PDA

View Full Version : Okla. Woman Shoots, Kills Intruder: 911 Operators Say It's OK to Shoot

RedGrouse
01-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Okla. Woman Shoots, Kills Intruder: 911 Operators Say It's OK to Shoot
http://abcnews.go.com/US/okla-woman-shoots-kills-intruder911-operators-shoot/story?id=15285605

Why ask permission to blast some scumbags to Hell. Good for her. One less scumbag on this planet. :D

NJCardFan
01-05-2012, 03:52 AM
Pfft, I'd call 9-1-1 and ask them if it's OK to start cleaning the blood or should I wait for the police first.

Starbuck
01-05-2012, 10:55 AM
An 18 year old mother. Infant. Husband already died of cancer.

It helps to recognize the symptoms. When I look at the facts of this case I see someone who was a abandoned long ago, and learned that she, alone, is the only one she can truly rely upon. She had the presence of mind to quiet the baby, call 911, and then shoot the bad guy. I was once 17 and alone in the world. It was no fun. God Bless her.:hug:

noonwitch
01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/okla-woman-shoots-kills-intruder911-operators-shoot/story?id=15285605

Why ask permission to blast some scumbags to Hell.

She's polite?

Lanie
01-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Why ask permission to blast some scumbags to Hell. Good for her. One less scumbag on this planet. :D

Maybe she thought the 911 operator knew some things about how the law would handle it. I hope they don't try to arrest her or the operator.

Adam Wood
01-05-2012, 12:39 PM
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. More than twenty minutes, in this case.

Elspeth
01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. More than twenty minutes, in this case.

In LA, it's more like 40 minutes, provided they actually show up.

Edited to add: The Okla woman is not being charged:

http://news.yahoo.com/okla-mom-wont-face-charges-shooting-intruder-031645004.html

Wei Wu Wei
01-05-2012, 06:11 PM
In LA, it's more like 40 minutes, provided they actually show up.

Edited to add: The Okla woman is not being charged:

http://news.yahoo.com/okla-mom-wont-face-charges-shooting-intruder-031645004.html

The accomplice is being charged with 1st degree murder for his role in the death instead. I don't think that makes sense. He should definitely be charged with burglary for breaking in and manslaughter for the death, or maybe 2nd degree murder instead. I thought 1st degree was only for premeditated murder, which this was not. I wouldn't want the guy to get a light sentence because the charges brought against him are bogus.

Of course the woman should not be charged with anything, she might even be entitled for psychological damages from the accomplice for being forced to take a life.

Rockntractor
01-05-2012, 06:19 PM
The accomplice is being charged with 1st degree murder for his role in the death instead. I don't think that makes sense. He should definitely be charged with burglary for breaking in and manslaughter for the death, or maybe 2nd degree murder instead. I thought 1st degree was only for premeditated murder, which this was not. I wouldn't want the guy to get a light sentence because the charges brought against him are bogus.

Of course the woman should not be charged with anything, she might even be entitled for psychological damages from the accomplice for being forced to take a life.

The first degree is likely a plan to get him to plea bargain down, you are right, it doesn't fit the legal description of the crime.

Adam Wood
01-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Of course the woman should not be charged with anything, she might even be entitled for psychological damages from the accomplice for being forced to take a life.In the eyes of the law, the pre-meditation is not for the murder, but for going to the house with the intent of committing a burgle. IOW, because he planned to go to the house, and he knew that what they were doing could potentially result in bodily harm or death, he as much as planned the killing.

It's a pretty long-standing legal precept, actually. We just don't often hear about it.

namvet
01-05-2012, 08:01 PM
not all states give you the right to home defense. OK does and mine and some others

AmPat
01-05-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't even care what the states allow. Step into my home uninvited and you'll be room temp soon. I figure they still don't put dead people in prison so if I go, I'm alive. Maybe the ACLU would take my case?

ABC in Georgia
01-05-2012, 09:00 PM
not all states give you the right to home defense. OK does and mine and some others

Georgia has a "Stand Your Ground Law" ... Shoot first, ask questions later, type of thing.

Passed in 2006 or something. Think that it is still on the books.

Couldn't find any up to date info.

~ ABC

namvet
01-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Georgia has a "Stand Your Ground Law" ... Shoot first, ask questions later, type of thing.

Passed in 2006 or something. Think that it is still on the books.

Couldn't find any up to date info.

~ ABC

shoot first then explain it all at city hall

Novaheart
01-05-2012, 09:33 PM

I'm wondering what the dog was doing. Wouldn't the dog be attacking the man as he came through the door? How did she shoot the man but not the dog?

Novaheart
01-05-2012, 09:35 PM

Fortunately, the constitution does. You might be guilty of a firearms charge in those other states, but your right to defend yourself in a life or death situation is above state law.

Odysseus
01-05-2012, 09:36 PM

The first degree is likely a plan to get him to plea bargain down, you are right, it doesn't fit the legal description of the crime.

He's getting off lightly, considering that she hadn't exhausted her ammo on the first perp. :D

Novaheart
01-05-2012, 09:47 PM
In the eyes of the law, the pre-meditation is not for the murder, but for going to the house with the intent of committing a burgle. IOW, because he planned to go to the house, and he knew that what they were doing could potentially result in bodily harm or death, he as much as planned the killing.

It's a pretty long-standing legal precept, actually. We just don't often hear about it.

I understand the concept, but I think there ought to be a distinction between the victim getting killed and an accomplice being killed.

If Joe and Ted rob C-mart and Ted kills Mohammed, then Joe should be charged with Mohammed's murder. If Mohammed kills Ted, I don't think Joe should be charged with murder.

I also think that they should make shitting your pants in public a crime, so that they can humiliate guys like the accomplice in Oklahoma by putting out a headling that says, "Man shits his pants when woman defends herself."

namvet
01-05-2012, 09:50 PM
I understand the concept, but I think there ought to be a distinction between the victim getting killed and an accomplice being killed.

If Joe and Ted rob C-mart and Ted kills Mohammed, then Joe should be charged with Mohammed's murder. If Mohammed kills Ted, I don't think Joe should be charged with murder.

I also think that they should make shitting your pants in public a crime, so that they can humiliate guys like the accomplice in Oklahoma by putting out a headling that says, "Man shits his pants when woman defends herself."

in this case man got his shit blown away by armed woman.

ABC in Georgia
01-05-2012, 10:02 PM
shoot first then explain it all at city hall

YIKES!!! :eek:

~ ABC

Wei Wu Wei
01-05-2012, 10:12 PM

baahaha