PDA

View Full Version : Sea Shepherd's boat in distress

SarasotaRepub
12-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Who said Godzilla isn't real??? (http://www.democraticunderground.com/100282478) :D

Wed Dec 28, 2011, 09:10 PM
The Straight Story

Sea Shepherd's boat in distress

Sea Shepherd's boat in distress

Anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd's vessel Brigitte Bardot has been struck by a rogue wave that has cracked the hull and is being pounded by heavy seas about 2400km southwest of Fremantle.

Sea Shepherd says the accident happened as the boat tailed Japanese whaling ship Nisshin Maru in six metre swells.

Its South African captain Jonathan Miles Renecle was confident the ship, which has a 10-member crew, would stay afloat until it was reached by Sea Shepherd flagship Steve Irwin.

Captain Paul Watson onboard the Steve Irwin reports that they are fighting heavy seas to reach the position of the Brigitte Bardot some 240 miles to the southeast.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1615403/Sea-Shepherd-s-boat-in-distress

NJCardFan
12-29-2011, 12:39 AM
To quote Mr. Spock: "To hunt a species to it's extinction is not logical."

Dan D. Doty
12-29-2011, 05:49 AM
To quote Mr. Spock: "To hunt a species to it's extinction is not logical."

So's being an asshole with too much time and money on your hands.

DumbAss Tanker
12-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Gee, that's too bad...I like to use that show as a outstanding case study in bad leadership, and recommend young officers watch it to learn what not to do...with the advantage of their fuck-ups being funny as Hell!

What? It's not supposed to be a comedy? Well, it's still funny as Hell, anyway!

:D

Odysseus
12-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Gee, that's too bad...I like to use that show as a outstanding case study in bad leadership, and recommend young officers watch it to learn what not to do...with the advantage of their fuck-ups being funny as Hell!

I've never watched it. Is it really good OPD fodder?

DumbAss Tanker
12-29-2011, 12:21 PM

It depends on the episode, but as long as you don't have any bleeding heart libs in the crowd, I found it a useful change of pace. You should check out a couple of them, I don't know how to really descibe the unintentional sardonic comedy that ensues when a passive-aggressive windbag zealot is placed in charge of a mix of like-minded dopes with some sea skills plus a bunch of merely normal zealots who don't really have any naval, military, or maritime experience at all, aboard a small ship in hostile seas.

Starbuck
12-29-2011, 12:25 PM
I've never understood Japanese whalers.

The Japanese quota includes 935 minke, 50 fin and 50 humpback whales per season, and while they rarely meet their quota they certainly try.

As my name implies, I have learned something about whaling. The minke and fin whales were never hunted back in 'the day' because they are too fast, and the humpback has the advantage of sinking when killed so it was never hunted, either.

The Greenland right whale used to have an enormous population. At the peak of the whaling years - about 1850 - 68,000 of them were killed in one year. Today, the population is a few hundred. After the right whale became hard to find the sperm whale came under attack, and then the bowhead, which is like a very large right whale.

The Japanese insist that they are hunting whales for scientific research. No one believes that, though.

DumbAss Tanker
12-29-2011, 01:25 PM
I've never understood Japanese whalers.

The Japanese quota includes 935 minke, 50 fin and 50 humpback whales per season, and while they rarely meet their quota they certainly try.

As my name implies, I have learned something about whaling. The minke and fin whales were never hunted back in 'the day' because they are too fast, and the humpback has the advantage of sinking when killed so it was never hunted, either.

The Greenland right whale used to have an enormous population. At the peak of the whaling years - about 1850 - 68,000 of them were killed in one year. Today, the population is a few hundred. After the right whale became hard to find the sperm whale came under attack, and then the bowhead, which is like a very large right whale.

The Japanese insist that they are hunting whales for scientific research. No one believes that, though.

Back in the day they were hunted for oil. While the Japanese may keep the oil, it's only incidental to what they are really after, which is the meat. Blubber is much less dense than muscle - so, back in the day the Western whalers wanted the floaters, now the Japanese whalers want the sinkers.

SarasotaRepub
12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
I liked when the Sea-Hippies lost their 1st cool looking boat. The Japs taught them a valuable lesson, don't put a fiberglass boat in front of a steel hulled ship. :eek::D

Adam Wood
12-29-2011, 01:43 PM

It depends on the episode, but as long as you don't have any bleeding heart libs in the crowd, I found it a useful change of pace. You should check out a couple of them, I don't know how to really descibe the unintentional sardonic comedy that ensues when a passive-aggressive windbag zealot is placed in charge of a mix of like-minded dopes with some sea skills plus a bunch of merely normal zealots who don't really have any naval, military, or maritime experience at all, aboard a small ship in hostile seas.Damn. Now I've got to watch it.

Novaheart
12-29-2011, 08:52 PM
I liked when the Sea-Hippies lost their 1st cool looking boat. The Japs taught them a valuable lesson, don't put a fiberglass boat in front of a steel hulled ship. :eek::D

I have no doubt that after two hours of quality time, I would want to horsewhip most of the people on the Steve Irwin, including Steve Irwin if he were still alive. Having said that, I see no reason to kill whales, I I would cheer if the Nissin Maru went to the bottom with all hands. I have no patience with people who kill whales or elephants. It simply is not necessary.

Novaheart
12-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Damn. Now I've got to watch it.

IN my last incarnation on DU, one of the guys who is such an ass that even some of the professional assholes on DU think he's an ass, accused me of being "racist" for opposing Japanese whaling. Apparently he thought they were the only culture with a history of whaling or that their history of whaling predated our own.

