PDA

View Full Version : Which Christmas Greeting Do You Prefer?

mike128
12-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Please vote honestly in this poll. I just wanted to find out how many Christians on this forum are fed up with politically correct phrases like "holiday tree", "holiday lights" and "Happy Holidays" when purposely used to undermine Christmas. I am personally sick of it!

AmPat
12-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Merry Christmas. If the recipient objects, I say something more appropriate to their personality like; "Up yours you hateful bigot." You know, something that is more commensurate with their feelings?;)

Arroyo_Doble
12-15-2011, 10:20 AM
If someone says, "Merry Christmas" I respond with "Happy Holidays." If they say "Happy Holidays," I respond with "Merry Christmas."

I am a double agent in the War on Christmas.

AmPat
12-15-2011, 11:01 AM
If someone says, "Merry Christmas" I respond with "Happy Holidays." If they say "Happy Holidays," I respond with "Merry Christmas."

I bet you find a lot of kick me signs taped to your back.:eek:

linda22003
12-15-2011, 12:02 PM
On my list of top ten things to worry about, this issue comes in at 7,848.

Bailey
12-15-2011, 12:13 PM

You're a troll in person as well.

Arroyo_Doble
12-15-2011, 12:24 PM
You're a troll in person as well.

If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid.

~ Q

Bailey
12-15-2011, 12:30 PM
If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid.

~ Q

No, I dont go out of my way to be an asshole but it seems like its your mission in life. Is there anyone you agree with? or is your default position disagreement? I hope you are like that to someones face and they give you a bloody nose. Na I have you pegged as a troll, I dont think Q was talking about trolls.

noonwitch
12-15-2011, 02:03 PM
I really don't care wasn't a choice.

I worked retail when I was in college. I got really sick of saying the same thing to each customer, so I'd alternate between "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", and "Happy Hannukah". This was in Grand Rapids, so the last one really didn't apply much, but the dutch reformed love jews, so they kind of liked it.

mike128
12-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Nobody liked "Happy Honda Days??" :D

namvet
12-15-2011, 08:11 PM
nZ6yQgBvuoI

Rockntractor
12-15-2011, 08:14 PM
On my list of top ten things to worry about, this issue comes in at 7,848.

Merry Christmas misuz Numbers.:)

Articulate_Ape
12-15-2011, 09:17 PM
nZ6yQgBvuoI

I love that song.

Articulate_Ape
12-15-2011, 09:22 PM
I am in the habit of saying "Happy Holidays"; a) because I am in sales (and you never know), and b) my wife and her side of the family are Jewish and they celebrate Hanukkah. I was brought up a Christian, but I am an agnostic, so I don't get too wrapped up in stuff that God is probably pretty uninterested in as well.

Lanie
12-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Nobody liked "Happy Honda Days??" :D

I do because I like Hondas.

Kay
12-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Merry Chrisrmas.
Anything else is just wrong.

linda22003
12-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Merry Christmas misuz Numbers.:)

And the same to you, Mr. Piggy. :D

SarasotaRepub
12-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I bet you find a lot of kick me signs taped to your back.:eek:

:rotfl: Not our AD!!!

Hawkgirl
12-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Merry Christmas if I KNOW the person is a christian
Happy Hannukah if I KNOW the person is a jew
Happy Holidays if I am unsure.

Space Gravy
12-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Whenever someone says one of those to me I reply with "you too".

Teetop
12-17-2011, 11:08 AM
I am agnostic, but after all, it IS Christmas...

Novaheart
12-17-2011, 11:36 AM
I like "Merry Christmas" because it's a traditional greeting or wish. I view Christmas as both a religious holy day, and a national holiday; an indisputable part of our national culture. In that context, "Happy Holidays" seems so contrived.

I have never understood what hostility there is to this greeting. It is not disrespectful of a non-Christian or a non-American to wish them a Merry Christmas. While often well meaning, the Salvation Army bell ringers' habit of making personal religious wishes and remarks is indeed rude. You don't tell a complete stranger to "Praise Jesus" anymore than you would like being told to "praise allah". It's rude, it simply is. Of course, it's somewhat less rude than "go fuck yourself", so all things need to be taken in context. We also allow that the bell ringers do not tend to appear to be the most genteel folk, so we can make allowances for the occasional invocation I suppose.

Novaheart
12-17-2011, 11:37 AM

I used to, but the Honda Ridgeline shook my faith.

mike128
12-17-2011, 07:15 PM
The "Happy Honda Days" and "Hyundai Holidays" commercials have gotten so annoying, that I don't ever see myself buying either a Honda or a Hyundai. Maybe I'll reconsider if they do a Christmas commercial.

Years ago, I used to always complain that Christmas was too commercialized. Then when advertisers started doing this politically correct "holiday" BS, that seemed even worse!

Wei Wu Wei
12-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Merry Christmas most of the time, unless I'm talking to mixed company that may celebrate different holidays, or if I know someone doesn't celebrate Christmas, or if someone says "happy holidays" to me first.

Most people I see celebrate Christmas so that's my default but this is a nice time of year and I don't want to make my acquaintances feel excluded so I'm mindful of politeness.

Wei Wu Wei
12-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Also I think this "War on Christmas" stuff is pure hysteria.

Rockntractor
12-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Actually since holiday means holy day either is good.

Rockntractor
12-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Also I think this "War on Christmas" stuff is pure hysteria.

Do you seriously think any of us care what you think?:rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
12-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't be concerned about making a totally non-religious anti-holiday person offended, but I wouldn't want to give off the impression that I'm devaluing someone's religious holiday. So, like rock said, holy-days are fine if I'm being general, Christmas or other specific holidays are fine if I'm being specific.

Wei Wu Wei
12-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Do you seriously think any of us care what you think?:rolleyes:

I think you are asking me this question for a reason ;)

cowboyjack
12-18-2011, 10:55 AM
I say "Merry Christmas" and I am not even a Christian. I am acknowaging (is that a word) the season and it has nothing to do with my beliefs.

mike128
12-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Notice that 23 people responded to this poll, and of those 23, only one person preferred "happy holidays". The other 22 preferred "Merry Christmas". Other scientific surveys have also shown that the vast majority of Americans prefer "Merry Christmas" over "happy holidays".

What are these car manufacturers thinking? There are many times that I take offense to the phrase "happy holidays", especially when it is deliberately used as a substitute for "Merry Christmas". Nobody can ever expect to sell me a car in an ad with Christmas trees where the people in it say "happy holidays".

I sometimes think the best response to "happy holidays" is "same to you". This way here, it politely acknowledges the greeting while completely flattening it out.

CueSi
12-21-2011, 01:54 AM
If I'm at work, Happy Holidays unless the person says Merry Christmas. Then I say Merry Christmas.

Outside of work, you're lucky I'm friendly to you, but if I am, Merry Christmas.

It's funny, at the adult bookstore I worked at, Merry Christmas was the preferred greeting. :p

~QC

RobJohnson
12-21-2011, 02:12 AM
I use Merry Christmas when they are spending money on Christmas related items and the older people without family in the area really enjoy my voice wishing them a Merry Christmas. I even had my athiest boss telling customers "Merry Christmas" today, he told another co-worker " I think Rob is rubbing off on me, I'm getting into the Christmas spirit" :D

I know many Jewish people that celebrate Christmas as a Holiday...they simply see the day as a celebration of the birth of the greatest prophet that ever lived.

I am also happy to report there is not one synagogue in my town. :)