PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum Surging In Iowa

mike128
12-29-2011, 02:44 PM
According to a recent Rasmussen Reports Iowa poll taken yesterday (December 28), Rick Santorum is now polling at 16%, and is in third place behind Flip Romney and Ron Paul. This has been the highest that Rick Santorum has ever polled in Iowa since his campaign began. Here's the link:
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/iowa/2012_iowa_republican_caucus

If anyone is reading this from Iowa, PLEASE go caucus for Rick Santorum. You don't have to settle for Ron Paul or Mr Flip-Flop. If Santorum can take Iowa then conservatives will finally have a chance in this election. Romney is no conservative, and Ron Paul can't win.

Here's another link which shows a graph of Santorum's recent surge, based on several polls:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/ia/iowa_republican_presidential_primary-1588.html

Apocalypse
12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
This helps him, but he's been the underdog for so long, the question remains of can he get out from this in such a short time.

marv
12-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Iowa? That's fine, but what does he have outside of Iowa?

Starbuck
12-29-2011, 04:11 PM

And that's the big question, isn't it? True, he'll need a good showing in Iowa, but they ain't electing President there; they're just offering their opinion about who should be The Pres.

DumbAss Tanker
12-29-2011, 06:03 PM
He is so charisma-challenged, I just have a tough time seeing him succeeding in the ultimate clash with Obama, especially once the press goes into their fawning mode over Teh One. The Senate has just been a historically poor background for GOP challengers, and that's pretty much his higher-level political experience.

Novaheart
12-29-2011, 08:38 PM

People who remember and despise him.

Molon Labe
12-29-2011, 09:07 PM
And that's the big question, isn't it? True, he'll need a good showing in Iowa, but they ain't electing President there; they're just offering their opinion about who should be The Pres.

Here's my analysis.

Here's what your dealing with. You have 3 wings of the GOP like it or not. 1 wing is the big money wallstreet establishment RINOS in Romney and the Grinch. Then you have the more social conservative wing of Santorum and Bachman. Finally the Paleocons/libertarian types in Paul and the recently dropped out Johnson. You may even include Huntsman in that too but he's a bit more complicated.....but I digress..

Iowa tends to stay away from the first group and go for the two later ones.

Santorum is the anti Gingrich. All the Grinch's support has been going to Santorum.

I'm afraid his campaign will be all but over in 5 days. He has peaked way too late, he has no money and no support, no matter how much the MSM tries to prop him up. If he finishes third like they are projecting, he cannot carry the fight elsewhere.

He got beat by around 18% points in his home state for his last congressional run....so I'm not sure what makes people think he can take on Romney, and the like or even the Obama machine.

AmPat
12-30-2011, 02:31 PM
People who remember and despise him.

They would be the mindless numb nuts who would vote for O Blah Blah anyway. No loss.

Molon Labe
12-31-2011, 08:30 PM
In case anyone missed it....here is the pic tweeted by Santorums campaign on his surge.

Looks like a winner.

https://twitter.com/#!/evanmc_s/status/153210263900930049/photo/1

mike128
01-01-2012, 08:10 AM
That's NOT fair, Molon Labe! I just got finished watching a Rick Santorum rally in Iowa on C-SPAN last night, and it was standing room only. If you really want Obama to win a second term, then go ahead and vote for your Massachusetts liberal lying flip-flopping candidate in your local primary. Social Conservatives will NOT show up for that douchebag in November. I guarantee it!

Janice
01-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Polls are one thing, but votes are another. Too many sheeple are ready to throw in the towel before a shot is even fired because of the "intelligentsia" and the media. But Reagan proved the polar opposite of "conventional wisdom" against Carter.

The pollsters are one thing, but voters may have quite a diff opinion. Pollsters have all but concluded whatever -- and NOT one vote has been cast. NOT ONE! And this is only Iowa. Big whoppee.

The media just cant help itself. Its going to spin whatever it can .. and does ... ever since the Vietnam war.

Molon Labe
01-01-2012, 12:37 PM
That's NOT fair, Molon Labe! I just got finished watching a Rick Santorum rally in Iowa on C-SPAN last night, and it was standing room only. If you really want Obama to win a second term, then go ahead and vote for your Massachusetts liberal lying flip-flopping candidate in your local primary. Social Conservatives will NOT show up for that douchebag in November. I guarantee it!

