PDA

View Full Version : Senior N.J. corrections officer hospitalized

NJCardFan
12-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Senior N.J. corrections officer hospitalized

A senior corrections officer was hospitalized this morning after he was assaulted at South Woods State Prison in Bridgeton.
Corrections officials said the officer, who was assaulted shortly after 10 a.m., was rushed to the hospital with injuries that are not life-threatening.
In a press release, local 105 of the Policemen's Benevolent Association termed the attack "serious'' and said it occurred in one of the housing units at the prison. It said the officer, who was not identified, was airlifted to Cooper University Hospital in Camden.
The incident is under investigation by corrections' special investigations division. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/12/senior_nj_corrections_officer.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just want to let you all know that he's doing well. I can't give any details because it's still under investigation but this is at the prison I work. Worse yet, this could have been me. I bid on this job a few months ago and this guy beat me out of the bid. Things like this remind me that we have to be diligent. Sometimes I forget how dangerous my job really is.

Kay
12-17-2011, 12:30 AM
He will be in my prayers. And so will you NJCard . As they say,
some of God's greatest gifts are the unanswered prayers.
Not getting that job may have saved your life.

NJCardFan
12-17-2011, 12:58 AM
He will be in my prayers. And so will you NJCard . As they say,
some of God's greatest gifts are the unanswered prayers.
Not getting that job may have saved your life.

Well, at least saved me an ass whoopin.

Novaheart
12-17-2011, 03:13 AM
Senior N.J. corrections officer hospitalized

Just want to let you all know that he's doing well. I can't give any details because it's still under investigation but this is at the prison I work. Worse yet, this could have been me. I bid on this job a few months ago and this guy beat me out of the bid. Things like this remind me that we have to be diligent. Sometimes I forget how dangerous my job really is.

Glad it wasn't you. I wish you guys were allowed to make sure it didn't happen again.

AmPat
12-17-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm hoping that they have an in-house program that is highly effect in correcting these incidents.

NJCardFan
12-17-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm hoping that they have an in-house program that is highly effect in correcting these incidents.

They don't. That's the problem. They keep cutting positions. On housing units, we're 124:1. This type of incident isn't likely to happen with another person on the tier. Not that 124:2 changes the odds, however, it gives another pair of eyes. When he was assaulted, it was done out of the view of anyone. They knew where they wanted to jump him. If the officer reliving him for his break didn't walk through the door when they did, we'd be draping the black curtain outside. The commissioner and our administration could care less about our safety. We're not even in the top 5 when it comes to the department's concerns. We're expendable.

AmPat
12-17-2011, 01:46 PM
They don't. That's the problem. They keep cutting positions. On housing units, we're 124:1. This type of incident isn't likely to happen with another person on the tier. Not that 124:2 changes the odds, however, it gives another pair of eyes. When he was assaulted, it was done out of the view of anyone. They knew where they wanted to jump him. If the officer reliving him for his break didn't walk through the door when they did, we'd be draping the black curtain outside. The commissioner and our administration could care less about our safety. We're not even in the top 5 when it comes to the department's concerns. We're expendable.

Sorry to hear that. This (the ratio), sounds like a funding issue. OK, let's embrace that. Funding is tight. .38 caliber bullets are cheap. Roll the tape, ID the attackers, and administer a high speed lead injection to the space that supposedly contains the brain.:cool:

SaintLouieWoman
12-17-2011, 05:53 PM
It's tough on law enforcement all over. The STLPD lost a young officer on a solo patrol through the bad streets. They formerly had 2 officers in a squad car, but budget cuts made them go alone.

They're are so many places where they can do budget cuts that don't jeopardize the lives of those whose job is to protect us.

NJCardFan
12-17-2011, 11:35 PM
It's tough on law enforcement all over. The STLPD lost a young officer on a solo patrol through the bad streets. They formerly had 2 officers in a squad car, but budget cuts made them go alone.

They're are so many places where they can do budget cuts that don't jeopardize the lives of those whose job is to protect us.

They'll cut us but make sure the welfare slobs get what they need.

SaintLouieWoman
12-17-2011, 11:51 PM
They'll cut us but make sure the welfare slobs get what they need.
I thought the governor would treat you better than that. That's what I expect of Obama.

I can identify with your apprehension of the dangers connected with your job. I sold office equipment to the feds and city governments for years. I had to go into some very dangerous neighborhoods in St Louis, when made sales calls at the police and fire departments. The Corrections Department was also my account. I had equipment in 3 correction facilities in the mean streets of St Louis. It doesn't make the list of most dangerous cities in the US for nothing. I'm glad I stopped doing it. 30 years of that job was probably 30 years too many. I've had some narrow calls, but it did tend to build courage, probably false, and guts.