PDA

View Full Version : 90,000 NOT evacuating Galveston area?

d_va
09-12-2008, 07:17 PM
On Fox now, just reported the Mayor is pulling emergency services at 9 pm because it will become too dangerous for them and for those who remain, please write your SSN on your body.

The Galveston storm of 1900 killed 8,000 people.

The Hurricane of 1900 made landfall on the city of Galveston, Texas on September 8, 1900. It had estimated winds of 135 mph (215 km/h) at landfall, making it a Category 4 storm on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale.[1]

The hurricane caused great loss of life with the estimated death toll between 6,000 and 12,000 individuals;[2] the number most cited in official reports is 8,000, giving the storm the third-highest number of casualties of any Atlantic hurricane, after the Great Hurricane of 1780 and 1998’s Hurricane Mitch. The Galveston Hurricane of 1900 is to date the deadliest natural disaster ever to strike the United States. By contrast, the second-deadliest storm to strike the United States, the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane, caused approximately 2,500 deaths, and the deadliest storm of recent times, Hurricane Katrina, claimed the lives of approximately 1,800 people.

The hurricane occurred before the practice of assigning official code names to tropical storms was instituted, and thus it is commonly referred to under a variety of descriptive names. Typical names for the storm include the Galveston Hurricane of 1900, the Great Galveston Hurricane, and, especially in older documents, the Galveston Flood. It is often referred to by Galveston locals as The Great Storm or The 1900 Storm.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston_hurricane_of_1900

Ike almost a Cat 3 now.

Gingersnap
09-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Did you hear the 90,000 number on FOX? :confused:

JB
09-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Did you hear the 90,000 number on FOX? :confused:From the AP:
Authorities in three counties alone said roughly 90,000 stayed behind, despite a warning from forecasters that many of those in one- or two-story homes faced "certain death."Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080912/ap_on_re_us/ike)

Gingersnap
09-12-2008, 08:11 PM
From the AP:Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080912/ap_on_re_us/ike)

Eek! :( ..............

SarasotaRepub
09-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Did you hear the 90,000 number on FOX? :confused:

It was on Fox also, Shep was talking about it.

SarasotaRepub
09-12-2008, 09:04 PM
I knew it!!!

They have Geraldo on the seawall right now. :D

LibraryLady
09-12-2008, 09:15 PM
90,000 in 3 counties.

I just found out that my ex MIL is at my ex(but beloved) SIL's house in Humble, Texas). They are in Northern Harris county.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/Global%20Gore/counties.gif

SarasotaRepub
09-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Hopefully they'll be safe there! It's probably going to be a
horrible mess on Galveston tomorow morning.

SarasotaRepub
09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Geraldo is just too funny! The guy next to him with a wind meter is standing normal and our fearless weather guy is leaning into the wind bouncing all over. :D

They said the wind was blowing 120mph. And the eye is just minutes away.

asdf2231
09-12-2008, 11:53 PM
God bless and keep anyone who didn't get out because they are going to need all the help they can get tonight.

I am going to beg here for folks to donate something, anything you can spare, to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, or Southern Baptist Federation.

Your fellow Americans are going to need all the help they can get in the days to come and the cupboard is pretty bare right now. So please donate if you possibly can.

newshutr
09-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Geraldo just got pegged in the side of the face with some flying debris..

And no, it wasn't a chair..

asdf2231
09-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Geraldo just got pegged in the side of the face with some flying debris..

And no, it wasn't a chair..

Well at least SOME good came of all this. :D

newshutr
09-13-2008, 01:23 AM
If you've got Direct TV, Channel 361 has live storm coverage from KHOU Channel 11 in Houston.

They're up to the minute and not losing signal like FOX is..

SarasotaRepub
09-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Boy the news crews are like vultures, they can't wait to get
on Galveston. Hopefully all the predictions of "imminent death"
were just that.

LibraryLady
09-13-2008, 12:12 PM
90,000 in 3 counties.

I just found out that my ex MIL is at my ex(but beloved) SIL's house in Humble, Texas). They are in Northern Harris county.

Haven't been able to reach them today, guess electric and phones are out.

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2008, 03:36 PM
90,000 in 3 counties.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/Global%20Gore/counties.gif

I hope they make it through okay.

And I'm sorry, can't help it....there's a Humble Texas?

LibraryLady
09-13-2008, 03:43 PM
I hope they make it through okay.

And I'm sorry, can't help it....there's a Humble Texas?

Humble, Texas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humble,_Texas)

Humble is a city in Harris County, Texas within the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan area.

