PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Obama’s Unsavory School-Lunch Flop

txradioguy
12-22-2011, 11:39 AM
The road to gastric hell is paved with first lady Michelle Obama’s nanny-state intentions. Don’t take my word for it. Schoolkids in Los Angeles have blown the whistle on the East Wing chef-in-chief’s healthy-lunch diktats. Get your Pepto-Bismol ready. The taste of government waste is indigestion-inducing.

According to a weekend report by the Los Angeles Times, the city’s “trailblazing introduction of healthful school lunches has been a flop.” In response to the public hectoring and financial inducement of Mrs. Obama’s federally subsidized anti-obesity campaign, the district dropped chicken nuggets, corn dogs, and flavored milk from the menu for “beef jambalaya, vegetable curry, pad Thai, lentil and brown rice cutlets, and quinoa and black-eyed pea salads.”

Sounds delectable in theory. But in practice, the initiative has been what L.A. Unified’s food-services director Dennis Barrett plainly concludes is a “disaster.” While the Obama administration has showered the nation’s second-largest school district with nutrition awards, thousands of students voted with their upset tummies and abandoned the program. A forbidden-food black market — stoked not just by students, but also by teachers — is now thriving. Moreover, “principals report massive waste, with unopened milk cartons and uneaten entrees being thrown away.”

This despite a massive increase in spending on nutritional improvements — from $2 million to $20 million alone over the last five years on fresh produce.

This despite a nearly half-billion-dollar budget shortfall and 3,000 layoffs earlier this year.

Earlier this spring, L.A. school officials acknowledged that the sprawling district is left with a whopping 21,000 uneaten meals a day, in part because the federal school-lunch program “sometimes requires more food to be served than a child wants to eat.” The leftovers will now be donated to nonprofit agencies. But after the recipients hear about students’ reports of moldy noodles, undercooked meat, and hard rice, one wonders how much of the “free” food will go down the hatch — or down the drain. Ahhh, savor the flavor of one-size-fits-all mandates.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/286351/michelle-obama-s-unsavory-br-school-lunch-flop-michelle-malkin

linda22003
12-22-2011, 12:12 PM
I would take quinoa over corn dogs any day, but kids don't tend to choose things that are good for them - and if they're not being prepared well, they'll definitely be rejected.

DumbAss Tanker
12-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Never heard of quinoa before, but "Rice cutlets" tells me all I want to know about the menu.

Rockntractor
12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Has anyone mentioned Michele has an enormous ass?:confused:

linda22003
12-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Never heard of quinoa before, but "Rice cutlets" tells me all I want to know about the menu.

It's a grain from South America with a nice, nutty flavor. We have it with chicken or fish, at our house.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Dwex9AQ8IuA/THVoYFhh5II/AAAAAAAAYtI/QWE809Kmk78/quinoa-10.jpg

Novaheart
12-22-2011, 01:30 PM
The road to gastric hell is paved with first lady Michelle Obama’s nanny-state intentions. Don’t take my word for it. Schoolkids in Los Angeles have blown the whistle on the East Wing chef-in-chief’s healthy-lunch diktats. Get your Pepto-Bismol ready. The taste of government waste is indigestion-inducing.

According to a weekend report by the Los Angeles Times, the city’s “trailblazing introduction of healthful school lunches has been a flop.” In response to the public hectoring and financial inducement of Mrs. Obama’s federally subsidized anti-obesity campaign, the district dropped chicken nuggets, corn dogs, and flavored milk from the menu for “beef jambalaya, vegetable curry, pad Thai, lentil and brown rice cutlets, and quinoa and black-eyed pea salads.”

I am at a loss as to what the valid criticism is here.

America is not a healthy place, and hasn't been for a long time. President Kennedy lamented that the percentage of Americans who showed up for the draft who were too out of shape to enter basic training was unacceptable. Kennedy also said that we were becoming a nation of spectators rather than athletes. So this decline has been going on for some time.

In analysis, how long has this been going on? We probably don't know, because e probably don't have the stats from the past. In the past, "military readiness" was determined in the census by the number of free males between 16 and 45 and no other consideration.

A good guess would be that this has been going on since the 1930's. More cars, more machines, less farm workers, more sedentary workers, more people living in town, less walking, more driving, washing machines, sanders, compressed air tools, robotic helpers, and thousands of things which made life easier, better, and better for more people. Cheap carbs and fat processed foods in abundance. It's all coming home to roost.... on the asses of America it seems.

