PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Obama Jokes: "I Kind Of Like" Being Called Your Excellency

Rockntractor
01-03-2012, 11:46 PM
First Lady Michelle Obama is to make a guest appearance on an upcoming episode of the popular Nickelodeon show iCarly.

In the episode, which airs on January 16, the First Lady helps the show's title character Carly get in touch with her father, an Air Force colonel who can't make it home for his birthday.

Obama surprises the girl and her friends, which leads to her being called "Your Excellency" by Carly's friend Sam Puckett.

After being corrected by a friend that you don't call the First Lady that, Michelle Obama jumps in and says "No, no, I kind of like it."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/01/03/michelle_obama_i_kind_of_like_being_called_your_ex cellency.html

NJCardFan
01-04-2012, 02:01 AM
It's a TV show and it's in a script. Don't read too much into it.

Rockntractor
01-04-2012, 02:09 AM
It's a TV show and it's in a script. Don't read too much into it.

Some how I don't think either of the Bush first lady's would have agreed to the script.

BadCat
01-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Some how I don't think either of the Bush first lady's would have agreed to the script.

Yeah. They're not as pompous as the current First Fat Ass.

Bailey
01-04-2012, 08:59 AM

I am not sure on what kind of camera angles they will use to keep that fat ass out of view but it should be fun to watch them try.

txradioguy
01-04-2012, 08:59 AM

Imagine the outrage from the professional left if they had.

Bailey
01-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Imagine the outrage from the professional left if they had.

You aint kidding, I can picture the howls from the MSM right about now.

noonwitch
01-04-2012, 09:48 AM

But Nancy Reagan would have held out until they made it "Your Majesty".

Arroyo_Doble
01-04-2012, 10:03 AM

Frances Clara Cleveland would have done so on two non-consecutive occasions.

Tipsycatlover
01-04-2012, 10:47 AM
It wasn't a joke.

Rockntractor
01-04-2012, 10:50 AM

I guess you have forgotten the episode with the dishes, the First Ladies of the past were a bit more humble than you care to admit.

txradioguy
01-04-2012, 01:47 PM

You're an idiot.

A dyed in the wool DU kool-aid drinking idologue.

Stupid comments like this prove it.

<---DU is that way

txradioguy
01-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I guess you have forgotten the episode with the dishes, the First Ladies of the past were a bit more humble than you care to admit.

She hasn't forgotten...she just repeats what she's told to say.

Like a good little leftist.

SaintLouieWoman
01-04-2012, 02:18 PM

Don't forget the pompous Annointed One. I'm still waiting for him to drown if he's standing out in a hard rain with that nose of his pointed to the sky.

Michele and Barack are indeed a well matched pair (not a compliment).

linda22003
01-04-2012, 02:21 PM

You never know what First Ladies will do.

http://blacke.mysbrforum.com/photos/l/2l1024ys.jpg

noonwitch
01-04-2012, 02:26 PM

No, I didn't forget that. I do remember the IRS audit that found that she and Ronny never paid taxes on the gifts they received from donors while he was president. They had to pay $3 million in back taxes.

There is no more evidence of Michelle Obama being all uppity than there is of Nancy Reagan feeling the same way. It's all subjective and based on how one feels about the president/husband's politics. She wants children to eat healthy diets and get more exercise, Nancy wanted them to say no to drugs. Both care about american kids having healthy lives.

You could even make a case that the War on Drugs policies implemented by the Reagan administration have eroded our constitutional freedoms much faster than policies that encourage restaurants to offer healthy alternatives to french fries have done, or even have the potential to do. "Just Say No" was the propaganda wing of the WOD. Now, pretty much every employed adult has to submit urine samples to their employer on a regular basis, and a good number of high school students are required to do the same. The government can confiscate money and property from someone who is accused of drug crimes before that person is even convicted of a crime, thus subverting due process. The government pays television networks to incorporate anti-drug messages in their shows, an unnecessary spenditure at the least and a crossover into censorship at the most.

linda22003
01-04-2012, 02:27 PM

She sang "Second Hand Rose" at the Gridiron Dinner in 1982, in response to the criticism on her fashion sense and buying all new china for the White House (privately funded, by the way).

http://www.presidentsrus.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/reagan-nancy-2nd-hand-clothes.jpg

Rockntractor
01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
(privately funded, by the way).

http://www.presidentsrus.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/reagan-nancy-2nd-hand-clothes.jpg

My point exactly, thank you.

NJCardFan
01-04-2012, 05:39 PM
She sang "Second Hand Rose" at the Gridiron Dinner in 1982, in response to the criticism on her fashion sense and buying all new china for the White House (privately funded, by the way).

You do realize that every new president gets their own set of China, right? BTW, your hero Bill Clinton's China was stolen by his staff. This probably happened with the band of hicks Carter routinely had in the WH.

linda22003
01-05-2012, 10:50 AM
You do realize that every new president gets their own set of China, right? BTW, your hero Bill Clinton's China was stolen by his staff. This probably happened with the band of hicks Carter routinely had in the WH.

