PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Volt, what a POS.

SarasotaRepub
01-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Why are they sitll marketing this piece o crap??? (http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-gm-call-back-8-000-chevy-160059632.html) :confused::confused:

djones520
01-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Only 8,000 sold? How is the company not bleeding money over this?

Zathras
01-05-2012, 12:58 PM

Because the money came from us, the taxpayers, not Chevy.

Volt, the 21st Century's Edsel.

NJCardFan
01-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Chevy needs to sell about 100,000 more Volts to even broach the success of the Edsel.

AmPat
01-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I read somewhere that the Volt cost taxpayers around $425,000 per unit so far. What a sound investment. Any takers???:confused::rolleyes:

noonwitch
01-05-2012, 02:48 PM

They are selling those awful Chevy Cruz models, which are supposed to be their version of the Focus. We have a couple of Cruz vehicles in our motor pool-they might be cheaper than a Focus, but they are not as well built as a Focus.

linda22003
01-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I read somewhere that the Volt cost taxpayers around $425,000 per unit so far. What a sound investment. Any takers???:confused::rolleyes:

For that, you could get a top of the line Bentley. And a cute chauffeur.

DumbAss Tanker
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM

Well, at that rate, at least they're cheaper than each of the jobs created by Obozo's so-called Jobs Bill.

AmPat
01-05-2012, 04:11 PM

Is she dressed in a french maid outfit?:confused::o

Wei Wu Wei
01-05-2012, 06:15 PM
They are selling those awful Chevy Cruz models, which are supposed to be their version of the Focus. We have a couple of Cruz vehicles in our motor pool-they might be cheaper than a Focus, but they are not as well built as a Focus.

I don't understand why demand for alternative-energy cars is so low. It just makes financial sense. In my opinion, only a moron would buy a gas guzzling money muncher unless they had actual practical need for it. If you work a farm or a home business and need to haul supplies on a regular basis, then a large truck makes sense. However, if you only use your vehicle to transport yourself, the obvious thing to do is try to get the best gas mileage you can.

JB
01-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't understand why demand for alternative-energy cars is so low. It just makes financial sense. In my opinion, only a moron would buy a gas guzzling money muncher unless they had actual practical need for it. If you work a farm or a home business and need to haul supplies on a regular basis, then a large truck makes sense. However, if you only use your vehicle to transport yourself, the obvious thing to do is try to get the best gas mileage you can.You're absolutely right.

I mean, why would anyone eat a steak for dinner when they could sustain themselves with PB&J or bologna. There's no actual practical need to eat steak, so why eat it? Why would anyone drink anything other than water? For about $1.50 a day I can have as much as I want from my tap. Why would I drink coffee or soda. There's no actual practical need for it. Water is all I need. It's the obvious thing to drink.

Wei Wu Wei
01-05-2012, 07:07 PM
You're absolutely right.

I mean, why would anyone eat a steak for dinner when they could sustain themselves with PB&J or bologna. There's no actual practical need to eat steak, so why eat it? Why would anyone drink anything other than water? For about $1.50 a day I can have as much as I want from my tap. Why would I drink coffee or soda. There's no actual practical need for it. Water is all I need. It's the obvious thing to drink.

Both those are one-time purchases. You pay for a steak when you want to eat it, not when you don't want to or when you don't have the money to.

Vehicles are different because you have to keep buying gas to use them. Sure it is nice to eat a fancy restaurant, but I think it would be stupid to eat at one every single night because that is an obscene waste of money. Of course if you have that much money to waste, then it's your right to be stupid and throw it all away unnecessarily. Of course if this is the case, you shouldn't complain about taxes or hard times at work because you choose to throw your money away needlessly.

Likewise, if someone purchased a permanent seat at a fancy resturant and had no fridge, so they were required to eat at that resturant every night, that would be an incredibly stupid move especially if they had a hard time paying for it. I often hear people bitching and crying about gas prices while driving a fuckin Transformer to drop their kids off at school and buy groceries. "Oh boohoo I can't afford these gas prices. Yeah my vehicle requires me to spend $160 to fill up every 5 days, I just wish it wasn't so damn expensive!":rolleyes:

If you have all that money and it makes you feel good to spend it on total frivolities, or you get some rush from throwing your money away, then feel free to do it, but I think it's stupid. I think it's childish to want to spend money for the sake of spending money, it's just the "grown-up" version of trying to be trendy in high school.

