PDA

View Full Version : Atheist Messages Displace California Park Nativity Scenes

txradioguy
12-14-2011, 06:10 AM
SANTA MONICA, Calif. Atheist messages have displaced most of the Christmas nativity scenes that local churches had placed in a California park for nearly six decades, and the churches say it was a coordinated attack.

Local churches have traditionally claimed 14 of the 21 display spaces to illustrate the story of the birth of Jesus Christ.

But atheists got all but three of the spaces this year because of a new lottery system.

"Our belief is that these new applicants have been working together to displace and push out the nativity scenes from the park, rather than erecting a full display of their own," said Hunter Jameson, a spokesman for a coalition of the city's churches.

The Santa Monica Daily Press reported that churches had little or no competition for the spaces during the past 57 years. This year, 13 people bid for spaces, prompting City Hall to use a random lottery system to allot the spots.

Two individuals got 18 spaces. One person can request a maximum of nine.

Damon Vix is behind the effort.

Last year, he put up a sign quoting Thomas Jefferson: "Religions are all alike -- founded on fables and mythologies." There were also selections on U.S. Supreme Court decisions about the importance of separating church and state.

Vix now helps other atheists populate the park spaces, including American Atheists Inc. and the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/13/atheist-messages-displace-california-park-nativity-scenes/?test=latestnews

txradioguy
12-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Nah...there's no war on Christmas in this country.:rolleyes:

Tipsycatlover
12-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Atheism is to become the state religion. That's the goal. That's the purpose. There is no such thing to atheists as freedom of religion. It is up to the state to suppress religion and replace belief with state power.

noonwitch
12-14-2011, 10:14 AM

There isn't a war on Christmas. There have always been atheists with sticks up their asses over Christmas, challenging public displays or, in this case, taking advantage of a situation to try to make a stupid point. This is nothing new.

What is new, or at least has been around only since FOX news debuted, is this attitude of some Christians that everyone must celebrate CHRISTMAS and any diversion from using the term CHRISTMAS at this time of year is somehow a conspiracy against their way of life.

Odysseus
12-14-2011, 10:38 AM
There isn't a war on Christmas. There have always been atheists with sticks up their asses over Christmas, challenging public displays or, in this case, taking advantage of a situation to try to make a stupid point. This is nothing new.

What is new, or at least has been around only since FOX news debuted, is this attitude of some Christians that everyone must celebrate CHRISTMAS and any diversion from using the term CHRISTMAS at this time of year is somehow a conspiracy against their way of life.

No, the change is that businesses and government have been cowed into eliminating any reference to Christmas by a miniscule but highly radicalized cult of fundamentalist secularists.

The DOD even recognizes atheism as a religion, as demonstrated by the "religious" symbol which can be applied to markers in military cemetaries:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/USVA_headstone_emb-16.svg/452px-USVA_headstone_emb-16.svg.png

marv
12-14-2011, 10:39 AM

Well Noon, THIS atheist gladly helps Christians celebrate Christmas.

Merry Christmas To All

Arroyo_Doble
12-14-2011, 10:43 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/USVA_headstone_emb-16.svg/452px-USVA_headstone_emb-16.svg.png

Looks like a logo for a fictitious 1950's baseball team called the Atoms.

txradioguy
12-14-2011, 11:41 AM
There isn't a war on Christmas

Then explain to me why Christmas Break and Christmas concerts are how Winter Break and Holiday Concert? On everyuthing from the employee calendar at Best But to practically every school calendar across America?

You're right...it's not a war on Christmas its a war on religion period. Or more specifically one particular religion.

This is what an army buddy of mine said about this and I think he sums it up nicely:

I've been trying for years to get people to recognize the difference between Atheist and Anti-theist...this is work of Anti-theist...real atheist wouldn't care what you believe or what public displays go up...they are usually too busy writing long diatribes to Ben Stein...lol

Odysseus
12-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Looks like a logo for a fictitious 1950's baseball team called the Atoms.

It does, but it is actually in use in military cemeteries, and is recognized by the VA and DOD.

Congratulations, man, you've got your own idol!

BTW, as an agnostic, I want to have a big question mark as my symbol. :D

Arroyo_Doble
12-14-2011, 12:18 PM
It does, but it is actually in use in military cemeteries, and is recognized by the VA and DOD.

Congratulations, man, you've got your own idol!

I'm not an atheist.

BTW, as an agnostic, I want to have a big question mark as my symbol. :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/Questionmark.svg/429px-Questionmark.svg.png

noonwitch
12-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Then explain to me why Christmas Break and Christmas concerts are how Winter Break and Holiday Concert? On everyuthing from the employee calendar at Best But to practically every school calendar across America?

You're right...it's not a war on Christmas its a war on religion period. Or more specifically one particular religion.

This is what an army buddy of mine said about this and I think he sums it up nicely:

It's political correctness run amock. The reason why schools use those terms is because there are other holidays in this season-mostly New Year's and Hannukah. Using the term "Holiday Concert" was meant to be inclusive to others, including those who celebrate Christmas in a secular way. Using the term "Holiday Season" includes those other two holidays that fall in the general time period.

