PDA

View Full Version : Southern food........

marv
12-29-2011, 01:57 AM
...not a recipe, but this is as good a place for this article...

For those of us who enjoy Southern cooking, and it ain't that different here in the Ozarks, here's something to digest...
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/nyt-southern-food-is-undignified.html
(snip)

The New York Times has declared down home Southern cooking undignified in a story that heaped praise on a new generation of Southern chefs while denigrating fried chicken, Cracker Barrel restaurants and the Queen of Southern Food — Paula Deen.

The food snobs at the Times attacked Miss Paula in the second sentence of their lengthy diatribe – calling her a “so-called queen of Southern food, who cooks with canned fruit and Crisco.”

(snip)

“Today, purists believe, Southern cooking is too often represented by its worst elements: feedlot hams, cheap fried chicken and chains like Cracker Barrel,” the Times whined.

Perhaps The New York Times should consider first restoring its own dignity before launching a crusade against shrimp and grits.

(snip)

In New York City, they eat boiled animal tongues. In the South we use our tongues for licking our fingers.

Southerners eat buttermilk biscuits and sip frosty glasses of sweet tea. New Yorkers nosh bagels and drink seltzer water.

New Yorkers eat fermented soy and tuna tartar – while folks in Tennessee eat fried catfish – with tarter sauce.

(snip)

So let this column be a warning to my fellow Southerners. Take up your cast iron skillets and prepare to defend our kitchens from the Yankee invaders. And let our rally cry be heard from the beaches of Biloxi to the mountains of Gatlinburg – the only good chicken is a fried chicken.

So praise the Lord and pass the biscuits.

http://nation.foxnews.com/sites/nation.foxnews.com/files/styles/dv1/public/Chicken_AP.jpg

For the record, our first meal on January 1 will be blackeyed peas with ham and cornbread.....

ironhorsedriver
12-29-2011, 09:52 AM
North Carolina, pit cooked BBQ, Slaw, Brunswick stew, maybe a little side of Squash casserole. Top it off with Banana pudding. Washed down with several tall glasses of Iced Tea, heavily sweetened. Ah, nuff said.

Hawkgirl
12-29-2011, 06:23 PM
This brings back memories of Mary Mac's in downtown Atlanta. Going back in March and will definetly be ordering their Fried Catfish.

I loves me some southern food.....and their mens ain't too bad either...:cool:

malloc
12-30-2011, 03:14 AM
North Carolina, pit cooked BBQ, Slaw, Brunswick stew, maybe a little side of Squash casserole. Top it off with Banana pudding. Washed down with several tall glasses of Iced Tea, heavily sweetened. Ah, nuff said.

My mouth watered and my stomach growled at the mere mention of N.C. Brunswick stew! I can't wait until I get sent back to Raleigh for my next rPath Linux convention.

obx
12-30-2011, 08:57 AM
The New York Times thinks the Mason Dixon line is a restaurant. The people of the South think it is a rest room.

marv
12-30-2011, 10:21 AM
The New York Times thinks the Mason Dixon line is a restaurant. The people of the South think it is a rest room.

^5.........http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/avatars/laugher.gif

JB
12-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Cracker Barrel blows and Paula Deen should be an embarrassment to Southern folk.

Fried chicken rules though.

ironhorsedriver
12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Cracker Barrel, food's OK, but portioned to small. Paula Deen, she's entertainment mostly. I don't watch her, but she's got a following apparently.

ABC in Georgia
12-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Only thing ever have eaten in Cracker Barrel ... on way to and from Florida to North Carolina, was breakfast on the road.

And IMHO you can't beat their Biscuits & Gravy!!!

Even if filled with carbs (which I avoid like the plague) and fat. Yum!

As for the New York Times opinion of Southern cooking?

THHHHBPT! Who cares? :D

~ ABC

noonwitch
01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm not a southernor, but New Yorkers are assholes. Bagels are good, though.

I live in a city that although it is northern, it is filled with people whose cooking traditions come from the south. I love it, whether it's BBQ or soul food.

I've never been to a Cracker Barrel and never will-for similar reasons to why I shop at Home Depot instead of Lowes.

Arroyo_Doble
01-05-2012, 10:03 AM

Texas BBQ uses brisket. I remember a guy from North Carolina telling me, "we piss on brisket."

I wasn't sure if he meant North Carolina BBQ is for pork or that they had a rather odd marinade.