PDA

View Full Version : Teacher stuffs autistic boy into a duffel bag

SaintLouieWoman
01-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Outrageous treatment of an autistic boy (http://entertainment.verizon.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9S1J61G0%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011)

I don't believe that a teacher stuffed an autistic kid into a duffel bag at school for misbehaving. It's an AP article that didn't go into the specifics about whether the child was mainstreamed into a regular class or if it was a class devoted to kids with developmental problems.

No matter which type class, it sounds like the staff there needs additional training in handling kids with developmental difficulties. This isn't the Middle Ages. I'm sure the teacher was overwhelmed, but the school district is responsible for supporting both students and teachers. That teacher made a really bad decision in her handling of the situation, in my opinion.

Articulate_Ape
01-04-2012, 12:07 PM
I agree. Everyone knows that a steamer trunk is far sturdier.

noonwitch
01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
I love working with autistic kids, they are so much fun. They seem to like me, too, because they seek me out at the pool and in public places. I know how frustrating some of the behavior can be, especially with autistic kids who also have developmental disabilities, but dealing with it in this manner not only is cruel, it also probably will cause an increase in misbehavior in that adult's presence from that point on.

The school district needs to help the mom make alternate arrangements, even if they have to pay for a private school, transport the kid to a neighboring district or find a specialized school program through a local college or university. They also need to fire the teacher in question.

Bailey
01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
I agree. Everyone knows that a steamer trunk is far sturdier.

I know I am going to burn for laughing at this but that was funny lol

SaintLouieWoman
01-04-2012, 01:58 PM
I love working with autistic kids, they are so much fun. They seem to like me, too, because they seek me out at the pool and in public places. I know how frustrating some of the behavior can be, especially with autistic kids who also have developmental disabilities, but dealing with it in this manner not only is cruel, it also probably will cause an increase in misbehavior in that adult's presence from that point on.

The school district needs to help the mom make alternate arrangements, even if they have to pay for a private school, transport the kid to a neighboring district or find a specialized school program through a local college or university. They also need to fire the teacher in question.

You have some good ideas on how to correct the situation that probably are a good alternative to the homeschooling.

Elspeth
01-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Usually, most teachers are not specifically trained to deal with autism and other disorders unless they are specifically Special Ed teachers. In fact, most teacher training (outside of Special Ed) does not even cover common learning disorders (like dyslexia) no less far more severe issues.

AmPat
01-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Maybe that was the class room "no spin zone?":eek:

Novaheart
01-05-2012, 05:15 PM
You have some good ideas on how to correct the situation that probably are a good alternative to the homeschooling.

I wish someone would have the guts to institute vouchers nationwide.

We had to jump through hoops to keep Little Darling in private school, and ended up homeschooling.