I just don't get why some Christians get their panties in such a wad over this. If you still call it Christmas and celebrate the religious aspects of the holiday, why does it matter what terms Macys or Best "But" uses in their advertising or employee calender? Does it change the way you celebrate the holiday?

Tipsycatlover
12-14-2011, 02:53 PM
It's political correctness run amock. The reason why schools use those terms is because there are other holidays in this season-mostly New Year's and Hannukah. Using the term "Holiday Concert" was meant to be inclusive to others, including those who celebrate Christmas in a secular way. Using the term "Holiday Season" includes those other two holidays that fall in the general time period.

I just don't get why some Christians get their panties in such a wad over this. If you still call it Christmas and celebrate the religious aspects of the holiday, why does it matter what terms Macys or Best "But" uses in their advertising or employee calender? Does it change the way you celebrate the holiday?

The goal is to get people to change the way they celebrate this holiday, preferably not celebrating it at all.
George Orwell knew that if you can control the language you control pretty much everything.

Arroyo_Doble
12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
The goal is to get people to change the way they celebrate this holiday, preferably not celebrating it at all.
George Orwell knew that if you can control the language you control pretty much everything.

You have it all wrong. There aren't enough atheists in the world to cause a minute fraction of damage to Christmas that Santa Claus, and the consumer culture, has done.

We were keeping our eye on 1984. When the year came and the prophecy didn't, thoughtful Americans sang softly in praise of themselves. The roots of liberal democracy had held. Wherever else the terror had happened, we, at least, had not been visited by Orwellian nightmares.

But we had forgotten that alongside Orwell's dark vision, there was another - slightly older, slightly less well known, equally chilling: Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Contrary to common belief even among the educated, Huxley and Orwell did not prophesy the same thing. Orwell warns that we will be overcome by an externally imposed oppression. But in Huxley's vision, no Big Brother is required to deprive people of their autonomy, maturity and history. As he saw it, people will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think.

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions". In 1984, Huxley added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we hate will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us.

~ Neil Postman

Tipsycatlover
12-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Either way, you know, the goal is to end any dependency that is not dependency on the government. Christmas at the very least and most consumer oriented base, reminds us that the government is not God.

JB
12-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Looks like a logo for a fictitious 1950's baseball team called the Atoms.They were a Single-A affliate based in Springfield.

Mr. Burns was their first owner.

/end threadjack

JB
12-14-2011, 06:08 PM
...why does it matter what terms Macys or Best "But" uses in their advertising or employee calender?Because they make about a gazillion dollars every year during the Christmas season.

At least have the decency to call it what it is. Hang a Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah sign and stop being hypocrites about it.

Arroyo_Doble
12-14-2011, 06:45 PM
They were a Single-A affliate based in Springfield.

Mr. Burns was their first owner.

/end threadjack

threadjack

You are thinking of the Isotopes.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9_MFST_SBHA/SiLDL0qMWjI/AAAAAAAAAAU/hB2mYVAG31E/s400/isotopes_logo-web.jpg

/threadjack

NJCardFan
12-14-2011, 09:33 PM

The Knights of Columbus put up a sign in Pitman, NJ that said, "Keep Christ in Christmas". An atheist group in Wisconsin is having a hissy fit over it. Yes, you heard that right. Idiots in a state 900 miles away is pitching a fit about a sign in a small town in another state. These people need lives.

NJCardFan
12-14-2011, 09:46 PM

Because these people are hypocrites. I bet, if the situation warrants it and they have to work on 12/25 and where they work pays them overtime just to work on a holiday, they gladly take the money and smile when they do it. If they are people of principle then demand to go to work on that day and not accept the time off for the day but they don't. They want their cake and eat it too.

noonwitch
12-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Because these people are hypocrites. I bet, if the situation warrants it and they have to work on 12/25 and where they work pays them overtime just to work on a holiday, they gladly take the money and smile when they do it. If they are people of principle then demand to go to work on that day and not accept the time off for the day but they don't. They want their cake and eat it too.

I agree that these people are hypocrites who have no lives. I love Christmas, both the Jesus part and the ripping open Santa's presents part. I love the decorations and the music.

But the atheists and Christmas haters have no effect on my love for the holiday. They will never be able to convince American children to not celebrate Christmas, not even if they hold them down a la "A Clockwork Orange" and force them to watch "Gremlins" over and over again, just like they will never be able to stop Coca Cola from using Santa images in their advertising. Christmas is a permanent part of our culture, and that includes Christmas Eve church services and nativity scenes.

AmPat
12-15-2011, 10:26 AM
I guess there was a terrible time long ago where Christians excluded all those other religions? Something had to be done because little Achmed, his seven brothers, and the Stein family recently moved in. The 99% of Christians MUST embrace the others. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE I SAY!:rolleyes:

*Unbunches panties*
Whew, that's better. What matters is that the businesses are bowing to pressure of a few over the desires of the main stream. Atheists are not in the majority in this country (yet), and should not be forcing their minority opinion on the rest of us. The businesses that cave to this pressure should hear about it from us bunched up panties crowd.