Frankly I am surprised at the number of "healthy" people. I don't see bone thin people as being all that healthy, but it's easier to take a scrawney string bean into the Army, run him around and over feed him than it is to take a chub in and starve him while running the fat off him.

Corn dogs and chicken nuggets are dog food in more appealing form. We know what the parents buy, because we look in their carts at Walmart. They buy corn dogs, chicken nuggets, ramen, peanut butter, potato chips, soda, Hi-c, commercial potato salad, macaroni salad, .... just buckets of fat and simple carbs.

Schools employ dieticians. They shouldn't be serving crap.

txradioguy
12-22-2011, 01:34 PM

Of course you're at a loss. You see nothing wrong with the Government telling us what to eat and wasting money trying to central plan meals for kids that they don't eat.

To your Liberal way of thinking that's the way it SHOULD be.

Amazing how someone who thinks the Government has no place in our bedrooms is perfectly fine with them taking up residence in our kitchens.

Only the mind of a Lib allows the contradiction like that to go unnoticed.

Novaheart
12-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Of course you're at a loss. You see nothing wrong with the Government telling us what to eat and wasting money trying to central plan meals for kids that they don't eat.

Amazing how someone who thinks the Government has no place in our bedrooms is perfectly fine with them taking up residence in our kitchens.

I thought we were talking about school cafeterias. For that matter, we can consider the kitchen of military facilities as well. We shouldn't be feeding garbage to kids or soldiers.

Corn dogs and chicken nuggets are carnival foods. No one is saying that they should never be eaten. But like pizza, they should not be eaten every day or even every week.

Do you know that one egg contains more than half of your daily cholesterol? Do the nutritionals on a breakfast of 2-3 scrambled eggs, two sausages, fried potatoes, and toast with butter and jam. Who exactly should be eating that?

txradioguy
12-22-2011, 01:48 PM
I thought we were talking about school cafeterias. For that matter, we can consider the kitchen of military facilities as well. We shouldn't be feeding garbage to kids or soldiers.

We are talking about that. I'm just pointing out your willful hypocrisy.

You're perfectly willing to raise hell about the Nanny State for your pet cause...but you're perfectly willing to let them intrude when it suits your purpose or your pet cause.

Corn dogs and chicken nuggets are carnival foods. No one is saying that they should never be eaten. But like pizza, they should not be eaten every day or even every week.

Those are an option at school...not the mandatory menu items.

They offer those in the fast food line at every Military Dining Facility as well.

Your point?

Do you know that one egg contains more than half of your daily cholesterol? Do the nutritionals on a breakfast of 2-3 scrambled eggs, two sausages, fried potatoes, and toast with butter and jam. Who exactly should be eating that?

Anyone who wants to. That's who.

Arroyo_Doble
12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
For some reason, I am reminded of the old Beastie Boys song, (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party).

Novaheart
12-22-2011, 02:41 PM
We are talking about that. I'm just pointing out your willful hypocrisy.

You're perfectly willing to raise hell about the Nanny State for your pet cause...but you're perfectly willing to let them intrude when it suits your purpose or your pet cause. .

Where is the hypocrisy? The government has no business in your kitchen or your bedroom. Government owned kitchens used to feed those in the care of the government should serve a wholesome balanced diet. Festival food is a treat, not daily fare or a "choice" for children or those being parented by the government to make. The government can't tell you how to parent (other than governing abuse) but if the government is responsibly for your care and feeding, then the government should served a healthy diet. You can get your pizza elsewhere.

Odysseus
12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
This is a perfect example of a command-dictated attempt at reform. What is the problem? Childhood obesity. Or is it the problem, rather than one symptom of a larger problem? What causes obesity? Diet and inactivity.

Since my mom was a teacher and my dad also worked, I was what was known as a latchkey kid. From the beginning of third grade on, I was given bus fare to get home from school, but quickly learned that if I walked the four miles to my house, I could pocket the fare and do what I wanted with it. In junior high and high school, we got bus passes, but by then, I'd developed the habit of walking. I also used to ride my bike everywhere. Now that I have two daughters, I'd be terrified to let them go out the way that I did. We live in a world in which we are afraid to let kids be kids, and end up trading off independence and physical exercise for safety and security. How do you fix that? How do you make the world safer for kids, so that they can go out on their own without being at risk for predators?