However, if you do spend that money and then turn around and cry about taxes or gas prices making your lifestyle unsustainable, then you are just as stupid as a poor family who buys their kids designer shoes and rims that cost more than rent.

AmPat
01-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I don't understand why demand for alternative-energy cars is so low. It just makes financial sense. In my opinion, only a moron would buy a gas guzzling money muncher unless they had actual practical need for it. If you work a farm or a home business and need to haul supplies on a regular basis, then a large truck makes sense. However, if you only use your vehicle to transport yourself, the obvious thing to do is try to get the best gas mileage you can.

A second hand gas guzzler that is paid off is cheaper to drive than an over priced, POC that will need to be replaced in less than five years.

JB
01-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Both those are...<snip>WOW. You really expanded on your original post didn't you?

You went from "actual practical need" (which is commie bullshit code) to people bitching about taxes, having enough money for rims, complaining about oil prices and whether or not they had the money to afford a non-alternative energy vehicle.

Your opinion was that you think a person is a moron if they purchase something they don't have an "actual practical need" for. I was just calling you out on your commie nonsense. If I want to buy a truck even though I live in the city, I'm buying a truck. Go F yourself Josef.

You wanted to explain your commie bullshit by saying people shouldn't buy things if they are not able to financially afford them or if they forego necessities for their children if they did. But all it boils down to is that YOU thinks it's stupid for people to spend frivolously.

Wei Wu Wei
01-05-2012, 07:35 PM
A second hand gas guzzler that is paid off is cheaper to drive than an over priced, POC that will need to be replaced in less than five years.

This can certainty be true. I make up for it by having a used car. It's not a hybrid but it still gets great gas mileage. I can fill up for $30 and drive for 300-350 miles on that.

I don't have to haul any farm equipment so it does the job perfectly and I've been using this vehicle for 7 years now.

Wei Wu Wei
01-05-2012, 07:49 PM
WOW. You really expanded on your original post didn't you?

You went from "actual practical need" (which is commie bullshit code) to people bitching about taxes, having enough money for rims, complaining about oil prices and whether or not they had the money to afford a non-alternative energy vehicle.

Your opinion was that you think a person is a moron if they purchase something they don't have an "actual practical need" for. I was just calling you out on your commie nonsense.

Are you stuck in Rocky IV?

That's not commie bullshit it's common sense.

If you want to be a slavish trend-obsessed consumer who gets their identity from the commercials on Spike TV, then do it, I just think it's stupid. Just don't bitch about not being able to keep it up when you spend all your money to show the world how far you've made it into manhood with some Big Wheels.

If I want to buy a truck even though I live in the city, I'm buying a truck. Go F yourself Josef.

Not everything has to be "practical". You can buy music, which you don't "need" to harvest wheat or whatever the hell nonsense you are talking about.

My only question is why do you desire a truck when you don't need it? What do you get out of owning a truck? What does it do for you, whether it's practical or not, that makes it worth it?

I'm guessing having that truck, owning it, driving it, makes you feel a certain way, and you enjoy feeling that way, so you are willing to pay for it. My only question is why does it take a truck for you to feel that way? Why do your desire and enjoyment operate the way they do?

You wanted to explain your commie bullshit by saying people shouldn't buy things if they are not able to financially afford them or if they forego necessities for their children if they did. But all it boils down to is that YOU thinks it's stupid for people to spend frivolously.

Yes that is my opinion.

JB
01-05-2012, 08:07 PM
If you want to be a slavish trend-obsessed consumer who gets their identity from the commercials on Spike TV, then do it, I just think it's stupid. Just don't bitch about not being able to keep it up when you spend all your money to show the world how far you've made it into manhood with some Big Wheels.Ouch. Was that supposed to wound me? I guess you think I'm a racist too because I don't like Obama. But don't worry...I won't bitch and I won't be disposing of my discretionary income, so no problem.
My only question is why do you desire a truck when you don't need it? What do you get out of owning a truck? What does it do for you, whether it's practical or not, that makes it worth it?When I give a shit about giving you an answer to why I desire a truck, what I get out of owning it and what it does for me, I will let your commie ass know.
I'm guessing having that truck, owning it, driving it, makes you feel a certain way, and you enjoy feeling that way, so you are willing to pay for it. My only question is why does it take a truck for you to feel that way? Why do your desire and enjoyment operate the way they do?What's this, more psycho-analytical bullshit? Get this straight...I don't owe you or anyone else any reason about why I own a truck, and an SUV and a gas lawn mower, etc, etc.

