PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve in Detroit

Carol
12-25-2011, 03:06 AM
Here's a sampling of DUers where they consider Christmas or wish others a Merry Christmas.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/100269395

Christmas Eve in Detroit

So I went with my family to see the Detroit Lions play on Christmas Eve and we walked several blocks through the city. I was very upset by a sight I saw not once but twice.

Twice we passed a homeless person either passed out or drunk or asleep (but it doesn't really matter) lying face down on the sidewalk trying to get warm by the heat vents which run all around downtown. The temperature out was in the 30's with no sun. Night was falling. These people looked beyond desperate. I knew that the cops would be around soon enough as thousands of fans were walking past. But still I was somewhat shocked. What a horrible sight for nations cities! God what have we come to!

Homeless stray animals are treated far better than people in our poor inner cities. I felt awful and while my life went on - I continued my "middle class" lifestyle (which is hard enough that I don't have "spare change" to help the desperate) - I left feeling our societies basic inhumanity. And the right wing claims we are a "Christian Society". Not in any understanding of "Christian" that I've ever understood.

Right. Liberals refuse to live by Christian values and refuse to allow Christian values to be taught in school or acknowledged anywhere in the government, then they blame Christians when the result of their secular, immoral behavior blows up in their face.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/100269388

Happy Christmas, DU - and remember this:

Happy Birthday to a guy who never called the poor lazy or fought for the wealthiest Nazarenes to get another tax cut

- from JohnFugelsang: via Michael Moore He also didn't tell the Roman government, nor the Jewish priests or elders to forcably take money from the wealthy to give to others.

Of course most of the DUers only care about what Jesus said or did if they can use it to denigrate or blame Christians.

They are disporpotionatly athiest compaired to the general public and some who claim to be a Christian still think it is OK to claim that the "right wing" Christians aren't "real Christians".

Big surprise-NOT- this is from Michael Moore.

DarkHalo
12-25-2011, 03:18 AM
Christmas is a time of happiness, cheer and family togetherness for most people. People smile, hug and hold each other, are glad to be alive and are grateful for what they have. Liberals are none of the above. They are almost always miserable and 'misery loves company' is especially true for them.

They denigrate me because I am a conservative and don't agree with them. For them 'freedom of speech' is really only 'the freedom to agree with their speech'. Me, I don't hate them. I pity them and their miserable unhappy lives.

SarasotaRepub
12-25-2011, 09:50 AM
ChristmasEve in Detroit

So I went with my family to see the Detroit Lions play on Christmas Eve and we walked several blocks through the city. I was very upset by a sight I saw not once but twice.

Really??? That's nice. And...kinda expensive. But lets forget that!!!

Homeless stray animals are treated far better than people in our poor inner cities. I felt awful and while my life went on - I continued my "middle class" lifestyle (which is hard enough that I don't have "spare change" to help the desperate)

No spare change??? But...but,but, you're at a football game!!! Did you get in for free??? You saw the homeless on the way in and didn't save them a penny??? :eek:

:rolleyes: What assholes...

Tipsycatlover
12-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Helping the homless to shelter is not as easy as you think. Some are drugged out, some are mentally ill. They will fight for their right to be left alone no matter what the circumstances. In some cities, the police have tried to physically "help" the homeless to shelter. We are then treated with video of police wrestling a poor homeless person into a police car. Arresting the innocent or helping someone live through the night?

AmPat
12-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Helping the homless to shelter is not as easy as you think. Some are drugged out, some are mentally ill. They will fight for their right to be left alone no matter what the circumstances. In some cities, the police have tried to physically "help" the homeless to shelter. We are then treated with video of police wrestling a poor homeless person into a police car. Arresting the innocent or helping someone live through the night?

All true. I volunteer at a food pantry. Some of these people are helpless and pathetic. Most need the help and will recover some day. Some will be there every time the door opens. I call it life. Jesus said, "the poor you will always have." He was right.

NJCardFan
12-25-2011, 12:55 PM
:rolleyes: What assholes...

No, as we all know, liberals are very generous with other people's money.

Dan D. Doty
12-26-2011, 04:43 AM

Too true

Novaheart
12-26-2011, 11:42 AM

What does that mean?

Bailey
12-26-2011, 11:49 AM
What does that mean?

Are you that stupid? It means they love to tax the shit out of others and then spend it on worthless programs for the poor.

Novaheart
12-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Are you that stupid? It means they love to tax the shit out of others and then spend it on worthless programs for the poor.

Which programs?

Bailey
12-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Which programs?

Throw a dart at them I am sure you'll hit one, but the point is they sure love spending others money.

marv
12-26-2011, 12:52 PM
No, as we all know, liberals are very generous with other people's money.What does that mean?

Are you that stupid? It means they love to tax the shit out of others and then spend it on worthless programs for the poor.Which programs?

Nova needs a lesson in history.....

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/19/opinion/zelizer-war-on-poverty/index.html

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2010/03/expanding-the-failed-war-on-poverty-obamas-2011-budget-increases-welfare-spending-to-historic-levels

Bailey
12-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Nova needs a lesson in history.....

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/19/opinion/zelizer-war-on-poverty/index.html

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2010/03/expanding-the-failed-war-on-poverty-obamas-2011-budget-increases-welfare-spending-to-historic-levels

I refuse to play nova's game, I love these self-righteous leftest/liberals/progressives (take your pick) think they are so good when they believe in social programs but don't give a dime to charities, it so easy being charitable with others money. He scum bags give away your money first then worry about taxing others. Spare me the "its good for society" screed its still no excuse to take over half of the earnings someone makes in a given year. Just thank whatever God you believe in that i dont run things...

Novaheart
12-26-2011, 06:27 PM
I refuse to play nova's game, ..

