PDA

View Full Version : Student's Yearbook Photo Deemed Too Racy, Banned

enslaved1
01-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Yahoo news linky (http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/colorado-student-banned-yearbook-over-racy-photo-201606793--abc-news.html)

A Colorado teenager whose yearbook picture was rejected for being too revealing is vowing to fight the ban with her high school’s administration, but the editors of the yearbook insist it was their decision alone on the photo.

The five student editors of the Durango High School yearbook in Durango, Col., told the Durango Herald they were the ones who made the call not to publish a picture of senior Sydney Spies posing in a short yellow skirt midriff and shoulder-exposing black shawl as her senior portrait.

“We are an award-winning yearbook. We don’t want to diminish the quality with something that can be seen as unprofessional,” student Brian Jaramillo told the paper on Thursday.

Spies was joined by her mother, Miki Spies, and a handful of fellow Durango High students and alumni in a protest outside the school Wednesday after, she said, administrators informed her the photo would not be permitted because it violated dress code.

“I feel like they aren’t allowing me to have my freedom of expression,” Spies told the Herald. ”I think the administration is wrong in this situation, and I don’t want this to happen to other people.”

snip...

I love the "they aren't allowing me to have my freedom of expression" proof of cluelessness about how rights are supposed to work. Nobody said she couldn't take the picture, Yahoo put it in the story, giving her more exposure for her expression than her yearbook ever would have, and nobody is stopping her from displaying the picture anywhere else. The school gives several reasons why they don't want it in the yearbook, merely removing one place for the pic to be displayed, as opposed to say, confiscating all copies of it, burning the negatives, and throwing her in jail for lewd and lascivious acts. These are the people who will be voting for, making and enforcing laws in the near future. Be afraid, be very afraid.

marv
01-08-2012, 12:09 PM
I agree.

djones520
01-08-2012, 12:09 PM
I loaded the page, but didn't see a pic. Anyone else see it?

Rockntractor
01-08-2012, 12:35 PM

A very lovely girl.:)

marv
01-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Try this clicky (http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/gma/Reuters/abc_sydney_spies_crop_nt_120106_wmain.jpg)...

And if you GOOGLE images, you'll find more here (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_QWz0nYOq4U/TwfOeR2r7TI/AAAAAAAAA_g/bTE-3ciXB5I/s640/1.jpg), and here (http://hungeree.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/sydney_spies_2.jpg).

You can see where her career is going......

djones520
01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Try this clicky (http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/gma/Reuters/abc_sydney_spies_crop_nt_120106_wmain.jpg)...

Ahh... yeah I can see the reason for the call.

No sympathy from me on this, I'm sure she had plenty of other options that were much better and she would have looked just as good in. I think this was about causing a stir more then anything else.

Apache
01-08-2012, 02:27 PM

No sympathy from me on this, I'm sure she had plenty of other options that were much better and she would have looked just as good in. I think this was about causing a stir more then anything else.

Her problem is, she's good looking and she KNOWS it... She wants everyone to know it. I can't stand women like that:rolleyes:

Bailey
01-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I dont have a problem with the picture, she could use it on her resume for when she gets her job as a stripper.

NJCardFan
01-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Just another cookie cutter blonde. Yes she's pretty but so are a million or so other girls who looks like her.

Rockntractor
01-08-2012, 06:43 PM
She would be nice to have around to tidy things up, she could where a little maids uniform, if she is 18 of course.:)

DumbAss Tanker
01-08-2012, 07:05 PM
...But she's special...just like everyone else.

:rolleyes:

RobJohnson
01-09-2012, 02:41 AM

Did she violate the school's dress code in any way? If not, the picture should be published.

RobJohnson
01-09-2012, 02:43 AM
She would be nice to have around to tidy things up, she could where a little maids uniform, if she is 18 of course.:)

I agree. She wil have no problem finding a summer job during college.

DumbAss Tanker
01-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Did she violate the school's dress code in any way? If not, the picture should be published.

That's actually the kind of absolutist rule-based thinking that has our schools so FUBAR now, since everyone wants to fight about any actual exercise of judgment instead of sucking it up and moving on, giving us 'Zero tolerance' policies for violence that get a kid suspended for chewing his PBJ into a pistol shape or pointing his finger and saying 'Pow!', or the same thing for sexual harassment that get a kid suspended for telling a teacher she looks pretty.

"Poor taste" or "Unprofessional" are not standards that can be reasonably anticipated in every possible variation in a document anyone would actually be able to read, and it sounds like here there was a decision process in place to make the call. She should shut up and abide by it.

Novaheart
01-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Future Crack Whores of America gallery.

AmPat
01-09-2012, 12:21 PM

And if you GOOGLE images, you'll find more here (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_QWz0nYOq4U/TwfOeR2r7TI/AAAAAAAAA_g/bTE-3ciXB5I/s640/1.jpg), and here (http://hungeree.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/sydney_spies_2.jpg).

You can see where her career is going......

She is obviously attempting more than a casual remember when I had looks photo? She is an attention whore, not so plain and simple.:o
In ten years, she'll be throwing herself at the newest patron at Joe's Bar.

Novaheart
01-09-2012, 12:23 PM

Apparently we're not talking about her headshot being excluded from the class photos, but some kind of "candid" shot. I don't know how she would have known that the shot had been considered in the first place. In any event, she looks like an ad for Barely 18 Girls Gone Wild.

NJCardFan
01-09-2012, 02:13 PM

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/gma/Reuters/abc_sydney_spies_crop_nt_120106_wmain.jpg

Bailey
01-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Future Crack Whores of America gallery.