Ok...let's watch this then. How about CNN manufacturing his surge in their polling. Look at these tweets from PPP. Funny how all the polls started reflecting a surge after CNN did one.

ppppolls PublicPolicyPolling
Selzer had Santorum at 9% Tu-W. We had him at `10% M-Tu. Surge quite possibly generated by CNN poll that was quite possibly wrong

https://twitter.com/ppppolls

Santorum isn't even on the VA ballot. He has no money and can't carry on past Iowa. He is the Huck of 2012. Sorry that's reality.

Janice
01-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Santorum isn't even on the VA ballot. He has no money and can't carry on past Iowa. He is the Huck of 2012. Sorry that's reality.

Virginia AG to intervene in primary ballot dispute (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/virginia-ag-to-intervene-in-primary-ballot-dispute/2011/12/31/gIQArJuiSP_blog.html)

Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) announced today that he will intervene to ensure that more Republican presidential candidates will appear on the state’s primary ballot.

Thanks to newly stringent enforcement of rules requiring 10,000 valid signatures, only Rep. Ron Paul of Texas and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney made it onto the ballot for the state’s March 6 primary. Former House speaker Newt Gingrich and Texas Gov. Rick Perry both cried foul, with the latter suing in federal court. Gingrich, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum and former Utah governor Jon Huntsman all signed onto that effort on Saturday.

“Recent events have underscored that our system is deficient,” Cuccinelli said in a statement. “Virginia owes her citizens a better process. We can do it in time for the March primary if we resolve to do so quickly.”

Cuccinelli was backed up by two Democratic former attorney generals, Steve Rosenthal and Tony Troy.

Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) is also open to broadening the requirements, according to a spokesman.

Molon Labe
01-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Virginia AG to intervene in primary ballot dispute (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/virginia-ag-to-intervene-in-primary-ballot-dispute/2011/12/31/gIQArJuiSP_blog.html)

Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) announced today that he will intervene to ensure that more Republican presidential candidates will appear on the state’s primary ballot.

Thanks to newly stringent enforcement of rules requiring 10,000 valid signatures, only Rep. Ron Paul of Texas and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney made it onto the ballot for the state’s March 6 primary. Former House speaker Newt Gingrich and Texas Gov. Rick Perry both cried foul, with the latter suing in federal court. Gingrich, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum and former Utah governor Jon Huntsman all signed onto that effort on Saturday.

“Recent events have underscored that our system is deficient,” Cuccinelli said in a statement. “Virginia owes her citizens a better process. We can do it in time for the March primary if we resolve to do so quickly.”

Cuccinelli was backed up by two Democratic former attorney generals, Steve Rosenthal and Tony Troy.

Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) is also open to broadening the requirements, according to a spokesman.

yes...I know....isn't it grand how that works...

The point of this thread is that polls drive people to take action and so does the media. Those tweets represent that if it had been Perry getting the inflated numbers we would be talking about him instead of Santorum

Molon Labe
01-02-2012, 01:00 AM
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/01/headed-for-a-photo-finish-in-iowa.html

lol Santorum is taking votes from Romney...

Molon Labe
01-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Update on Janice post. Looks like Cuçcinelli failed. None or them are getting on VA ballot.

mike128
01-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Update on Janice post. Looks like Cuçcinelli failed. None or them are getting on VA ballot.
Then I think Virginians should just write in Rick Santorum's name.

Novaheart
01-03-2012, 09:56 AM

For a good time, call Ricky 1-800-ima-putz

noonwitch
01-03-2012, 10:01 AM

As long as they don't google it!

AmPat
01-03-2012, 11:29 AM
For a good time, call Ricky 1-800-ima-putz

:rolleyes:

cowboyjack
01-03-2012, 11:58 AM
First, social conservatives will show up, but only because they are totally against Obama. If they do not show up then they have no say in the next four years. Second, the use of language that is not proper. Keep it civil. I am not a prude, just believe that use of good English will accomplish more.

