PDA

View Full Version : Any runners out there?

AmPat
12-17-2011, 01:33 PM
I took the plunge and entered the Rock and Roll Phoenix (half) marathon. I am coming off a knee problem and so far it feels good. The rest of my body now hates my guts. The guts aren't too happy neither.

I would appreciate any advice or web sites from some real runners. I'm an (old) intermediate runner so far but I'd like to run a series of half marathons with the goal of a full 26.2 this year. I run around 8:30s per mile but want to be around 8 flat per mile by mid summer.

Oh, I live in the Colorado mountains so I have to use the treadmill indoors for much of the winter.

AmPat
12-19-2011, 07:14 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/10zqwee.gif

http://i44.tinypic.com/2e4lxdt.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/25up0d2.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2enrv4j.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/256sqwk.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/27y0o79.jpg

Hawkgirl
12-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Why run when the remote control was invented decades ago?

AmPat
12-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Why run when the remote control was invented decades ago?

Eat another chip young lady and back away slowly.:p

Kay
12-19-2011, 11:48 PM
This whole conversation makes me feel really tired. :(

I've slacked way off this past year for lack of time,
but like to do 5 miles a day on my treadmill. One of
my New Year's resolutions is to get back on that daily.

djones520
12-20-2011, 12:53 AM
You mentioned coming off a knee injury, so how hard are you jumping into it?

I've been dealing with chronic leg issues myself, so I've had to do some alternatives to keep my cardio going strong. My trainer has had me doing a hard cross training regimen that's been doing a good job of it. If you are just starting out I would suggest doing something along those lines to help build your cardio abilities up without providing extra stress to the knee.

Work on the Stair Climber and Elliptical machines. Keep cranking the resistance up and pushing yourself harder and longer. My trainer told me that when he was deployed he did 90% of his half marathon training on cross training machines like those.

AmPat
12-20-2011, 09:38 AM
I run a 12 mile every Saturday and do speed work on the treadmill during the week. I do some cross training on stair climber and elliptical as well as bike ride. The last bike ride was steady uphill for 10 miles. It should have been 13 miles but the rear hub exploded and I had to push it the last three miles.

Doc says I'm not likely to further damage the knee by running and if I can stand the pain, go for it.

jendf
12-22-2011, 05:36 PM
I did a couple of 5K's but the running was just too hard on my knees so I quit. Congrats on signing up for the race! If you are running 12 miles on the weekends, I think you will be OK in the race.

AmPat
12-23-2011, 11:21 AM
I did a couple of 5K's but the running was just too hard on my knees so I quit. Congrats on signing up for the race! If you are running 12 miles on the weekends, I think you will be OK in the race.
Oh, I'll cover the miles alright. I want to improve. Part of my problem is my 53 year old body is struggling with my 19 year old brain and I want to run the speeds I used to run. This year I plan to get from the 8:30's to the 8 minutes flat miles. The Captain wants more power but Scotty is bitching all the time.:o

AmPat
01-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Another 12 miler yesterday and I finally found some reserve speed in the last three or four miles. This despite the cold from hell.:)

Rockntractor
01-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Maybe after my nap.:confused:

Molon Labe
01-01-2012, 01:00 PM
I don't run more than 3 miles at any time. I run two to three times a week....usually. I hate running but know how good it is for me. I have two puppies now that take up alot of time, so I haven't been too faithful.
I don't know if I could ever run more than 5 miles at one time.

Rockntractor
01-01-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't run more than 3 miles at any time. I run two to three times a week....usually. I hate running but know how good it is for me. I have two puppies now that take up alot of time, so I haven't been too faithful.
I don't know if I could ever run more than 5 miles at one time.

It has been so long since I've been chaste I haven't had the need.:confused:

AmPat
01-02-2012, 11:22 AM
It has been so long since I've been chaste I haven't had the need.:confused:
I'm going to look up OK marathons. Perhaps there is an annual running of the pigs day?

AmPat
01-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I began researching the San Fran marathon today. It is in late July and I'd like to run it. The cost is a factor. Any good ideas?

Kay
01-05-2012, 08:57 PM
The cost is a factor. Any good ideas?

Run in honor of someone or some group. Then ask for sponsors to donate,
with all the left over money to go to the charity or benefit of the person you
run for. That will help cover the costs.

Rockntractor
01-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I began researching the San Fran marathon today. It is in late July and I'd like to run it. The cost is a factor. Any good ideas?

Don't pay, get a sign that says occupy the marathon and if they try to kick you out cry and scream and call them evil racist 1%ers.

AmPat
01-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Run in honor of someone or some group. Then ask for sponsors to donate,
with all the left over money to go to the charity or benefit of the person you
run for. That will help cover the costs.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Don't pay, get a sign that says occupy the marathon and if they try to kick you out cry and scream and call them evil racist 1%ers.
Good idea. Will I be comfy though?

Rockntractor
01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Good idea. Will I be comfy though?

They will provide for your every need and probably give you a head start.
If they offer to get you some companionship just say no!:eek:

AmPat
01-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Update:
I leave for Phoenix Friday to run Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon. I ran sub 8's on my last 5 mile workout. Now I need to sustain those speeds over 13.1 miles. Maybe by year's end???:o

Artois
01-19-2012, 12:44 AM
I just picked up a treadmill a few months ago, to start. I'm actually using it too!

For the life of me, I can not maintain a pace or constant HR while running outside.

AmPat
01-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I just picked up a treadmill a few months ago, to start. I'm actually using it too!

For the life of me, I can not maintain a pace or constant HR while running outside.

Try running with someone for pace. Also, the HR is not really important to me but I just bought a GPS watch that has that feature. I'm going to give it a try once I figure it out. I believe it comes with a certificate to college for classes on how to use it.:(

The Treadmill is great for bad days and I use it but I detest it. Sort of a love-hate relationship. Im gratefl and glad I have it but don't enjoy it. I much prefer running 12 miles outside versus 3 miles inside.