PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Attorney General Intervenes in GOP Primary Ballot Dispute

Rockntractor
12-31-2011, 01:41 PM
By Carl Cameron

Published December 31, 2011

| FoxNews.com

Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli is intervening in the Virginia presidential primary dispute and plans to file emergency legislation to address the inability of most Republican presidential candidates to get their name on the ballot, Fox News has learned.

Only Mitt Romney and Ron Paul qualified for the Virginia primary, a contest with 49 delegates up for grabs.

The failure of other candidates to qualify -- notably Newt Gingrich and Rick Perry -- led to complaints that the 10,000-signature requirement is too stringent.

Cuccinelli, who is a Republican, shared the concerns.

"Recent events have underscored that our system is deficient," he said in a statement. "Virginia owes her citizens a better process. We can do it in time for the March primary if we resolve to do so quickly."

Cuccinelli's proposal is expected to state that if the Virginia Board of Elections certifies that a candidate is receiving federal matching funds, or has qualified to receive them, that candidate will upon request be automatically added to the ballot.

Two former Democratic attorneys general are also backing the move, along with a former Democratic state party chairman and a former Republican state party chairman.

Former state Attorney General Tony Troy called the Virginia process a "legal and constitutional embarrassment."

Fellow former top Virginia prosecutor Steve Rosenthal said: "This is not a Democratic or Republican issue. If it takes emergency legislation, then we need to do it."

Sources told Fox News that Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell is expected to support the emergency legislation as well.

Perry has meanwhile filed a lawsuit, while a local activist has filed another lawsuit on Gingrich's behalf -- though the individual is not with the campaign.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/31/virginia-attorney-general-intervenes-in-gop-primary-ballot-dispute/#ixzz1i8RWV4Jh

Molon Labe
12-31-2011, 04:58 PM
yeah saw that. I like Ken C. He's been a good republican and represents the tea party wing. I met him 4 years ago and supported his AG run. Hope he's not becoming a sell out.

That being said...what kind of message are we sending if we are saying the laws don't apply and we can just make exceptions for these guys. If he's saying the systems broken, then fine, fix it next year. But don't just say it's a "do over" for crybaby establishment Repubs who couldn't get enough sigs.

Bet they wouldn't have done this for anyone else.

Rockntractor
01-01-2012, 03:22 AM
yeah saw that. I like Ken C. He's been a good republican and represents the tea party wing. I met him 4 years ago and supported his AG run. Hope he's not becoming a sell out.

That being said...what kind of message are we sending if we are saying the laws don't apply and we can just make exceptions for these guys. If he's saying the systems broken, then fine, fix it next year. But don't just say it's a "do over" for crybaby establishment Repubs who couldn't get enough sigs.

Bet they wouldn't have done this for anyone else.

Allowing people to vote for their choice of candidate is not wrong, let me decide and not some politician who puts technicalities in the way.
These primaries are way to early this time and I have a problem with that, also as I have mentioned before we should have all primaries on the same day, the parties would have a much harder time forcing their choice of candidates on the voters.

Molon Labe
01-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Allowing people to vote for their choice of candidate is not wrong, let me decide and not some politician who puts technicalities in the way.
These primaries are way to early this time and I have a problem with that, also as I have mentioned before we should have all primaries on the same day, the parties would have a much harder time forcing their choice of candidates on the voters.

I agree. However, presently, VA law says you have to have 10k votes to get on the ballot. Everyone except Paul an Romney had the ability to do that. So you are saying ignore the law?

What I'm saying is I'll bet had it not been two of the establishment candidates, that no one would have blinked an eye about it.

Rockntractor
01-01-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree. However, presently, VA law says you have to have 10k votes to get on the ballot. Everyone except Paul an Romney had the ability to do that. So you are saying ignore the law?

What I'm saying is I'll bet had it not been two of the establishment candidates, that no one would have blinked an eye about it.

It isn't ignoring the law if they have a emergency session and change it, unjust laws are changed all the time when contested.

Starbuck
01-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Why should state law be concerned at all with the Republican balloting process?

Shouldn't that be left up to the Republican party? If the Republican party wants to allow someone to be placed on the ballot with only 1 signature they should be allowed to do so.

Molon Labe
01-01-2012, 02:18 PM
It isn't ignoring the law if they have a emergency session and change it, unjust laws are changed all the time when contested.

Unjust? it's a balloting process that has been in effect for years. It's only unjust cause the big boys couldn't get their shit together.

An example of an unjust law is one where you can't buy a handgun for 5 days.

Nevermind....it actually hurts Romney anyways...it's a good thing. It pulls his votes away.

Novaheart
01-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Why should state law be concerned at all with the Republican balloting process?

Shouldn't that be left up to the Republican party? If the Republican party wants to allow someone to be placed on the ballot with only 1 signature they should be allowed to do so.

Do the voters register with the GOP or the state?
Does the GOP pay for the polls and voting?

I see a good reason for the state to take a look at this, but it's not one of fairness or equal application of policy.

If half of the major candidates can't be on the ballot in Virginia, then it would tend to show the insignificance of Virginia's primary election. Let's say that Santorum and Bachmann were the only ones on the ballot. Either one of them could get 100% and it wouldn't mean squat, because neither one of them is electable nationally. Virginia risks appearing irrelevant.

Rockntractor
01-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Unjust? it's a balloting process that has been in effect for years. It's only unjust cause the big boys couldn't get their shit together.

An example of an unjust law is one where you can't buy a handgun for 5 days.

Nevermind....it actually hurts Romney anyways...it's a good thing. It pulls his votes away.

How about this, a ballot with a blank line where you right in the name of your choice, the dem with the most votes gets That states nomination as does the repub with the most votes. all states vote the same day.

Kay
01-01-2012, 05:05 PM

I second this. The primaries should be held on the same day in every state.

Rockntractor
01-03-2012, 04:30 PM
I heard on Mark Levin the rules were changed one month before the deadline and that was why the candidates were late. It would seem the Republican party were trying to stack the deck in favor of Romney.

Articulate_Ape
01-03-2012, 04:48 PM
No way, they would never do that, Rock.

Molon Labe
01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
I heard on Mark Levin the rules were changed one month before the deadline and that was why the candidates were late. It would seem the Republican party were trying to stack the deck in favor of Romney.

Levin is an idiot. I'm in the VA GOP and everyone knew damn well when the deadline was for this. Romney and Paul didn't have a problem getting it done.

They actually followed the compliance guidelines.