PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Carrier

ironhorsedriver
12-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Well, they finally have her at sea on trials.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/12/14/satellite-takes-picture-chinese-carrier-on-move/

Starbuck
12-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Carrier technology, if such a term may be used, is immensely complicated. Maybe some day the Chinese will have a modern carrier, maybe not. It doesn't seem very important to me, and hopefully, it will remain unimportant.

I look for their economic collapse to create more problems than they can solve by making mischief with an aircraft carrier. After all, it's not like the location of a ship like that can be hidden.

AmPat
12-15-2011, 10:59 AM
It will make an impressive eco structure for marine life one day. Just sail it close to Taiwan and do something provocative.

namvet
12-15-2011, 11:30 AM
where's the replenishment and support ships??? rice for you know who and fuel for you know what

Bailey
12-15-2011, 12:39 PM
I am waiting for the magic negro to sell one of the old Nimitz class flattops to the Chicoms just for campaign cash. :rolleyes:

Nubs
12-15-2011, 12:45 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/12/14/satellite-takes-picture-chinese-carrier-on-move/

and the acoustic signature has already been downloaded to all hunter killer subs

Starbuck
12-15-2011, 12:52 PM
and the acoustic signature has already been downloaded to all hunter killer subs

"Acoustic Signature"? Do individual ships have such a thing?

Articulate_Ape
12-15-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm surprised a ship made out of lead even floats.

Zathras
12-15-2011, 04:52 PM
"Acoustic Signature"? Do individual ships have such a thing?

Yes they do. All ships have sounds that are unique to them, such as different machinery and other stuff, that can be detected by the sophisticated sonar suites that our SSN's carry.

Starbuck
12-20-2011, 01:06 PM
*Bump*

"An aircraft so sophisticated that for the first few seconds the pilot is required to hold his right hand in the air clear of the controls and just hang on." Chilling, isn't it? But if China wishes to catch up to the U.S. in carrier technology that is the standard they must meet.

The USS John Stennis. A real carrier. You will be impressed
http://www.dump.com/2011/04/16/one-us-aircraft-carrier-has-a-more-powerful-air-force-than-70-of-all-countries-video/

fettpett
12-22-2011, 11:03 AM
the Chinese Carrier is 30 year old tech on a scrapped Soviet hull

it wouldn't last 15 mins in a fight

txradioguy
12-22-2011, 11:14 AM
the Chinese Carrier is 30 year old tech on a scrapped Soviet hull

it wouldn't last 15 mins in a fight

But against the Taiwanese it would do just fine. We don't have anything that could get there fast enough to ensure it doesn't last 15 minutes.

That and we don't have a President with enough spine to surge the fleet from Japan as a show of force against the Chinese flexing their muscle with this ship.

fettpett
12-22-2011, 11:19 AM
But against the Taiwanese it would do just fine. We don't have anything that could get there fast enough to ensure it doesn't last 15 minutes.

That and we don't have a President with enough spine to surge the fleet from Japan as a show of force against the Chinese flexing their muscle with this ship.

true...but all they need is one SSN and it'd be out of commission pretty quick

txradioguy
12-22-2011, 11:25 AM
true...but all they need is one SSN and it'd be out of commission pretty quick

Agreed. But they've been developing some ultra-quiet diesel boats that have popped up in the middle of our task groups.

I'm not dumping on our guys and their capabilities one bit...but I think that our current leadership have been purposely turning a blind eye to what the Chinese have been doing recently...and ignoring those that have tried to warn that the Chinese are gearing up for a fight...a fight that they don't think we'll try to or be able to stop once it starts.

That is assuming the Chinese don't close one or both ends of the Panama Canal should we need to move east coast ships to the Pacific as back up.

Unleash our fleet and the Chinese would join the rest of the hulks we've sunk in that area over the last 70 years.

But again that's going to have to depend on what the CINC does or does not do when the time comes.

fettpett
12-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Agreed. But they've been developing some ultra-quiet diesel boats that have popped up in the middle of our task groups.

I'm not dumping on our guys and their capabilities one bit...but I think that our current leadership have been purposely turning a blind eye to what the Chinese have been doing recently...and ignoring those that have tried to warn that the Chinese are gearing up for a fight...a fight that they don't think we'll try to or be able to stop once it starts.

That is assuming the Chinese don't close one or both ends of the Panama Canal should we need to move east coast ships to the Pacific as back up.

Unleash our fleet and the Chinese would join the rest of the hulks we've sunk in that area over the last 70 years.

But again that's going to have to depend on what the CINC does or does not do when the time comes.

yeah.

Are they homegrown diesels or Soviet/Russian Kilo's?

SarasotaRepub
12-22-2011, 11:49 AM
*Bump*

"An aircraft so sophisticated that for the first few seconds the pilot is required to hold his right hand in the air clear of the controls and just hang on." Chilling, isn't it? But if China wishes to catch up to the U.S. in carrier technology that is the standard they must meet.

http://www.dump.com/2011/04/16/one-us-aircraft-carrier-has-a-more-powerful-air-force-than-70-of-all-countries-video/

Impressive! :vader:

Novaheart
12-22-2011, 11:54 AM

I think I was expecting something more imperial-Chinese.

These celestials, crafty people.

Novaheart
12-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Are the Taiwanese defenseless? Perhaps they should bring in some Israeli consultants. Israel does well in the David v Goliath scenario.

txradioguy
12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
yeah.

Are they homegrown diesels or Soviet/Russian Kilo's?

Homegrown. Chinese Type 039...code named Song

txradioguy
12-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Are the Taiwanese defenseless? Perhaps they should bring in some Israeli consultants. Israel does well in the David v Goliath scenario.

No they aren't completely defenseless. But the Chinese have been massing missiles and other upgraded equipment across the Formosa Strait since the Clinton Administration and we've done little in the way of giving Taiwan what they have requested to counter it.

And I have to admit your suggestion to ask the IDF for advice is a good one.

Articulate_Ape
12-22-2011, 02:54 PM
*Bump*

That was unbelievably cool, Starbuck. Thanks for sharing.