PDA

View Full Version : Australia's 'Malaysia Solution' blocked by High Court

txradioguy
12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
A controversial Australian plan to “swap” hundreds of asylum seekers with Malaysia has been left in disarray after the country’s High Court ruled in favour of refugee advocates who claimed that the deal was illegal.

The agreement, which was signed in July, was intended to deter thousands of asylum seekers from travelling to the remote Australian territory of Christmas Island by boat from Indonesia, and prove that Julia Gillard’s government was capable of getting tough on border protection.

The terms of the deal stipulated that the first 800 asylum seekers to arrive would be sent to “the back of the queue” in Malaysian detention centres for processing. In exchange, Malaysia would send 4000 certified refugees to Australia.

But the plan was deeply unpopular with refugee and human rights groups and earlier this month lawyers representing asylum seekers from the first boat to arrive under the new regulations launched a challenge in the High Court.

They argued that Malaysia was not a signatory to the UN Refugee Convention and therefore could not guarantee the protection of asylum seekers sent from Australia, including unaccompanied children. The government had not expected the challenge to succeed. But it did.

Explaining its ruling, the High Court said that under Australian law the government could not send asylum-seekers to any country that could not adequately protect them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/8732810/Australias-Malaysia-Solution-blocked-by-High-Court.html

txradioguy
12-20-2011, 12:51 PM
So since Sonna doesn't seem to like the way Arizona and Sheriff Arpaio deals with the problem of illegals...perhaps we could use them as the "third country" to dump our illegals in like they want to do to some other random pacific rim country in order to get rid of their Malaysian illegals. Think that the ranga running Australia right now could help us ship them to East Timor like they are?

Adam Wood
12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
So since Sonna doesn't seem to like the way Arizona and Sheriff Arpaio deals with the problem of illegals...perhaps we could use them as the "third country" to dump our illegals in like they want to do to some other random pacific rim country in order to get rid of their Malaysian illegals. Think that the ranga running Australia right now could help us ship them to East Timor like they are?Well, shit, it's not like Australia isn't used to having undesirables shipped there. :D

::runs like hell::

Sonnabend
12-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Hey tx, nice to see you noticed, by the way, as a soldier, I am curious as to how you reconcile or justify that attitude, with the fact what Arpaio is doing is against the basic rights laid down in the Constitution?

Or are you in Bailey's camp, and believe that the US Constitution is not the law of the land?

. Think that the ranga running Australia right now could help us ship them to East Timor like they are? BZZZT

No one is being shipped to East Timor. FAIL.

Have to head for work now. See you all tonight.

txradioguy
12-21-2011, 05:05 AM
Well, shit, it's not like Australia isn't used to having undesirables shipped there. :D

::runs like hell::

Once a prison colony....

txradioguy
12-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Hey tx, nice to see you noticed, by the way, as a soldier, I am curious as to how you reconcile or justify that attitude, with the fact what Arpaio is doing is against the basic rights laid down in the Constitution?

Lay off the piss and ask that question again when you're sober mate.

Or are you in Bailey's camp, and believe that the US Constitution is not the law of the land?

I defend it every day you wanker. That a two headed Tazmanian like yourself doesn't understand the Constitution of the United States doesn't surprise me.

BZZZT

No one is being shipped to East Timor. FAIL.

ONLY because for now the high court has blocked it.

Have to head for work now. See you all tonight.

Making more Workers Party propaganda leaflets are we champ?

Sonnabend
12-21-2011, 06:11 AM
1. I live in NSW, not Tasmania.
2. I dont drink.
3. The High Court blocked the transfer to Malaysia.
4. East Timor is not in Malaysia. Never has been.
5. They are two separate nations, thousands of miles apart.

But please, dont let me interrupt, you'll get it right one of these days....

txradioguy
12-21-2011, 06:50 AM
1. I live in NSW, not Tasmania.

Could have fooled me by your loud obnoxious rantings about things you no nothing about.

And how very Linda #'s of you. You also spell Defense with a "c" and apologized with an "s".

