PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Police: Officer Fired 7 Shots Into Vetís Car

RobJohnson
12-19-2011, 03:03 PM
LAS VEGAS ó Las Vegas police said Friday that a patrol officer fired seven shots with a military-style AR-15 assault rifle into an immobilized car, killing an unarmed Gulf War veteran in a shooting that has drawn calls for a federal investigation of department policies and practices.

One officer fired the fatal shots after another officer with a shotgun fired a non-lethal beanbag shell at the window of Stanley Lavon Gibson's vehicle, according to police accounts.

Gibson's car was pinned ó with its tires spinning and smoking ó between patrol cruisers after a standoff that lasted for more than an hour in the parking lot of a northwest Las Vegas apartment complex. Police say the idea was for the beanbag to break the window so another officer could use pepper spray to force Gibson out of the car

Story Here (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_162-57344553/vegas-police-officer-fired-7-shots-into-vets-car/)

Nubs
12-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Should it not read "Fired shot into a car killing the driver who happened to be a Gulf War vet"?

Unarmed is not actually true as he was still trying to operate a vehicle as tires were "spinning and smoking".

Quick word of advice, if cops stop you, put hands at 10 and 2 and comply with the orders given. This will help you from getting shot.

djones520
12-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Should it not read "Fired shot into a car killing the driver who happened to be a Gulf War vet"?

Unarmed is not actually true as he was still trying to operate a vehicle as tires were "spinning and smoking".

Quick word of advice, if cops stop you, put hands at 10 and 2 and comply with the orders given. This will help you from getting shot.

But the vehicle was pinned, so risk was minimal. Hardly worth meeting with deadly force. Especially when they were enacting a plan to use less lethal measures.

And I'm just saying this based on what was said in the story. I'm sure there are more facts, but given what the story says, this is hardly looking good for the police.

Yes, one should always try to remain calm and practice restraint when dealing with law enforcement, but just because you have a badge you do not have the right to use undue force.

RobJohnson
12-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Las Vegas has had some problems as of late....

Police officer accused of beating videographer fired

A Las Vegas officer accused of beating a man for videotaping police was fired Monday after a lengthy inquiry into his actions.

Officer Derek Colling was terminated after an eight-month investigation into the March 20 confrontation between him and videographer Mitchell Crooks.

Internal investigators concluded in July that Colling, a six-year veteran, violated several Metropolitan Police Department policies. Police did not release the specific policy violations.

The officer had been on paid suspension since April 1.
You're Fired (http://www.lvrj.com/news/police-officer-accused-of-beating-videographer-fired-135517113.html)

NJCardFan
12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
We're not permitted to shot at any vehicle if the tires are moving. What if the car broke free and mowed some people down? Honestly, the use of force rules in different parts of the country baffle me.

Bailey
12-20-2011, 01:42 PM
We're not permitted to shot at any vehicle if the tires are moving. What if the car broke free and mowed some people down? Honestly, the use of force rules in different parts of the country baffle me.

I thought cops could shoot at cars if a cops life is in danger, that is if hes about to be run over?

NJCardFan
12-20-2011, 01:54 PM
I thought cops could shoot at cars if a cops life is in danger, that is if hes about to be run over?

That is a last resort, however, in this case the car was already pinned. But one thing I need to point out and this is always perpetrated by the msm. Why do they feel the need to tell of the perps veteran status? It's not like being in the armed forces grants you any kind of immunity or automatically makes you a saint. There are assholes in the military too.

Wei Wu Wei
12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
That is a last resort, however, in this case the car was already pinned. But one thing I need to point out and this is always perpetrated by the msm. Why do they feel the need to tell of the perps veteran status? It's not like being in the armed forces grants you any kind of immunity or automatically makes you a saint. There are assholes in the military too.

You're right being in the military doesn't automatically make you a saint, but they mention it as a rhetorical device to counteract the assumption in so many people's minds that being in the police force grants you immunity or makes you some kind of saint.

There are millions of people who just always side with police, always make excuses for every action, and when a story like this comes up they say "well police have a hard job" or "that criminal must have done something to warrant that action". Mentioning that the person is a vet short-circuits this non-thinking reflex.

I think people need a dose of reality and understand that a person in a uniform is still just a person with all the same flaws and limitations and they should be treated with respect but not immunity or unconditional reverence.

RobJohnson
12-21-2011, 02:19 AM
The guy had a disability and was freaking out. It's called PTSD, it's real.

NJCardFan
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
The guy had a disability and was freaking out. It's called PTSD, it's real.

And to play devil's advocate, the police officers in this case are not mindreaders. It isn't like they can yell time out to check out his mental status. It's like in my job, when an inmate goes all batshit, it's not like we have the time to first check to see if he's special needs. However, I still question the need to riddle the man's car with bullets when the car was at a standstill.

Retread
12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
With over 60 years being involved with law enforcement at all levels from city marshall to interpol my single response is the cop should be prosecuted for a minimum of manslaughter.