It's not a game. You made a broad statement and I asked for specifics. The only other options would be to ignore your statement assuming that it was worthless, or to accept it which would be contrary to reason. I went through the same thing on DU with that woman from Kansas who declared that "the schools are underfunded while we spend money on (whatever)." There is a commonly held belief that urban schools are funded less than suburban or rural schools, more specifically that black schools are funded less than white schools. When I have her examples and asked for support for her claim, much like you have done, she declared that they were all underfunded and that I am an internet troll.

I love these self-righteous leftest/liberals/progressives (take your pick) think they are so good when they believe in social programs but don't give a dime to charities

There is a huge difference in philosophies to be found in this regard, for sure. However, I would like to first note that the most famous line regarding the substitution of common welfare programs for charities was delivered by Mr. Scrooge, who when asked for donations asked if his taxes did not go to support the indigent.

However you can't really support your claim that there is a huge difference in charitable giving between the liberal and the conservative. Yes, there have been studies and in some of them the conservatives come out slightly on top, but the one that has right wingers patting themselves on the back was largely debunked because it actually proved that evangelical Christians (every Sunday and Wednesday evening kind, not Christmas and Easter kind) donated a considerable portion of their income to charity, but even that was reduced when you stopped counting every donation to the church as if it were for charity. New air conditioners and parking lots for churches aren't really charity, now are they?

He scum bags give away your money first then worry about taxing others.

I have repeatedly read on conservative sites that the states controlled by the liberals have the highest taxes. It would only make sense to conclude that they are indeed putting their money where their mouth is if they are taxing themselves higher than conservatives tax themselves. Could you conclude otherwise?

Spare me the "its good for society" screed its still no excuse to take over half of the earnings someone makes in a given year.

If you ever find yourself in that situation then we'll discuss it. Until then, stop parroting the idiot Hannity.

Bailey
12-26-2011, 06:46 PM
it's not a game. You made a broad statement and I asked for specifics. The only other options would be to ignore your statement assuming that it was worthless, or to accept it which would be contrary to reason. I went through the same thing on DU with that woman from Kansas who declared that "the schools are underfunded while we spend money on (whatever)." There is a commonly held belief that urban schools are funded less than suburban or rural schools, more specifically that black schools are funded less than white schools. When I have her examples and asked for support for her claim, much like you have done, she declared that they were all underfunded and that I am an internet troll]

No if i give you an example you'll rail on how important such and such a program is. I really believe all welfare programs should be slashed across the board.

I have repeatedly read on conservative sites that the states controlled by the liberals have the highest taxes. It would only make sense to conclude that they are indeed putting their money where their mouth is if they are taxing themselves higher than conservatives tax themselves. Could you conclude otherwise?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I was referring to most of the DU inhabitants who don't pay income tax advocating taxing the earners in this country till the scream. They are very good at saying how much someone should pay. Not for nothing I dont think you should have a say about what someone should pay in income tax until you actually pay some.

However you can't really support your claim that there is a huge difference in charitable giving between the liberal and the conservative. Yes, there have been studies and in some of them the conservatives come out slightly on top, but the one that has right wingers patting themselves on the back was largely debunked because it actually proved that evangelical Christians (every Sunday and Wednesday evening kind, not Christmas and Easter kind) donated a considerable portion of their income to charity, but even that was reduced when you stopped counting every donation to the church as if it were for charity. New air conditioners and parking lots for churches aren't really charity, now are they?

Until you show me some proof on that I wont take your word for it.

If you ever find yourself in that situation then we'll discuss it. Until then, stop parroting the idiot Hannity

I was referring in the general sense you tool, no one who earned an income should EVER pay more then a third even if it means some bum has to starve.

JB
12-26-2011, 06:47 PM
If you ever find yourself in that situation then we'll discuss it. Until then, stop parroting the idiot Hannity.So what you're saying is that a person can't be opposed to something unless they experience it first hand?

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind when I read your posts from now on. Especially if you post in an abortion thread. ;)

Big Guy
12-26-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't know what they are whining about, Detroit won. Geesh :confused:

Bailey
12-26-2011, 06:55 PM
So what you're saying is that a person can't be opposed to something unless they experience it first hand?

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind when I read your posts from now on. Especially if you post in an abortion thread. ;)

Or until you (nova) actually served in the military can you speak about DADT. See two can play this game.

NJCardFan
12-26-2011, 11:49 PM
If you ever find yourself in that situation then we'll discuss it. Until then, stop parroting the idiot Hannity
If you had any credibility at all on these boards, you burned it with this statement. I don't have to experience an abortion to know it's wrong do I. Not to mention that you just had to throw in that little Fox News barb.

Novaheart
12-27-2011, 12:32 AM
If you had any credibility at all on these boards, you burned it with this statement. I don't have to experience an abortion to know it's wrong do I. Not to mention that you just had to throw in that little Fox News barb.

It wasn't a Fox news barb; Hannity claimed that he was paying 60% of his income in taxes one day on his radio show.

Even if Bailey were paying 50% of his income in taxes, it wouldn't be all going for social programs, and those social programs don't all benefit the worthless and undeserving. As he himself said, he didn't want to name the programs, because he knew I would punch holes in his BS.

NJCardFan
12-27-2011, 12:59 AM
It wasn't a Fox news barb; Hannity claimed that he was paying 60% of his income in taxes one day on his radio show.

Even if Bailey were paying 50% of his income in taxes, it wouldn't be all going for social programs, and those social programs don't all benefit the worthless and undeserving. As he himself said, he didn't want to name the programs, because he knew I would punch holes in his BS.
So you say Hannity is lying? You have proof to back that up?

Novaheart
12-27-2011, 01:18 AM
So you say Hannity is lying? You have proof to back that up?

Where did I say that Hannity was lying?