PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: Iran hijacked US drone, says Iranian engineer

Rockntractor
12-15-2011, 01:48 PM
In an exclusive interview, an engineer working to unlock the secrets of the captured RQ-170 Sentinel says they exploited a known vulnerability and tricked the US drone into landing in Iran.

By Scott Peterson, Staff writer, Payam Faramarzi*, Correspondent / December 15, 2011

Istanbul, Turkey

Iran guided the CIA's "lost" stealth drone to an intact landing inside hostile territory by exploiting a navigational weakness long-known to the US military, according to an Iranian engineer now working on the captured drone's systems inside Iran.

Read More>http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/1215/Exclusive-Iran-hijacked-US-drone-says-Iranian-engineer

noonwitch
12-15-2011, 02:35 PM
If this is true, the Iranians are really bad at keeping secrets.

Starbuck
12-15-2011, 02:41 PM

If it were true, we'd all see the intact landing gear.

marv
12-15-2011, 03:21 PM
From the CSMonitor article...

(snip)

US officials skeptical of Iran’s capabilities blame a malfunction, but so far can't explain how Iran acquired the drone intact. One American analyst ridiculed Iran’s capability, telling Defense News that the loss was “like dropping a Ferrari into an ox-cart technology culture.”

(snip)

The US military has sought for years to fortify or find alternatives to the GPS system of satellites, which are used for both military and civilian purposes. In 2003, a “Vulnerability Assessment Team” at Los Alamos National Laboratory published research explaining how weak GPS signals were easily overwhelmed with a stronger local signal.

“A more pernicious attack involves feeding the GPS receiver fake GPS signals so that it believes it is located somewhere in space and time that it is not,” reads the Los Alamos report. “In a sophisticated spoofing attack, the adversary would send a false signal reporting the moving target’s true position and then gradually walk the target to a false position.”

The vulnerability remains unresolved, and a paper presented at a Chicago communications security conference in October laid out parameters for successful spoofing of both civilian and military GPS units to allow a "seamless takeover" of drones or other targets.

(snip)

This is an example of some very bad thinking on our part. Iran has some very capable scientists and technicians.

Articulate_Ape
12-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Remember this little mishap (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/virus-hits-drone-fleet/)? I wonder if there's any connection.

Starbuck
12-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Remember this little mishap (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/virus-hits-drone-fleet/)? I wonder if there's any connection.

Could be. Interesting article.
The information contained within the article showed how effective the drone is, though, and I guess we have to expect some failures and losses along the way.

I expect, too, that it will all be handled one way or the other. We upgrade capabilities, 'they' engineer a catch-up.

The "dropping a Ferrari into an ox-cart technology culture" comment was interesting because that's how I see it. When you get into the electronics of military equipment there is simply nothing to see. Integrated circuits are not labeled in any meaningful way, and some circuits are potted (encased) with plastic. Other than creating hysteria and concern, I don't see how having the drone could result in anything worthwhile for Iran or anyone else.

Ranger Rick
12-15-2011, 09:12 PM
There is also a separate set of military GPS signals that are encrypted. I don't think they are going to spoof it.

THE Gypsy
12-15-2011, 09:50 PM

If this is true...We're fucked.

Rockntractor
12-15-2011, 10:36 PM
We're fucked.

I think that is an accurate assessment.

Odysseus
12-15-2011, 11:44 PM
In an exclusive interview, an engineer working to unlock the secrets of the captured RQ-170 Sentinel says they exploited a known vulnerability and tricked the US drone into landing in Iran.

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/053105_rg_20CGRobots_02.jpg
Works every time... :D

Arroyo_Doble
12-16-2011, 10:16 AM
There are a few things interesting about that picture (the "stockings" for example) but the one that stands out for me is that the breast profile looks more real than a lot of American breasts.