PDA

View Full Version : How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body

bijou
01-09-2012, 01:03 PM
On a cold Saturday in early 2009, Glenn Black, a yoga teacher of nearly four decades, whose devoted clientele includes a number of celebrities and prominent gurus, was giving a master class at Sankalpah Yoga in Manhattan. Black is, in many ways, a classic yogi: he studied in Pune, India, at the institute founded by the legendary B. K. S. Iyengar, and spent years in solitude and meditation. He now lives in Rhinebeck, N.Y., and often teaches at the nearby Omega Institute, a New Age emporium spread over nearly 200 acres of woods and gardens. He is known for his rigor and his down-to-earth style. But this was not why I sought him out: Black, I’d been told, was the person to speak with if you wanted to know not about the virtues of yoga but rather about the damage it could do. Many of his regular clients came to him for bodywork or rehabilitation following yoga injuries. This was the situation I found myself in. In my 30s, I had somehow managed to rupture a disk in my lower back and found I could prevent bouts of pain with a selection of yoga postures and abdominal exercises. Then, in 2007, while doing the extended-side-angle pose, a posture hailed as a cure for many diseases, my back gave way. With it went my belief, naïve in retrospect, that yoga was a source only of healing and never harm.

At Sankalpah Yoga, the room was packed; roughly half the students were said to be teachers themselves. Black walked around the room, joking and talking. “Is this yoga?” he asked as we sweated through a pose that seemed to demand superhuman endurance. “It is if you’re paying attention.” His approach was almost free-form: he made us hold poses for a long time but taught no inversions and few classical postures. Throughout the class, he urged us to pay attention to the thresholds of pain. “I make it as hard as possible,” he told the group. “It’s up to you to make it easy on yourself.” He drove his point home with a cautionary tale. In India, he recalled, a yogi came to study at Iyengar’s school and threw himself into a spinal twist. Black said he watched in disbelief as three of the man’s ribs gave way — pop, pop, pop.

After class, I asked Black about his approach to teaching yoga — the emphasis on holding only a few simple poses, the absence of common inversions like headstands and shoulder stands. He gave me the kind of answer you’d expect from any yoga teacher: that awareness is more important than rushing through a series of postures just to say you’d done them. But then he said something more radical. Black has come to believe that “the vast majority of people” should give up yoga altogether. It’s simply too likely to cause harm.

Not just students but celebrated teachers too, Black said, injure themselves in droves because most have underlying physical weaknesses or problems that make serious injury all but inevitable. Instead of doing yoga, “they need to be doing a specific range of motions for articulation, for organ condition,” he said, to strengthen weak parts of the body. “Yoga is for people in good physical condition. Or it can be used therapeutically. It’s controversial to say, but it really shouldn’t be used for a general class.” ...http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1&ref=general&src=me

Starbuck
01-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Good thing lifting extremely heavy weights is not harmful. Zafod would look pretty foolish.:)

Rockntractor
01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Good thing lifting extremely heavy weights is not harmful. Zafod would look pretty foolish.:)

Wasn't he lifting Yugo the other day?:confused::eek:

Zafod
01-09-2012, 05:02 PM

I must break you....

Starbuck
01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I must break you....

You can't. Yoga has made be so flexible I will only bend.

Zafod
01-09-2012, 06:49 PM
You can't. Yoga has made be so flexible I will only bend.

But you can rip and tear....remember that.

Articulate_Ape
01-10-2012, 01:23 AM
But you can rip and tear....remember that.

Yes, but you'll be wearing a kilt.

RobJohnson
01-10-2012, 04:05 AM
I will now stop Yoga right away...:rotfl:

Starbuck
01-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Yes, but you'll be wearing a kilt.

That kilt is actually a weapon. The sight of someone threatening you while wearing a skirt will drive most people to floor-pounding hysterics. Those people are then easily defeated.:)

AmPat
01-10-2012, 12:17 PM
I can only do yoga if I mix in a little fruit, (not the Kalifornia kind).

Zafod
01-10-2012, 01:27 PM
That kilt is actually a weapon. The sight of someone threatening you while wearing a skirt will drive most people to floor-pounding hysterics. Those people are then easily defeated.:)

it worked for the Scotts didnt it? ;)

its ok. Im used to the tired old meat head comments.
Its funny that one of the guys I train used to say those same things but I got him into throwing heavy blunt objects and training hard. He put on a few slabs of muscle and now people are calling him a meat head lol

I take it as a badge of honor. jealousy is ugly beast isnt it? ;)

Articulate_Ape
01-10-2012, 02:25 PM

Actually, the reasoning behind the kilt is that sheep can hear a zipper from 20 meters away.

Hawkgirl
01-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I need to get back into yoga....I need to find a studio that practices Brikam Yoga...aka HOT yoga. I never felt better after one of those classes.

jendf
01-11-2012, 01:20 AM
I need to get back into yoga....I need to find a studio that practices Brikam Yoga...aka HOT yoga. I never felt better after one of those classes.

I want to try that! I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Hawkgirl
01-11-2012, 03:02 AM
I want to try that! I've heard nothing but good things about it.

The heated room actually relaxes your muscles so you have virtually no pain or stiffness afterwards. The cool down feels so good too when the bring the temperature down to 85 from 95...lol..
You will sweat, so bring a towel and a large bottle of water. I've been exercising nearly all my life and have done aerobics, step and difficult group classes. Hot Yoga was the best, hands down....and you will Lose a lot of weight if you do it consistently.

My daughter is now 2 1/2 and I pretty much stopped exercising after I brought her home...other than some swimming. I'm going to join a gym soon and get back on track. If my local Bikram had childcare I would go, but they don't. Maybe when my daughter starts pre-school, I will get back into it.

RobJohnson
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
12:33p
It is now 110 degrees and 95% humidity. I am now balancing on one leg with the other leg crossed over the other. My arms are intertwined and I am squatting. The last time I was in this position was 44 years ago in the womb, but I'm in this for the long haul. My wife looks slightly weathered dripping sweat and her eyeliner is streaming down her face. Well, "for better or worse" is what we committed to so we press on.

Yoga mat for sale. Used once. - $1 (http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-3153/Hilarious-Yoga-Mat-for-Sale-Ad-on-Craigslist.html)

Artois
01-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Yoga classes are amazing. When I was single, I attended them weekly :D

AmPat
01-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Yoga classes are amazing. When I was single, I attended them weekly :D

You wretched, wicked man. Avert your gaze.:D

fettpett
01-19-2012, 10:50 AM
it worked for the Scotts didnt it? ;)

its ok. Im used to the tired old meat head comments.
Its funny that one of the guys I train used to say those same things but I got him into throwing heavy blunt objects and training hard. He put on a few slabs of muscle and now people are calling him a meat head lol

I take it as a badge of honor. jealousy is ugly beast isnt it? ;)

did it? seem to recall they got their asses handed to them by the Brits on several occasions :D

Starbuck
01-19-2012, 12:17 PM
did it? seem to recall they got their asses handed to them by the Brits on several occasions :D

Yeah, but the Brits used knives and stuff! If they had been armed properly with tractor tires and cement blocks, the Scots woulda sent 'em packin'.:D:D