Final thought. The group of voters that any Republican candidate needs to attract is the independent middle.

DumbAss Tanker
01-03-2012, 12:17 PM
First, social conservatives will show up, but only because they are totally against Obama. If they do not show up then they have no say in the next four years. Second, the use of language that is not proper. Keep it civil. I am not a prude, just believe that use of good English will accomplish more.

Final thought. The group of voters that any Republican candidate needs to attract is the independent middle.

Honestly, it's just not the done thing to come onto a forum and start dictating how others express themselves within the limits of whatever the terms of use allow. Speak as rough or refined as you wish, by all means.

mike128
01-03-2012, 01:22 PM

You really think that social conservatives will show up and vote for Flip Romney, who not only created the blueprint for Obamacare, but also approved Massachusetts state funding for abortions?? REALLY?? :rolleyes:

AmPat
01-03-2012, 01:39 PM
You really think that social conservatives will show up and vote for Flip Romney, who not only created the blueprint for Obamacare, but also approved Massachusetts state funding for abortions?? REALLY?? :rolleyes:

I do. Dear Leader, our "Christian" president, who took over two years to find a Church after a 20 year membership in a hate filled "Christian" Church, supports partial birth abortion. This same "Christian" president pushed NATIONAL health care down our throats despite massive negative reaction to it. I believe that social Conservatives know the difference between Flip and Dear Leader.:cool:

mike128
01-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I do. Dear Leader, our "Christian" president, who took over two years to find a Church after a 20 year membership in a hate filled "Christian" Church, supports partial birth abortion. This same "Christian" president pushed NATIONAL health care down our throats despite massive negative reaction to it. I believe that social Conservatives know the difference between Flip and Dear Leader.:cool:
I'm sorry, AmPat. But THIS Social Conservative can NOT vote for either Obama or Flip-Flop Romney. For Social Conservatives, like myself, issues like abortion are no compromise issues. And I am not willing to vote for a lying flip-flopper just to win. If Obama wins as a result of that, then it's NOT my fault; it's the fault of the "Republican Establishment" for promoting Romney, and disregarding how Social Conservatives feel about him. So, if Flip Romney is really the nominee, then the GOP will get what they deserve in 2012, just like they did in 2008 with McCain. And I could care less, because regardless of who wins in an Obama-Romney contest, the country will NOT be better off!

Molon Labe
01-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry, AmPat. But THIS Social Conservative can NOT vote for either Obama or Flip-Flop Romney. For Social Conservatives, like myself, issues like abortion are no compromise issues. And I am not willing to vote for a lying flip-flopper just to win. If Obama wins as a result of that, then it's NOT my fault; it's the fault of the "Republican Establishment" for promoting Romney, and disregarding how Social Conservatives feel about him. So, if Flip Romney is really the nominee, then the GOP will get what they deserve in 2012, just like they did in 2008 with McCain. And I could care less, because regardless of who wins in an Obama-Romney contest, the country will NOT be better off!

In my experience....social conservatives have always lined up for whatever walking heartbeat the GOP gives the nomination. The ones with actual principles who don't show up don't really decide elections anymore. You overestimate this.

The power of winning elections is in who pulls in Independants.

What Cowboyjack said.

mike128
01-03-2012, 04:31 PM
In my experience....social conservatives have always lined up for whatever walking heartbeat the GOP gives the nomination. The ones with actual principles who don't show up don't really decide elections anymore. You overestimate this.

The power of winning elections is in who pulls in Independants.

What Cowboyjack said.
I really think things are going to be different this year, Molon Labe. Especially with the onslaught of the Tea Party victories in 2010. "Moderate" Republicans LOST in 2010. And I can safely say that Obama will be guaranteed a second term if Massachusetts Liberal Liar Flip-Flop Romney becomes the Republican nominee. And I will NOT apologize for sitting out the general election this November, if Flip-Flop Romney becomes the Republican nominee for president.

Molon Labe
01-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I really think things are going to be different this year, Molon Labe. Especially with the onslaught of the Tea Party victories in 2010. "Moderate" Republicans LOST in 2010. And I can safely say that Obama will be guaranteed a second term if Massachusetts Liberal Liar Flip-Flop Romney becomes the Republican nominee. And I will NOT apologize for sitting out the general election this November, if Flip-Flop Romney becomes the Republican nominee for president.