Just you being in my business is enough to make me go out and buy another one. There, analyze that. I may let it sit in my driveway and drive it just once a week. Maybe I'll just let it sit there and idle while I run my gas powered snow blower with my front door open while the heat is running inside my four bedroom house that sits on 2 acres of land I don't farm on. I don't know yet.

AmPat
01-05-2012, 08:16 PM
The snow blower should be put under a load or it won't last as long. Of course this would give you the option of buying a bigger one with much more power.

As for the truck, it is our family station wagon. Much more comfortable and safe on the road. If I go any distance, it's F-150 for me.

JB
01-05-2012, 08:27 PM
The snow blower should be put under a load or it won't last as long. Of course this would give you the option of buying a bigger one with much more power.Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking about getting a new one anyway. Maybe I'll just let this one burn out and then just toss it in a landfill. :D

AmPat
01-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking about getting a new one anyway. Maybe I'll just let this one burn out and then just toss it in a landfill. :D

Don't forget to open the oil fill and gas cap when you throw it out. We must recycle!

Wei Wu Wei
01-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Ouch. Was that supposed to wound me? I guess you think I'm a racist too because I don't like Obama. But don't worry...I won't bitch and I won't be disposing of my discretionary income, so no problem.When I give a shit about giving you an answer to why I desire a truck, what I get out of owning it and what it does for me, I will let your commie ass know.

Hey buddy it's more important for you to answer these questions to yourself than to me, but if you already know why you do all this, and it's working for you, then go on ahead and do what you do.

By the way I also don't like Obama.

What's this, more psycho-analytical bullshit? Get this straight...I don't owe you or anyone else any reason about why I own a truck, and an SUV and a gas lawn mower, etc, etc.

You owe yourself a reason and sometimes it takes someone else to get you thinking about it.

Just you being in my business is enough to make me go out and buy another one. There, analyze that.

Cool you're going to go waste some more of your own hard-earned money to stick it to some guy on the internet? You're just full of great ideas brah,

But hey you don't care enough to answer my questions, you just care enough to make your purchasing decisions to spite me.

I don't know who you are trying to "stick it" to, but I won't lose any sleep over your poor decisions.

I may let it sit in my driveway and drive it just once a week. Maybe I'll just let it sit there and idle while I run my gas powered snow blower with my front door open while the heat is running inside my four bedroom house that sits on 2 acres of land I don't farm on. I don't know yet.

hahaha

So do you live your entire life as an elaborate attempt to prove something to someone who doesn't care?

3rd-try
01-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Economics? A Volt cost twice the amount of a still gas friendly Chevy Cruz. Even if you avoid catching on fire, you won't break even.
And, the Cruz is half the price WITHOUT government subsidies.

It's another gov pie-in-the-sky "vision". And, as usual, it's a total failure.

Wei Wu Wei
01-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Someone at work told me to I should bring a water bottle to work so I won't use up all the paper cups, she said "we need to stop killing the environment!". I told her the environment kills millions of people and I want to kill it before it gets me too. She looked at me like I kicked her puppy.

JB
01-05-2012, 08:46 PM
So do you live your entire life as an elaborate attempt to prove something to someone who doesn't care?That's the entire freaking tounge-in-cheek point, dumb-dumb. Go back and read post# 10 and then ask yourself "why do I care?"

Sheesh.

Wei Wu Wei
01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
That's the entire freaking tounge-in-cheek point, dumb-dumb. Go back and read post# 10 and then ask yourself "why do I care?"

Sheesh.

Fair enough, my opinion is certainly unnecessary, but I don't have to pay for it.

Chuck58
01-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Why would anybody buy a Volt? For the price of a Volt, I could have a Ford Escape and almost enough left for a Focus, that get about 40mpg and doesn't catch fire.

I got such a laugh a few weeks ago, when they boasted how successful the Volt was. Then, they mentioned it had sold 6K. By that standard, the Edsel should be listed as one of the sales phenomenons of the last century.