Your point?

2. I dont drink.

Then you're dipping into your own medical kit.

3. The High Court blocked the transfer to Malaysia.

For now. We'll see how much more you and the rest of the Workers Party push the ranga to let illegals run free.

4. East Timor is not in Malaysia. Never has been.

Nope. Already knew that. But it is where your country wants to stick their illegals.

5. They are two separate nations, thousands of miles apart.

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Yes or no...has your country tried to "solve" it's illegal immigrant population by forcing East Timor to accept an immigration detention facility on their land?

But please, dont let me interrupt, you'll get it right one of these days....

Champ that is what is absolutely right...you're pissed because I AM getting it right...and it's killing you.

If I wasn't...you wouldn't be tossing out all of the straw men that you just did.

Sonnabend
12-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Yes or no...has your country tried to "solve" it's illegal immigrant population by forcing East Timor to accept an immigration detention facility on their land?

Actually, what happened was that the ranga tried to foist a fait accompli on the President, Ramos-Horta, who promptly told her where to shove it. Gotta love that guy.

And how very Linda #'s of you. You also spell Defense with a "c" and apologized with an "s".

Defence is spelled with a "c", not an "s". The "s" is an American idiom, not mine.

Could have fooled me by your loud obnoxious rantings about things you no nothing about.

I know a great deal more than you imagine.

Then you're dipping into your own medical kit.

Just wondering what kind of conservative defends the actions of a man who has violated the Constitution you say you revere.

For now. We'll see how much more you and the rest of the Workers Party push the ranga to let illegals run free.

I am in favour of Mr Howard's policies, the same ones Gillard and Rudd junked and left us with this current mess. It is a temporary issue in any case. Come the next election, Labor will face the same rout on a Federal level as the one on a State level.

Champ that is what is absolutely right...you're pissed because I AM getting it right...and it's killing you.

So tell me, enquiring minds want to know, and this is at the heart of this whole issue.

Do you, or do you not, agree with Bailey that the US Constitution, and specifically the 4th amendment, can be summarily disregarded, and as he so poetically put it

"Cant make an omelette without breaking a few eggs"..which then begs the question, to whom else would this "exception" to the Bill of Rights apply?

Do you seriously agree and consent to the arbitrary arrest, detention and search of US citizens without charge or probable cause?

txradioguy
12-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Just wondering what kind of conservative defends the actions of a man who has violated the Constitution you say you revere.

The kind that has actually studied the U.S. Constitution and understands what is says you blithering idiot.

I am in favour of Mr Howard's policies, the same ones Gillard and Rudd junked and left us with this current mess. It is a temporary issue in any case. Come the next election, Labor will face the same rout on a Federal level as the one on a State level

Sure you are. You're spouting open borders Worker's Party crap left and right.

You're just upset cause I've got you pegged.

So tell me, enquiring minds want to know, and this is at the heart of this whole issue.

Do you, or do you not, agree with Bailey that the US Constitution, and specifically the 4th amendment, can be summarily disregarded, and as he so poetically put it

"Cant make an omelette without breaking a few eggs"..which then begs the question, to whom else would this "exception" to the Bill of Rights apply?

Do you seriously agree and consent to the arbitrary arrest, detention and search of US citizens without charge or probable cause?

Once again for a slow blinking wanker....

Article IV, Section 4 of the U.S. Constitution

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence."

http://www.immivasion.us/art4sect4/art4sect4.html

So tell me...what part of the fourth amendment is being violated?

Come on give us specifics since you seem to think you're such a grand expert on the U.S. Constitution.

Eat a dick champ. You lose...again.

Sonnabend
12-21-2011, 06:34 PM
So tell me...what part of the fourth amendment is being violated

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Apache
12-21-2011, 08:00 PM
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

For citizens....... CITIZENS......CITIFREAKINGZENS of the United States of America!

Apache
12-21-2011, 08:04 PM
...and Tex, lay off the spelling... please. They and most of europe do have slightly different spellings... "S", "C" who cares, right?

