PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow: 60 Minutes Interview Just Got POTUS Reelected in 2012. UPDATED w/Video

Carol
12-12-2011, 02:12 PM
link
(http://www.democraticunderground.com/10027423)

Star Member ProSense (76,753 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

Holy Cow: 60 Minutes Interview Just Got POTUS Reelected in 2012. UPDATED w/Video
Holy Cow: 60 Minutes Interview Just Got POTUS Reelected in 2012. UPDATED w/Video

by ericlewis0

The interview is still underway here on the East Coast, so I suppose things could change, but so far, President Obama is thoroughly knocking it out of the park.

well okay, it just ended, and...wow.

I mostly just want to paraphrase as accurately as possible his responses to Steve Kroft's invariably GOP-tilted questions.

Here's the best of the best, though not too accurately quoted:

When I came into office in 2009, I thought the magnitude of the Country's problems were great enough, that Republicans and Democrats in Congress could put aside some of their rigid ideological baggage and come together to make hard balanced choices to fix things...but the Republicans made a different calculation. They saw that they had really messed up the economy and that I (POTUS) was popular. If they just stood on the sidelines and let things get worse, they could just wait, and eventually blame me for the bad economy.

In the comments of this very diary, Fellow Kosack Denver11 has already brilliantly articulated why this was the money quote:

If Obama and the Dems can hang this on the Rs, it is, in fact, all over. Sacrificing your country and its citizens for the opportunity to win elections will not go over well. At all.

Here's more of what POTUS said tonight on 60 Minutes, as best I can remember:

It won't matter too much whether the GOP nominee is Romney or Gingrich, because their platforms are basically the same thing, and Americans will have a stark choice between which way they think the country should move.
If, like the GOP, you think lowering taxes even more on the wealthiest and on corporations, and getting rid of lots of regulations are the answer, then I will lose.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/12/11/1044351/-Holy-Cow

How about a little hair-on-fire optimism?

Fired up!

JoePhilly (9,515 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail
1. He smacked every right wing talking point Kroft spit out.

Response to ProSense (Original post)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 09:23 AM

Star Member ThomWV (19,769 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail
2. Really? Do enough people watch 60-Minutes to get someone elected?

I'd be willing to bet everything I own that the Koch brothers will fund at least one campaign commercial within the next year that is just as hard-hitting against the President and will be seen by at least twice as many people.

We have not even begun to see the money that "Citizens United" will be throwing against Obama and the toll it will take on his fragile hold on the Presidency.

Response to ThomWV (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 09:25 AM

Star Member Fumesucker (23,090 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail
5. I think what the OP means is that if Obama keeps hitting these notes..

And then actually following through with actual actions then that will motivate a lot of people to come to the polls to vote for him.

Star Member leftstreet (20,432 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail
7. Wasn't his job performance supposed to do that?

Oh wait...
They really think that all Obama has to do is blame Republicans when HE is the PRESIDENT and they had majorities in the house and senate for part of that time.

Blaming Republicans is all they have since Obama has been such a failure.

noonwitch
12-12-2011, 02:25 PM
If the democrats can convince the majority of voters that the republicans are at fault for causing the current economic woes, and for planning to keep the economy stagnant to get rid of Obama.....

1. That's a big if

2. Neither of the GOP frontrunners (Newt and Romney) have held public office for many years, and neither were in office during this economic downturn.

So even if the dems can make a case, it will only matter to Bachman, Santorum and Paul, who have been members of congress in the past decade.

FDK
12-12-2011, 03:07 PM
This has:

http://www.creatifleven.co.uk/images/products/hosiery/hos-large.jpg

michaelsean
12-12-2011, 04:12 PM
So how come it was the Republicans not working with the Democrats rather than the Democrats not working with the Republicans? How about the bills that the House passes that Reid does not let see the light of day?

And if I'm not mistaken, didn't obama get his stimulus and healthcare bill passed?

DumbAss Tanker
12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Note to Democrats:

Down the sewer hole is not "Out of the park."

Thatisall.

JB
12-12-2011, 08:30 PM
I do feel sorry for Obama.

He is going to have a rough time next year trying to explain how this is still Bush's fault. :D

Zathras
12-13-2011, 03:45 AM
Sorry DUmmys but the answer from the Obumbler wouldn't have been a home run in a phone booth.

Wei Wu Wei
12-13-2011, 08:58 AM
I have no love lost for Obama or the Democrats, and as I've been saying for years, they lost my support a long time ago.

Still, Republicans did damn near unanimously block every major piece of legislation that the Obama administration the dems put forward. They had to fight tooth and nail to get anything.

Republicans love to point out that a handful of democrats didn't support this bill or that, but it doesn't change the fact that every single Republican voted the same way to stop anything from getting done.

If you have real criticisms of policy or legislation, that's fair, but it's insane to try to ignore the fact that Republicans were obstructing every step of the way.

People keep mentioning that Democrats had a majority in the House and Senate, but they always forget to mention that the Republicans filibustered almost every single bill during that time, and a simple majority is legally not enough to stop a filibuster. Even if the Democrats held over 50 of the seats, that's still not enough to end a filibuster.

djones520
12-13-2011, 09:03 AM
I have no love lost for Obama or the Democrats, and as I've been saying for years, they lost my support a long time ago.

Still, Republicans did damn near unanimously block every major piece of legislation that the Obama administration the dems put forward. They had to fight tooth and nail to get anything.

Republicans love to point out that a handful of democrats didn't support this bill or that, but it doesn't change the fact that every single Republican voted the same way to stop anything from getting done.

If you have real criticisms of policy or legislation, that's fair, but it's insane to try to ignore the fact that Republicans were obstructing every step of the way.

People keep mentioning that Democrats had a majority in the House and Senate, but they always forget to mention that the Republicans filibustered almost every single bill during that time, and a simple majority is legally not enough to stop a filibuster. Even if the Democrats held over 50 of the seats, that's still not enough to end a filibuster.

Umm... super majority in the House, and near super majority in the Senate. So don't give me that "tooth and nail" shit. They passed every major piece of legislation they wanted while they held the reigns. The Republicans were trying to get a say in what was going on, and there is undeniable proof that they kept getting told to shut up and color. They had no say those first two years in what happened, and your a fucking fool if you think otherwise. Maybe shit wouldn't still be broken if the Democrats had decided to be "bipartisan" and tossed a few scraps to the Republicans.

AmPat
12-13-2011, 09:32 AM

If the Republicans had any power to "obstruct" the Marxists, we wouldn't have O Blah Blah Care forced on us. Learn a thing or two about how our government is SUPPOSED to work before you bring this weak crap back here.:cool:

DumbAss Tanker
12-13-2011, 11:05 AM

That was mighty damned clever of them, given the fact that for two of the three years of Obama's putrid abortion of a Presidency elapsed so far, the Dems controlled both houses of Congress, and still controlled the senior half for the third year.

As a matter of fact, I seem to recall that they also controlled Congress for the last two years of Bush's Presidency as well.

So, are you saying that every time Obama resorts to that pathetic and shopworn 'Blame Bush' thing, he really ought to be blaming Democrat control of Congress? Well, of course you're not, that would require actually thinking things through instead of going with the 'Being a Liberal' thing.