And, at 35 miles on the batteries a Volt won't even get us to town without switching to gasoline. My wife has her Ford Escape V6 that gets about 24 mpg and I've got my Ford Super Duty that doesn't, and we're happy and not beholden to Govt motors for either.

AmPat
01-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Someone at work told me to I should bring a water bottle to work so I won't use up all the paper cups, she said "we need to stop killing the environment!". I told her the environment kills millions of people and I want to kill it before it gets me too. She looked at me like I kicked her puppy.

I guess she doesn't mind the petroleum produced plastic bottles so much?:rolleyes:

Nubs
01-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Because the Volt is not economically efficient, it is an inefficient use of capital.

Wei Wu Wei
01-05-2012, 09:43 PM
I guess she doesn't mind the petroleum produced plastic bottles so much?:rolleyes:

lol exactly

I was going to bring that up but when I saw that puppy dog face I couldn't go on. I just chuckled and left her alone.

Wei Wu Wei
01-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Because the Volt is not economically efficient, it is an inefficient use of capital.

This might be true of the Volt, I really don't know. I was talking about hybrid/electric cars in general.

SarasotaRepub
01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
We have a big new fancy Public Garage in the city of Sarasota that happens to have free (I think) recharge stations for electric POS cars.

Steven King the writer has a house here on Casey Key and he has a Volt that
he charges up here. The stations are solar powered...

That Lib should PAY!!!!! :mad::D

Novaheart
01-05-2012, 09:49 PM

How do you figure that?

Rockntractor
01-05-2012, 09:57 PM
How do you figure that?

Duh, which way did he go George which way did he go?:confused:

Odysseus
01-05-2012, 10:54 PM

No, the Edsel was a safe car, it was just ugly. The Volt is the 21st Century Ford Pinto.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp4omihj2u1qmr946o1_r1_400.jpg

Rockntractor
01-05-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm thinking go with a battery that is a scaled up version of the dewalt driver drill battery.
Have it snap into place on top of the car like a luggage bin, when battery gets weak you pull into sparkies battery pack station that you have a membership at and presto another battery is snapped in place and you go speeding of at 45mph with a self righteous smile on your face!:)

djones520
01-05-2012, 11:06 PM

Yes.... why did I spend $10,000 on my 2001 Dodge Dakota when I can spend $32,000 on a 2012 Chevy Volt. Considering I spend about $1200 a year in gas for it (I feel I'm being pessimistic), I'd have to drive my truck for 20 years before I even equalled the initial cost of that Volt. That's not counting gas and electricity costs that I would rack up in those 20 years.

In what fucking world does that make financial sense?

NJCardFan
01-05-2012, 11:34 PM
I suppose little elves bring electricity down to said Volt in little wicker baskets, huh?:rolleyes:

Nubs
01-05-2012, 11:34 PM
This might be true of the Volt, I really don't know. I was talking about hybrid/electric cars in general.

I compared a Prius to my paid for Explorer. Based on $5/gallon gas and the mpg differential, I would need to drive the Prius for 15 years to break even. It will take $8/gallon plus to make the Volt financially responsible.

txradioguy
01-06-2012, 05:39 AM
How do you figure that?

Really?

txradioguy
01-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Hmm lets see...$32 grand for a little Checy Volt that has a tendency to catch fire and blow up.

or

$32 grand for a 2011 Dodge Durango.

Care to guess what's sitting in my driveway?

3rd-try
01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
How do you figure that?

GM would never taken the financial risk on the Volt with their own cash. And, now we can see why. Talk about a CEO's head on the choppin' block..

Tax money paid for this failure in the 1at place. I don't think we got to vote on that.

Even now, Volt's price includes $7200 the owner doesn't pay. We do.

Another Obama vision sending our money down the toilet.

Odysseus
01-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Hmm lets see...$32 grand for a little Checy Volt that has a tendency to catch fire and blow up.

or

$32 grand for a 2011 Dodge Durango.

Care to guess what's sitting in my driveway?

Be fair. Give him three guesses. :D

txradioguy
01-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Be fair. Give him three guesses. :D

Ok...since it's friday...

Nubs
01-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Here is another perspective on a supplier to the Volt program:

20 miles away sits the LG Chem LiOn battery plant that builds the battery packs for the Volt. It was built for $330MM of govt backed funds. With 8,000 batteries on the road at the current moment, direct costing places the real cost of a single battery at $41,250.