My mother in law is one of those social conservatives. She pulled the lever as did every member of her Christian coaltion freinds, for McCain in 08. Independents represent around 20 to 40% of voting blocks depending on who you listen to and during different election cycles. Many of them will tend to stay home if candidates are complete crap.

I think Social conservatives represent about 5 to 10%? Most of them I know see voting as the be all end all of their political activism and it's outright blasphemy for them to stay home on an election day. If you stay home, you are the exception in my opinon.

mike128
01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
My mother in law is one of those social conservatives. She pulled the lever as did every member of her Christian coaltion freinds, for McCain in 08. Independents represent around 20 to 40% of voting blocks depending on who you listen to and during different election cycles. Many of them will tend to stay home if candidates are complete crap.

I think Social conservatives represent about 5 to 10%? Most of them I know see voting as the be all end all of their political activism and it's outright blasphemy for them to stay home on an election day. If you stay home, you are the exception in my opinon.
Guess what? I ALSO reluctlantly pulled the lever for McCain back in 2008. At least he was a war hero and his record on abortion wasn't as bad as Romney's. But Mitt Romney has been a disgrace to the Republican Party and all of its principles. And I will NOT vote for the author of the blueprint of Obamacare just to win an election. NO WAY!

wwworkingguy
01-03-2012, 05:52 PM

Is it true that only 3 winners in Iowa won the Republican nomination since 1979?

wwworkingguy
01-03-2012, 05:55 PM

This attitude is exactly what Obama is banking on. It is more than stupidity..... it is idiocy.

Janice
01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Iowa Caucuses: The Historical Importance of Victory (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/12/iowa-caucuses-the-historical-importance-of-victory/)

The Iowa caucus has had about a 50 percent “success” rate when it comes to predicting the nominee, meaning that roughly half the time the winner in Iowa goes on to secure their party’s nomination for president. On the Republican side, among the winners of the past six Republican caucuses, three have gone on to win the GOP nomination. George W. Bush, Bob Dole and Gerald Ford each won Iowa, but John McCain, George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan did not emerge victorious after that first vote.

Democrats have about the same prediction rate. Since Iowa moved to the first in the nation voting contest in 1972, five out of the total nine Democratic victors in Iowa have gone on to become the Democratic nominee for president. Two of them — Barack Obama and Jimmy Carter — have gone on to become president.

As for that third place finish — the candidate who secures that spot will be in good company. Three former third place finishers have gone on to win their party’s nomination, and two have gone on to become President; Bill Clinton placed third in 1992, as did both of the eventual nominees in 1988- George H.W.Bush and former Massachusetts Gov. Michael Dukakis. (Interestingly enough, George H.W. Bush finished first in Iowa when he ran against Ronald Reagan in 1980.)

Even a fourth-place finish does not necessarily indicate that a candidates run is over. In 2008 John McCain finished in fourth place, coming in just behind former Sen. Fred Thompson.

------------------------------------

I think some folk put waaaaay too much stock in the Iowa polls and .. even the results sometimes.The pollsters and pundits stand over "there". Voters stand over "here". All these predictions and not one vote has been cast. Votes are what matter. And we dont vote using "inside the beltway"wisdom"".

Retread
01-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Anybody that stays home can't complain about a single thing. Elections are about the best candidate who is on the ballot, not about who did not run ir who lost a primary.

JoeKwonDo
01-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Anybody that stays home can't complain about a single thing. Elections are about the best candidate who is on the ballot, not about who did not run or who lost a primary.

Amen, any idiot who is whining because their candidate isn't doing so well and is thinking of sitting it out should read this about 10,000 times.

AmPat
01-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Amen, any idiot who is whining because their candidate isn't doing so well and is thinking of sitting it out should read this about 10,000 times.

They should also be made to march in the inaugural parade of Dear Leader on his second coronation.:cool:

On edit: Are you paying attention Mike128?

Zathras
01-05-2012, 05:13 PM
They should also be made to march in the inaugural parade of Dear Leader on his second coronation.:cool:

On edit: Are you paying attention Mike128?