Michelle Obama's program imposed a bureaucratically perfect solution on kids, in that it was easy to implement and comply with, but it didn't address the problem. It is failing spectacularly because the kids wanted nothing to do with the foods offered, but even if they'd suddenly developed a taste for third world grains, it would have failed to accomplish its stated goal of reducing obesity.

Another triumph of central planning... :rolleyes:

txradioguy
12-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Where is the hypocrisy? The government has no business in your kitchen or your bedroom.

But you're ok with one and not ok with the other.

As wittnessed by:

Government owned kitchens used to feed those in the care of the government should serve a wholesome balanced diet.

Just one problem...the Federal government doesn't own a school cafeteria...much less McDonalds or Burger King...all of which the Feds are trying to regulate into what they can and can't serve.

Festival food is a treat, not daily fare or a "choice" for children or those being parented by the government to make.

Who gave the Feds the right to "parent" any child? I certainly didn't. I doubt anyone on this forum with kids did.

That's the typical mindset of a Big Government loving Lib.

The government can't tell you how to parent (other than governing abuse) but if the government is responsibly for your care and feeding, then the government should served a healthy diet. You can get your pizza elsewhere.

You do realize you just managed to contradict yourself in what you said above don't you?

Apocalypse
12-22-2011, 05:40 PM
From another source I love this line.

There's just one problem: Many of the meals are being rejected en masse. Participation in the school lunch program has dropped by thousands of students. Principals report massive waste, with unopened milk cartons and uneaten entrees being thrown away. Students are ditching lunch, and some say they're suffering from headaches, stomach pains and even anemia. At many campuses, an underground market for chips, candy, fast-food burgers and other taboo fare is thriving.

The rise of the black-market of fattening foods. lol

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/17/local/la-me-food-lausd-20111218

SaintLouieWoman
12-22-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm a conservative who believes in healthy food for both kids and adults. The problem is that they tried to shove it down everyone's collective throats and as is the too often pattern with any federally backed program, wasn't implemented properly.

They should have gradually introduced the foods and done a bit of education first. It would have been good to start it with the parents.

I don't like Mrs Obama, but think she's just perhaps gone a bit overboard in her zeal to have a pet project. With Mrs Reagan, it was "just say no". I feel bad about all the cheap shots about her rear end. I'd say a majority of women in the US sadly have a larger rear. That doesn't make them bad people, but making cracks about "first time I've been proud of my country" doesn't endear her to me (Mrs Obama comes to mind). I personally don't care about the size of her rear, but do care about her attitude.

Be glad she's busying herself with nutrition. She could cause way more damage in other ways if she put her mind to it. :D

Hawkgirl
12-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Back in the 80's, there were no restrictions on "diets" and we were slimmer. Now kids aren't allowed to pack a snicker's bar, but we, as a nation, are fatter.

Ody had it right, it's about being active. Public (and private) schools should bring back regular PE classes, and make them mandatory. We should, as a society, get our kids to be more active. Stop buying Xbox and Playstation and get your kids outdoors!

Serving rice cakes and quinoa bird shirt won't decrease obesity...as kids will avoid it lilke the plague.

My .02

txradioguy
12-23-2011, 04:30 AM
Ody had it right, it's about being active. Public (and private) schools should bring back regular PE classes, and make them mandatory. We should, as a society, get our kids to be more active. Stop buying Xbox and Playstation and get your kids outdoors!

When you and I were kids our moms were probably the same...they had to barricade the door in the summertime by about 9 a.m. to try and keep us indoors.

Now they hardly get off the couch...can't let go of the X Box.

Thank goodness my son got into football this year because that's gotten him motivated to go with dad to the gym.

RobJohnson
12-23-2011, 06:10 AM

Of course it's ok to use taxpayer supported EBT (food stamp) cards to purchase junk food & ready to bake pizzas...I doubt many kids are getting fat simply due to the school lunch program. It could be other things like junk food at home & a lack of activity....

On top of all of the above...programs like this tend to put more focus on overweight children that are having a hard enough time growing up and dealing with the changes their bodies are going through. But what do I know? So now they are not eating at all. None of this makes for healty students.

Odysseus
12-23-2011, 10:51 AM
When you and I were kids our moms were probably the same...they had to barricade the door in the summertime by about 9 a.m. to try and keep us indoors.

Thank goodness my son got into football this year because that's gotten him motivated to go with dad to the gym.
There's another factor at work here. Would you let your son out alone, unsupervised, during the day? My oldest daughter is approaching the age that I was at when my parents started letting me walk home from school. They didn't freak out over the idea of me walking home alone, and when I went to high school, I took buses and the subway alone. This was in NYC in the 70s, which was not the safest place in the world, but today, I can't imagine letting my girls do the things that I did.