This car is built for the short haul urban environment with a no gas radius of 20 miles.So if you change from a 20 mpg gas car to Volt, you may save $5 a day on gas or in a consumer product equivalent, you save a venti caramel macchiato or half a pack of smokes a day.

AmPat
01-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Those Hybrids look as well built as the other throw away starter cars that come from Asia. I don't believe we'll be seeing first or second generation Hybrids much past their pay off dates. Also, without subsidies, they wouldn't sell more than a handful except to financial geniuses from the far left.

Considering the cost of the purchase, the upkeep and operational costs, the risk of huge maintenance costs, and having to replace these piles of junk within five years, I'll stick with a full framed, full sized, gas guzzler that is paid off. I'll be able to pull some of these throw away cars to the junk yard with my decades old F-150.

noonwitch
01-06-2012, 12:44 PM

When those cars are as convenient and affordable as a gas-powered vehicle, I'll look into getting one.

In the meantime, my new Focus gets 40 mpg. It's a good car.

djones520
01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
When those cars are as convenient and affordable as a gas-powered vehicle, I'll look into getting one.

In the meantime, my new Focus gets 40 mpg. It's a good car.

I had an 08' Corolla getting 37 MPG. I could drive from St. Louis to Traverse City on one gas tank. And it cost me a whole lot less then the Volt would.

Novaheart
01-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Yes.... why did I spend $10,000 on my 2001 Dodge Dakota when I can spend $32,000 on a 2012 Chevy Volt. Considering I spend about $1200 a year in gas for it (I feel I'm being pessimistic), I'd have to drive my truck for 20 years before I even equalled the initial cost of that Volt. That's not counting gas and electricity costs that I would rack up in those 20 years.

Same deal on my Tacoma. Tacoma doesn't get the best gas mileage, but it gets double the mileage of my GMC truck which it replaced. It cost $11,000 less than the price of a base Prius.

• at $4 per gallon, getting rid of the paid for truck for another paid for truck saved $1200 per year in gasoline, and $200 per year in insurance. The added benefit was that I could get in the new truck and not feel like I was throwing money onto the roadway with every block I drove. It was also nice to have working air conditioning and not get a lap full of water when I turned left in the rain.

• If the price of gasoline were to have doubled (again) to $8/gal then it would take me about ten years to catch up to the price of a Prius, and in ten years I would have a solidly built and reliable ten year old Tacoma rather than a ten year old subcompact which may or may not need new batteries and which is really lousy at hauling yard waste.

Novaheart
01-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Duh, which way did he go George which way did he go?:confused:

So you don't have an answer, it's just something you repeat?

DumbAss Tanker
01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei
I don't understand why demand for alternative-energy cars is so low. It just makes financial sense.

Do the actual math. It doesn't. Even less so if you strip out the completely-artificial $7,500 subsidy on the Volt. For simplicity's sake, I disregard the effect on the consumer of any ethanol subsidy for the competitive vehicles, since between fuel taxes and worse mileage, it comes back to a net zero anyway, but if you want, use the price of mid-grade gas in a comparison to compensate.

Bear in mind that the maximum design life of the Volt battery pack is in the 6-8 year range, at which point it becomes a giant lawn ornament unless you invest about $12,000 more for installation of a new battery pack, while a conventionally powered vehicle, if well-maintained, should go two or three times as long in a serviceable condition before cost of further maintenance on worn systems reduces them to salvage value.

Wei Wu Wei
01-06-2012, 06:15 PM

YEah that makes sense, it works to buy used cars even with a little less great gas miliage than a new hybrid or electric

New cars though I'm not so sure about

NJCardFan
01-06-2012, 09:17 PM
YEah that makes sense, it works to buy used cars even with a little less great gas miliage than a new hybrid or electric

You still haven't addressed my question about where electric comes from.

3rd-try
01-06-2012, 10:00 PM

Just from a pure economic sense, many have to figure the less expensive way of moving themselves around. And, a Volt or even a Prius that in it's typical lifetime doesn't reach a break-even point against a standard fueled car makes little to no economic sense.

And, it's going to be difficult to convince buyers who actually enjoy driving to go that route. My brother just purchased a new Charger RT with 370 HP for $30K. It's a hell of a lot safer and much more fun than a Volt willl ever be.