He can't hear you...he's too busy screaming "I HATE MITT ROMNEY.....YEEEAAARGHHHH!!!!".

Zathras
01-05-2012, 05:18 PM
This attitude is exactly what Obama is banking on. It is more than stupidity..... it is idiocy.

Which is why DUmbass128 is all for it....not only is he an idiot but a liberal supporter....after all he did say he'd rather see Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown win the election here in California than Meg Whitman. Doesn't sound like much of a conservative to me.

Retread
01-05-2012, 05:33 PM
When it is all said and done the electorate is split almost evenly three ways.
The dims who will vote for a yellow dog if he is on the ballot as a dim
The GOP/right/Repubs/conservatives who will vote Republican unless they don't vote at all.
The 'middle'/independent/swing vote that decides each and every election.

The GOP wins the presidency, if and only if, they can motivate the base to go to the polls and then swing over half of the indy vote to their side.

AmPat
01-05-2012, 07:21 PM
He can't hear you...he's too busy screaming "I HATE MITT ROMNEY.....YEEEAAARGHHHH!!!!".

Well he, and those like him, had better pull their collective heads out of their asses before the election. No matter who opposes the Marxist, he is WAAAAAY better than the Inept One we have.

mike128
01-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Which is why DUmbass128 is all for it....not only is he an idiot but a liberal supporter....after all he did say he'd rather see Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown win the election here in California than Meg Whitman. Doesn't sound like much of a conservative to me.
You can call me a "dumbass" all you want, Zathras. But Meg Whitman is a pro-abortion liberal who would have run for president from delegate-rich California, had she become governor. Thank God she lost! At least now, California Republicans have a chance to get a REAL conservative, like Darrell Issa, elected governor, instead of getting stuck with liberal Meg Whitman for 8 full years; or even worse, President Meg Whitman in 2013.

It is my goal to return the Republican Party back to the party of Ronald Reagan. And if that means purging out phony RINO liberals, like Meg Whitman and Flip-Flop Romney, than so be it!

The GOP establishment "nowhere else to go" line just won't work anymore!

Sorry you don't see it that way.

AmPat
01-07-2012, 11:53 AM
You can call me a "dumbass" all you want, Zathras. But Meg Whitman is a pro-abortion liberal who would have run for president from delegate-rich California, had she become governor. Thank God she lost! At least now, California Republicans have a chance to get a REAL conservative, like Darrell Issa, elected governor, instead of getting stuck with liberal Meg Whitman for 8 full years; or even worse, President Meg Whitman in 2013.

It is my goal to return the Republican Party back to the party of Ronald Reagan. And if that means purging out phony RINO liberals, like Meg Whitman and Flip-Flop Romney, than so be it!

Damn the war, I want that hill.

You don't and will never get everything you want. You will never get a perfect candidate. You cannot change the GOP establishment by holding your vote and allowing DIMS to win. The way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. You have a problem mixing admirable idealism with unrealistic strategy. You remind me of the hero who sits in the bleachers and makes fun of the players on the floor because you didn't make the team.

Zathras
01-07-2012, 02:42 PM

What I see in you is a petulant 2 year old child throwing a temper tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants for Christmas. Meg Whitman was never going to run for President no matter what you paranoid little brain tells you. As for a real conservative being elected for Govenor here in California? Not going to happen in the current political enviroment and if you lived here instead of New Jersey you'd understand this fact. Too bad you have your head stuck so far up your ass that you can't see this.

As for your "goal"? You remind me of a certain sea captain and his pursuit of a white whale...and we all know how well that came out, don't we.

fettpett
01-07-2012, 10:21 PM
What I see in you is a petulant 2 year old child throwing a temper tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants for Christmas. Meg Whitman was never going to run for President no matter what you paranoid little brain tells you. As for a real conservative being elected for Govenor here in California? Not going to happen in the current political enviroment and if you lived here instead of New Jersey you'd understand this fact. Too bad you have your head stuck so far up your ass that you can't see this.

As for your "goal"? You remind me of a certain sea captain and his pursuit of a white whale...and we all know how well that came out, don't we.

QFT