Of course it's ok to use taxpayer supported EBT (food stamp) cards to purchase junk food & ready to bake pizzas...I doubt many kids are getting fat simply due to the school lunch program. It could be other things like junk food at home & a lack of activity....

On top of all of the above...programs like this tend to put more focus on overweight children that are having a hard enough time growing up and dealing with the changes their bodies are going through. But what do I know? So now they are not eating at all. None of this makes for healty students.
No, but it does make for an obese bureaucracy.

txradioguy
12-23-2011, 11:09 AM
There's another factor at work here. Would you let your son out alone, unsupervised, during the day? My oldest daughter is approaching the age that I was at when my parents started letting me walk home from school. They didn't freak out over the idea of me walking home alone, and when I went to high school, I took buses and the subway alone. This was in NYC in the 70s, which was not the safest place in the world, but today, I can't imagine letting my girls do the things that I did.

Believe it or not yes. But then again when I was at TOG...we lived on Belvoir...you know how that place is.

Maybe it's because we lived in a "gated" community...but I had no problem letting them run the streets in the summer with their friends. It's still a place where everyone knows everyone...that small town feel on post in the neighborhoods.

In Germany we live off post but still...again...small town where everyone knows everyone even though it's not on post...the kids play ride their bikes and go to town to the store and even ride the buses to Vilsek and Graf on their own and I never worry one bit about it.

Lucky I guess.

AmPat
12-23-2011, 11:59 AM

*Blah Blah Blah,,,

Schools employ dieticians. They shouldn't be serving crap.

Here is the problem:
Schools should employ educators, they don't do that.

While the Central Committee members are busy spending vast amounts of our money to teach rote memorization of standardized tests that satisfy bureaucrats, our children become drones that know nothing but liberal bumper sticker talking points and revisionist history. They cannot compete with third world children in math and science and cannot think and solve problems.

While they are held captive by our liberal babysitting "teachers," forced to endure yet another episode of Daddy married frank, they are rewarded with the Central Committee's Five Year Feeding Plan that is Bland yet nutritional. The Central Committee is shocked that our present crop of Drones are displeased with the dietary choices that were so lovingly and thoughtfully forced on them.

The babysitters are dismayed at the subtle subversive act of refusing to eat the delicacies that were so carefully chosen for them. "No consumption without representation" they shout from their desks. "We want arugula, we want lobster!" demand the drones.

The Committee members go back to their cubicles and launch another overly expensive program to include Brussels sprouts and bean curd designed to entice the little drones with a delectable selection that will assault their palates.

Novaheart
12-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Just one problem...the Federal government doesn't own a school cafeteria...much less McDonalds or Burger King...all of which the Feds are trying to regulate into what they can and can't serve.

Federal, state, local it's all "the government" and it does indeed own kitchen which serve those in its care. The school lunch program in your local school is a federal program and has been since 1946.

The topic is not McDonalds nor Burger King. It is the food served by government kitchens to those in its care.

Novaheart
12-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Who gave the Feds the right to "parent" any child? I certainly didn't. I doubt anyone on this forum with kids did.

That's the typical mindset of a Big Government loving Lib.

No, it's the mindset of a person who is responding with reason rather than emotion. School children, inmates, and enlisted personnel are in the care of the government. The government functions as parent or caretaker for the period of time it is responsible for the care and well being of the various individuals. Part of that in loco parentis is that it will serve wholesome food.

Until now, "wholesome" has been understood to mean "fit for human consumption" which I think you would agree is not the same as your definition of "wholesome".

3–57. Menu standards
a. Daily menu standards will be followed to ensure that appealing, nutritious, and wholesome food choices, in
addition to currently popular food items, are provided in all Army dining facilities. The application of the standards is
mandatory for both weekday and weekend dining facility operations. The meals will include choices from each food
group as described in the USDA Food Guide Pyramid. Meal and menu standards, menu planning guides, and
subsistence product and preparation guidance are provided in DA Pam 30–22, paragraph 3–70.
b. The FPM will, on a case-by-case basis, determine and document the rationale for any dining facility unable to
adhere to the daily menu standards outlined in DA Pam 30–22, paragraph 3–70. The documented rationale will be
maintained as a part of the installation food program and forwarded to the responsible region. An example of an
exception is a small dining facility that could not accommodate the total range of the menu because of physical
limitations of the facility.
c. The caloric value of each menu item will be posted by the FOS to promote healthy food choices. The FPM will
designate readily visible locations for the information in the dining facility. The FPM can require that the posted
information contain expanded nutrient information.