This is not true. The full set of Reagan china was the first purchase of an entire service since the Johnson administration. Before that, the last entire service was from the Truman administration. You can get a full list of services and when they were added to/augmented from Wikipedia.
Easily the most fabulous set of China was introduced during the Hayes administration. Lucy Hayes chose "flora and fauna of America" as the theme, and Limoges designed a gorgeous service. Here's a serving platter:

http://antiquesandthearts.com/Archives/2008/05-May/images//2008-05-27__11-18-22Image3.GIF

An oyster plate (obviously):

http://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits/pic/2002/turkey/plate_67_138_1b.jpg

Two dinner plates:

http://p2.la-img.com/302/14178/4429112_1_l.jpg

Limoges did a fantastic job. (My own formal china is Limoges [Haviland], so I'm prejudiced). The Wilson china was the first to be produced in America, and since then Lenox, Castleton, or Pickard have produced all of the White House services.

AmPat
01-05-2012, 04:23 PM
It's just a script so I don't find it too disturbing. I also don't find it much of a stretch for her. I imagine her having no qualms whatsoever repeating those lines.

Novaheart
01-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Is it inappropriate to call the President's wife "Your excellency."?

Excellency is an honorific style given to certain members of an organization or state.

Usually, people addressed as excellency are heads of state, heads of government, governors, ambassadors, certain ecclesiastics, royalty, aristocracy, and military, and others holding equivalent rank (e.g., heads of international organizations, high commissioners in the Commonwealth of Nations).

It is sometimes misinterpreted as a title of office in itself, but in fact is an honorific that precedes various titles (such as Mr. President, and so on), both in speech and in writing. In reference to such an official, it takes the form His/Her Excellency; in direct address, Your Excellency, or, less formally, simply Excellency.

The abbreviation HE is often used instead of His Excellency; alternatively it may stand for His Eminence.

Rockntractor
01-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Is it inappropriate to call the President's wife "Your excellency."?

Excellency is an honorific style given to certain members of an organization or state.

Usually, people addressed as excellency are heads of state, heads of government, governors, ambassadors, certain ecclesiastics, royalty, aristocracy, and military, and others holding equivalent rank (e.g., heads of international organizations, high commissioners in the Commonwealth of Nations).

It is sometimes misinterpreted as a title of office in itself, but in fact is an honorific that precedes various titles (such as Mr. President, and so on), both in speech and in writing. In reference to such an official, it takes the form His/Her Excellency; in direct address, Your Excellency, or, less formally, simply Excellency.

The abbreviation HE is often used instead of His Excellency; alternatively it may stand for His Eminence.

What a ditz!

JB
01-05-2012, 06:25 PM
That dopey clip is what everyone is getting so worked up over? Oy.

I seem to recall GW once saying...I don't have a problem with a dictatorship, as long as I'm the dictator. Or something like that.

I remember us laughing at the DUmmies when they went nuts over that statement. I can see them laughing at us now.

Rockntractor
01-05-2012, 07:03 PM

I seem to recall GW once saying...I don't have a problem with a dictatorship, as long as I'm the dictator. Or something like that.

I remember us laughing at the DUmmies when they went nuts over that statement. I can see them laughing at us now.

If this was the only thing that would be true, but this is just a continuation of their constant arrogance like the 4 million vacation they just finished.

AmPat
01-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Her Immenseness would be more fitting. Hat tip, Mork

txradioguy
01-06-2012, 02:28 AM

I'm sure then that you can produce the clip of him saying that?

Or find in the archives here where DU laughed about it?

Your ability to recall thigns accurately and claim to know how people reacted has a really piss poor track record around here.

Arroyo_Doble
01-06-2012, 09:52 AM

It is a pretty notorious clip.

I thought it was just his sense of humor, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD3xfT0c99g

Rockntractor
01-06-2012, 10:39 AM

Or find in the archives here where DU laughed about it?

Your ability to recall thigns accurately and claim to know how people reacted has a really piss poor track record around here.

He did but was clearly joking, GW is a humble honorable man, no one can say that about either of the Obamas and keep a straight face, favorite libtard trick, evoke Bush.

txradioguy
01-06-2012, 01:53 PM
He did but was clearly joking, GW is a humble honorable man, no one can say that about either of the Obamas and keep a straight face, favorite libtard trick, evoke Bush.

Yeah well when you're dealing with Libtards...their BDS doesn't let them be rational.

JB
01-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Dude, have you considered seeing an anger management professional? You need to.
I'm sure then that you can produce the clip of him saying that?It took me about .0007 seconds to find it but since it's already been posted, I'll refrain.
Or find in the archives here where DU laughed about it?Actually, what I would do would be to search DU where they went crazy about it and then search CU to show where we laughed about it. Since GW was goofing (and he wasn't serious about it), once they went nuts about it, we would have laughed at them for going nuts. It's what we do here. If you haven't realized that yet, I don't know what to tell you. Since this all happened six years ago, I will be unable to find threads on CU about it. And frankly, I don't care to.

I searched DU. There's a gajillion threads where they are going crazy about Bush wanting to be a dictator, how it will destroy the country, etc. If you don't know how to search DU, ask me nicely and I will post a link to a thread for you. Be sure to say please. (by the way, gajillion is simple hyperbole (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Hyperbole). don't take it literally (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/literally))
Your ability to recall thigns accurately and claim to know how people reacted has a really piss poor track record around here.Other than ONE thread where you and I have disagreed on historical facts, kindly post a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 10th thread where I "have an inability to recall things accurately...and a poor track record around here". Since you can't, why don't you just keep your fat fucking mouth shut you giant douche. And a giant douche you are. You're stalking enough people around this board. Do you really want to add me to the list. Now, shut the fuck up and do not slander me again.