Association panel that issued a report criticizing Bush administration detainee policy had given him concerns about Halligan’s “judicial philosophy and her approach to interpreting the Constitution.”

“Based on her record, I simply do not believe she will be able to put aside her long record of liberal advocacy and be a fair and impartial jurist,” Grassley said.
Exactly! There is no compromise with these matters. Either a judicial nominee argues based upon the Constitution or they don't get in. Too bad Marxists. Move to another country and rule away. Stay out of OUR so far still free country.