Well what do you know? Monica Crowley bitched and moaned about the NYC law requiring posting nutritional information on restaurant menus, and right here it says that the Army has to do the same thing. It also seems to suggest that it's the government's job to parent the soldiers into making healthy choices.

NJCardFan
12-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Where is the hypocrisy? The government has no business in your kitchen or your bedroom. Government owned kitchens used to feed those in the care of the government should serve a wholesome balanced diet. Festival food is a treat, not daily fare or a "choice" for children or those being parented by the government to make. The government can't tell you how to parent (other than governing abuse) but if the government is responsibly for your care and feeding, then the government should served a healthy diet. You can get your pizza elsewhere.

Big difference here numbnuts. School lunches aren't free. They are paid for(at least by those who have responsible parents who have jobs and pay taxes).

NJCardFan
12-23-2011, 01:46 PM
From another source I love this line.

The rise of the black-market of fattening foods. lol

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/17/local/la-me-food-lausd-20111218
Reminds me of the South Park episode where Cartman is sent to a fat camp but he has junk foods smuggled in and he sells it to the other kids.

NJCardFan
12-23-2011, 01:54 PM
When I was in school, school lunches were basic: Hamburgers w/fries and a dessert, macaroni, pizza or subs on Friday. And even though it was public school, we had to pay for our lunches( in my school career, lunch sarted out at 30 cents(milk 5 cents) and by the time I graduated, lunch was $1, milk was 15 cents, and orange juice was 25 cents). We didn't have vending machines or soda. So, you had a choice, buy the school lunch or bring your own. So, it is an intrusion to force this kind of fare on kids and make the parents pay for it. But then again, maybe if it were offensive to gays, Nova might feel differently.

SaintLouieWoman
12-23-2011, 02:00 PM
When I was in school, school lunches were basic: Hamburgers w/fries and a dessert, macaroni, pizza or subs on Friday. And even though it was public school, we had to pay for our lunches( in my school career, lunch sarted out at 30 cents(milk 5 cents) and by the time I graduated, lunch was $1, milk was 15 cents, and orange juice was 25 cents). We didn't have vending machines or soda. So, you had a choice, buy the school lunch or bring your own. So, it is an intrusion to force this kind of fare on kids and make the parents pay for it. But then again, maybe if it were offensive to gays, Nova might feel differently.
Let's not go off on that tangent. Remember, folks, it's Christmas time and no need for the over the top insults. Let's spread the Christmas cheer (note I didn't say holiday cheer). :D

Novaheart
12-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Big difference here numbnuts. School lunches aren't free. They are paid for(at least by those who have responsible parents who have jobs and pay taxes).

School lunches are heavily subsidized for those who pay for them, but those kids really aren't the reason for the school lunch program. It's the free lunch kids the program is designed to nutritionally safeguard, and the percentage of kids on free lunch is now close to 40% in the suburbs and close to 100% in the cities.

More and more schools are now the primary food provider for the students, serving breakfast and lunch.

Tipsycatlover
12-23-2011, 04:34 PM
The problem with these programs is equality.

They assume all children are equally obese.

Hawkgirl
12-23-2011, 05:34 PM

Yes! You got that right. My daughter is only 2, but I have every intention of keeping her active. Since we live in S. Florida, we have access to pools and beaches within minutes of our house. My community also has a gym, basketball court, tennis and lake paths. She eats well but is at normal weight for her size because she is active. She's also learning to ride a tricycle and her grandfather spends a lot of time with her outdoors as she rides(in a gated community)

Start them young and I doubt she will have weight problems as she grows....at least I hope she won't.

As for school lunches, there were no restrictions in my day. They offered whole and skim milk, regular and chocolate, the student CHOSE. Interestingly, most of us gals chose the skim. They offered the standard ham and cheese sammies, PB&J sammies and usually 2 hot choices. Obesity wasn't a problem. Sure there were overweight kids, there always will be because of what they're served AT HOME.
Will government step into our supermarket carts next?

txradioguy
12-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Will government step into our supermarket carts next?

Yes they will if Michelle gets her way.

Rockntractor
12-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Yes they will if Michelle gets her way.

If she stepped into a cart she would crush it.:eek: