PDA

View Full Version : Will abortion funding sink health care reform?

Junebug68
06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
You know me, I just can't resist an abortion thread...

rurallib (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 10:14 PM
Original message
Will abortion funding sink health care reform?
I am working for a health care advocacy group this summer. I have had some time to think about how a President Obama will push a health care bill through Congress and how the repugs will try to stop it. It came to me as clear as a bell: they will tie health care with "government funded abortions" and get the rabid wingnuts to a frenzied pitch.
Getting health care will not be easy. There is a huge pot of gold these guys will not give up easily.
Hope I am wrong.

:confused:

Yael (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 10:21 PM
Response to Reply #2
6. She can make any decision she wants.
Edited on Sun Jun-08-08 10:28 PM by Yael
The question is in getting taxpayers to pay for it.

I am NOT for voluntary procedures (of ANY) kind being on the table. Too much is at stake.

Whats next, botox injections?

Quick! Ban him!

JerseygirlCT (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 10:28 PM
Response to Reply #6
16. You really think ending aan unwanted pregnancy is comparable
to botox?

You do know that there are often many good medical reasons for the procedure?

I think the problem is that we've allowed this to become an issue the right frames. This isn't about using abortion as birth control. This isn't about flighty women making flighty decisions.

These truly can be live or death decisions - from a physical, emotional or financial perspective. Belittling the patient does not help.

And, btw, botox is sometimes indicated for medical reasons, as well. For some people, it's been found effective as a treatment for chronic migraines, for instance.

Let's leave the medical advising to doctors, and leave the decisions to the patients.

Unfortunately, abortion is often used for birth control - that's one of the reasons I have a problem with it.

Lars39 (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-09-08 09:08 AM
Response to Reply #9
71. What you'll have to deal with then, is the consequences of women
(and men)involuntarily having children. You *have* to consider a woman's mental well being. Period.

So with the exception of rape (which all the pro-life people I know think is an exception when it comes to abortion,) these people were forced to have sex???

defendandprotect (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 11:49 PM
Response to Reply #26
59. The female has the ESTABLISHED life so it's her judgment ... per Roe vs Wade ---
not an unfertilized egg's judgment, nor a fetus' judgment ---

Emotional health -- psychological health have to be considered ---

And no pregnancy should be FORCED on any woman ---

Health of the fetus ... when the pregnancy is WANTED ---

It's not forced (most of the time) - they CHOSE to have sex.

Yada yada yada, most DUmmies just love abortion. :rolleyes:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3408661

linda22003
06-09-2008, 11:58 AM
My answer would be "no"; there's so much else that is likely to sink it politically before we even get around to considering what procedures are covered and which aren't.

InspiredHome
06-09-2008, 03:10 PM
As if Planned Parenthood really is in dire need of federal funding. :rolleyes:

linda22003
06-09-2008, 05:15 PM
During the current administration, they've received several increases.

FDK
06-09-2008, 09:36 PM
My answer would be "no"; there's so much else that is likely to sink it politically before we even get around to considering what procedures are covered and which aren't.

Agreed, health care reform will sink health care reform.