Or Future strippers of America :D

Odysseus
01-10-2012, 10:40 AM
She is obviously attempting more than a casual remember when I had looks photo? She is an attention whore, not so plain and simple.:o
In ten years, she'll be throwing herself at the newest patron at Joe's Bar.

Or Future strippers of America :D

Depending on how savvy she is, this could end up working very well for her. All that she needs to do is get with Gloria Alred and do the news shows, where she can lament the puritanical mores of her high school yearbook staff while flashing her assets, followed by a Playboy pictorial (if she's 18, if not, then she needs to do a few similar actions in order to stay in the public eye until she's legal). If she's not doing walk-ons for Two and a Half Men in a couple of years, I'll be surprised.

NJCardFan
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Depending on how savvy she is, this could end up working very well for her. All that she needs to do is get with Gloria Alred and do the news shows, where she can lament the puritanical mores of her high school yearbook staff while flashing her assets, followed by a Playboy pictorial (if she's 18, if not, then she needs to do a few similar actions in order to stay in the public eye until she's legal). If she's not doing walk-ons for Two and a Half Men in a couple of years, I'll be surprised.

From the looks of her, her "assets" need some augmentation.

noonwitch
01-10-2012, 01:06 PM
If the photo was just a head and shoulders shot, it would have been okay. They used to take photos of women wearing just a wrap around their shoulders-my mom's high school senior photo was like that and so were the photos that they took of us for the sorority composites.

But she tried to submit a full body photo in which she is showing off a lot more skin than her shoulders and maybe the tops of her breasts. School dress codes usually forbid showing off one's stomach/belly button.

Odysseus
01-10-2012, 04:41 PM
From the looks of her, her "assets" need some augmentation.
Not necessarily. Sometimes petite and perky is a nice change of pace.

If the photo was just a head and shoulders shot, it would have been okay. They used to take photos of women wearing just a wrap around their shoulders-my mom's high school senior photo was like that and so were the photos that they took of us for the sorority composites.

But she tried to submit a full body photo in which she is showing off a lot more skin than her shoulders and maybe the tops of her breasts. School dress codes usually forbid showing off one's stomach/belly button.

From the article, it doesn't appear to have been her individual yearbook photo, so much as one of the other pics that kids submit for the pages that talk about school activities. She's still in the yearbook, but her individual photo is, presumably, a more traditional portrait.

Evil Anti DU Man
01-11-2012, 08:58 PM
I don't know, maybe she can take different pictures and have one of them in the yearbook?

Nah.

Hawkgirl
01-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Playboy will be calling her soon. Perhaps it was her plan all along.

Kay
01-11-2012, 10:53 PM
I bet her mama is jealous and wears the same type of outfits.

Odysseus
01-11-2012, 11:53 PM

I don't think that I've ever seen a high school yearbook with a centerfold. :D

noonwitch
01-12-2012, 10:10 AM
I bet her mama is jealous and wears the same type of outfits.

You are bad.

But you are probably right.

Bailey
01-12-2012, 10:26 AM

She is cute but not playboy cute. She might be able to get into a mag like swank or similar low class mags.

Odysseus
01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
She is cute but not playboy cute. She might be able to get into a mag like swank or similar low class mags.

Playboy centerfolds are heavily retouched. It's why Adobe made Photoshop. By the time a photoshoot has hit the layout stage, the model's blemishes have been removed, her skin tones evened out, even the angle of her eyes or her curves can be adjusted and usually is. What you see is not what was in the studio. She's as cute as most of their models, and with the right digital enhancements, she'll be a knockout.

NJCardFan
01-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't think that I've ever seen a high school yearbook with a centerfold. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqDjMZKf-wg&ob=av2e

Kay
01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Playboy centerfolds are heavily retouched. It's why Adobe made Photoshop. By the time a photoshoot has hit the layout stage, the model's blemishes have been removed, her skin tones evened out, even the angle of her eyes or her curves can be adjusted and usually is. What you see is not what was in the studio. She's as cute as most of their models, and with the right digital enhancements, she'll be a knockout.

That's for sure. If they made a crack-whore with meth-rotted teeth
like Lindsey Lohan look good then anybody can be a Playboy centerfold. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
01-12-2012, 04:42 PM
like Lindsey Lohan look good then anybody can be a Playboy centerfold. :rolleyes:
Lindsey isn't that bad off yet and airbrushed or not, damn. NSFW guys but you finally get to see Lindsey's funbags: http://philly.barstoolsports.com/around-barstool/the-lindsay-lohan-playboy-pictures-are-here-nsfw/

That said, the best example of Playboy's fun with airbrushing was Jaid Barrymore(Drew's mother). Back when I actually got Playboy, they did a pictorial with her and I was like 'wow, she's hot'. Then I was her on TV and she looked like a skull with hair.

Odysseus
01-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Lindsey isn't that bad off yet and airbrushed or not, damn. NSFW guys but you finally get to see Lindsey's funbags: http://philly.barstoolsports.com/around-barstool/the-lindsay-lohan-playboy-pictures-are-here-nsfw/

That said, the best example of Playboy's fun with airbrushing was Jaid Barrymore(Drew's mother). Back when I actually got Playboy, they did a pictorial with her and I was like 'wow, she's hot'. Then I was her on TV and she looked like a skull with hair.

I'm not a fan of that degree of retouching. Most Playboy celebrity pictorials no longer look like the celebrity. The Sharon Stone and Drew Barrymore pictorials were particularly egregious.

AmPat
01-12-2012, 07:14 PM

I wonder what they could do with me?:eek:

Odysseus
01-12-2012, 09:48 PM

Do you really want to know? I have Photoshop CS3 on one computer and Photoshop 7.0 on another. :D

Kay
01-12-2012, 10:01 PM

Remember when they put Joe Namath in panty hose?
I'm sure something similar could be arranged.