PDA

View Full Version : Major winter storm brewing for southwestern U.S.

SarasotaRepub
12-18-2011, 09:15 AM
White Stuff coming!!! (http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/17/us/winter-storm/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

By Sean Morris, CNN
updated 12:18 AM EST, Sun December 18, 2011

(CNN) -- An early season winter storm is brewing in the Southwest and is expected to bring blizzard conditions and heavy snow accumulations of over a foot to the southern High Plains on Monday, making travel across the region dangerous, if not impossible.

Winter storm watches were issued by the National Weather Service on Saturday for much of New Mexico, the panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma, extreme northwestern Oklahoma, southeastern Colorado, and southwestern and south-central Kansas.

Between 12 and 15 inches of snow is expected to fall on portions of the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles bringing near-blizzard-like conditions to the area Monday.

The heaviest snowfall and strongest winds are expected Monday morning through Monday night and Tuesday, the weather service said.

JB
12-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Looks like this guy is winning this year:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yLfZGJB5wZU/Ti4ktfaEAwI/AAAAAAAADbg/r0BoBqx0H_w/s400/Cold_Miser.jpg

Rockntractor
12-18-2011, 04:34 PM
It won't come here, we have agreed not to participate in the snow this year.

Chuck58
12-18-2011, 10:44 PM
We're only predicted to get about 5 inches out of it. It's going south and east of us. The last time they predicted 3-5 inches here, a couple of weeks ago, we got 18 inches.

Kay
12-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Looks like it will stay just north of me.
We will just get the cold wind off of it most likely.

Starbuck
12-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Looks like it will stay just north of me.
We will just get the cold wind off of it most likely.
Feller told me one time that it is so flat in Lubbock, TX, that he could stand on a tuna can, look North and see the back of his head.:D

Midland is a little different, I guess.;)

Kay
12-19-2011, 02:10 AM
Midland is a little different, I guess.;)

Yeah, we can do that without the tuna can. :)

NJCardFan
12-19-2011, 02:12 AM
In the last 6 months, we've had a torrential rain storm that washed away roads and crashed dams to the point where we have lakes with no water in them(and flooded my basement), an earthquake, and a hurricane(that flooded my basement). I don't have the strength for a blizzard.

djones520
12-19-2011, 02:37 AM
In the last 6 months, we've had a torrential rain storm that washed away roads and crashed dams to the point where we have lakes with no water in them(and flooded my basement), an earthquake, and a hurricane(that flooded my basement). I don't have the strength for a blizzard.

It's right at the very edge of the models right now, but from what i'm seeing, I'd start making plans.

SaintLouieWoman
12-19-2011, 02:04 PM
It's right at the very edge of the models right now, but from what i'm seeing, I'd start making plans.
What about the St Louis area? Any big storms heading your way?

djones520
12-19-2011, 02:28 PM
What about the St Louis area? Any big storms heading your way?

I think it's supposed to be mostly rain for us. All the moisture will be through before we get blasted with the cold air. There is rumor of snow on Christmas day though.