RobJohnson
01-09-2012, 03:00 AM
Why are they sitll marketing this piece o crap??? (http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-gm-call-back-8-000-chevy-160059632.html) :confused::confused:

If the car needs "structural modifications" that could result in a major repair that would greatly dimmish the value of the car...GM should be buying these cars back.

RobJohnson
01-09-2012, 03:02 AM

It costs money to charge big batteries....electricity production puts off large carbon footprints!

Odysseus
01-09-2012, 10:18 AM

The funny thing is, there is one application for electric vehicles that I've never heard addressed, but which solves a number of problems. Los Angeles is a big bowl that traps smog, so any power generation that can be done outside of the LA Basin is actually a good thing. They have a bus system that runs along fixed routes with depots at the ends. By switching over to electric buses, the city could reduce emissions within the basin while maintaining services, and the biggest problem with electric vehicles, the recharge time, could be solved by having extra battery packs at the terminals. At the end of the route, the driver swaps out the batteries, puts the old ones on the recharger and goes on his way with a fresh set. The increased cost would be justified by the reduction in smog produced by idling buses. Other major cities that don't share LA's unique geography could still get some benefit from this, especially NYC, which as the most extensive surface mass transit system of any American city, as well as the subways.

Of course, the vast majority of people who have experienced the Chevy Dolt are going to be permanently soured on electric vehicles, so I suspect that this will meet with very little enthusiasm, and the celebrities who made a big deal out of being seen in green cars won't care about public transportation, since they'd never be caught dead using it.

DumbAss Tanker
01-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Of course, the vast majority of people who have experienced the Chevy Dolt are going to be permanently soured on electric vehicles...

Fortunately for the electric vehicle advocates, that is a very small number!

:D

AmPat
01-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I can't get past the plain ugliness of the Prius. If I could get past that, as in, somebody gave me one (free), I'd have to fight the image problem of being perceived as a smug,liberal, save-the-planet, whacko.

The upside of the Prius is that If I need a parking space, I can just shove it out of the way or park on top of it.

Novaheart
01-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Everybody knows that. Lectricity comes from lightning. It was invented by Ben Franklin.

Rockntractor
01-09-2012, 02:18 PM
$250,000 In Subsidies Per Chevy Volt Sold

Tom Gantert, Capcon

Send to a Friend

(Editor’s note: This article has been updated with a reaction from a General Motor's official.)

Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.

Hohman looked at total state and federal assistance offered for the development and production of the Chevy Volt, General Motors’ plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. His analysis included 18 government deals that included loans, rebates, grants and tax credits. The amount of government assistance does not include the fact that General Motors is currently 26 percent owned by the...read more
http://www.realclearmarkets.com/2011/12/22/250000_in_subsidies_per_chevy_volt_sold_121766.htm l

Elspeth
01-20-2012, 08:00 PM
And the government SHUTS DOWN investigation of the Volt.

U.S. Ends Chevy Volt Battery Fire Probe (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-20/chevy-volt-battery-fire-investigation-closed-by-u-s-regulator.html)

U.S. regulators ended an investigation into why Chevrolet Volt electric cars caught fire, and said electric vehicles do not pose a greater risk of fire.

The conclusion by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration came two weeks after General Motors Co. (GM) told owners to bring the vehicles to dealerships for repair.

“Based on the available data, NHTSA does not believe that Chevy Volts or other electric vehicles pose a greater risk of fire than gasoline-powered vehicles,” the agency said in an e- mailed statement today.

The government started investigating the Volt after a side- impact crash test in May led to a fire three weeks later. During that test, the lithium-ion battery pack broke open and coolant leaked into the battery. When the car was physically rotated as part of the test, more coolant leaked into a circuit board, leading to a fire. NHTSA replicated the fire in November and started an official probe Nov. 25.

“GM is proud of the technological innovation the Volt represents,” Greg Martin, a GM spokesman, said today in an e- mailed statement. “We appreciate the confidence our Volt customers continued to provide during the investigation.” ....

(More at the link)

SarasotaRepub
01-20-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm Shocked!!!!:emperor:

:D

Odysseus
01-21-2012, 12:00 AM
U.S. regulators ended an investigation into why Chevrolet Volt electric cars caught fire, and said electric vehicles do not pose a greater risk of fire.

Ford said the same thing about the Pinto, didn't they?