PDA

View Full Version : Bootleg liquor containing toxic methanol kills 143 people in east India;

Rockntractor
12-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Bootleg liquor containing toxic methanol killed 143 people and sickened dozens more

AP Story, go to link>http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia-pacific/batch-of-bootleg-liquor-laced-with-toxic-methanol-kills-102-people-in-eastern-india/2011/12/15/gIQAxnGUvO_story.html?hpid=z4

I put some in lawn mower, run fine, give to wife , she die.:confused:(not in story)

noonwitch
12-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Bootleggers of Appalachia: India needs your help!

What does a society made up of mostly Hindus and Muslims know about making safe alcohol? This is an area in which the US can't be topped. One of my friends' grandfather used to make shine in Kentucky-she brought us some. It was clear and smooth, and I was out like a light. But I didn't die from it.

obx
12-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Even if you have an all copper still ( something I doubt they have in the slums of India) you should not drink the first or last gal of a run. The "heads and tails" can be used for fuel or added to the next run to be re-distilled. It sounds like they had more problems than this, however.They may have used an old radiator for a worm. This can result in lead and all sorts of other shit in the end product.

Rockntractor
12-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Even if you have an all copper still ( something I doubt they have in the slums of India) you should not drink the first or last gal of a run. The "heads and tails" can be used for fuel or added to the next run to be re-distilled. It sounds like they had more problems than this, however.They may have used an old radiator for a worm. This can result in lead and all sorts of other shit in the end product.

You should always test it on liberals first like noonies friend does!

noonwitch
12-15-2011, 04:21 PM
You should always test it on liberals first like noonies friend does!

LOL-the old man tested it on his pigs, first.

Her grandpa had been a successful moonshiner for 50 years before I had a taste of the product. He knew what he was doing. It's unfortunate the family recipe was lost with his death.

DumbAss Tanker
12-15-2011, 04:56 PM

Yup! There are a lot of light fractions that come off of it in those 'Heads and tails,' with a boiling point very close to that of ethanol, including some residual methanol, that's some pretty sound advice. From the number affected here, though, it sounds like a somewhat different problem...or one Hell of a giant batch!

JB
12-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Even if you have an all copper still ( something I doubt they have in the slums of India) you should not drink the first or last gal of a run. The "heads and tails" can be used for fuel or added to the next run to be re-distilled. It sounds like they had more problems than this, however.They may have used an old radiator for a worm. This can result in lead and all sorts of other shit in the end product.You really can learn something new everyday. :D

THE Gypsy
12-15-2011, 06:10 PM
OOOOOOOOOO! Moonshiners in da house! http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/Bithiah_photo/Smilies/Girl%20Smilies/smilie_girl_096.gif

THE Gypsy
12-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Sad story. http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/Bithiah_photo/Smilies/Girl%20Smilies/smilie_girl_188.gif

From the linky...

...Emergency medical teams rushed to the village outside Kolkata, and thousands of relatives, many of them wailing in grief, gathered outside the packed hospital. Inside, dead bodies lay on the floor covered in quilts, while the ill waited on staircases to be treated. Groups of men sat in the halls with saline drips running into their arms.

...The hooch, often mixed with cheap chemicals to increase potency and profit, causes illness and death sometimes and occasionally mass carnage.

...they bought for 10 rupees (20 cents) a half liter,

...Drinking alcohol contains ethanol, whereas highly toxic methanol a clear liquid that can be used as fuel, solvent or antifreeze can induce comas and cause blindness and is deadly in high doses.

Methanol?!?! Dear God in heaven...

CueSi
12-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Bootleggers of Appalachia: India needs your help!

What does a society made up of mostly Hindus and Muslims know about making safe alcohol? This is an area in which the US can't be topped. One of my friends' grandfather used to make shine in Kentucky-she brought us some. It was clear and smooth, and I was out like a light. But I didn't die from it.

This. Next time some politico wants to get cozy with India, send moonshiners. I know there are like at least 10 we can spare. Then again, if we show them how, we'll end up outsourcing this shit.

~QC

Odysseus
12-15-2011, 11:40 PM
LOL-the old man tested it on his pigs, first.

Pigs, liberals... whatever. :D

AmPat
12-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I wonder if the next 143 cows born will have fetal alcohol syndrome?:eek: