PDA

View Full Version : Boffins create race of mutant mega ants

bijou
01-06-2012, 07:37 AM
SCIENTISTS have created a race of mutant mega ants with giant heads and huge jaws after activating ancient genes in the bugs.

Boffins dabbed the larvae of normal ants with a special hormone to transform them into nightmarish 'supersoldiers'.

It's believed the monsters may be a genetic throwback to an ancestor that lived millions of years ago, according to research published today in the journal Science. OMG (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article4043174.ece)

:DDsmilie_panic:

marv
01-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Some of the most memorable "B" movies of the fifties were mutant insects and other assorted critters resulting from nuclear tests in deserts and oceans. But the danger really comes when the "...let's see if we can do this..." scientists forget the law of unintended consequences.

AmPat
01-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Oh great! I saw this movie when I was a child. Scared the crap out of me. You realize when they get big like this they make hideous screeching sounds?:eek:

noonwitch
01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Oh great! I saw this movie when I was a child. Scared the crap out of me. You realize when they get big like this they make hideous screeching sounds?:eek:

I am confident in the Orkin man's abililty to kill them before they cause too much trouble.

AmPat
01-06-2012, 01:07 PM
I am confident in the Orkin man's abililty to kill them before they cause too much trouble.

The Orkin man---?Pishaa! I saw these freaks cut a man in half with their jaws. They drink Raid like Kool-Aid.

Did I mention the screech?

bijou
01-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Well I for one will welcome our new insect overlords. :D

Retread
01-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Supersoldier ants can (and do) occur naturally in the wild and grow to around 4mm (that's an inch and a half), but only rarely.

No new species created, just someone left their old jeans(genes) laying around.

SarasotaRepub
01-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I saw this story yesterday. I bet Shannon would love these guys...:D

Wei Wu Wei
01-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Well I for one will welcome our new insect overlords. :D

clicked to post this

Dan D. Doty
01-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Not to worry guys, I've got the solution already.

How do you stop giant mutant ants?

A really, really BIGmutant spider :p

After that , we get Clint Eastwood to kill the spider ( it worked in the movies). :cool:

noonwitch
01-09-2012, 11:40 AM
The Orkin man---?Pishaa! I saw these freaks cut a man in half with their jaws. They drink Raid like Kool-Aid.

Did I mention the screech?

Snow machines, like they use at ski resorts, could work. When I was a kid, I used to worry about killer bees, until our 6th grade science teacher set us straight by informing us that killer bees couldn't survive a Michigan winter (except this one, so far).

AmPat
01-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Snow machines, like they use at ski resorts, could work. When I was a kid, I used to worry about killer bees, until our 6th grade science teacher set us straight by informing us that killer bees couldn't survive a Michigan winter (except this one, so far).

I like it. Flame throwers are much sexier though.

On edit:

Colorado has killer bees. Better check the stats on those suckers again.