Honestly, some of these people seem to think that "indigenous peoples" were the only ones with skills and cultures before 1960.

SarasotaRepub
12-29-2011, 09:17 PM
I have no doubt that after two hours of quality time, I would want to horsewhip most of the people on the Steve Irwin, including Steve Irwin if he were still alive. Having said that, I see no reason to kill whales, I I would cheer if the Nissin Maru went to the bottom with all hands. I have no patience with people who kill whales or elephants. It simply is not necessary.

I don't condone killing the whales either. Now the Sea-Hippies, that's a whole nother story...:D

Apache
12-29-2011, 11:56 PM
... It simply is not necessary.Neither are any of your favorite foods. The whales are being sold as food items, after the "scientific research" is done...

What's sad, is the fact Japan thinks it's fooling the world with that ruse...:rolleyes:

malloc
12-30-2011, 02:57 AM
I completely condone the killing of whales so long as the game taken is in accordance with conserving a stable population, and they are not killed for sport. Sport killing should be reserved for pest animals. This is the only policy a hunter of any type can pursue if they want to continue hunting.

Now time for a humorously true story (and anti-bouncy, if you will). At my doctor's office about two months ago, I came across this woman who I can only describe as "deranged". The T.V. in the waiting room was tuned to a cooking show, and I struck up a conversation about favorite foods with an elderly lady who was watching the show too. As she was totally schooling me on the subject of collard greens (one of my favorite things in the world, and yes I was taking notes!), this idiot deranged lady pipes up and "informs" us that people eat whales in Japan.

I looked at the lady I was talking to, with a "so what?" look, and she returned the sentiment. We then continued our conversation. What happened next was insane. This crazy lady started flat out pulpit preaching to us about the killing and whales, and how we should watch "Whale Wars", and get involved, and how our government should make Japanese whaling illegal. I was too shocked to speak. She continued her preaching, informing us 3 times that she was a Native American, and thus had a special connection with whales. She didn't look like an Arizonan native American, and I couldn't figure out the connection between Native Americans, American Laws governing Japanese people, and whales, so I just started laughing. It was all way too much. I couldn't control it because the situation had become so ridiculous! In any event, after she was satisfied that her preaching was done, she sat down, waited to be called, and continue on with her doctor appointment. It was just too amazing to be believed. I don't know who she was, but I hope she finds the help she needs, because you just can't go through life like that.

FDK
12-30-2011, 07:34 AM
If I were the Japanese dudes on the Nishin Maru, I'd launch a skiff and pelt the Steve Irwin with water balloons filled with whale blood.

Adam Wood
12-30-2011, 10:25 AM
If I were the Japanese dudes on the Nishin Maru, I'd launch a skiff and pelt the Steve Irwin with water balloons filled with whale blood.Wait...

They have a boat named the Steve Irwin?

Starbuck
12-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Wait...

They have a boat named the Steve Irwin?

http://www.poohduck.com/wp-content/uploads/img_0684.jpg

Adam Wood
12-30-2011, 11:09 AM
http://www.poohduck.com/wp-content/uploads/img_0684.jpg

Hilarious! Do they also have one named the James Dean? Perhaps they could have a whole fleet named after people who had unfortunately short lives: the James Dean, the Amy Winehouse, the Heath Ledger....

Novaheart
12-30-2011, 12:45 PM
2400km southwest of Fremantle

What language is this?

SarasotaRepub
12-30-2011, 12:50 PM
http://nicholsoncartoons.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/2010-01-08-Adi-Gil-Sea-Shepherd-sunk-600.jpg

txradioguy
12-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Like trying to watch a bunch of butter bars tie their boots without their platoon daddy's help :D

aka:PBS
12-30-2011, 01:23 PM
dana_b
10. damn! I hope they can get there soon

View profile
that water would kill those folks.

taterguy
11. It's summer in the southern hemisphere

View profile
What's the problem?

lumberjack_jeff
13. The ship is 52 south latitude.

View profile
Uh. That's cold.

taterguy
16. 52 degrees is not that cold

hack89
19. Slept through geography did we? nt

taterguy
24. Well excuuuuuuse me for not memorizing the temperature of every latitude degree

Oh the smarts are out in force.....:D

Novaheart
12-30-2011, 01:29 PM

Some allowance can be made. There are lifelong coastal Floridians who are not aware that you can die of hypothermia in the Gulf of Mexico when water temps are what Canadians and New Yorkers consider "bath water". Every year, some drunk falls off a dock and is rescued the next day having spent the night on a sand spit in wet clothes and 70F air. Every year, some fisherman drowns in Tampa Bay because he fell off one of those ridiculous flats boats into 70F water.

SarasotaRepub
12-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Some allowance can be made. There are lifelong coastal Floridians who are not aware that you can die of hypothermia in the Gulf of Mexico when water temps are what Canadians and New Yorkers consider "bath water". Every year, some drunk falls off a dock and is rescued the next day having spent the night on a sand spit in wet clothes and 70F air. Every year, some fisherman drowns in Tampa Bay because he fell off one of those ridiculous flats boats into 70F water.

That is true. :D

Adam Wood
12-30-2011, 01:43 PM

HHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHH!!!

aka:PBS
12-30-2011, 02:13 PM

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm they are not talking about water temp.......at 52 degrees....

Zathras
12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
What language is this?

English.

2400 Kilometers = 1295.8 Nautical Miles or 1491 Miles.

Fremantle is a port city in Western Austrailia near the city of Perth....spent some well earned liberty time there back in the 70's when I was in the USN. Fremantle was also a major base for US subs during WW2.