Sonnabend
12-22-2011, 03:11 AM
Correct, Apache...citizens , that Arpaio has been arresting, questioning and detaining without probable cause or charge.

That, my friend, is the point. Illegals are one thing, but US citizens are another... The point I have been making from the start.

Sonnabend
12-22-2011, 06:40 AM
And with that, folks, I bid you goodbye. I intend to scoot around and find a board with conservatives in it.

None here.

bye.

Hawkgirl
12-22-2011, 06:51 PM
And with that, folks, I bid you goodbye. I intend to scoot around and find a board with conservatives in it.

None here.

bye.
http://i40.tinypic.com/am34w3.jpg

Hawkgirl
12-22-2011, 06:55 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/v3j3es.jpg

NJCardFan
12-22-2011, 11:57 PM

What are your views on airport security?

NJCardFan
12-22-2011, 11:58 PM

None here.

bye.
http://cdn.stripersonline.com/3/32/3211d7d5_WellBye.jpeg

Rockntractor
12-23-2011, 12:03 AM
http://cdn.stripersonline.com/3/32/3211d7d5_WellBye.jpeg

Should have changed that too guh-day.

Novaheart
12-23-2011, 12:10 AM
How is refusing to allow mass immigration, legal or illegal, not conservative? Frankly, I don't think it's conservative or liberal, I think it's a question of whether you wish to protect this country or let it be overrun by the world's economic refugees.

I also don't understand why Australia is even bothering with the Malaysians. If they are Malay, and they are in Australia or Christmas ISland, put them on a ship and take them back to Malaysia. Simple enough. If the Malay government doesn't want them back, then drop them in shallow water inside Malay borders.

Rockntractor
12-23-2011, 12:11 AM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/that-was-the-ender-sona-demotivational-posters-1324613389.jpg

txradioguy
12-23-2011, 04:03 AM
...and Tex, lay off the spelling... please. They and most of europe do have slightly different spellings... "S", "C" who cares, right?

I didn't start the Linda #'s spelling corrections...our Aussie sheep fucking friend did.

txradioguy
12-23-2011, 04:05 AM

Nothing in there says it applies to illegals of those suspected of being here illegally.

So I guess in your twisted way of viewing things...even I have the right to refuse to give the cops my drivers license and registration when they pull ME over?

I mean...in your misguided view of OUR Constitution that is a violation of the 4th Amendment.

You're a bloody idiot...sod off.

Adam Wood
12-23-2011, 09:37 AM

None here.

bye.

http://i43.tinypic.com/w01eyo.jpg

newshutr
12-23-2011, 10:14 AM

None here.

bye.

Like a dog on a carpet....

Tecate
12-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Soooo, who are the REAL conservatives?

I'm beginning to get really fucking confused here. :confused: :D

ABC in Georgia
12-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Soooo, who are the REAL conservatives?

Me! Me! Me! I am!

Ultra-conservative, actually ... but one with a heart as well. :an:

~ ABC, and about to leave to go away for Christmas.

Hope you all have a good one!

NJCardFan
12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm still waiting for Sonna's opinion about airport security.

NJCardFan
12-24-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm still waiting for Sonna's opinion about airport security.

Still waiting, Sonna. What are your views of enhanced patdowns at airport security check points?

Rockntractor
12-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Still waiting, Sonna. What are your views of enhanced patdowns at airport security check points?

He is looking for another forum.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/kangaroo_spin_globe_lg_clr.gif

txradioguy
12-24-2011, 04:17 AM
He is looking for another forum.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/kangaroo_spin_globe_lg_clr.gif

Someone warn the Mods at CC he may be heading back their way. :eek:

NJCardFan
12-24-2011, 02:00 PM
He's too gutless to answer my question, that's why.

Tecate
12-24-2011, 02:59 PM
He's too gutless to answer my question, that's why.
Not to defend him, but didn't he announce that he was finished here?

You can't really say that he's not defending his position if he hasn't seen the call-out.

Jus' sayin'