The proper pronunciation of the city is "umble" (the "H" being silent), as the city's founder (see below) pronounced his last name in that manner. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 14,579. The city shares a zip code with the small Houston neighborhood of Bordersville, although people who live in Bordersville still have Humble addresses.

Petroleum has been the basis of Humble's economy since its beginning. Loch Energy is headquartered in Humble; the city was the namesake for Humble Oil and Refining Company, which later merged with the Exxon corporation.

The city got its name from one of the original founders/settlers, a successful wildcatter originally from England named Pleasant Smith "Plez" Humble, who opened the first post office in his home and later served as justice of the peace.

asdf2231
09-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Thank God this sucker seems to have come ashore gentle enough that the casualties are going to be MUCH less than they could have been. :)

Property damage is gonna be horrific but the life and limb factor seems to have been minimized summat.

SarasotaRepub
09-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Whew! Our power just came back on...Yay! :D

It went out around 7:30am central time, came on around 1:30.

We had more of our big silver maple come crashing down on the house
but it looks like it just busted some of the gutter. Came too close to hitting
a few windows. That tree is gonna have to go I think. The sun is
just staring to come out again.

Now we have to take all the food out of the ice chests and get it back
into the freezers. :rolleyes::D

Zeus
09-14-2008, 03:35 PM
They were predicting high winds and 2+ inches of rain here. Didn't get either of them. Lived here for going on 20 yrs and as far as power outages go it has never been out more than maybe 15 minutes. Usually when the power goes out around here by the time you can say "Crap,the powers out" it's back on.

SarasotaRepub
09-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Here's a pic of the wind damage to the maple.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/647f3173.jpg

You can also see the gutter damage top left. I used my little Black & Decker chainsaw to clear the patio near the door so the dogs (and us) can get out to the backyard. That little sucker looks like a toy but it does the job! A tree service is coming in the morning to look at the maple and we'll decided if it comes totally down or just trim the crap out of it.

According to the rain Gage we got 5 inches but I think it was more as it tilted a bit from the wind. There was some minor flooding of roads all around us but nothing too bad.

I'm putting a chicken in the oven right now, didn't think we'd be able to but the power came back 4 hours quicker than Ameren said it would.

JB
09-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Whew! Our power just came back on...Yay! :D

It went out around 7:30am central time, came on around 1:30.

We had more of our big silver maple come crashing down on the house
but it looks like it just busted some of the gutter. Came too close to hitting
a few windows. That tree is gonna have to go I think. The sun is
just staring to come out again.

Now we have to take all the food out of the ice chests and get it back
into the freezers. :rolleyes::DDid you get your $2,000 debit card yet?

SarasotaRepub
09-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Did you get your $2,000 debit card yet?

Nope. And I almost went on a looting rampage but a little old lady
across the street needed me to help her. :(:D

Katiebug
09-15-2008, 07:35 AM
The friend who my brother is staying with in Houston got his power back yesterday, so that's good.

He's going to get on the Island today...another guy from his unit got out there yesterday and informed him that while his car is still where he parked it at the unit, apparently there is major water damage to all of the personal vehicles that were parked there. The other guy was parked next to him and couldn't get his car started at all so there's not much hope for my brother's car.

He'll swing by his apartment and get his uniforms and civvies that can be salvaged (his dress uniforms are toast for sure), take them to his friend's house and launder them. A few days of being damp shouldn't damage most of it. I'm encouraging him to NOT stay on the island until power and water are restored, but he's a stubborn (and heavily-armed) guy and may try to do it.

His guess is a month or 6 weeks before he'll be able to get back in his apartment - but they're telling residents of the island that it may be a month before power is back on for everyone, so I don't know how realistic that is. His insurance company should provide him with funds for temporary housing but there's no way he'll find a Residence Inn or something similar with an open room within 2 hours of Galveston (he has to be able to get to his unit within 2 hours, once they go back to work). He might be crashing at friends' places for a while.

:D He was joking that maybe, just maybe he can get a FEMA trailer.

LibraryLady
09-16-2008, 03:37 AM
Have heard from most of our family and friends in Houston area. They have generators (they're big hunters and don't chance losing meat). Still haven't contacted a friend in Elkins Lake.
some good reports about the help but also some complaints about how long till the FEMA folks arrived. One complained about Osteen's church and I didn't pay attention until I read this at Wizbang:

Lakewood Church is a fraud. While many area churches made sure to find their members in need and try to help, once again the richest church in Houston has focused its efforts on ... selling books and tapes!

That's pitiful.

SarasotaRepub
09-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Here's a couple of pics of our tree now that it's been cut WAY back!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/2f06d9cb.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/97c93fbc.jpg

Lots more sun going to get to the patio and lawn! :D